Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiskatonicAthletic
Apr 28, 2013

Lurking in the wilds of the Shitpost Forest

MarcusSA posted:

drat that sucks! I guess the sale is over. Bestbuy and Amazon both had them for $74.99 so honestly if you wait you should be able to snag them for that price.

I agree about that necklace poo poo though Its loving horrible. I don't even know how people can wear that poo poo.

Yeah, I kinda figured that a sale had expired or something. Right now I have a cheapo pair from Amazon and they're fine, it's just that now I've proven to myself that the technology works for me, I'm ready to upgrade. Thanks for the recommendation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

VOR LOC posted:

nah, not when you're listening to brooke gladstone it isn't.

I don't know what a brooke gladstone is, but you literally promoted "noise isolation" as one of the reasons you like them

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I kept some lovely $15 Skullcandy IEMs at my desk at work to listen to music and podcasts with and they went missing so I'm looking for a slight upgrade.

Budget - $50-ish
Source - Phone or work laptop
Isolation Requirements - Work environment so isolation please
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - The Skullcandy IEMs I mentioned above were OK but I could hear noise from the cord in my ears if I tapped it or had to move it around. Also they were uncomfortable after wearing for an extended period of time. I have had various models of Plantronics headsets in the past for my home computer because they are generally comfortable and have a built in microphone, but I don't need a microphone here.
Preferred Music - Podcasts, a wide range of rock and metal sub-genres, and a range of electronic sub-genres every now and again.

Thanks!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
$50 is a bit of a tough price point for great circumaural closed cans.

The Creative Aurvana Live (or CAL!) is probably your best bet for a new headphone. My two issues with them are build quality in general and a dual-entry, non removable, somewhat flimsy cable. If you're using them at your desk, it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I have a pair of Logitech UE6000's, which are discontinued, but if you're lucky you can find them used or refurbed around $50. They have remarkable soundstage for a closed can, reasonably good build, and a standard 3.5mm removable cable. They also have active noise canceling, which is decent but not quite on the level with the ubiquitous Bose cans. The downside is that there's a significant bass boost when it's turned on. Thankfully, they work fine without the ANC, and sound very very good. Non-removable pads, sadly, so keep that in mind when buying a used pair.

If you can stretch your budget to around $100, I still recommend the Audio Technica M40x for a buy-it-for-life, do everything, closed set of headphones.

If you want another pair of IEMS, honestly I still recommend the KZ ATE. They may cost a dollar less than those Skullcandy things, but I'll guarantee they're at least 14 times more fun to listen to.

edit: yknow what, I totally forgot about the Monoprice 8323. Get those, and the KZ ATE. You'll be extremely happy with both, and you'll have 16 dollars left, which you can save. Which you should do, because great cheap headphones are gateway drugs, and a month from now you'll be blowing hobos in alleyways for spare change to save up for a pair of Audeze.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 29, 2016

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

For affordable IEMs, The Verge just wrote a glowing review of these $38 IEMs. Takeaways are "compete with IEMs ten times their price" and "$38 IEMs will probably have their cable break or go faulty within a year no matter how much you baby them." my emphasis not theirs on that second part! Either way, I couldn't be mad at a pair of $38 IEMs going bad after a year if they sound anywhere near as good as the review claims. It's just the nature of the beast with flimsy cables, especially if you use them on the go.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

owl_pellet posted:

I kept some lovely $15 Skullcandy IEMs at my desk at work to listen to music and podcasts with and they went missing so I'm looking for a slight upgrade.

Budget - $50-ish
Source - Phone or work laptop
Isolation Requirements - Work environment so isolation please
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - The Skullcandy IEMs I mentioned above were OK but I could hear noise from the cord in my ears if I tapped it or had to move it around. Also they were uncomfortable after wearing for an extended period of time. I have had various models of Plantronics headsets in the past for my home computer because they are generally comfortable and have a built in microphone, but I don't need a microphone here.
Preferred Music - Podcasts, a wide range of rock and metal sub-genres, and a range of electronic sub-genres every now and again.

Thanks!

