Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's a fun Slavic start? Last time I tried them, a year or so ago (or maybe more; it was pre-Charlemagne I think, only 867 starts available), the start I did was slow and not fun and I didn't accomplish anything, but I hear there's now a few that are reasonably strong to begin with and actually capable of accomplishing things.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Can you guys PLEASE fix the "cultural buildings are tied to ruler culture instead of province culture" thing? I lost 200 years worth of elephant pens because of a chance inheritance due to disease. It's really really dumb that the buildings disappear as as soon as the owner has a different culture. It would also encourage you to not culturally convert provinces if they had buildings you wanted.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Speaking of immortality stuff, would be funny if "Been ruling for a while" modifier eventually tops out and starts turning negative, as people start getting a mite irate that someone managed to beat that whole 'mortality' shindig

It does, although:

Strudel Man posted:

It does, though I'm not sure exactly how it works. "Ruled too long," or something like that. There's new defines for it that I can't completely parse:

code:
	MAX_LONG_REIGN_BONUS = 100,                 -- Max bonus in opinion you can get from long reign 
	LONG_REIGN_PENALTY = -2,       				-- Penalty ticking down every year from long reign bonus
	LONG_REIGN_PENALTY_START = 3, 				-- What year penalty tick should start

it currently only works when you have a over 100 years long reign penalty, which you won't get because your vassals won't live long enough. I thought LR was based on how long you'd been ruling, but that was actually not the case :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Parallax Scroll posted:

Other than "fight them," any general tips for when I get Jihaded? Strategies I should follow? Never been in this situation before. I'm the king of Castille and was well on the way to completing the Reconquista. I was in the middle of an aggressive landgrab since the Almohad sultanate broke up into smaller states and I was gobbling them up while I could, so my army isn't exactly well rested.

My current borders:

I have the HRE and England as allies so I'll obviously call them in.

The last time I got jihaded I was playing Norse, and thus had access to a bunch of boats. Since I had holdings in Africa that the enemy wanted, I simply let him spread out his forces gaining attrition while I picked off his reinforcements until their armies were more manageable by landing my forces quickly onto much smaller stacks (what with my morale penalty for landing armies and their slight tech advantage). Before the enemy can converge on you you'll have won the fight and can flee over to your boats again. This might be tougher in Spain since it doesn't take a ton of time moving between some areas there, but the principle is the same: Never meet their big doomstack in combat, boat your forces around to either catch his smaller forces unaware or take over some of his counties to force him to retreat to grab them again until he's lost enough troops sieging you or from having too many troops in one spot.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 7, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

Finally, I am also several of the death screams. I think crushing, falling, snake pits, tiger, and bear. I'll look up the exact list tomorrow :unsmith:

So! I am:
Male Snake Pit Death version 1
Male Crushing Death version 2
Male Tiger Death version 1
Male Falling Death version 2
Male Bear Death version 1

Enjoy!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

One thing that might be interesting to add is an "opinion of predecessor modifier" in the other direction. So you don't get happy as a clam vassals after their dads die in your oubliette.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Please don't kill bears they are innocent :(

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

So! I am:

Enjoy!

I think I may have just killed you again, sorry.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Darkrenown posted:

So! I am:

Enjoy!

Thanks for the list of mobile ring tones, it will come in handy.

(Seriously, if you guys aren't already using these sound effects as personalised ring tones I will be very disappointed. *sound of man being torn asunder by horses* "Hold on, I have Kjetil on the other line.")

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 7, 2016

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Wilhelm scream is my Facebook messenger notification sound and the Howie scream for text messages. I should probably get the breaking wheel death sounds for general notifications.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Jumping back into the game, spent the money during the sale. Outside of noobie island, what are some low difficulty starts and objective combinations that will allow me a few play throughs?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

One thing that might be interesting to add is an "opinion of predecessor modifier" in the other direction. So you don't get happy as a clam vassals after their dads die in your oubliette.

