Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't seen a single Stanley Kubrick flick but if he's brought up in conversation around me I take every opportunity to slag him off and I'll never go out my way to change things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Ramagamma posted:

I haven't seen a single Stanley Kubrick flick but if he's brought up in conversation around me I take every opportunity to slag him off and I'll never go out my way to change things.

I hate you, personally.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

Classic Ramagamma fail.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm sure that he and Hitchcock et all make good films that people enjoy but it's just not the sort of entertainment im after.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

I'm sure that he and Hitchcock et all make good films that people enjoy but it's just not the sort of entertainment im after.

You mean, movies

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Night and Fog

I give this, somehow, a ten out of ten. I can't really give it a ten out of ten because that's like giving the sun a ten out of ten. It's just there, immutable. To ascribe a numeric value to Night and Fog is to suggest that there's something about it that can be judged on a human scale, as if it can simply be criticized, or dismissed. It exists as the past exists, observable.

Holocaust films often have the issue of trying to balance entertainment with horror - should a film about the Holocaust be entertaining? Schindler's List, for example, is horrifyingly watchable, a pleasurable film that's engaging and fun, despite its content. Lanzmann's Shoah, on the other hand, takes the opposite tack by making a film about the investigation of the Holocaust grinding, almost displeasurable, which is a noble choice. Night and Fog rests squarely in a third category. It's sort of impassive (the soundtrack, which floats constantly under the narration, is almost totally anonymous), sort of poetic, and sort of horrifying. If it were longer, it wouldn't work, and its shortness makes it feel complete without being gaudy or offensive. Maybe its tastefulness could be criticized, but it's also, at least, consistent. You take it in in one unbroken sitting, one single chain of thought from beginning to end, like sitting down to observe Picasso's Guernica. It all comes at you at once.

It is not, of course, news. There's a certain shock in realizing that, as you watch it, you feel un-shocked. How Night and Fog be shocking? It's disquieting, to be sure, and the harsh reality of the documentary footage shot of the camps and prisoners (all that hair) is certainly impactful. But it's such a standard historical event that's neatly dissected in high school and packed away. Even the question at the end - is it really over? - feels ancient. Of course it's not. We know it's not. We're made to see exactly how it isn't and how it might never be every single day on the news, which merrily delivers missives of catastrophic horror every minute of every hour of every week. But the poetry of the narration, the gently hypnotizing score, and the quiet rhythms of Resnais's camera produce a kind of meditative state, and sometimes it's good to simply sit and think about these kinds of things, rather than having to weave them into our lives, which makes them feel normal and workaday. Horror that becomes unremarkable quickly becomes a mirror.

10/10

shame dome

1) Weekend - traffic jam

2) The River - Inspired Satyajit Ray? Something about India? i have no idea

3) Blind Chance - I need to fill up on my Kieslowski

4) Jubilee - gruel britannia

5) The Freshman - llarold hoyd

6) Valerie and her Week of Wonders - magical realism

7) A Brief History of Time - billions and billions

8) The Marriage of Maria Braun - more fassbinder

9) Frances Ha - recent rave

10) A Day In The Country - ah, this seems short

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection 9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot 8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are 7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10, Rashomon 9/10, The Godfather: Part II 10/10, La Dolce Vita 10/10, The Princess Bride 9/10, Bringing Up Baby 7/10, City Lights 9/10, Baraka 7/10, Au revior les enfants 8/10, Bonnie And Clyde 6.5, Hiroshima mon amour 8/10, Lost In Translation 10/10, The Piano 8/10, La Strada 7/10, Safety Last! 10/10 Vivre sa vie 9/10, Band Of Outsiders 8/10, Diary Of A Country Priest 7/10, Mommie Dearest 8/10, Once Upon A Time In The West 10/10, L'Atalante 7/10, All About My Mother 7/10, Shoot The Piano Player 8/10, Faces 10/10, The Passion Of Joan Of Arc 10/10, The Wild Bunch 6/10, Harold And Maude see my review, Pink Flamingos 8/10, Heat 10/10, Raising Arizona 7/10, L'Avventura 2/10, Atlantic City 9/10, The Magic Flute 9/10, Cleo From 5 To 7 9/10, Down By Law 10/10, Hoop Dreams 10/10, 2 or 3 Things I Know About Her ¿8/10?, La jetée 9/10, Night Of The Living Dead 9/10, Cool Hand Luke 6/10, Pather Panchali 10/10, The Terminator 6/10, The Trial 10/10, Exit Through The Gift Shop 10/10, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance 7/10, The Phantom Carriage 10/10, Au Hasard Balthazar 3/10, The African Queen 10/10, My Night At Maud's 10/10, The Testament Of Dr. Mabuse 10/10, La Haine 10/10, The Pianist 7/10, Four Lions A-, Scream A+, Ali: Fear Eats The Soul B-, The Naked City 7/10, Floating Weeds 9/10, Daisies 8/10, Stray Dog 8/10, Victim 6/10, Man Bites Dog 9/10, Night and Fog 10/10 (total: 107)

