Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

My cat just woke me up with painful sounding yowling and liquid vomit in the middle of the night. He was dead by morning.

Was there anything I could have done?

I'm so sorry, that's horrible. I don't think there are very many pet owners who would rush a cat to the vet in the middle of the night just because it threw up and even if you had done that there's no saying that they would have been able to do anything. Cats are really great at hiding when there's something seriously wrong with them until it's far too late :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Klaus88 posted:

My cat just woke me up with painful sounding yowling and liquid vomit in the middle of the night. He was dead by morning.

gently caress. Probably not? It was either the end of an illness kept hidden, or if it was poison it had probably gone too far to have a realistic chance of getting back from, sounds like. Sorry, that's terrible.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

Klaus88 posted:

Sudden deaths like that are very often cardiac related, according to vets I've worked with. So no, there is little to nothing you could have done.

The Great Outdoors
Aug 11, 2010
Hi guys, sorry if this information is in the OP and i skipped over it, but could anyone educate me about the pros and cons of getting 2 kittens from the same litter versus adopting 2 kittens from different litters. Thanks!

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Great Outdoors posted:

Hi guys, sorry if this information is in the OP and i skipped over it, but could anyone educate me about the pros and cons of getting 2 kittens from the same litter versus adopting 2 kittens from different litters. Thanks!

Same litter: you get them from the same place, they already know each other. Might look the same or completely different.

Different litter: I guess might come from a different place? Don't already know each other but if they're little kittens they'll get on just as well as siblings probably. Might look the same or completely different.

That's about it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
If they're already bonded it doesn't matter much if they're related or not, also

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
I have a kitten born in april, he's just fine. Loves everyone, very curious and social. Gets rambuctious and bitey, but it's nothing i haven't coped with before.
Getting my big 14 year old queen kitty to relax with him around is what I can't manage. She's afraid of her usual spots now, she always has to be on top of the fridge, a dresser in my bedroom or on top of a few stacked boxes. She only leaves those spots for food and litter box.
I don't think i can get her to love the kitten, but I'm certain i should be able to get her to feel comfortable in her own home again.

Summary: How do i get a grouchy older cat to relax around a kitten?
I got lilac(the older cat now) as a kitten and she fairly quickly bonded with an older male cat, but he was a mellow cat of about 7 years old at the time. Lilac is timid, quiet and neophobic, but not at all mellow.
I worry Lilac is just too old and used to being alone to ever accept kitty company.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Klaus88 posted:

I'm sorry :smith: I don't think there's much you could have done, if he goes downhill like that in just a few hours even immediate care would likely only stand any chance of helping if you/vet knew exactly what it was, and even then...

As someone said, the little furry blighters are very good at hiding things wrong with them. Don't beat yourself up. Take solace in the fact you gave him a good and comfy life.

e; ^ That sounds a lot like our situation with Jinx and Fred/Hieronymus. Jinx is like 13, the other two were kittens when we got them last year. They mostly play with each other and us humans, but sometimes they want to play with the big kitties. Sugi, our other older cat, doesn't really mind but is pretty old so there's not much fun to be had. Jinx will run away though (Which only encourages them of course), and he gets pissy sometimes even if the kittens don't want to play, just because they're on the same bed or something. They've settled into an equilibrium but I don't think Jinx is going to ever be really happy about them.

Amusingly, Jinx is like twice as big and heavy as Fred and Hronny put together and could easily dissuade them with one swipe, but he's the scardiest wimpiest cat I've ever met in my life.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 5, 2016

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

That's an absolutely awful way for a cat to die. I would want to blame myself too, but there's really *nothing* you can do, sometimes :( I don't blame you for seeking assurance at all.

In other news, things are really going better and better with Sardine. After almost literally a month of not coming out of a cupboard near the ceiling, she is finally showing up and actually moving around the apartment, and letting me pet her, and being adorable, and purring :3: It's really nice to see, because she was so wound up and terrified of me and of the situation (her people leaving her behind, etc) that it was honestly kind of painful to see her there all the time. I'm so glad I stuck with it, though.

Sardine is even legitimately trying to make friends with Jackie, at least I think. Sardine will kinda sneak up to Jackie and they'll be nose-to-nose sniffing each other for a second or two before Jackie hisses and darts back, or gives Sardine a bit of smack with her paw while hissing and darting back - nothing really fierce. I'm really excited that Sardine seems to want to make friends, because it would be *so* great if these two really wound up getting along - you know, grooming each other, cuddling together, etc.