Although after thinking about it that doesn't really work since the game has no reason to track succession the same for AI as for player. And applying it to all close relatives would just be weird.

So instead I propose a slowly upticking "keeps close relative in dungeon" modifier.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal
The greatest part of 2.6.1. is the full zoomed out map kills ambient sounds. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the sounds when I'm zoomed in managing counties, but to have a map setting that kills map noises is pretty sweet.

Just another niceity in this patch that's greatly appreciated. Seriously playing since 2014, and this is the most enjoyable patch put out. All the quality of life fixes dragged me right back into the game again.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Thanks for the tips on defending against the jihad, guys. If it makes any difference I forgot to mention that I'm playing the pre-conclave version (2.4.5) and did the 1220 start so I'm still on my starting character. Also I have 2 vassalized holy orders although I already have pretty huge "levies raised too long" penalties from them (close to -50) from the reconquista wars I was already in. I currently had one war going against the north african sultanate and was at about +50 warscore - I could white peace out of that but I don't see any point, since they're just gonna fight me in the jihad anyway.

Anyway I'll try the suggestions mentioned here and see how it goes.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 7, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

WilliamAnderson posted:

Can you guys PLEASE fix the "cultural buildings are tied to ruler culture instead of province culture" thing? I lost 200 years worth of elephant pens because of a chance inheritance due to disease. It's really really dumb that the buildings disappear as as soon as the owner has a different culture. It would also encourage you to not culturally convert provinces if they had buildings you wanted.

This is a good fix idea. I spent a lot of time coming up with schemes to disinherit my son as he culture-swapped and I didn't want to lose all the level 3 Catraphect training grounds I had built in my 9 holdings. Or at bare minimum if you culture swap the level of the culture-specific building should stay the same.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I pitched that when I joined the CK2 team, but Doomdark was not keen. I'll try again during the next DLC cycle.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

I pitched that when I joined the CK2 team, but Doomdark was not keen. I'll try again during the next DLC cycle.

Ah. Thanks for fighting for it. Fingers crossed it can show up in the next DLC.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tried my hand as Saxony and you really have to rely on Charlemagne not deciding to invade.

In my first attempt Charles died in battle against some rando pretty early and Karloman of disease not long after. While this was happening I was subjugating the Danes and building up in preparation for my son subjugating Ragnar who had already formed Sweden. Then of course the broken and dysfunctional Karling realm was united under one flag again and the 8 year old kid in charge decided to invade and take over which he very easily did but I was already planning a planned invasion of him, when his realm had been much smaller and racked by rebellions, but somehow the preparations did not stop once I became his vassal and I kept getting new men but couldn't actually declare the war. Then Widukind happened and absolutely steamrolled Saxony and left with me without any lands and thus I lost.

The second attempt was about the same only less dramatic since shortly after the Franks curb stomped me I died heirless from being really old and crippled. My heir had gotten himself killed a long time ago and I had tried to not have any more kids since I wanted to avoid gavelkind splitting everything up too soon.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

axeil posted:

Ah. Thanks for fighting for it. Fingers crossed it can show up in the next DLC.

There's a mod on the workshop that lets you keep your cultural buildings even after a culture switch.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Darkrenown posted:

Would be interesting to hear the reasoning behind that, since having players lose buildings that take a ton of time and gold (plus losing the actual bonus) because of a culture flip that usually happens by random chance, rather than as a conscious decision seems weirdly punishing.

Even if it is a conscious decision it's such a big loss that it'd be better to just have the possibility to "upgrade" to the correct cultural building with a smaller cash/time investment rather than having to rebuild from scratch

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Parallax Scroll posted:

Other than "fight them," any general tips for when I get Jihaded? Strategies I should follow? Never been in this situation before. I'm the king of Castille and was well on the way to completing the Reconquista. I was in the middle of an aggressive landgrab since the Almohad sultanate broke up into smaller states and I was gobbling them up while I could, so my army isn't exactly well rested.

I have the HRE and England as allies so I'll obviously call them in.