Jurgan gets Scenes from a Marriage. I request you watch the TV version, but the film version is good too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

1) Weekend - traffic jam

It really is tough to overstate how amazing that traffic jam scene is. You just have to see it I guess, and now you will!

I watched Sansho the Bailiff, which was heavier and more emotional that I was expecting. Mizoguchi's visual style is perfect for this kind of tragic story, and it worked equally well in Ugetsu. I get the feeling that Sansho the Bailiff takes place in the same world as the one of Ugetsu, where spirits of those who suffered can haunt the living. Regardless of whether there are literal ghosts or not, the dead haunt Mizoguchi's characters and their influence on events continues long after their death. Zushio isn't the best of the characters in this movie; he is very flawed, but he is the one who benefits from the lessons of others, and he carries them forward though very difficult circumstances. Having only seen two of his films so far, that seems to be a common theme with Mizoguchi's work; perseverance and survival through humanity and love, even beyond death.

The Insider: The subject matter of this movie never interested me, but by all accounts it has two powerhouse performances and its Michael Mann so I'm sure its good.

The Brood: I like everything I've seen from Cronenberg but I haven't seen anything from this earlier period of his career.

Cobra Verde: The reason I'm ashamed not to have seen this is because I'm a HUGE Herzog fan, Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo are two of my favorite films. Seems wrong that there are Herzog/Kinski collaborations I haven't seen yet.

Jamaica Inn - This is the Hitchcock slot for now, Jamaica Inn was made a year before my last pick, Foreign Correspondent.

La Dolce Vita - If this were on Hulu I'd have seen it a long time ago, but for some reason it isn't. I feel like I can't even fully appreciate 8 1/2 until I watch this.

The Long Voyage Home: Its John Ford, and its been on my Hulu queue for months. That is shameful.

Red Desert: I've never seen any Antonioni films in color. This seems like a good start, and then I'll eventually need to track down Blow Up.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Basebf555 posted:

The Insider: The subject matter of this movie never interested me, but by all accounts it has two powerhouse performances and its Michael Mann so I'm sure its good.

I wasn't necessarily going to watch my movie today, but seeing this on your list -- and your general reluctance to see it re: the subject matter -- made me jump in. I hope you enjoy.

I saw Tangerine, and while I likely wouldn't send it screaming to the top of my best of 2015 list, it certainly deserves the praise its received. Story-wise it's a bit messy and Alexandra (Mya Taylor) was by far the most interesting and complex character...so losing time to others was a bit of a let down at times. Sin-Dee's quest to find Chester was fairly repetitive and lost its luster for me. But when she finally finds him, hoo boy. The climax of the film in Donut Time is one of the best sequences in a movie from last year. Even if I didn't fully attach to the rest of the movie, though it was a stylistic gem with how it was filmed on modified iPhones, that 20 minutes or so was simultaneously awkwardly horrific and hilarious. It's a better screwball piece of comedy than the climax of Mistress America, which is a film I still don't understand the love it got. I'm glad I saw it, and I think it is insanely watchable at its quick and manic pace, that I may get more out of it upon multiple viewings.

LIST O SHAME

1)Walkabout - One from the outback. I know next to nothing about it, but cover art intrigued me.

2) Code Unknown - More Haneke. I love Juliette Binoche, too. Know nothing about it, but bought it blind when Criterion released it.

3) Paprika - Anime from the creator of Perfect Blue, which I was a fan of. Figured I should see another.

4) Cobra Verde - This Herzog/Kinski box set won't watch itself!

5) A Touch of Zen - It's so long, but apparently an absolute must-watch according to a friend of mine.

6) Shallow Grave - I know I started watching this like 10 years ago. I vaguely remember falling asleep and missing it.

7) Song of the Sea - Irish animation I've wanted to see since it was released. Just got added to Netflix!

8) You Can Count on Me - With Kenneth Lonergan's new film, Manchester by the Sea, playing at TIFF next month...I want to see his other films.

