Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

It'd be nice, but I think they're sticking to the structure they have. It must've been part of the contract.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I still haven't finished JJ. I dunno, I was pretty surprised they started with the Killgrave story right from the start. I really liked in Alias where it was kinda just hinted that something really lovely had happened to her but it took its time throughout the whole series to build up to it. I guess so when they got to that plot arc she was more of a developed character for the reader to deal with at that point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Wheat Loaf posted:

Story I've heard is that she wasn't originally planning on coming back for X3 because she expected that Catwoman would make her the face of the next big superhero franchise.

I never thought about this. Halle Berry was in a Marvel movie and then a DC movie the next year. How often does something like that happen? How was Marvel even okay with that?

Lurdiak posted:

Jessica Jones and Daredevil Season 2 were great (except when the Hand stuff kicked into high gear, that poo poo got lame).

DD S2's problem to me is that The Punisher ended up being WAY better than The Hand and I don't think the directors expected that to happen. So they blew their load early and then the rest of the season becomes "Get back to Frank". Which is bad for the titular character and extra bad for Elektra.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Marvel had no say in it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

DD S2's problem to me is that The Punisher ended up being WAY better than The Hand and I don't think the directors expected that to happen. So they blew their load early and then the rest of the season becomes "Get back to Frank". Which is bad for the titular character and extra bad for Elektra.

Which is weird because the Punisher was such a huge draw for the season and they advertised him a lot, but you're right, that's how it worked out.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like (most of) the cast of JJ, but it felt like a huge chunk of the story was just filler. If it had just been JJ dealing with Kilgrave and hanging with Luke it would have been a much stronger season. I couldn't force myself to care about her talk show host friend or the dumb cop who was apparently supposed to be Nuke.

The Nuke storyline was sequel bait. They definitely could have made a tighter, better season if they were aiming for "one and done".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SonicRulez posted:

I never thought about this. Halle Berry was in a Marvel movie and then a DC movie the next year. How often does something like that happen? How was Marvel even okay with that?

Well, the MCU didn't exist at the time. I'm not even sure if Marvel Studios had got itself together yet.

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

So Dr. strange has had its release date brought forward to October 25th in the UK.
Seriously psyched

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, the MCU didn't exist at the time. I'm not even sure if Marvel Studios had got itself together yet.

Fox was famously not OK with James Marsden moonlighting over to WB for Superman Returns, but Halle Berry was a much bigger star and Catwoman had already bombed pretty hardcore. Superman Returns could theoretically have been a smash hit so Fox had a lot to be jealous about.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Popeahuntis posted:

So Dr. strange has had its release date brought forward to October 25th in the UK.
Seriously psyched

Marvel's (and several other studios) love of European early releases because they are the biggest piracy market makes me jealous. Don't reward those thieving Euros!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is that just UK or greater EU? I'm a Yankee living in Finland and I can't make sense of the movie release schedule here.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kingtheninja posted:

Is that just UK or greater EU? I'm a Yankee living in Finland and I can't make sense of the movie release schedule here.

Generally the greater EU. Apparently, this is a business decision that a lot of studios are jumping in on. Eastern Europe and Germany apparently have the highest piracy rates for English movies that are released first in North America. So, they just started releasing the movies in the E.U. first to avoid it.

France and Hong Kong are actually getting Dr. Strange 2 days earlier than the rest of Europe. Generally, North America and Japan are the last to get big studio releases now. Japan always gets theirs several months later. Strange has a 2017 release date in Japan.

Release dates make no sense!

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 7, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Don't reward those thieving Euros!

It not you, it France, mon ami

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Generally the greater EU. Apparently, this is a business decision that a lot of studios are jumping in on. Eastern Europe and Germany apparently have the highest piracy rates for English movies that are released first in North America. So, they just started releasing the movies in the E.U. first to avoid it.

France and Hong Kong are actually getting Dr. Strange 2 days earlier than the rest of Europe. Release dates make no sense!

Media appearances from the cast and director probably account for that. That's the entire reason why they have staggered release dates. (If it was just anti-piracy then a simultaneous worldwide release would be fine, anti-piracy is the reason the release schedule goes Europe first rather than US first)

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I sort of refuse to believe this is true, but...
The Booster Gold Movie Will Not Be Part of the DC Movie Universe

I can't believe, after their comics division has spent over three decades attempting to integrate (in increasingly forced and story/character crippling ways) one continuous overall universe/multiverse, to the point that there's been over four separate line-wide crossover events trying to sort out what is really for reals the canon of the DCU this time, they'd make the exact same narrative choice that led them into this mess in the first place with the DCEU.

And honestly, I'd be fine with a multiversal approach to the DCEU - if anything, a consistent multiverse more tonally fits the creative identity of DC - if I weren't absolutely loving certain a good decade or less from now we're gonna have _____ Crisis on ______ Earths movie that tries to tie everything together into a neat bow.