Am I foolish for even hoping that could happen? After ~4.5 weeks I'm really kind of shocked at how quickly they've gotten to be OK with each other, quite frankly. They even have no issue sharing litter boxes and food dishes.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Good news: my two cats finally stopped fighting and have started getting along after six months, grooming each other and everything. (kaworu: if my cats were any indication - this long before they finally settled down - I would say you could at least hold out hope that yours will get along pretty well!) This also means I get to see more of the one that got chased into the basement all summer long.

Bad news: One just puked up a roundworm. :sigh:

So, medicine for both kitties, complete washing of all the litter boxes, and monitoring (and lots of hand washing) for myself and the wife. What else am I missing here?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

kaworu posted:

Am I foolish for even hoping that could happen? After ~4.5 weeks I'm really kind of shocked at how quickly they've gotten to be OK with each other, quite frankly. They even have no issue sharing litter boxes and food dishes.

Nope, they may well reach that point in time! Glad to hear they're getting on increasingly well! :D

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Checked the mail today and as I was closing the door I looked down and saw that my cat somehow got past me and outside. I heard a meow behind me and there was my cat also. This wasn't right so upon further investigation hello neighborhood tortie. She was super friendly but also hungry and killed off a handful of food in seconds. I let the two stare at each other through the storm door until she pounced and hissed at mine so I declared enough and went back inside. The neighbors say she's been around for a while and don't know if she belongs to anyone.

Invader

Judging from her grey face fuzz my guess is she's around 10.

Here's my idiot

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Kaworu, I just want you to know that when I inevitably give into temptation and get a second cat, Sardine is 100% the name I am going to pick, to go along with Tuna, so thanks for that.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Hope's jaw and nose are already less pink than they were before, so hooray, ceramic bowls seem to be helping. So far, anyway, we'll see if it goes away entirely.

Still wish I could afford the rent fees for a second cat for her to be friends with, though :(

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Boogalo posted:

don't know if she belongs to anyone.

Sounds like she's working on it. Looks like a good cat. Already named, too.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Hey cat thread people,

I've been thinking about getting an animal for my apartment. It's a small bachelor pad, 430 sq feet. Cats are allowed at my building, but I'm not entirely sure it's fair to the animal to live in a relatively small space like this. On the other hand, if I adopted a 3+ year old animal, living here would probably be better than being put down right?
Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Go to a shelter and ask for the laziest cat.

Vertical space will help in giving a cat way more space to explore. Shelves, cat trees, window ledges etc. Its cozy enough for one cat!

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Hey cat thread people,

I've been thinking about getting an animal for my apartment. It's a small bachelor pad, 430 sq feet. Cats are allowed at my building, but I'm not entirely sure it's fair to the animal to live in a relatively small space like this. On the other hand, if I adopted a 3+ year old animal, living here would probably be better than being put down right?

If you have a balcony, put up some netting and make a catio. If not, consider a window screen so cat can get smells and sounds without worrying about them falling out. Make sure you've got time in your routine for at least half an hour's active play daily. Seconding making use of vertical space - I got some cheap IKEA wall shelves, stapled on some fabric and sisal and my cat loves his ersatz cat tree.

My flat is smaller than yours and I manage to keep my incredibly high energy youngster happy so a chill older cat shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure you ask specifically to meet lazy adult cats and look for 3-4+ year olds as they've generally calmed down by then.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I got Cookie as a 5 year old, and from the day I brought him home he'd be happy to sleep nearly the entire day away. The few hours he's not asleep he'll spend headbutting me or tussling with the other cat.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Hey cat thread people,

Cats are fine in small spaces as long as they have vertical stuff to play on and a window to look out of. My friend has a cat in an apartment about that size and it seems quite content.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deteriorata posted:

Cats are fine in small spaces as long as they have vertical stuff to play on and a window to look out of. My friend has a cat in an apartment about that size and it seems quite content.

Can confirm, I had to catsit two cats in a tiny apartment. I borrowed their owner's aramark cat tree, opened the windows, and let them climb on my computer desk area and book/dresser shelves. They seemed happy.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

The Lord of Hats posted:

Kaworu, I just want you to know that when I inevitably give into temptation and get a second cat, Sardine is 100% the name I am going to pick, to go along with Tuna, so thanks for that.