Consider these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009LOJCY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They're competitive with the CALs that Fishopolis suggested but cheap because they've been long discontinued. I own a pair and like them a lot.

enojy posted:

For affordable IEMs, The Verge just wrote a glowing review of these $38 IEMs. Takeaways are "compete with IEMs ten times their price" and "$38 IEMs will probably have their cable break or go faulty within a year no matter how much you baby them." my emphasis not theirs on that second part! Either way, I couldn't be mad at a pair of $38 IEMs going bad after a year if they sound anywhere near as good as the review claims. It's just the nature of the beast with flimsy cables, especially if you use them on the go.

Just about everything from Zero Audio gets really good reviews, with the exact same caveat about the cables being kind of flimsy.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
that Verge article is hilarious. The Zero Audio stuff is great for the price, but it was flavor of the month around the audio boards over two years ago. Just wait till the Verge finds out about the VE Monk!! They're gonna lose their loving minds!!!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have a pair of Logitech UE6000's, which are discontinued, but if you're lucky you can find them used or refurbed around $50. They have remarkable soundstage for a closed can, reasonably good build, and a standard 3.5mm removable cable. They also have active noise canceling, which is decent but not quite on the level with the ubiquitous Bose cans. The downside is that there's a significant bass boost when it's turned on. Thankfully, they work fine without the ANC, and sound very very good. Non-removable pads, sadly, so keep that in mind when buying a used pair.

I also have a pair of the UE6000s and I agree with everything above. It's a shame they don't make them anymore because they are great.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Monoprice 8323

I'll look into these, thanks. Does anyone have an opinion on these? I found them through the buying guide linked in the OP. If they're not great then I'll most likely go with the Monoprice or Panasonic options.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Are there any wireless earbuds with excellent isolation?

Jaybirds are out, I got a pair that failed a week later and they wouldn't replace them because they were bought on sale from Amazon. gently caress those guys. Also, I wasn't that impressed with the headphones anyway.

I can suck it up and buy some Bose QC35s but I was hoping for earbuds first.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

PRADA SLUT posted:

earbuds with excellent isolation?

Sound-dampening earbud covers exist.

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Premium-Replacement-Earphone-Earbud/dp/B001DXGBII

You can choose a headset you like and upgrade the covers later, if that's an appealing option.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Looking for IEMs or headphones with a very "wet" sound, that is, with reverb. Non-essential preferences include a V-shaped or balanced sound signature, and drivable without an amp. Does this exist?

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
I have a Vizio flat screen TV with neither a headphone jack nor RCA audio out. What's the best option for headphones? I would like to spend $50 or less. I don't really know anything about Bluetooth headphones and it seems like that's all that will work unless I get some fancy converter. Sound quality doesn't have to be the best, just normal for whatever headphones are average these days. I just need them for TV, I already have a Bose set for music. I'd prefer headphones since ear buds rarely fit me.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Croisquessein posted:

I have a Vizio flat screen TV with neither a headphone jack nor RCA audio out. What's the best option for headphones? I would like to spend $50 or less. I don't really know anything about Bluetooth headphones and it seems like that's all that will work unless I get some fancy converter. Sound quality doesn't have to be the best, just normal for whatever headphones are average these days. I just need them for TV, I already have a Bose set for music. I'd prefer headphones since ear buds rarely fit me.

I don't think I've ever seen a TV with Bluetooth audio. I mean not saying they don't exist but I wouldn't assume your TV has it.

I mean if you have a roku you can plug your headphones into the remote but it seems to chew through the remote batteries.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

MarcusSA posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a TV with Bluetooth audio. I mean not saying they don't exist but I wouldn't assume your TV has it.

I mean if you have a roku you can plug your headphones into the remote but it seems to chew through the remote batteries.

drat. So is there any way to listen to a modern tv on headphones? Do people just not do that anymore?

E: unless there's a different wireless option, I don't know of these things.

Croisquessein fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 5, 2016

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Croisquessein posted:

drat. So is there any way to listen to a modern tv on headphones? Do people just not do that anymore?

E: unless there's a different wireless option, I don't know of these things.