9) Breaking the Waves - Will it be another entry in Lars von Trier's ongoing series of soul crushers?

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev, Dersu Uzala, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Brewster McCloud, Blast of Silence, Ordet, Bringing Up Baby, Pather Panchali, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, A Streetcar Named Desire, Bride of Frankenstein, Three Colors: White, Three Colors: Red, Kuroneko, A Hard Day's Night, Marketa Lazarova, Tootsie, George Washington, Marnie, Amour, Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Duke of Burgundy, Volver, Day for Night, The Verdict, State of Siege, Dressed to Kill, Children of Paradise, Beauty and the Beast, Love Streams, The Skin I Live In, Tangerine(TOTAL: 191)

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Ratedargh, coming off of Last Year at Marienbad I think I'm obligated to pick Code Unknown for you.

friendo55 posted:

Power of Pecota, enjoy the great Last Year At Marienbad. I'll say no more than that - other than you seem excited to watch this more so than all the others on your list.

I was so excited it somehow took me four years to get around to watching it. The movie's such an experience, with what I'm sure were the best steely glowerers in the business, the insane geometric views and the manipulation of shadows, and the effect of the freezing background characters - I can't imagine what it was like for someone to see that in the theater in 1961. I feel like I'm generally pretty good at stepping back and not getting too hung up over specifics to wait for big-picture reveals, and of all things the game with the matchsticks absolutely threw me off my game. Obviously it had to be a solved game, but I fought myself not to turn it off and look the solution up. The second man had such a perfect hustler's presentation of the whole thing, and the scene towards the end where he's challenged and the rest of the guests are speculating about the secrets worked profoundly for me. What a trip.

1. Fitzcarraldo - I know this stars Klaus Kinski and a boat gets carried around. One of my friends had a very depressed literature professor who said this was his favorite movie.

2. The Holy Mountain - The only Jodorowsky I've seen was Santa Sangre (because it was on Netflix streaming) and from what I understand that was one of his most reserved and straightforward offerings, which is pretty insane.

3. The Double Life of Veronique - Someone recommended this to me in another thread a while ago and I never got around to seeing it. I really enjoyed the Three Colors trilogy but haven't been motivated to seek out any more Kieslowski.

4. The Battle of Algiers - I like reading through Criterion's celebrity top 10 lists, and I've never seen everything on any one person's list (mainly because people do stuff like pick every Eric Rohmer movie in one slot) - I'm going to round out Anthony Bourdain's list, currently missing 3. I'd be going into this one blind.

5. Army of Shadows - Part 2 of the "finish a Criterion top 10 list" - I've heard that this does amazing things establishing an atmosphere of suffocating fear, and that's right up my alley.

6. Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence - Part 3 of the "finish a Criterion top 10 list" - the relationship between P.O.W. camp authorities and prisoners is a pretty fascinating dynamic, I'd say it's pretty hard to mess up making that interesting (although The Railway Man did)

7. Blue Valentine - No movie's made me cry in a few years (The Skin I Live In is the last one I remember), let's see if this breaks the streak.

8. Marnie - I've seen ten Hitchcock movies and never been disappointed - this goes to the front of the line because of the amazing trailer and Tippi Hedren/Sean Connery co-headlining.

9. Safe - I think I first heard about this via a reference in an article about Morgellons syndrome. That was utterly terrifying and I've had it on my shortlist since.

10. Swimming with Sharks - I vaguely remember referring to something as a "Swimming with Sharks" situation before and felt kind of weird about it since I haven't actually seen it. vOv

De-shamed (41): Charade, Persona, The Sting, Double Indemnity, All About Eve, Inland Empire, Celine and Julie Go Boating, The Graduate, Bottle Rocket, Gone with the Wind, Three Colors: Red, Raging Bull, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Seven Samurai, Adam's Rib, Repulsion, Melancholia, Aguirre, The Wrath of God, Singin' In the Rain, O Brother, Where Art Thou?, Pan's Labyrinth, Notorious, A Fistful of Dollars, Little Dieter Needs to Fly, The Decameron, Intolerable Cruelty, The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, Miller's Crossing, Nashville, M, Rosemary's Baby, Alien: Resurrection, Boogie Nights, Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, Bringing Up Baby, The Magnificent Ambersons, Diabolique, Shock Corridor, Rififi, Brazil, Last Year at Marienbad

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

4. The Battle of Algiers - I like reading through Criterion's celebrity top 10 lists, and I've never seen everything on any one person's list (mainly because people do stuff like pick every Eric Rohmer movie in one slot) - I'm going to round out Anthony Bourdain's list, currently missing 3. I'd be going into this one blind.