If you can't bring the fight to the Jihad for whatever reason:

Kill any enemy troops in your area and drop the minimum required to siege those two areas in your screen shots. Put half of your remaining forces on the Provence next to Gibraltar that has the lowest travel distance to Gibraltar and the other half on Gibraltar itself.

Whenever possible, use the non- Gibraltar force and your boats to gank any little armies that you spot on the coast of North Africa and any time a major force crosses the straight, immediately reinforce with your other stack.

The penalty for attacking across that straight is pretty drat massive so you should be able to punch well above your weight there.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

nutranurse posted:

There's a mod on the workshop that lets you keep your cultural buildings even after a culture switch.

Ironman is the only way I play these days. Gotta get those achievements. Thanks though!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
One thing I'd really really really like is to be able to transfer vassalage of dukes to vassal kings. At the moment you can only do it if they're the de jure liege of the duke, but sometimes you want fewer kings, not aligned with the de jure mapmode. And tidying up those internal borders while remaining under the vassal limit and without incurring opinion penalties for desired territory becomes irritating if not impossible. Like, starting at 769 I was an emperor based out of Barcelona, which is in Aquitaine, not Aragon. Transferring all those other Aquitanian duchies to the king of France seemed like a good way to do it, so that I only have one vassal instead of 15~, and without giving him the kingdom of Aquitaine so he wants my capital duchy stuff, but it's just... not possible once those duchies are handed out :sigh: I know this was done on purpose but long-term de jure realignments akin to how the history files play out can easily become impossible, and as things have been shuffled around so much for the early starts it makes things pretty annoying. Give me my pretty internal borders, dammit :shobon:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

axeil posted:

Ironman is the only way I play these days. Gotta get those achievements. Thanks though!

You can still play ironman with mods, but yeah no achievements. I really have to admit, I don't get the appeal of saying no to a potentially better game to get your e-penis longer.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Because achievements usually offer interesting campaign parameters and then you get a nice little confirmation icon for completing them. Sorry about your e-penis envy

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

Because achievements usually offer interesting campaign parameters and then you get a nice little confirmation icon for completing them. Sorry about your e-penis envy

Dunno how it's envy when I don't engage with achievements at all. :v:

But you can do that whole unique interesting campaign parameters, and more, with mods! Now excuse me, I'll get back to my game as the immortal voodoo cannibal queen of new orleans and her harem of zombified captives.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Jumping back into the game, spent the money during the sale. Outside of noobie island, what are some low difficulty starts and objective combinations that will allow me a few play throughs?

Matilda of Tuscany 1066 is usually good to get in the groove of being a vassal.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

nutranurse posted:

Dunno how it's envy when I don't engage with achievements at all. :v:

But you can do that whole unique interesting campaign parameters, and more, with mods! Now excuse me, I'll get back to my game as the immortal voodoo cannibal queen of new orleans and her harem of zombified captives.

After The End... Isn't good. But speaking seriously, people care about achievements because a little icon popping up along with a screenshot getting taken when you fulfill them makes achievements feel... Achieving! And they're really the only defined objectives in this game.

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 7, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Buschmaki posted:

After The End... Isn't good.
Burn the heretic!

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

TheCIASentMe posted:

If you can't bring the fight to the Jihad for whatever reason:

Kill any enemy troops in your area and drop the minimum required to siege those two areas in your screen shots. Put half of your remaining forces on the Provence next to Gibraltar that has the lowest travel distance to Gibraltar and the other half on Gibraltar itself.

Whenever possible, use the non- Gibraltar force and your boats to gank any little armies that you spot on the coast of North Africa and any time a major force crosses the straight, immediately reinforce with your other stack.

The penalty for attacking across that straight is pretty drat massive so you should be able to punch well above your weight there.

