Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Personally I've been paring down from 254hp to 104hp plus a little 1U stuff. There is some really cool and useful stuff in euro but with blocks and whatnot I personally have much less desire for envelopes and sequencers and poo poo in the rack. I just use blocks for that stuff since I am always using it in conjunction with my computer anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

when euro is outlawed, only outlaws will make robot burps

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
If I ever made enough from music to buy modular I would do it, but since I'll never make money from my music Bazille, the MS20, and XA are plenty.

I have been toying with getting the Aira Scooper since the glitchy effect it does in addition to it being a fully fledged CV modulation device is kinda cool.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

sliderule posted:

It's the perfect instrument to cover Ice Ice Baby.

The Volcas have been tempting me for some time. The sample and FM fill two gaps in my rig and the sequencing seems capable.

on those days when wigglin the modular just seems too straightforward and quotidien, i almost long for the days where id get so baked i could program the dx7 at about the same speed i could think about programming the dx7, and i realize with the significant increase of controls korg gave the volca fm, i could probably slow my brain enough down for it just sippin a beer

rickiep00h posted:

God I hope not, since I just got into euro with the Mother-32 and that seems like a really good jumping off point. The main issue I have is, indeed, the modules that cost as much as a fully-functional synth.

how can you call a synth fully functional if it doesnt even have any patch points on the front panel :colbert:

MockingQuantum posted:

I'm seriously considering dumping mine before I get any more invested, honestly. I haven't even filled my Pittsburg Cell 90 and I'm already starting to see the overall cost required for me to do a lot of what I want to do.
I admit, I started in on Euro right about when all these major manufacturers started spitting out steals like the Minilogue, and it was literally the worst time to start with modular. It's hard to argue with the price vs utility you see coming out of major manufacturers.
sup Cellmate 90 :hfive:

i finally took the plunge into euro 6 months ago, after years of thinking what a PITA a modular would be (all the while knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that Maths would keep beckoning until i fell), and that a Mono/Poly and PolySix should be enough synth. but patching really enables me to play the synthesizer the way i want to play it. i went with the cell 90 because i can hold it in my lap like my guitar, and its actually way easier to just grab it and go jam with some buddies than any other synth ive had, even the fr xs. im thinking about going up to 6u and getting a case with a lid so i dont have to repatch or carry the dingus around in the worst guitar case south of the mason dixon. playing a modular is so drastically different than even a super deep mono like the Mono/Poly, it's way more creative for generative music than an arpeggiator and different octave settings on the vcos. having enough mixers really unlocks so many possibilities for me, especially with feedback

dont give up modular yet, just try playing it differently than your other synths cuz its way different than them

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

No individual outs or track mute on the TR-09 feels like a huge mistake to me but if they're analog and the price is right it could be cool. Re-using the VA boutique back panel does not inspire confidence in that direction, though.

Is the System 8 a poly System 1?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Is there a good link for the news?

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Swagger Dagger posted:

Is there a good link for the news?

I'm just following the Gearslutz thread here....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/1107464-909day-new-roland-products-announced.html

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

That is a surprisingly elegant minification and now we can get the Jupiter 8, Juno 60 and JX3Ps in there which means according to the Second and Third Laws of Vintage Fetishism my original Juno 60 is going to rise in value even more.

edit: and Alpha Juno, JX8P, VP330, JP8000 (no idea if the default System-1 already resembles a cut down version of that)

Also that boutique VP03 is cute as a button and I want it.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 3, 2016

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

JamesKPolk posted:

No individual outs or track mute on the TR-09

yeah that's dumb as heck, although there is still a Rim out on the font panel (that could act like a cv trigger à la the old 909)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Come on new software modules for the Eurorack things. My Demora sucks rear end as a delay but it's such a great CV utility.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Tayter Swift posted:

Come on new software modules for the Eurorack things. My Demora sucks rear end as a delay but it's such a great CV utility.

