Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Happy to do the survey but for gods sake doing part of your wedding on Dota 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
Weddings in games? I thought that was mostly a WoW thing.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

completed the questionnaire, please let us know what you find with the results

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
yeah i participated as well, keep us updated!

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Completed the questionnaire as well.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I completed the survey even though I haven't played in a few months, though I think my answers probably do a good job of describing why I stopped playing at least which is probably useful?

Beef
Jul 26, 2004
Guys, I feel lonely and I feel like I can talk to the dota2 community about my personal problems.

fake e: please don't sell my email

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

I'll definitely let you guys know what I find. Like all research, it will be a while though, since after data collection comes analysis and such. Should have some preliminary findings in a few months though!

No worries, IcePhoenix, even if you haven't played in a few months, its still useful to see what you have to say.

As for you, Beef, I'm not in that line of work.

Still need more people to fill it out, so if any of you know others who might be willing to take it, I'd be grateful. Thanks again!

alfheimwanderer fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 7, 2016

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I filled out the survey and passed the link along to non-goon dota players, I appreciate that someone is doing this kind of study

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

alfheimwanderer posted:

As for you, Beef, I'm not in that line of work.

All researchers have to whore themselves out from time to time, it's how you can afford working on interesting stuff :sun:

What field are you publishing in? Are you doing a comparative study with other games?

Speaking of dota community, where are the dota goons hanging around these days? Ingame lljk na discord channels are silent.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

No joke, having played most mobas (including at least 3 that no longer exist), I've come to the conclusion that DOTA2 players are the most miserable and alien players. Not to say they're the most toxic (HoN easily wins that), but every time I play I have no idea whats going to set off allies or make them randomly DC or whatever.

Also I filled out the survey, best of luck in your research :)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Seriously. You're gonna get so many responses like this given that this is the 'I don't play Dota 2 anymore but I will yell at sweaty nerds' thread. Anyway I filled in my survey as well.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Geight posted:

I filled out the survey and passed the link along to non-goon dota players, I appreciate that someone is doing this kind of study

Much appreciated. :)

Beef posted:

All researchers have to whore themselves out from time to time, it's how you can afford working on interesting stuff :sun:

Nah, we work with taxpayer money. Well, those of us who are lucky enough.

quote:

What field are you publishing in? Are you doing a comparative study with other games?

Research into this stuff tends to go into Social Psych or Computer-Human Interaction. At the moment, this particular study just focuses on DOTA 2 due to limitations in funding, though I do plan to do studies on other MOBAs for comparison, with LoL being next on the list (since it also has a large community and a official API), and then possibly some of the others, like HoTS, which is the one I actually play these days.

Neurolimal posted:

No joke, having played most mobas (including at least 3 that no longer exist), I've come to the conclusion that DOTA2 players are the most miserable and alien players. Not to say they're the most toxic (HoN easily wins that), but every time I play I have no idea whats going to set off allies or make them randomly DC or whatever.

Heh. Yeah, I've heard things about HoN...

alfheimwanderer fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 7, 2016

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Took the survey, quickly realized I haven't played dotes in a long rear end time and half of the questions were irrelevant to me.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
I'm filling this out on mobile but I'm question 38 and all the answers are blank. I assume this is just something that isn't loading correctly on mobile so is anyone able to remember what those responses are? I assume they're the somewhat un/likely questions so if I can know the order that they are listed in I can do them blindly that way

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Luna Was Here posted:

I'm filling this out on mobile but I'm question 38 and all the answers are blank. I assume this is just something that isn't loading correctly on mobile so is anyone able to remember what those responses are? I assume they're the somewhat un/likely questions so if I can know the order that they are listed in I can do them blindly that way

I saw those too; I assumed that they used the same measurement system as the prior ones (1-7 strongly disagree to strongly agree).

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I feel like sometimes the questions in the same sections were supposed to be about the same things/people but didn't end up feeling like they were. The biggest example of that for me was an entire section about the people I play DotA with and if I'd ask them for help with personal problems. My answers probably seem extremely scattershot because sometimes the questions made me think of the friends that I play DotA 2 with regularly because I know them in reality, and other times the questions made me think of people I only met through DotA who I would not share anything personal with.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
How did you get Steam Master Keys?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
That is a strangely worded question. Does that imply people don't enjoy the game, or that they just aren't remarking to themselves at the time of play "wow I sure am having fun right now!"