Haha, you know what the funny thing is? I didn't even name her that. Nor did I get to name my cat of 6 years now, Jackie. And to be honest, well... I'm not the sort of person who would give their pets names like "Jackie" or "Sardine" either, for that matter! I'd probably have given my pets names from semi-obscure sci-fi/fantasy novels or, even worse, some anime/manga, like the worst kind of dweeb. If I had named Jackie 10 years ago initially, she might be "Tehanu" or worse yet "Asuka" or god knows what. But then, if I had a choice I'd be getting a male cat and probably naming him something even dweebier still.

So anyway, it's probably good that I wind up with the names I have, they're great, and they are the cats names! A friend asked me if I was going to rename Sardine, and I looked at him like he was crazy; how can you just rename a cat like that, who has had the same name her entire life? I couldn't do it. Besides, 'Sardine' has grown considerably on me as a name, and I now think it's totally badass.

Also, I have gotten more accurate information about Sardine: she was NOT feral or even close to it - they actually adopted her as a stray kitten in Manhattan, at the same time as when they adopted another kitten officially through a shelter. You see, their other kitty (whose name I didn't get) would see Sardine through the window and they'd be meowing at each other, so they took Sardine in, and the two cats grew up as kitty friends. Which means I *do* know exactly how old Sardine is more or less (about 4.5 years old) and that makes her a good bit younger than my 10-year-old Jackie-cat. And VERY unfortunately, they were not able to re-home the two cats together (which I REALLY wish I'd known initially and which is really sad for Sardine and the other cat probably) and it also explains a *lot*.

Jackie has been an only cat for 6 years with me and has had me to herself more or less that entire time - she begrudgingly would share me with an occasional boyfriend. While Sardine (whom they described to me as "cat's cat" meaning she spent a lot of time hanging out with the other cat rather than humans) is obviously used to having a friendly cat around. So that really explains the dynamic and the issues in them getting along. Sardine is such a sweetheart and so good-natured, I am hoping she melts Jackie's icily jealous heart.

And basically things are proceeding along these lines - Sardine is trying to make overtures and coming up to Jackie and sniffing her various orifices, and Jackie is hissing or meowing at her a lot. I'm holding out hope still Jackie will mellow out. Right now it's a bit rough on the relationship between me and Jackie, since she's still pouting about the fact that she's gotta share me with another cat, now.

Hey cat thread people,

I just spent a year and a half living in a single studio bachelor pad like that (which allowed one cat per apartment and no more) and it really worked out fine. I would say window access is at least as important as vertical space, but the cat will be fine. Jackie did get a bit stir-crazy at times, meowing at corners of the room on occasion, but that was it.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 7, 2016

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Thanks for all the advice. I'll be checking out some shelters the next few days, and ordering poo poo off amazon to get 1 happy cat.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm pissed for a friend/their old cat.

They had to give up their 5 year old cat because of conflicts with the dog. A coworker adopted the cat and was told repeatedly "This cat needs to be an only cat"
Now there are a bunch of emails "we got a kitten a couple months ago and the other cat isn't happy, who wants this cat. It needs a new home."

It's taking all my restraint to not hit reply all and call him out for his clearly responsible pet ownership.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

toplitzin posted:

They had to give up their 5 year old cat because of conflicts with the dog. A coworker adopted the cat and was told repeatedly "This cat needs to be an only cat"
Now there are a bunch of emails "we got a kitten a couple months ago and the other cat isn't happy, who wants this cat. It needs a new home."

It's taking all my restraint to not hit reply all and call him out for his clearly responsible pet ownership.

do it. that person is a shithead.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
If you guys live near Sacramento (even the Bay Area) and need dental work done, Cats About Town, an organization in Sacramento, does low-cost feline dental work:

http://catsabouttown.org/resources/low-cost-dental-surgery-and-cleaning/

Took Tigger to go see them yesterday

Since our vet thought that he might have stomatitis. Turns out he has gingivitis and gave him a thorough cleaning and polishing. They did pull an incisor out since there was a bit of decay there. Overall, just really happy about it and saved me $1800 over our vet (and others in the Bay Area).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

toplitzin posted:

Uuuggghhh do it. I hate when people don't follow what they are told about beasties :(

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I promised Jackie I'd never get another cat as long as I had her, and I've basically broken this promise by adopting Sardine - regardless of how selfless my reasons may be, I do feel like a jerk who has betrayed a loved one. And Jackie is totally behaving like a jilted lover now that I'm paying attention to Sardine *at all*. But then, Jackie gets to sleep in my bed, and she does show up at night purring like a lawnmower at night in my bed, sitting on chest with her face about a half-inch from mine. She'll really stay that way for as long as I'll let her, eventually she gets off my chest and stomach and curls up either on the pillow adjacent to mine or down by knees and sleeps most of the night there.

