Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
There was definitely an Ultra 64 news release like that in either Nintendo power or egm because I felt really cool telling my mom that the SNES successor was going to be called the Ultra super Nintendo before that magazine came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You amigalords will probably love this: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1093001909/rad-rodgers-the-return-of-the-90s-era-apogee-platf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HHZfVCbssE

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Pfft they name drop a bunch of crap platformers and then don't mention the gen of the era? Hello?? Jill of the jungle???

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Found some decent deals at Goodwill today. Controller was $3.

Controller had a floppy stick but I'm stocked up on stick gear replacements now so no worries. I finally got to replace my old translucent green controller that perished in a heated game of NFL Blitz years ago.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I don't have many good feelings for euro mascot platformers but it's always nice to see a retro style game where they seem to be trying to take advantage of moedrn computer graphical power rather than slavishly adhering to the look of the old games

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm nitpicking, I suppose, but the KS page makes it clear it's a DOS game throwback (Apogee, specifically), not Amiga.

Granted, nothing about that trailer makes me think "DOS", but it's what they're trying to go for, anyway.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

wa27 posted:

Controller had a floppy stick but I'm stocked up on stick gear replacements now so no worries. I finally got to replace my old translucent green controller that perished in a heated game of NFL Blitz years ago.
Super Mario 64 for $600

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm nitpicking, I suppose, but the KS page makes it clear it's a DOS game throwback (Apogee, specifically), not Amiga.

Granted, nothing about that trailer makes me think "DOS", but it's what they're trying to go for, anyway.

I'm nitpicking too because the character and aesthetic is straight out of Ruff n' Tumble to the point where if it didn't have a different title I would've thought it was Giana Sisters style reboot. There's definitely more similarities to that and Turrican than anything Apogee aside from gems being the pickups.

But so much DNA was shared between platforms that the distinction doesn't matter much.

e: The main character of Ruff 'n Tumble is Ruff Rogers, they were probably fishing for the license but couldn't get it.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 7, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Shadow Hog posted:

They're namedropping Apogee because Interceptor Entertainment sorta-acquired 3D Realms who sorta-owned Apogee? I can't remember how that played out in the end but they're all very interconnected.

The developers are European and the game is extremely reminiscent of a specific Amiga game called Ruff 'n Tumble:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Kvpm4t4A1o

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

it seems like they're mentioning the apogee/id stuff to get people outside the UK interested because the people nostalgic for ruff n tumble et al is pretty small globally

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Looks almost identical to that Giana Sisters' reboot, which was also a Commodore euro-platformer.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

wa27 posted:

drat lucky find. I've been looking for Banjo-Kazooie myself...

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So I've been thinking of getting into some Twitch streaming / video capture, mainly for shits and giggles. So I got a capture device to start messing around with and exploring those particular areas.

This one, to be exact:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181381949177

No, that price isn't wrong; it was less than $5 for me to acquire, shipped from China. So how well does a $5 USB capture device actually capture video?

Not too bad at all, considering the price. Those two images are from Super Street Fighter II, played through my Everdrive on a S-Video modded SNES Mini (through S-Video of course), and captured through Virtualdub with H264 compression. I then "snapshotted" the images from the output video file in Media Player Classic at 100%. It also works with the Open Broadcaster Software client for Twitch, so yeah. Totally the wrong way to go about this sort of thing, but gently caress it - for $5, it's quite satisfactory.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, I have an old EasyCap lying around but mine (there's a few different ones that all look the same but have different chipsets) doesn't support PAL60, which sucks. Makes me wish my DTV1000T didn't hate Windows 10 so much.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

d0s posted:

I don't have many good feelings for euro mascot platformers but it's always nice to see a retro style game where they seem to be trying to take advantage of moedrn computer graphical power rather than slavishly adhering to the look of the old games

I dunno, Shovel Knight did it real well even if Shovel Knight could never run on a Nintendo. They used it as a base line of "this is how it should look but what if all those nuances from the NES were gone" and I think it was pulled off rather nicely.

Now if that game doesn't have some bitching synth cracktro it's dead to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
P.N.03's ending is goddamn magical :allears:.

"So I'm a clone?"

"Yup".

"...Are you a clone?"

"I dunno, maybe :shrug:"

"Huh... I'm going home, peace out other Vanessa".

It's also not that bad a game. The controls are clunky as poo poo, but they're at least functional and the boss fights are actually pretty good.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
SNES Everdrive arrived and made my life better.
e: Nm, save game, quit, start another rom like 240p test = savegame is stored in the original rom. Translated DQ3 SFC is p.great.

What I want to ask, PVM question:
What do you prefer? Keeping a perfectly rectangular clean frame, or letting it overscan? Hmm

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 8, 2016

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flyboi posted:

I dunno, Shovel Knight did it real well even if Shovel Knight could never run on a Nintendo. They used it as a base line of "this is how it should look but what if all those nuances from the NES were gone" and I think it was pulled off rather nicely.

