Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'm still playing VS Force off and on, its still fun but I'm not a fan of the game using the Char version of the Rick Dias as standard troops instead of the actual MP Rick. It's not that bad when you can pick your squad layout but on missions where you're locked into a bunch of 500-1000 cost MP troops it's a loving nightmare trying to make any progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

The GIG posted:

I'm still playing VS Force off and on, its still fun but I'm not a fan of the game using the Char version of the Rick Dias as standard troops instead of the actual MP Rick. It's not that bad when you can pick your squad layout but on missions where you're locked into a bunch of 500-1000 cost MP troops it's a loving nightmare trying to make any progress.

I hear ya. Bugs the crap outta me. I don't know if I like or hate VS Force. I like it because I feel it handles the scale battles way better than Gundam Musou, but the way the game controls makes me just want to play Full Boost instead as it does not really feel suited for a non fighting game. Also I hate how it covers ZZ. (I also hate that you have the White Base in ZZ). So much about VS Force is disappointing.

Also, it sounds like a new VS Game is coming and might be getting a Worldwide release? (If this was mentioned here already, sorry, as I probably missed it amoung all the Moon Dwellers posts). http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/20001010.html

Taken from Reddit posted:

Producer Ryuichiro Baba: We had an aim to provide different gameplays between Arcade and Console versions. The reason why PSVita's EXVS Force had a main focus on story was because we wanted to properly secure solo play to a new layer [of fans]. But on the other hand we couldn't live up to the expectations of the Gundam VS fans who have been about 2-on-2. We acknowledge that as a big improvement point.

Assistant Naoya Yasuda: The Arcade has a specific live sense of inviting friends. We're thinking of establishing a new gameplay that's specific to Console. Right now the hardware specs and infrastructure that can realize those have lined up, so we want to expand it not only in Japan but also to the World.

General Manager Yusuke Sasaki: If we considered the Arcade-based EXVS series as Gundam VS series' 4th generation, the next thing we should aim for is a 5th generation of Gundam VS that applies to Worldwide.

Naoya Yasuda: Actually speaking, that 5th generation of Gundam VS has already had the development progressing, with a new team that has Sasaki and myself in the center, as well as VSTG members who have developed EXVS until now. It still takes a bit more time until we can inform the details. In the 5th generation of Gundam VS, we want the title to be able to expand the invitation circle to worldwide where you can leisurely call new friends to "Let's do it together!"

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Seriously, what the hell happened to Bandai Namco to make them change their tune? A decade of "lol gently caress you" turned into "LET'S GIVE THEM EVERY GAME!"

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Range up ability parts and Ryoto or Yuuki's ace increase the range of the Excellence Rescue's repair (and maybe resupply?) giving you 6 range repair with Yuuki and ability parts!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Seriously, what the hell happened to Bandai Namco to make them change their tune? A decade of "lol gently caress you" turned into "LET'S GIVE THEM EVERY GAME!"
Maybe some intractable bastard somewhere high up in Bamco finally retired or died or something?

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Maybe they realized that expanding to an international audience would literally print them money?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Policenaut posted:

Whatever Bandai's model division was smoking in calendar 2015 (we got some crazy kits) got passed to the video game guys this year.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!
They're also (re)-releasing like every Gundam series with the help of Right Stuf in English. They've done Blu-Rays of like 0079, Zeta (instrumental OPs though), ZZ, CCA, Build Fighters, Build Fighters Try, and Victory is on the way along with G in Reco, and Turn A TV is getting a Blu Ray release after getting a DVD release, etc. Thunderbolt and Origin (along with Unicorn of course) all have English on the Japanese releases so they want you to import those, but there is a lot of legit options now for Gundam in English.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

Policenaut posted:

I think it's a combination of Sword Art Online being a bizarre financial success despite the "worse than MD" translation quality and seeing the signs that catering to Japan solely really isn't going to sustain itself anymore with its aging population.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Policenaut posted:

And KOEI too!

What a time to be alive :allears:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
All we need now is for sega to get on board and all will be right in the world.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dre2Dee2 posted:

And KOEI too!

What a time to be alive :allears:

When did Koei go the 'The 'west'? what's that'? stint?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So in continuing my learning about how SRW really works as opposed to my horrible flailing in the other games I've played, how is co-op attack damage determined? By which I mean, do you need to upgrade the weapons of both suits involved?