Since we moved to a better apartment with our own little backyard where she gets to go out, and since Jackie's a smart kitty and very quickly understood I would never let her out at night, she now wakes me up with frighteningly regularity *always* approximately ~30 minutes after the break of dawn, demanding that she be let out and/or fed. It's pretty frustrating, but I encourage it because frankly she needs the exercise.

Jackie was fat to begin with, but living in a one-room apartment did not help her physique at *all*, because it was tough to really even have much room to play. Now, it's crazy-different! Now I'm in a 2-floor apartment on the second floor, and I sleep on the third floor, and Jackie has to go up and down all these steps to get outside, or up and down steps to get to my room, and she has a couple huge rooms to run around in if she wants, and I am really optimistic this will all translate into her losing weight.

I mean right now she is just... Jackie has this like, pouch of fat under her, which sort of wobbles back and forth almost like an udder when she walks/waddles. And because she's so polydactyl (8 toes on each front paw!) she also walks with these big clumsy splayed-out paws which do not have good traction, probably because it hurts for her to use her claws too much. So she waddles.

I need to take a video of her going down a set of stairs with speed, it is... the *funniest* thing in the entire world, I can hardly describe it! It's because she, like, charges down but hops with both front paws at the same time and then both rear paws, so it's like she's bouncing up and down these stairs with her big floofy butt flopping up and down almost hypnotically. Really gotta get that on film.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

I'm looking to adopt a hypoallergenic cat with my very allergic fiancée, does anyone here have any experience with them? We were looking into getting a Siberian and would appreciate any advice on what to look for in breeders and so on.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I used to be super allergic but hadn't been around cats in several years so I went to the local shelter and cuddled she poo poo out of every cat that would let me. It all had no negative effect so I took home the cuddliest one. Has she tested the allergy lately or is it something a regular daily over the counter pill can alleviate? Your shelter might even have some of the less allergic breeds in a mix.

I did notice after a while I would get slightly itchy eyes but that was just a signal I needed to vacuum a little more often.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
Tiger has puked up her food 3 times in a month :(

A bit of background:
- She got rid of a tapeworm a few months ago that she probably had for most of her life (she's 2 years old).

- We switched from Whiskas, to some fancy organic brand, and when we switched back (convenience, no petstores nearby), she hardly ate for a few days, and then ate the whole bowl in one sitting. We've since switched back to the fancy food.

- My mom stayed for a week and a half at the same time we switched back to Whiskas, and she wasn't used to someone actually staying over. (She was pretty cool with it though, except the second day, she came downstairs loudly meowing and stretching, until she heard my mom, did a double take, and ran back upstairs.)

She's very active, eats, drinks, uses the litterbox regularly. Last time she puked was Saturday, I've been watching her like a hawk, but everything seems fine. I *think* she's just been overeating, but if this becomes a habit, I'm taking her to the vet.

Bonus potato kitty pictures (because I had my tablet at hand):

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tiger is most likely just being an idiot (why bother with brains when you look that gorgeous? :swoon:) but it won't hurt to have her checked out if it persists. Three times in a month doesn't set off any big alarm bells to me, especially if there's no other symptoms, I've definitely seen healthy cats do that much barfing. If it works with your schedule, try adding an extra meal in the day with the same total amount of food. Also keep an eye on her poops, if there's something wrong beyond being a gorby little fatso, that's probably the next place you'd notice anything.

Also kaworu Jackie sounds adorable, and I would also expect her increased activity to help her weight. We have a similar cat enclosure for the boys and they get really salty in winter when we close the flap overnight in case the weather turns bad.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Happy Friday cat thread.

Here's a cat video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PpZJyfr6H8

The channel's about a kitten a family found nearly frozen to death but were able to revive. Now it's a full grown healthy cat. Happy ending.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Dropped dead cat's remains off at the vet in order to give him a proper send off to kitty Valhalla.

I swear my other cats are in mourning for dead kitty.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Klaus88 posted:

Dropped dead cat's remains off at the vet in order to give him a proper send off to kitty Valhalla.

He will be welcomed as a great hunter. :black101:

And it's entirely probable they are mourning, cats are wholly capable of grief and missing others and stuff like that. Ours were definitely down for a bit when Teeko died a few years ago.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
Stuff for a new adoption:

I haven't been to the adoption center yet, but right now I'm looking at a few hundred dollars worth of stuff to set up before I take an animal home.
Some extra stuff I was gonna drop money on was:

Water fountain because stale water is gross: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MPE5PAO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_11?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1
Furminator (cause it's in the OP): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VBR10K0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A1PT0C9LBWJNG0&psc=1
Cat tree (to make sure she/he can look outside my apartment window into the street below): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GR9TW2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I'm not worried about the cost of all these things, I'm just wondering if they're worth it. Cats all universally like this poo poo, right?