Is there a Euro module already which consists of a few rotaries, lots of outputs and a little DSP that could to just generate a fuckton of CV/Gate signals which you can edit with software like the Roland Euro stuff?

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Laserjet 4P posted:

Is there a Euro module already which consists of a few rotaries, lots of outputs and a little DSP that could to just generate a fuckton of CV/Gate signals which you can edit with software like the Roland Euro stuff?

I wish Roland would do just that.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Yeah. It's a DIY, called Euclidian Circles. PIC uController. I plan to build a couple to hack. :)

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Laserjet 4P posted:

e: double

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I just swapped out my EchoPhon for a Chronoblob. Things sound nice, very quickly now.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

yeah that's dumb as heck, although there is still a Rim out on the font panel (that could act like a cv trigger à la the old 909)

Yeah, that plus the trig in on the 303 interest me a lot. Hoping it's a trig/step deal. Of course, built in delay and OD scare me away if there's not a way to route past them.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

Laserjet 4P posted:

If you're just looking for cv/gate type stuff, check out the Ornament & Crime (with Extended firmware). For effects, the Rebel Technology Owl.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

I just swapped out my EchoPhon for a Chronoblob. Things sound nice, very quickly now.

Yup. Chronoblob is super clean.. until you shove stuff up its feedback poopchute. Then it gets MEAN. :getin:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
gonna get an anti osc and another moddemix next week
gonna need a new case, guess im goin 6U after all

i was thinking about 2 x 84hp but then i remembered what forum im posting in

104 all the way :smugdog:

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

HandlingByJebus posted:

Yup. Chronoblob is super clean.. until you shove stuff up its feedback poopchute. Then it gets MEAN. :getin:

Good to have another use for all the stupid filters I keep buying.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

on those days when wigglin the modular just seems too straightforward and quotidien, i almost long for the days where id get so baked i could program the dx7 at about the same speed i could think about programming the dx7, and i realize with the significant increase of controls korg gave the volca fm, i could probably slow my brain enough down for it just sippin a beer

how can you call a synth fully functional if it doesnt even have any patch points on the front panel :colbert:

sup Cellmate 90 :hfive:

i finally took the plunge into euro 6 months ago, after years of thinking what a PITA a modular would be (all the while knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that Maths would keep beckoning until i fell), and that a Mono/Poly and PolySix should be enough synth. but patching really enables me to play the synthesizer the way i want to play it. i went with the cell 90 because i can hold it in my lap like my guitar, and its actually way easier to just grab it and go jam with some buddies than any other synth ive had, even the fr xs. im thinking about going up to 6u and getting a case with a lid so i dont have to repatch or carry the dingus around in the worst guitar case south of the mason dixon. playing a modular is so drastically different than even a super deep mono like the Mono/Poly, it's way more creative for generative music than an arpeggiator and different octave settings on the vcos. having enough mixers really unlocks so many possibilities for me, especially with feedback

dont give up modular yet, just try playing it differently than your other synths cuz its way different than them

I hear ya and I'm not ready to give up just yet. I guess the fore high I'm struggling with is the fact that in order to really know what sets a modular apart from other synthetic, you kinda need to experiment with a lot of modules. And that requires space and cash. Right now I'm not willing to expand beyond my Cell 90, but have no clue how to build something useful and unique in that small of a space without playing a costly trading game of module buying and selling. I think if I had more experience to draw on in selecting modules, I'd feel a lot less lost and disillusioned about what I have.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

MockingQuantum posted:

I hear ya and I'm not ready to give up just yet. I guess the fore high I'm struggling with is the fact that in order to really know what sets a modular apart from other synthetic, you kinda need to experiment with a lot of modules. And that requires space and cash. Right now I'm not willing to expand beyond my Cell 90, but have no clue how to build something useful and unique in that small of a space without playing a costly trading game of module buying and selling. I think if I had more experience to draw on in selecting modules, I'd feel a lot less lost and disillusioned about what I have.