Speaking of cracktros, I love how a lot of trainers meant for use with original Xbox game son the hard drive have the old-school chiptune playing loaders, instead of just being XBMC trainer plugins.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

flyboi posted:

yeah there are one or two examples of a game like that being awesome (cave story is one I like a lot) but I think pixels were more interesting when they were a necessity, and 9/10 times I'd rather play an actual retro game than a new game that looks like one. by taking the old play styles and combining it with more modern graphics it brings back the feeling of playing old games more than just copying the old pixel style for me, because back then you were looking at the cutting edge. I specifically looked for games at the rental places that seemed technically amazing because I wanted to see what the programmers could do with the hardware. what I never stopped enjoying were certain genres that are no longer very relevant today, not really an aesthetic

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Games that develop with their platform's strengths as opposed to against their weaknesses will almost always turn out better. As an example, stuff like the Sega CD tried to push FMV before the hardware was ready, and it sucked. But games like Popful Mail used the new resources more intelligently and were better. FMV games work on modern gear, and a few decent ones have come out. Or you have things like the Saturn doing 3D games when it was better suited to doing 2D ones. We might see this happen again with VR? Who knows.

I'm trying to think of games that utilize the particular features of their platform well and the only thing coming immediately to mind right now is Knuckles Chaotix. OK, it's a Genesis addon. So we'll make a Sonic game, but add features that the 32X adds, like more colors and scaling sprites.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm trying to think of games that utilize the particular features of their platform well

There are a ton of SNES games that use mode 7 brilliantly, that stuff used to wow me back in the day. I'm more talking about games that push the capabilities of the platform rather than relying on a gimmick like FMV. There are many later 8 and 16-bit games that are technically working against the weakness of the platform but managed to be amazing because the developers had pretty much mastered the hardware

edit: even in the case of the saturn sure you had a lot of terrible 3D games, but there are a few standouts like sega rally or bulk slash that are that much more amazing considering what they did with what was available

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 8, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It came up in the shmups thread but it's probably of wider interest to a lot of you:

M2, the retro port dudes behind Sega 3D Classics and other well-regarded retro re-release projects, have announced a new publishing label called "M2 ShotTriggers" for the purpose of porting and self-publishing old shmups, with the first two announced titles being Battle Garegga (a respected bullet hell game by Raizing that got a very good Saturn port) and Dangun Feveron (an obscure not-bullet-hell Cave game with a disco theme).

Both games were announced for digital release on PS4 and they're also doing a limited-edition retail release for Battle Garegga that'll include a CD, booklet and other bits and pieces.

These are the best possible people for the job and they've said they'll be doing console games as well as arcade titles, so if you're into these games or just like seeing companies dredge up weird old poo poo, you have a lot to look forward to.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 8, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

M2 are the poo poo, and I'm not really any good at shmupping at all, but I'd be willing to give something they dug up at least something of a shot because it's probably real good.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

as cool as it is (esp. a physical re-release of garegga) playing vertical arcade shooters on a 16:9 TV makes me want to kill myself, if you get these do yourself a favor and hook it up to a computer monitor you can tate (I assume there's no easy way to hook up a PS4 to a 4:3 CRT or anything like that, they're HDMI with 16:9 resolutions only right?)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

d0s posted:

There are a ton of SNES games that use mode 7 brilliantly, that stuff used to wow me back in the day. I'm more talking about games that push the capabilities of the platform rather than relying on a gimmick like FMV. There are many later 8 and 16-bit games that are technically working against the weakness of the platform but managed to be amazing because the developers had pretty much mastered the hardware

edit: even in the case of the saturn sure you had a lot of terrible 3D games, but there are a few standouts like sega rally or bulk slash that are that much more amazing considering what they did with what was available

It's like some kind of success through adversity thing in programming sometimes, I guess? You see your limits, you poke at them, you do what you can to extend them.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

d0s posted:

I bring this up every time people mention pushing the envelope but holy poo poo have you people seen Jungle Book for GBC:

Disney's GBC stuff was really impressive. Alice in Wonderland is also very impressive looking, and so is Toy Story Racer, even though Toy Story Racer was made by Tiertex, one of the legitimate claimants to the "worst videogame programmer/publisher ever" throne.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

d0s posted:

as cool as it is (esp. a physical re-release of garegga) playing vertical arcade shooters on a 16:9 TV makes me want to kill myself, if you get these do yourself a favor and hook it up to a computer monitor you can tate (I assume there's no easy way to hook up a PS4 to a 4:3 CRT or anything like that, they're HDMI with 16:9 resolutions only right?)
At least Gargegga's making the most of the unused screen real-estate by detailing the crazy ranking system.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

d0s posted:

(I assume there's no easy way to hook up a PS4 to a 4:3 CRT or anything like that, they're HDMI with 16:9 resolutions only right?)