I mean, I'm still intensely skeptical a Booster Gold movie would ever loving happen, but making it non-DCEU over Marvel's approach (technically in-universe if you really loving give a poo poo but it's just a separate story; see also, Marvel's TV offerings) seems like an infinitely better plan overall, especially since I have a Bad Feeling DC will try to course correct if and when Booster Gold is successful.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Isn't that due more to how this Booster Gold project started as an extension of the CW shows? I don't think it was ever intended to be part of the BvS/Justice League cinematic universe.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Even then I don't understand why you wouldn't just go "This is in the DCEU but, because it's a time travelling comedy, Booster Gold ends up inexplicably not meeting anyone or anything related to the main product." Basically just Deadpool it. Then if it's successful, boom, Booster can suddenly timewalk his way into the middle of Batman and Superman punching each other, and if it's not then he time travelled his way back to his home planet.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Can't wait for Booster Gold to become the Deadpool of the DCEU.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe they can get Ryan Reynolds

Popeahuntis
Apr 10, 2009

Marvel's (and several other studios) love of European early releases because they are the biggest piracy market makes me jealous. Don't reward those thieving Euros!

I have to put up with poo poo teeth, bad food and banana man being the greatest British super hero so it's the least charitable thing they can do

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Toxxupation posted:

I sort of refuse to believe this is true, but...
The Booster Gold Movie Will Not Be Part of the DC Movie Universe

I can't believe, after their comics division has spent over three decades attempting to integrate (in increasingly forced and story/character crippling ways) one continuous overall universe/multiverse, to the point that there's been over four separate line-wide crossover events trying to sort out what is really for reals the canon of the DCU this time, they'd make the exact same narrative choice that led them into this mess in the first place with the DCEU.

And honestly, I'd be fine with a multiversal approach to the DCEU - if anything, a consistent multiverse more tonally fits the creative identity of DC - if I weren't absolutely loving certain a good decade or less from now we're gonna have _____ Crisis on ______ Earths movie that tries to tie everything together into a neat bow.

I mean, I'm still intensely skeptical a Booster Gold movie would ever loving happen, but making it non-DCEU over Marvel's approach (technically in-universe if you really loving give a poo poo but it's just a separate story; see also, Marvel's TV offerings) seems like an infinitely better plan overall, especially since I have a Bad Feeling DC will try to course correct if and when Booster Gold is successful.

My favorite thing about this is they made Booster Gold in a moderately successful b-tier character and then poo poo the bed in regards to him. :allears:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

greatn posted:

Maybe they can get Ryan Reynolds

Makes sense, he played him before.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
A Crisis on Infinite Earths movie sounds like the best trainwreck possible for the DCEU. I would love to see Cavill play two Supermans who are both wooden assholes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They would be extraordinarily stupid if they didn't just do a Crisis on Infinite DCTV Earth and DCEU Earth. I mean, a CoIE movie is stupid in no small part because CoIE is a confusing loving mess of a comic that isn't very...good, and nearly-impossible to budget cinematically to impress the breathless scale that allowed the source material to sort of work in spite of itself, but that's how you'd do it.

And before you say "nobody know would know who the TV guys are", it would be infinitely less confusing to the average moviegoer than having all the actors pulling double duty as "basically the same guy but one's older".

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

A Crisis on Infinite Earths movie sounds like the best trainwreck possible for the DCEU. I would love to see Cavill play two Supermans who are both wooden assholes.

If that happened there's no way they don't get John Hamm to play older Superman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Does brandon routh play alt superman or the atom

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

He plays Evil Superman #3.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

SonicRulez posted:

Why would that movie need two alternate earths where Superman is Solomon Grundy?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

site posted:

He plays Steel.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

site posted:

Meet in the middle, make him Cyborg Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SonicRulez posted:

Meet in the middle, make him Cyborg Superman.

What about Dean Cain?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rhyno posted:

What about Dean Cain?

He plays Fleischer Superman, a la 60s cartoon spider-man in Spider-Verse

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Rhyno posted:

What about Dean Cain?
Too busy being in such hit films like "God's Not Dead"

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

He plays Fleischer Superman, a la 60s cartoon spider-man in Spider-Verse

The worst Superman as Fleischer Superman? Hell no.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I would rather watch him than Henry Cavill

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

We get it, you're wrong a lot.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

At least Dean Cain had red trunks!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Travis343 posted:

I would rather watch him than Henry Cavill

You can't possibly mean that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

X-O posted:

You can't possibly mean that.

I'm not saying he's a better actor but both of Cavill's performances have been bad and contained within bad movies. Am I the only one with decent memories of Lois & Clark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean Cain is easily the worst of the live action Supermen. From best to worst I'd rank them:

Christopher Reeve
George Reeves
Henry Cavill
Brandon Routh
Kirk Alyn
Dean Cain

I'm willing to bet Tyler Hoechlin will be better than Cain as well.

• Locked thread