Since you have a small case, you should bring it to a synth meet up sometime. Letting somebody else fiddle with your knobs can show you new ways to make sound with what you have. I've got a DPO and people make wild poo poo that thing that I can barely make sense of.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

here's my cell 90, i think its got a lot of functionality for such a smal case
theres really nothing missing from what i wanted it to do, which was to be a nice monosynth well suited to crazy feedback patching or melodic duty with an external controller like the beatstep or mono/poly.

ive found myself wanting a control module of some sort and a delay in the rack and a lid for the case itself, so i aint gotta grab anything else except an amplifier to play and not have to fuss with outboard fx or controllers

MockingQuantum posted:

if youd like to post your rack im sure youd get some tips on patching and module selection

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Bought a Volca Sample this past weekend.

It's pretty underwhelming. The fact that you can't step sequence any of the parameters is lame. It does what it says on the box but it feels like it could be so much more.

Sequencing pitch is a pain in the rear end. Either you set up a track for each note and try to get all the parameters the same, or you motion sequence pitch on one track repeatedly until you get the results you want, which usually means short decay to avoid hearing all the intermediate pitches.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the hell out of it, but there was never an 'aha' moment when I felt like the box did something really neat. I suppose it's because I've been burnt out on sample-based tricks when I wrote sampling/playback blocks for Patchblocks. By the end of the weekend, I really wanted a sample rate knob so I could crush a sample without altering pitch, and maybe a reverb send knob (both sequenceable).

It'll work out well as a drum machine for jamming, but I'll echo the sentiment that kick drums are anemic on it. I used my SQ-1 to drive my Odyssey for a kick and that worked out, but that's a waste of two boxes that usually perform bassline duties. I did get passable results by mixing the kick at 127 and all the other voices below 90.

Also, LOL at the Treble isolator. There's something wrong with the knob range because when you turn it down, it passes by -6dB and heads back towards 0, probably phase shifted. Somebody botched that pretty good.

All told, I'll keep it for what it does. Being able to have 10 samples at hand isn't something that's been in my kit since I sold my Boss SP-505, which is something I've been regretting lately. I'll get rid of this when I finally bite the bullet and beg convince my wife to let me buy a Tempest.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

https://www.retrokits.com/rk002/

That fixes the pitch issue as long as you play the notes on a keyboard.

And yeah, it's way better as a drum machine than a "sampler".

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

here's my cell 90, i think its got a lot of functionality for such a smal case
theres really nothing missing from what i wanted it to do, which was to be a nice monosynth well suited to crazy feedback patching or melodic duty with an external controller like the beatstep or mono/poly.

ive found myself wanting a control module of some sort and a delay in the rack and a lid for the case itself, so i aint gotta grab anything else except an amplifier to play and not have to fuss with outboard fx or controllers

if youd like to post your rack im sure youd get some tips on patching and module selection

Here's my current setup: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/192277

The blank panels in the bottom rack represent space that doesn't exist, I only have the Cell 90 + Mother 32.

I'm planning to grab a Bubblesound VCA4p to cover that ground, and a friend recommended a QuBit Nano Rand and an Abstract Data Octocontroller to give me some modulation options. Overall I'm looking for something similar to what you're talking about, though I really wanted to incorporate some highly-modulatable effects. The Echophone is fantastic in that regard, I'm really happy with it. I was also considering some sort of control or small-footprint sequencer, which is why I think my friend suggested the Octocontroller. I do have the sequencer on the Mother available, too. Otherwise, I don't have much idea as to what I can do with that extra space to make this something fun to play around with on its own.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

Here's my current setup: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/192277

The blank panels in the bottom rack represent space that doesn't exist, I only have the Cell 90 + Mother 32.