See you in four years...or maybe sooner. Heh...

Leonard Part 6 - Bill Cosby stars in his own spoof of the James Bond franchise. It actually does have its absurdly funny moments but it's weighed down by long, LONG periods featuring dragged out gags and idle seemingly pointless chatter among minor characters.

Leonard must come out of retirement to save the world from vegetarians who are controlling animals to take over the world. :wtf: He also must win back his wife who he's lost due to his infidelities.

The highlights occur when Leonard wears this spying spacesuit and makes a fool of himself. There's also a ton of other silliness that I won't go into.

Another highlight was seeing Gloria Foster as the main villain. Everyone knows her as the original Oracle in the Matrix series.

The unrelenting advertisements are also distracting. I'm not someone who's 100% against products appearing in film but it's obnoxious here. Almost as bad as what was seen in the infamous Jack and Jill.

Also watched:

Shining Through - This was on my list for a long time and it's a little puzzling and perplexing that it ended up being voted the worst of 1992. As I draw closer to finishing this Golden Raspberry category I've noticed that time can heal and also distort the strengths/weaknesses of films. Sometimes, to their detriment, I think some of these films were released when there was a glut of similar ones out there. OTOH, as a film ages it can lose things as the zeitgeist it was released into disappears.

Anyway, Melanie Griffith plays Linda Voss who's one of the most overly confident characters I've seen lately. She speaks German so she's tasked with translation during the war but eventually pushes herself to become a spy. She also carries out an affair with her superior (Michael Douglas).

It covers spying during WWII and is unique in that it's from the feminine perspective as if the protagonist in Brief Encounter was a WWII spy.

The film is very genre fluid and traverses genres competently. It also has a lot of narration which some may find to be off-putting. I won't go into the spying too much but there are a lot of twists and surprises with characters that I thought worked well.

Procrastination (227 completed):

#208 Queen - IMDb CCL. 1/14/16

#209 The Hour of the Furnaces AKA La hora de los hornos - There are around a dozen films I've recommended ITT to someone that I haven't seen. This is one of them. 2/4/16

#229 Greed - I was futilely waiting for some hero to find the full original version somewhere but I'll throw in the towel at this juncture. 7/12/16

#231 Red Desert - Haven't heard much about this. 8/17/16

#232 The Beach - Been meaning to watch this. 8/17/16

new #233 Medicine Man - John McTiernan directed Predator, Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October in succession! That's a memorable triumvirate and this was his next film after those three. 8/23/16

new #234 Conan the Destroyer - :iiam: why I haven't watched this. Despite finding the first film memorable for many reasons I always put this one off. 8/23/16

James Bond versus Godzilla (21/58 completed):

Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Picture (32/39 completed):

1986 Under the Cherry Moon - Prince's directorial debut. 8/1/16

1984 Bolero - Bo Derek is back. 8/9/16

1983 The Lonely Lady - Not to be confused with The Lonely Guy (1984). 8/9/16

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Zogo, Random Number Generator says your next movie is Queen.

Gangs of New York was a very good film. Daniel Day-Lewis was very good as Bill The Butcher. I really liked the historical period. Growing up in New York, I never knew anything about the draft riots or battles between the immigrants and natives in New York. Also was very impressed with the costuming and scenery.

My List:
Wall Street - Greed is good, I hear.

Life of Pi - Something about a tiger on a boat

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

Reds - Don't know much about this movie.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart

Dodesukaden - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is one of my grandmothers favorite movies. I haven't seen it yet.

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

Dial M For Murder - More Hitchcock here.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala, Vertigo, Avatar, Gangs of New York

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 25, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Gangs of New York was a very good film. Daniel Day-Lewis was very good as Bill The Butcher. I really liked the historical period. Growing up in New York, I never knew anything about the draft riots or battles between the immigrants and natives in New York. Also was very impressed with the costuming and scenery.

It's a good movie, probably my favorite Scorsese, but be careful accepting it as historical. It takes some liberties, particularly with ships firing on New York, which probably never happened.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dmitri Russkie posted:

House of Wax - I've never seen a Vincent Price picture (except for Edward Scissorhands)

I've been going through a lot of his work lately, its all really good. If you enjoy House of Wax I'd recommend Masque of the Red Death and The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

I watched The Insider, and I'm predictably annoyed at myself for waiting this long to see it. I think because of the subject matter I felt like it wouldn't have the typical Michael Mann style, which turned out to be completely wrong. Almost every scene had some sort of Mann flourish to it, which is worth the price of admission alone.