Most people use a receiver there are wireless headphone options you can get but most of them aren't cheap or really worth the price IMO.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
I'm looking for a decent pair of wireless over-ear headphones. They're for using on my commute and while at work, so I'm looking for something comfortable and with a good battery life, but I don't need much in the way of isolation. My budget is around $150-200 NZD, but I am limited by what's available in New Zealand as overseas shipping can be a nightmare. I was eyeing up the Jabra Move if anybody has anything to say on them, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Kalenden
Oct 30, 2012

Captain_Person posted:

I'm looking for a decent pair of wireless over-ear headphones. They're for using on my commute and while at work, so I'm looking for something comfortable and with a good battery life, but I don't need much in the way of isolation. My budget is around $150-200 NZD, but I am limited by what's available in New Zealand as overseas shipping can be a nightmare. I was eyeing up the Jabra Move if anybody has anything to say on them, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Basically, I'm looking for much the same.
Something that is robust enough to travel, has good battery life and high quality. I don't need Noise Cancellation. Price is not a real issue.

I'm coming from wired Audio Technica ATH-M50X and would like something of similar (better?) performance.

The Bose QuietComfort 35 were recommended but I've heard that they are worse sounding than the ATH and they have noise cancellation, which I don't really need.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
I like the ATHSR5BTs a lot, not sure how they compare to other BT headphones but they sound good to me.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm looking for a new headset to use in work, and I'd like something with reasonable sound quality, but on a budget since it'll mostly get used for Skype calls.

Budget: £50 probably, but ideally 30
Use: work laptop in noisy office/contact centre environment.
Type: on/over ear. No earbuds/IEMs
Strict requirement: boom mic, no in-lines. Also: no additional software, must be plug and play.
The laptop has Bluetooth, so wireless would be amazing.
If there's a better thread for this, feel free to point it to me, as the sound quality requirement is not high here, I just need something fairly reliable.

Anemone
Dec 28, 2008

piak piak
I'm trying to find some headphones with good quality, detachable cord (for the vive), and that make me look like I live in the future (I'll be streaming wearing these):

Budget: let's say $300 max
Use: Using a vive on camera.
Type: probably over ear
Strict requirement: Must look awesome, and have a detachable cord.

Thanks!

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

Anemone posted:

I'm trying to find some headphones with good quality, detachable cord (for the vive), and that make me look like I live in the future (I'll be streaming wearing these):

Thanks!

Vmoda m100

Do you want open or closed? Do you have an amp?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

straya mate posted:

Looking for IEMs or headphones with a very "wet" sound, that is, with reverb. Non-essential preferences include a V-shaped or balanced sound signature, and drivable without an amp. Does this exist?

No. Also, what?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kalenden posted:

Basically, I'm looking for much the same.
Something that is robust enough to travel, has good battery life and high quality. I don't need Noise Cancellation. Price is not a real issue.

I'm coming from wired Audio Technica ATH-M50X and would like something of similar (better?) performance.

The Bose QuietComfort 35 were recommended but I've heard that they are worse sounding than the ATH and they have noise cancellation, which I don't really need.

My vote would be either Sennheiser Momentum or Logitech UE9000 (if you can find one). I would rather have either of those than the M50x, wireless or not. The Bose are really only if you need active noise cancellation, they don't sound great for the price.

edit: I really, really like the Jabra Move if you're looking for relatively cheap on-ears, but if you can afford it go with the above.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Anemone posted:

Thanks!

well the obvious answer is the jecklin float

finding them might be a challenge though.

for real though just get the philips fidelio x2. nobody has ever regretted getting a pair and they look pretty boss.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
What about the new Sennheisers with ANC? I heard they're supposed to be great but a bit expensive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I honestly didn't know people ever listened to their TV on headphones except for people playing video games online.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Endless Mike posted:

I honestly didn't know people ever listened to their TV on headphones except for people playing video games online.