This sounds like a nice strategy. Could you (or anyone else knowledgeable) explain the bolded part? Dropping minimum siege requirements sounds like a game mechanic I'm not familiar with. I'm on version 2.4.5 if that makes a difference.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Darkrenown posted:

It does, although:

it currently only works when you have a over 100 years long reign penalty, which you won't get because your vassals won't live long enough. I thought LR was based on how long you'd been ruling, but that was actually not the case :(
It's not just that specific vassal-ruler combination, either. I've actually seen it kick in, though only very slightly - looked into it because I had a vassal with, interestingly, 98 long reign, and then -2 ruled too long, and I'm fairly confident I hadn't been his liege for 102 years. It must be more complex, though I don't know quite how it operates. (Suppose in retrospect I should have checked when he assumed power.)

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 7, 2016

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Parallax Scroll posted:

This sounds like a nice strategy. Could you (or anyone else knowledgeable) explain the bolded part? Dropping minimum siege requirements sounds like a game mechanic I'm not familiar with. I'm on version 2.4.5 if that makes a difference.

It just means to put the bare minimum of troops you need to siege a province on it. so like putting 700 men on a province that has 655 defenders.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Parallax Scroll posted:

When you siege a province, you need at least as many soldiers as are in the defending garrison to make progress. (as in, the number listed under defenders in the siege window). So you can split your forces to cover and beseige multiple provinces IF you've cleared the area of enemy armies so they can't jump in and quickly steamroll your detached forces before you can reinforce.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Is there ever a reason to get level 2 of a prestige tribal building if you don't intend to stay tribal for long?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

After The End... Isn't good.

Hot takes fresh off the rack!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

genericnick posted:

Is there ever a reason to get level 2 of a prestige tribal building if you don't intend to stay tribal for long?

Many of the tribal buildings will upgrade to feudal holdings depending on what level the tribal building is. Training Grounds 2, for example, upgrades to Keep 1. Training Grounds 4 upgrades to Keep 2.

Here's a list: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Tribes#Buildings

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

genericnick posted:

Usually I get my non-capital holdings up to level 2 so I'm not totally hosed on income and troops when I switch over to feudal. At the very least do it for your capital province.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

ShootaBoy posted:

It just means to put the bare minimum of troops you need to siege a province on it. so like putting 700 men on a province that has 655 defenders.

Dallan Invictus posted:

When you siege a province, you need at least as many soldiers as are in the defending garrison to make progress. (as in, the number listed under defenders in the siege window). So you can split your forces to cover and beseige multiple provinces IF you've cleared the area of enemy armies so they can't jump in and quickly steamroll your detached forces before you can reinforce.

Thanks for the explanation. And I'm assuming "those two areas" in TheCIASentMe's post refers to the two pockets of muslim-controlled territory left in spain. So I siege their poo poo and build warscore while they try and send guys up there to do something about it. Normally I just put a huge stack of dudes on a province I'm sieging and do provinces one at a time since I think it goes faster the more attackers you've got.

But I'll try taking the fight to the caliph first if I'm able.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just getting into this game and I have a couple of newbie questions. I watched the Arumba videos and I'm trying the same thing the dude did - starting in the 800s as an Irish duke and trying to become king of the bogs.

First, revoking the title of my bishop and running it myself didn't actually work the way it did in the video. When I did it I received no taxes (as opposed to the 25% in the video) and no levies. The garrison sat at zero, but would jump up to like sixteen or so each month for about a half second before going back to none. What is causing this?

Second, fabricating a claim and invading flat-out destroyed me every time due to the target duke's alliances. I invade, and multiple 2500+ armies would swoop in and murder the hell out of everything. I tried to combat this with alliances of my own (with West Francia) but when the time came I couldn't call to arms. It said that the offending reason was that it wasn't a war the King was able to fight for some reason. How can I actually take over these places without the entire world murdering me, and why do alliances seem to work for the AI dukes but not me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

nutranurse posted:

You can still play ironman with mods, but yeah no achievements. I really have to admit, I don't get the appeal of saying no to a potentially better game to get your e-penis longer.

Really? drat it. I have a few ui tweak mods for fonts and font sizes since I play on my TV.

Guess there is no point bothering with Ironman I guess.

• Locked thread