I'm planning to grab a Bubblesound VCA4p to cover that ground, and a friend recommended a QuBit Nano Rand and an Abstract Data Octocontroller to give me some modulation options. Overall I'm looking for something similar to what you're talking about, though I really wanted to incorporate some highly-modulatable effects. The Echophone is fantastic in that regard, I'm really happy with it. I was also considering some sort of control or small-footprint sequencer, which is why I think my friend suggested the Octocontroller. I do have the sequencer on the Mother available, too. Otherwise, I don't have much idea as to what I can do with that extra space to make this something fun to play around with on its own.

VCA4p is a good choice. It's a super versatile module, and sounds great, and it'll give you lots of useful VCA action in that rig.

On a related note: USPS made me really happy today.

Blue Lantern Sir Mix-A-Lot Stereo arrived. Then a Ryo Optodist full kit.

Then a Machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII. :stwoon: Thanks, Wafflehound, for accidentally buying two of them!

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Picked up a Chord module from Qu-bit to add to my rack. Really liking the sounds I'm getting out of it so far. Although, it's huge and making me want to invest in a bigger eurorack case :(

Here is some ambient noodling with the Chord and Dixie sequenced by an SQ-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyA2C34vpeI

By the way, has anyone gotten any of the 2hp modules? I'm thinking of grabbing a few to maximize the space on my 3U system and add some more functionality.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

gonna get an anti osc and another moddemix next week
gonna need a new case, guess im goin 6U after all

i was thinking about 2 x 84hp but then i remembered what forum im posting in

104 all the way :smugdog:

I'm trying to sell my gargoyles anti-osc if you're interested.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I think I plugged something I shouldn't have while trying to record my Volca Sample. It still works, just now it makes a faint hum while its powered on. :sigh:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Does it hum on batteries?

e: To explain, you may be experiencing a ground loop.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Sep 7, 2016

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000
So, who is going to Knobcon?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Yeah, it hums on batteries. It seems manageable when playing with gain on the mixer, but it's very noticeable when just using headphones. Day saved? I'll mess with it more later.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

So Math posted:

I think I plugged something I shouldn't have while trying to record my Volca Sample. It still works, just now it makes a faint hum while its powered on. :sigh:

thanks but i already ordered a richter
i reckon the lfo switch might come in handy but if i need another one ill let you know

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

HerzogZwo posted:

So, who is going to Knobcon?

I'm planning on it. I'm local, so I'll probably just swing by for a few hours on Saturday, depending on when the baby sleeps.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gB5VJyArpQ

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2016/09/07/the-music-room-brings-midi-instruments-to-virtual-reality/

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I've played on Vive for a few hours now and there's some really neat possibilities. I'm not really sold or big on playing virutal drums beyond fun factor, but I'd love to see things like Max For Live with a VR setup, or NI's Blocks; being able to manipulate virtual modular connections in virtual space would be useful. Of all the things I played with the most was simply realizing how easy it is to lay out things in 3D with VR, and having virtual sequencers and stuff you could wire that way to MIDI outs or virtual instruments would be awesome.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

good jovi posted:

I'm planning on it. I'm local, so I'll probably just swing by for a few hours on Saturday, depending on when the baby sleeps.

Cool, me too. But my babies are older (6 & 9) and get in free so maybe I'll take them along! So I'll be the guy trying to keep my 6 year old from breaking expensive synths I can't afford.

e: Wait, I know! If Akai brings a Timbre Wolf to demo, she can just play with that, if she breaks it they will probably thank me!

HerzogZwo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

HerzogZwo posted:

e: Wait, I know! If Akai brings a Timbre Wolf to demo, she can just play with that, if she breaks it they will probably thank me!

There's one of those sitting at the local music store. It still calls to me. I'm hoping it'll go on sale eventually.

We've got one of those Roland innovation centers opening up this weekend, so I'll probably go have a look at least since I can't make knobcon. I can't imagine why they'd time their grand opening with knobcon, but hey, if it raises my odds of winning something I'll take it. I still break out the bitrazer I won once in a while.