Oh, and the one thing I really don't want is my house smelling like urine due to the litter box. I'm purchasing one with a lid and a door, which also comes with some carbon filters: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0035H38W2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1
That should be enough?

Killed a Girl in 96 fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 9, 2016

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Tiger is most likely just being an idiot (why bother with brains when you look that gorgeous? :swoon:) but it won't hurt to have her checked out if it persists. Three times in a month doesn't set off any big alarm bells to me, especially if there's no other symptoms, I've definitely seen healthy cats do that much barfing. If it works with your schedule, try adding an extra meal in the day with the same total amount of food. Also keep an eye on her poops, if there's something wrong beyond being a gorby little fatso, that's probably the next place you'd notice anything.

She's free fed, so she always has food (and usually pretty good with it). And yeah, keeping an eye on everything :)

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I haven't been to the adoption center yet, but right now I'm looking at a few hundred dollars worth of stuff to set up before I take an animal home.

Water fountain because stale water is gross: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MPE5PAO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_11?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1
Furminator (cause it's in the OP): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VBR10K0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=A1PT0C9LBWJNG0&psc=1
Cat tree (to make sure she/he can look outside my apartment window into the street below): https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GR9TW2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

I'm not worried about the cost of all these things, I'm just wondering if they're worth it. Cats all universally like this poo poo, right?

Oh, and the one thing I really don't want is my house smelling like urine due to the litter box. I'm purchasing one with a lid and a door, which also comes with some carbon filters: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0035H38W2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_9?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1
That should be enough?

Lots of cats don't like fountains but lots love them and you won't know until you try one. They do pretty much all love cat trees. Furminators aren't really necessary, I've never had one. Might be useful if you have a very fluffy cat who gets furballs more often than you'd like.

Your house won't smell like urine with most kinds of litter, you don't have to worry about carbon filters and lids and doors. It might smell like crap depending on the litter, where you put the box and what you feed your cat, but scoop daily (at least) and you should be fine.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

That should be enough?

dont be too upset when the packaging and boxes is more exciting than the stuff you bought at first but yeah seems like all sensible stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Klaus88 posted:

They do. They can also grieve (or pine or whatever) for people. We get cats in sometimes where the owner was an elderly person who died (or went into care) leaving cat(s). The poor sods sit around shell shocked for days or weeks sometimes. The ones that cry (if you've never heard it be thankful, it's heart breaking) are the worst. There's only so much time you can spare to sit with them in the pens.

I lost one of mine to aggressive cancer 8 years ago and his best buddy Oliver sat at the top of the stairs calling him for a couple of weeks. He still wanders around the house calling sometimes but that may well be senility kicking in now.

Boogalo posted:

Checked the mail today and as I was closing the door I looked down and saw that my cat somehow got past me and outside. I heard a meow behind me and there was my cat also. This wasn't right so upon further investigation hello neighborhood tortie. She was super friendly but also hungry and killed off a handful of food in seconds. I let the two stare at each other through the storm door until she pounced and hissed at mine so I declared enough and went back inside. The neighbors say she's been around for a while and don't know if she belongs to anyone.

Don't leave her out too long, ring your local rescue. They can help making posters to see if she's missing locally and they'll trap/collect her if they have pens space. From the pictures she's in decent nick but with the year drawing on that can change fast. Age is impossible really without checking her teeth or an x-ray, the grey fur could just be markings (she's a brindle tortie like one of mine, my girl has patches of fur with the same grey ends). Rescues get a lot of "can you help with a cat that's hanging around? yeah it's been in the gardens for 6/12/18 months..." and tend to think - jesus, why make the cat sit outside so long, just pick up the phone.
Don't bother with the RSPCA (you're in the UK right?), they're bloody useless (they tell people 'if you fed it, it's now your cat. Goodbye'). Look for cat rescues on google or one may have posters in a newsagent window. Cats protection like a lot of big charities can be very variable. Some groups are ok, some are just twats looking to tick off 'work for charity'.

Strays will often try to muscle into a new home because hey, outside is cold and wet. Also if she's not been spayed and is a stray, you'll soon have a garden full of hissy spitty kittens.