Also, I don't know how I even beat OG1/2 without using status effect weapons, now that I'm using poo poo like Armor Breaker, goddamn. :stare:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So in continuing my learning about how SRW really works as opposed to my horrible flailing in the other games I've played, how is co-op attack damage determined? By which I mean, do you need to upgrade the weapons of both suits involved?

Also, I don't know how I even beat OG1/2 without using status effect weapons, now that I'm using poo poo like Armor Breaker, goddamn. :stare:

Yeah, you need to upgrade weapons of both things involved in a combination attack. That will raise the cumulative attack value for both people. For example, with Rampage Ghost, you upgrade Revolving Stake/Bunker and Oxtongue W/Howling X both in order to get a maximized bonus.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Ah, the days when combination attacks only used one weapon each and not, you know, all of them, at once. Eternal Darning Needle and TK Double Knuckle would not have worked if they hadn't moved up to unified weapon upgrades.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That was my experience replaying them a while back, it's so much easier once you have an idea of what you're supposed to do! I even two turned the R-Gun Rivale! I remember my first time I had people in the planes on the final map because why would you ever use a super robot when other dudes can just dodge.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I beat the video game, it was good. Last stage snuck up on me because I got spoiled by 2nd OGs having like fuckin' 60. Is this secrets list complete or is this just the only ones people have found so far? http://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/OGMD/Secrets Because boy that's looking real thin

e: It also snuck up on me because there were a handful loose plot threads that I thought were gonna get wrapped up but didn't. Also also the more I think about the length/how much was recycled from 2nd OGs/the relative sparseness of new and optional content, the more MD seems like a Gaiden 2 than a 3rd OGs. Which I probably should have gathered from it not having a number and is totally fine anyway because I enjoyed it! I hope the next real big made-for-PS4 OG game gets a very goofy English release too.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Sep 7, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
As far as I know, yeah.

The developers went on record to say that OG MD was full on 3rd OGs and not just another Gaiden, but drat if it doesn't feel like one.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm excited for Crowe stealing Ing's lunch money next game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlitzBlast posted:

As far as I know, yeah.

The developers went on record to say that OG MD was full on 3rd OGs and not just another Gaiden, but drat if it doesn't feel like one.
Yeah it's definitely just to fill the gap before the Alpha 3 storyline starts. I don't know why they wouldn't acknowledge that since it's plenty good as it is.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

The DK Rap posted:

An update for English MD is out (that's basically as big the base game itself) that adds the Archive mode that recaps OGs, OGG, 2nd OG and Dark Prison.

Ah thanks. I came here just to see wth was with that 6+ gig patch

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm excited for Crowe stealing Ing's lunch money next game.

The only way the Z characters should show up is just warping in from a crossgate post Z3.

The only real complaint I have about Moon Dwellers story wise is that the GameCube villains got unceremoniously genocided.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hokuto posted:

Yeah, you need to upgrade weapons of both things involved in a combination attack. That will raise the cumulative attack value for both people. For example, with Rampage Ghost, you upgrade Revolving Stake/Bunker and Oxtongue W/Howling X both in order to get a maximized bonus.

Ah, okay. I was hoping I'd just have to upgrade the SRX, but might as well pour some cash into the R-Gun's weapons too. I wanna see what this baby is really capable of, since I've never been too keen on either suit. At least for the four or five missions I have left in MD's endgame.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 7, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah it's definitely just to fill the gap before the Alpha 3 storyline starts. I don't know why they wouldn't acknowledge that since it's plenty good as it is.

Probably because their explicit goal was to make a game accessible for newcomers and a Gaiden might scare people off.

That said "it's the full 3rd OG" seems silly to me as MD has less new content or plot development than OGG did. It's basically just a retelling of SRWJ with the GC guys along for the ride.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They had to flesh out their favorite character Miles

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It's basically just a retelling of SRWJ with the GC guys along for the ride.

I mean, the game is called Moon Dwellers.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
OG2's subtitle was The Inspectors and those guys ended up as like third on the villain hierarchy.

As for OGG's Unified Wisdom, uhhhhhhhhhh.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Lengthwise MD is 2ndOG without the Masoukishin bit at the start. Contentwise? Not so much, which is why I hope it's not going to be another 4 years before we get the next part.