I can't think about that now, I gotta yell at this scrub because he didn't stack the small camp before pulling the wave!

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
I can't wait to go home and play dota - said no one, ever

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I mean, not out loud, but I am on my way home right now, planning to play DOTA2, and expecting to enjoy it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I completed the survey and I found the question about what role you prefer to play to be weird. You used the tags Valve assigns to heroes to describe them, but not all of those directly tie up to every role. Sure Carry and Support do but there's no single tag that signifies a hero as a midlaner or offlaner. From what I've seen, players tend to identify themselves by what lane position they prefer to play. Tons of people pretty much exclusively try to play mid, as an example, which is completely different from being a safelane farming carry. But in your survey there would be no way to signify that.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Next time I am playing with random people who are screaming at each other in Spanish I am going to ask them If I can bare my soul to them and talk about personal issues. Thanks survey for inspiring me.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Neurolimal posted:

I saw those too; I assumed that they used the same measurement system as the prior ones (1-7 strongly disagree to strongly agree).

Its probably the "How do you communicate with people in game" question, which would make the responses ranging from "Not at all" to "Almost Exclusively"

im gay posted:

How did you get Steam Master Keys?

Valve was kind enough to supply me with some Master Keys when I asked, since they're fairly supportive of research (Riot has ceased to help external researchers as much, after Lyte left). They're also one of the big places that like to hire eclectic folk, like economists, UX researchers, and the like.

Internet Kraken posted:

I completed the survey and I found the question about what role you prefer to play to be weird. You used the tags Valve assigns to heroes to describe them, but not all of those directly tie up to every role. Sure Carry and Support do but there's no single tag that signifies a hero as a midlaner or offlaner. From what I've seen, players tend to identify themselves by what lane position they prefer to play. Tons of people pretty much exclusively try to play mid, as an example, which is completely different from being a safelane farming carry. But in your survey there would be no way to signify that.

Hm. You're saying I should have a question for which lane people prefer? Top, bot, mid? I'll keep that in mind for next time - given that I come most recently from HoTS, conventions are a bit different there.

Putin It In Mah rear end posted:

That is a strangely worded question. Does that imply people don't enjoy the game, or that they just aren't remarking to themselves at the time of play "wow I sure am having fun right now!"

There's elements of both, more the latter than the former. Its a question that has to do with where one's attention is, given that there are other questions dealing directly with fun.

Superrodan posted:

I feel like sometimes the questions in the same sections were supposed to be about the same things/people but didn't end up feeling like they were. The biggest example of that for me was an entire section about the people I play DotA with and if I'd ask them for help with personal problems. My answers probably seem extremely scattershot because sometimes the questions made me think of the friends that I play DotA 2 with regularly because I know them in reality, and other times the questions made me think of people I only met through DotA who I would not share anything personal with.

That's actually fairly intentional, which is why sometimes the questions are about "someone you play with" and sometimes about "people in DOTA 2." Surveys of this sort often probe about an issue through a variety of questions, both to make sure people are paying attention (though we use also use the "Please choose ___ " questions as well), and to see if by coming from a different angle, we're actually looking at a different construct (or group) - kind of like when you're thinking about two different groups of people.

alfheimwanderer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 8, 2016

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
looks like Envy's team will be announced imminently https://twitter.com/NPDotA

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

alfheimwanderer posted:

Hm. You're saying I should have a question for which lane people prefer? Top, bot, mid? I'll keep that in mind for next time - given that I come most recently from HoTS, conventions are a bit different there.

The distinctions are generally "1-5" "safelane carry/midlaner/offlaner/support/hard support".

The Valve roles generally describe a particular hero preference in regards to their playstyle, so they're still relevant. I like playing support so I play 4 or 5, but I also like playing initiators so I liked playing certain 2s in previous patches and certain 3s currently.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

emdash posted:

logo looks like a sperm

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

schmitty9800 posted:

The distinctions are generally "1-5" "safelane carry/midlaner/offlaner/support/hard support".
I would wager that most players don't make a distinction between 4 and 5 (and most of the time in pubs there's only one support anyway), and are less familiar with the 1-5 system in general, so the safelane/mid/offlane/support categorization makes the most sense here.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The roles I would just list would be.

Carry
Support
Offlaner
Midlaner
None Preferred

I think those are the terms people most often use to describe their preferred roles in pubs. Some people use the 1-5 pro positions but a lot of people don't know or understand what those exactly are.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
You're missing "single player jungler" there.