Crowe really is a versatile actor, much moreso than he ever gets credit for, and this is Pacino doing the Pacino persona but hey that's not always a bad thing. I was also very pleasantly surprised by how good the supporting cast were. A lot of them had maybe four or five lines in the whole movie but they were able to sell the characters 100% even with so little screen time. I was especially impressed with Colm Feore. I had to look up his name of course, but I'd seen him do a nice job in a later season of 24, and he was really compelling in the few scenes he had here. Christopher Plummer was also excellent as Mike Wallace.

Credit to Mann for taking a story with very little traditional plot "action", and milking it for every drop of tension he possibly could. It really felt like a thriller, despite the fact that all the action takes place in the courtroom and the boardroom. In that regard its a very unique film.

Remaining List:

*NEW*Red Beard: This is the last collaboration of Kurosawa and Mifune. I guess its length is the only reason I haven't seen it before now, but that's a dumb reason when talking Kurosawa.

The Brood: I like everything I've seen from Cronenberg but I haven't seen anything from this earlier period of his career.

Cobra Verde: The reason I'm ashamed not to have seen this is because I'm a HUGE Herzog fan, Aguirre and Fitzcarraldo are two of my favorite films. Seems wrong that there are Herzog/Kinski collaborations I haven't seen yet.

Jamaica Inn - This is the Hitchcock slot for now, Jamaica Inn was made a year before my last pick, Foreign Correspondent.

La Dolce Vita - If this were on Hulu I'd have seen it a long time ago, but for some reason it isn't. I feel like I can't even fully appreciate 8 1/2 until I watch this.

The Long Voyage Home: Its John Ford, and its been on my Hulu queue for months. That is shameful.

Red Desert: I've never seen any Antonioni films in color. This seems like a good start, and then I'll eventually need to track down Blow Up.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Jurgan posted:

It's a good movie, probably my favorite Scorsese, but be careful accepting it as historical. It takes some liberties, particularly with ships firing on New York, which probably never happened.

I realize that. I took a look at some information after watching the movie. They mentioned how Bill the Butcher died a few years before the events of the movie. Also mentioned how Boss Tweed came to power mostly after the Civil War and that the fight between immigrants and natives happened decades before the draft riots.

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 10, 2016

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Basebf555 posted:

I think you can enjoy 8 1/2 without seeing La Dolce Vita, but hey...it's great. So watch it. Hell, watch em both! Also, super pleased that you enjoyed The Insider. It's one of my favourite Mann films and you're spot on about Crowe. For all his bullshit for his general, surly persona, he's a great actor when he really gets material to his talents. I was happily reminded of this by The Nice Guys this year. Really good straight man to Ryan Gosling's buffoonery.

Anyway, I watched Code Unknown. There are so many wonderful scenes here that it pains me that it doesn't entirely hold together. The post-credits sequence on the boulevard, after the charades, being filmed as all one take is so interesting and mesmerizing as the camera tracks along the street as the young teenage boy confronts his brother's girlfriend before getting into a conflict following a rude gesture toward a beggar. This sets off a chain reaction, and the film follows, more or less, the lives of the characters touched by this one tiny event. It's a series of ripples. Fascinating that the opening sequence is so mobile with the camera and the majority of the film that follows is a series of short scenes, often cut before any kind of resolution, where the camera stays very still. Many scenes feature the characters performing mundane tasks or living a small portion of their day, but it informs something that comes later.

The opening credits provide a subtitle to the effect of it being an incomplete series, which honestly comes off as a convenient way to dodge criticism that the film feels disjointed and sloppy. Even if it's on purpose, it misses its mark. It's not as heavy handed as an Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu film, but it also doesn't land its punches as precisely or effectively as it could. Despite this, it's an interesting and extremely relevant film because it deals heavily with culture clashes, deportation and poor immigrants within France. This was made 16 years ago and the broiling tension within France, or at least what we see in the news, even this week reflects just how present Code Unknown is. Interesting that one of its primary themes is the breakdown of communication, considering it has trouble communicating with clarity, which, of course, is Haneke's aim. Ambitious, but not altogether satisfying though I would recommend it.

LIST O SHAME

1)Walkabout - One from the outback. I know next to nothing about it, but cover art intrigued me.