Do you lot think it succeeded as a supposed entry point?

Ethiser posted:

The only way the Z characters should show up is just warping in from a crossgate post Z3.

I am definitely not in any rush for them to show up, but I think there is some neat crossover stuff they could do with their early arcs that would make it worth the retelling. Setsuko and Crowe are interesting enough, Rand is fun enough and Hibiki needs the rework in 12 years when we finally get to him. I also really want to see the interactions between Aim and pretty much any OGverse character, especially Shu and Chika.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Eh. No more or less than other games I'd say. Touma's plot I guess serves as an okay 'slowly moving into things' things. It's self-contained rather than finishing off plotlines but also sets up other plotlines (Balmar) or pays off plotlines (return of the Time Flow engine).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I guess they did introduce that newbie route which seems to be a unique set of 13 stages or whatever? I don't know, didn't look at them but they are a separate line on the scenario chart. Or maybe that's something else.

They better not go straight to Z and skip SRW W :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

I guess they did introduce that newbie route which seems to be a unique set of 13 stages or whatever? I don't know, didn't look at them but they are a separate line on the scenario chart. Or maybe that's something else.

My understanding is that the newbie route is just the regular game but without the option to pick Calvina and some minor difficulty adjustments.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rascyc posted:

They're going to have W next game. Every OG game since OG2 has had a handheld SRW in release sequence. OG2 had A, OGG had R, OG2nd had D, finally Moon Dwellers has J.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At this point they introduced Ain and the Balmar Fucks, Touma, Selena, and Kusuha's done her A2 plot. A3 HAS to be next game.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Dr Pepper posted:

They're going to have W next game. Every OG game since OG2 has had a handheld SRW in release sequence. OG2 had A, OGG had R, OG2nd had D, finally Moon Dwellers has J.

I am still expecting a DLC that includes the first half of W, opening the next game to really go into the meat of that original plot.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Being available in English probably helped it more than anything else there.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

ImpAtom posted:

At this point they introduced Ain and the Balmar Fucks, Touma, Selena, and Kusuha's done her A2 plot. A3 HAS to be next game.

Oh gee it sure is interesting that they redrew the R-Gun and Art-1 for MD. While leaving the rest of the R-series alone.

Wonder what's up with that. :allears:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm not sure a game where most of the grunts have irritating gimmicks is a good entry point. Also a lot of them are set to evade/defend during your turn in many, many missions and that's just unfun.

I'm only in the low 20's but MD is one of the more difficult SRWs so far, not quite A Portable but harder than Hakai-hen. Most of the difficulty is in performing minor acts of wizardry for the SR points and the secrets, but every now and then the grunts put up a real fight and a boss triggers lucky when you didn't have spirits up.

I can't decide if I love them or hate them for that trick. Missing with a 100% hit rate and getting crit'd with a 0% is a dick move but it's kind of hilarious and easily prevented by casting spirits.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 7, 2016

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I did the newbie route! You're auto-locked into Touya route. The prologue stage is all cutscene until the first playable bit is Granteed landing next to Touya's house. You skip the stage that is CompatiKaiser vs Soulsaber or whatever its called. After that it's exactly the same as regular mode except the difficulty is locked to Normal and you get more money and 20k money added on for SR points. There might be some cutscene differences in and around the Granteed arrival stage I haven't done the Touya route in normal mode yet. For scenario chart completion Beginner mode and Normal mode have 100% crossover except for that 1 stage on Touya's route you don't do.

Rascyc posted:

Z is a way off so you have nothing to worry about. Alpha 3 is next game, maybe with W (fingers crossed). If current trend of release order continues its W, then Z1, K, NEO, L and then Z2.

Edit: as far as I know lucky isn't trumped by any spirits. Strike certainly doesn't help and that fat fucker will dodge every hit of a Maximum Break if it procs.

EthanSteele fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 7, 2016

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Wasn't the word that the Z series wouldn't be included in OG? You know, because of reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Montegoraon posted:

Wasn't the word that the Z series wouldn't be included in OG? You know, because of reasons.

Terada said in an interview years ago that the Z originals weren't designed with OG in mind. For some reason people take this to mean that no Z characters will appear in OG ever.

• Locked thread