I don't know about the PS4 in particular, but HDMI is pin-compatible with DVI (so a cheap passive adapter is possible and adds no lag) and good large-ish 4:3 LCDs still exist and are pretty cheap to get as everyone wants widescreen things.
I have a 21" 4:3 VA panel LCD monitor I'm using for emulators and rotated shmups and thatb works well for me.
(No free/g-sync though, obv)

The aspect ratio is more of a problem on the PS4 if it won't let you switch that, and since there were even games on the PS2 which would only output 16:9 I don't expect it would...

There are also dead cheap and good (not sure on lag, as haven't tested that yet) active HDMI to VGA adapters so you could use a 4:3 CRT PC monitor and rotate that?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 38 hours!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You technically could hook it up but I would imagine there would be a lot of problems. For example, when the 360 came out, I was still using an SD CRT TV (a lot of people were even though it might not seem like it). The text in Dead Rising was completely unreadable on an SDTV. I remember people complaining online, asking for a patch and Capcom basically told everybody "the 360 is meant for high definition televisions so we won't be fixing it" ignoring the fact that it didn't even have HDMI and the base unit shipped with composite cables.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You technically could hook it up but I would imagine there would be a lot of problems. For example, when the 360 came out, I was still using an SD CRT TV (a lot of people were even though it might not seem like it). The text in Dead Rising was completely unreadable on an SDTV. I remember people complaining online, asking for a patch and Capcom basically told everybody "the 360 is meant for high definition televisions so we won't be fixing it" ignoring the fact that it didn't even have HDMI and the base unit shipped with composite cables.

That's the main reason I didn't buy it back then. I couldn't read anything in the demo.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

And if you had an HDCRT in those days, you get the worst of both worlds because even more stuff would assume you have an HDTV and make the text smaller than it would be in standard def mode.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Kins posted:

At least Gargegga's making the most of the unused screen real-estate by detailing the crazy ranking system.

holy poo poo that actually owns, I was gonna say there's a 95% chance you can use tate mode on those but you honestly shouldn't need to

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I bring this up every time people mention pushing the envelope but holy poo poo have you people seen Jungle Book for GBC:

Goddamn.

Mowgli takes buttcoin :eyepop:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Disney's GBC stuff was really impressive. Alice in Wonderland is also very impressive looking, and so is Toy Story Racer, even though Toy Story Racer was made by Tiertex, one of the legitimate claimants to the "worst videogame programmer/publisher ever" throne.
I feel like GBC is an under-examined aesthetic, all told. It's sort of like the NES, except where that had four BG palettes of four colors each (three unique, one shared between all four) and four sprite palettes of three colors each (technically four, but the fourth is always transparent), the GBC has eight of each. The NES can only pick from a set of ~50 predefined colors (which don't even have set RGB values), GBC you can set them to any 15-bit RGB color you want. NES BG palettes are done on a 16x16 grid, despite graphics being on an 8x8 grid; GBC does away with that and lets you set the palettes on an 8x8 grid as well. Pretty sure GBC also has a mode that lets you say "to hell with this" and display images that show off more colors than those 16 palettes should reasonably accomodate, but it only works for still images; I don't know the specifics behind it; I think it involves swapping the palettes every scanline or something? (I suppose that's less a "mode" and more programming wizardry as a result, but still, it looks pretty.)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 8, 2016

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Been a long while since I've posted any sort of haul and I don't think I've ever even done one in the new thread so it's time to change that :colbert:

Grabbed a few things from YAJ via Buyee that I wanted namely some e-amusement passes and a new NGPC

And I found out that the Wonderswan cart was finally finished so might as well make things special

It works really well, there's like 10 roms that don't function properly on it and supports 15 different games at a time. Downer though is that it doesn't fit in a Wonderswan case and it also only supports saving for 1 game at a time. It works so whatever better than the nothing we had before!

And this NGPC is freaking immaculate. I'm impressed with how good it looks and now I want a newer-ish Swan Crystal as mine has some scratches on the screen :(

Unfortunately the kind of deal I got on the NGPC ($62 + $25 shipping) is non-existent on Swan Crystals but oh well can't win them all.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Send me those eamuse passes and that keyboard please

My eamuse pass is one of those boring gray ones, I want a cute pop'n one drat it

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Grats on getting the second best color of NGPC.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If you're going to get a Wonderswan flash cart you need to load up Dicing Knight and revel in the $1000 game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

al-azad posted:

If you're going to get a Wonderswan flash cart you need to load up Dicing Knight and revel in the $1000 game.

It was obviously the first game I played followed by Judgement Silversword but had been playing some Gunpey because it's too fun and didn't want to lose my save.

• Locked thread