I didn't until I had a child who sleeps within hearing range of the living room.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

My vote would be either Sennheiser Momentum or Logitech UE9000 (if you can find one). I would rather have either of those than the M50x, wireless or not. The Bose are really only if you need active noise cancellation, they don't sound great for the price.

edit: I really, really like the Jabra Move if you're looking for relatively cheap on-ears, but if you can afford it go with the above.

Thanks! Unfortunately the Sennheisser is far too expensive, and the Logitech isn't even available in the country so looks like I'm grabbing the Jabra Move!

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Anemone posted:

Thanks!

Google modded SHP9500's. I bet the stream is gonna love it.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Lowness 72 posted:

What about the new Sennheisers with ANC? I heard they're supposed to be great but a bit expensive.

The ones they just announced at IFA? They're not out yet, so who knows.

If you mean the PXC 550, yeah I hear they're fantastic but at $400, I'm not in the market. If I were spending $400 on headphones right now it would be Oppo PM-3's.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

straya mate posted:

No, because IEMs are typically heavily damped.

grack fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 6, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

grack posted:

No, because IEMs are typically heavily damped.

what does this mean

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I'm about to get my first (and hopefully only) USB DAC for use with my desktop. Is something like the FiiO E10K a good bet? I was expecting it to have like a 1/4" plug because any time I get a decent pair of headphones they seem to have that size of plug, but is there any difference at all or is it mostly for legacy/hifi support?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Stan Taylor posted:

I'm about to get my first (and hopefully only) USB DAC for use with my desktop. Is something like the FiiO E10K a good bet? I was expecting it to have like a 1/4" plug because any time I get a decent pair of headphones they seem to have that size of plug, but is there any difference at all or is it mostly for legacy/hifi support?

I've come to terms with the FiiO E10K and would recommend it for someone looking to power most headphones for under $100. I was pleased as punch with it until I tried my Fostex T50RP mk3's with it, and had to nearly top it out just to get them to an optimal (LOUD) volume. These headphones are notoriously hard to power, though. If I really wanted to fully wring them out, I'd be looking at hundreds of dollars worth of outlet-powered amplification. Gotta draw the line somewhere; I'll settle for 95% satisfaction.

The FiiO sounds excellent, clean, and bright with everything else I've plugged into it. I use it primarily with music/rhythm games where millisecond reaction timing is key, and it's great on that front -- no lag whatsoever. That was a worry of mine due to the USB nature. I mean, my knowledge of computer hardware forces me to acknowledge that it isn't truly lagless, but we're talking a handful of picoseconds here. Essentially lagless; equivalent to onboard sound.

FiiO specs it for up to 150-ohm headphones, and delivers 200mW @ 32 ohms, which is all the details they give you. That's plenty for most non-audiophile applications. Check your headphones' sensitivity and impedance -- if they're above 95dB and below 150 ohms respectively, the FiiO will probably work out great (that's like 95% of headphones that don't require a hefty portion of a paycheck.) Otherwise, it's a craps shoot. If you post which headphones you'd be using with it, I could give you a confident yes or no.

The 3.5mm port is no problem, just pick up an adapter!

enojy fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 7, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Has anything tried the Bragi Dash? They're apparently making a much cheaper version without all the sensors at like half the price so I'm considering it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Has anything tried the Bragi Dash? They're apparently making a much cheaper version without all the sensors at like half the price so I'm considering it.

The what now? I've never heard of such a device.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

MarcusSA posted:

The what now? I've never heard of such a device.

https://www.amazon.com/Bragi-Truly-Wireless-Smart-Earphones/dp/B01BHAU6QO

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Seems like from the reviews they need at least one more rev. before they are decent. Nifty idea though I'm just not sure it's worth 299 or even 199.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

what does this mean

Damping is using electrical or mechanical means to prevent either the diaphragm from moving more than it's supposed to or stopping resonance in the enclosure. It helps a lot with sound quality as it gives a "cleaner" sound. IEMs tend to be more heavily damped than supra- or circum-aurals. For example, some of the most common mods for the Fostex TR50P are to increase damping by either stopping the driver assembly from moving (mass loading the driver plate) or getting rid of resonant surfaces inside the cup (by adding dynamat/foam/etc.)