McSharpie
Nov 11, 2005
Hotter than Garrison Keillor, but just a little bit.
"Team NP" is only two letters away from being "Team OG" way to pick an original name EE-sama

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Incoherence posted:

I would wager that most players don't make a distinction between 4 and 5 (and most of the time in pubs there's only one support anyway), and are less familiar with the 1-5 system in general, so the safelane/mid/offlane/support categorization makes the most sense here.

I would say most people understand the distinction between support and hard support its just most people don't see it in pubs because in most pubs people are trying to be the carry instead of the ward bitch

alfheimwanderer posted:

There's elements of both, more the latter than the former. Its a question that has to do with where one's attention is, given that there are other questions dealing directly with fun.

My problem with that question is when Im playing a game I never really think "man Im having fun" my line of thinking is more focused on what is happening in the game that is giving me the feeling of fun. I never really think about fun in the moment, its always an afterthought to me. Like after a session of playing The Witcher I always come out of it thinking "what a great game and I still have so much more to do" but I'm not thinking about that when I'm in game, my mind is always on the doing and its the same thing in Dota. When I'm in game I'm more so focused on the objective of win the game and usually win or lose I come out of it thinking "that was fun, I think I'll do another" until I either have to quit due to time or because of one of those losses that's just plain soul crushing.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

McSharpie posted:

"Team NP" is only two letters away from being "Team OG" way to pick an original name EE-sama

Bring back No Tidehunter

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Xtanstic posted:

Seriously. You're gonna get so many responses like this given that this is the 'I don't play Dota 2 anymore but I will yell at sweaty nerds' thread. Anyway I filled in my survey as well.

Pretty much this. It must be a cultural thing (I'm peruvian) because after playing since 5.36 I still come back from work to play dotes while feeling the thrill and yelling "gently caress yesssss" when things go my way. English is not my main language and I'm from an actual Third World Country so I'm at a lack of words to describe someone who would willingly boot up a videogame to be miserable.

P.S: Filling the survey, good luck!

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Luna Was Here posted:

My problem with that question is when Im playing a game I never really think "man Im having fun" my line of thinking is more focused on what is happening in the game that is giving me the feeling of fun. I never really think about fun in the moment, its always an afterthought to me. Like after a session of playing The Witcher I always come out of it thinking "what a great game and I still have so much more to do" but I'm not thinking about that when I'm in game, my mind is always on the doing and its the same thing in Dota. When I'm in game I'm more so focused on the objective of win the game and usually win or lose I come out of it thinking "that was fun, I think I'll do another" until I either have to quit due to time or because of one of those losses that's just plain soul crushing.

No, I get that.

For many games, especially those which are designed to be immersive/highly competitive/fast paced, you're not going to be thinking about whether it was fun or not until you reflect on it afterwards, with a high level of engagement during the game leading to enjoyment after (especially if you've accomplished something). For other games, which may be slower-paced or gives you pauses to reflect (like Tower Defense), you might get that hit of enjoyment during the game itself, as opposed to afterward.

Of course, its also a standard question adapted from a previously validated psych instrument, which is why its not necessarily a perfect fit.

schmitty9800 posted:

The Valve roles generally describe a particular hero preference in regards to their playstyle, so they're still relevant. I like playing support so I play 4 or 5, but I also like playing initiators so I liked playing certain 2s in previous patches and certain 3s currently.

Ok, will keep that in mind. I was mostly going with Valve's roles since I was looking at hero/role preferences, but I will certainly add something for the next survey. Thank you!

alfheimwanderer fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 8, 2016

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

emdash posted:

looks like complexity have some competition haha xd

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013
Completed the survey.
Interesting question set and I can see there are many aspects that could result in very revealing connections to effective game making.
I think you could benefit from adding a section that asks or quantifies players feelings and what keeps them playing the game.
For me I find that 60 to 70 percent of games are dog poo poo garbage with impossibly dumb humans but the few games that work are incredibly satisfying, so much so that I will put up with so many horrible games
Quantifying what brings players back time and time again no matter the flaws of a game could be useful from an industry standpoint.

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

Luna Was Here posted:

I would say most people understand the distinction between support and hard support its just most people don't see it in pubs because in most pubs people are trying to be the carry instead of the ward bitch

There is no such thing as two supports in a game. The standard is carry, Mid, offlane, jungler and mobile ward dispenser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Majuju posted:

logo looks like a sperm

Team NoPorn?

• Locked thread