2) The White Ribbon - It's taken me a long time to get into Haneke, but I want to keep going.

3) Paprika - Anime from the creator of Perfect Blue, which I was a fan of. Figured I should see another.

4) Cobra Verde - This Herzog/Kinski box set won't watch itself!

5) A Touch of Zen - It's so long, but apparently an absolute must-watch according to a friend of mine.

6) Shallow Grave - I know I started watching this like 10 years ago. I vaguely remember falling asleep and missing it.

7) Song of the Sea - Irish animation I've wanted to see since it was released. Just got added to Netflix!

8) You Can Count on Me - With Kenneth Lonergan's new film, Manchester by the Sea, playing at TIFF next month...I want to see his other films.

9) Breaking the Waves - Will it be another entry in Lars von Trier's ongoing series of soul crushers?

10) La Silence de La Mer - Jean Pierre Melville is excellent. I've liked everything I've seen.

SHAME BE GONE:Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain, Precious, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, The Rules of the Game, Frost/Nixon, All About Eve, Bronson, The Searchers, Bicycle Thieves, American Graffiti, A Christmas Story, The Phantom Carriage, The Changeling, Repulsion, Kagemusha, Irreversible, The Virgin Spring, The Red Shoes, Deconstructing Harry, Metropolis, Che, The Island of Lost Souls, Revanche, Black Moon, Stalker, Manhattan Murder Mystery, Badlands, The Long Goodbye, Crimes and Misdemeanors, The Apartment, All About My Mother, Tokyo Story, Chungking Express, This is Spinal Tap, On the Waterfront, Grave of the Fireflies, Rebecca, The Sweet Hereafter, Peeping Tom, Drunken Angel, Duck Soup, Key Largo, Witness for the Prosecution, The Lady From Shanghai, Haxan: Witchcraft Through the Ages, Safety Last!, King Kong, Anatomy of a Murder, In a Lonely Place, Safe, Bad Day at Black Rock, The General, The Magnificent Ambersons, Five Easy Pieces, Porco Rosso, Mystery Train, Rififi, The King of Comedy, The Straight Story, The Kid, The Passion of Joan of Arc, Carlos, Onibaba, It Happened One Night, Sherlock Jr., Lone Star, Foreign Correspondent, The Last Detail, Young Mr. Lincoln, Rope, Mr. Hulot's Holiday, The Man Who Laughs, Husbands and Wives, Reds, Sweet Smell of Success, Shadow of a Doubt, The Purple Rose of Cairo, The African Queen, The Lower Depths, Frankenstein, Broadcast News, La Strada, The Last Laugh, Stagecoach, Alexander Nevsky, Don't Look Now, Fish Tank, Steamboat Bill, Jr., Days of Heaven, The Killer, Nosferatu, The Naked Kiss, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Jules et Jim, Mon Oncle, Howl's Moving Castle, Y Tu Mama Tambien, A Night at the Opera, Berberian Sound Studio, The Natural, Kwaidan, The Color of Money, Fanny and Alexander, Repo Man, The Breakfast Club, The Passenger, The King of Marvin Gardens, The Goonies, Z, Ashes and Diamonds, L'Atalante, All Quiet on the Western Front, L'Age D'Or, The Earrings of Madame De..., La Notte, Europa, World on a Wire, Andrei Rublev, Dersu Uzala, Once Upon a Time in Anatolia, Brewster McCloud, Blast of Silence, Ordet, Bringing Up Baby, Pather Panchali, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, A Streetcar Named Desire, Bride of Frankenstein, Three Colors: White, Three Colors: Red, Kuroneko, A Hard Day's Night, Marketa Lazarova, Tootsie, George Washington, Marnie, Amour, Picnic at Hanging Rock, The Duke of Burgundy, Volver, Day for Night, The Verdict, State of Siege, Dressed to Kill, Children of Paradise, Beauty and the Beast, Love Streams, The Skin I Live In, Tangerine, Code Unknown(TOTAL: 192)

Ratedargh fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 26, 2016

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I really should watch shallow grave.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Ramagamma posted:

I really should watch shallow grave.

I agree, it's awesome!

(I'd officially recommend it to the previous poster but I've gotta watch Dressed to Kill first, soon folks. Video games.)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ratedargh posted:

Prepare to have your soul crushed into oblivion.

Queen - The worst nightmare for some is the prospect of being ditched immediately before ones wedding. That's what happens when Rani is ditched by her boyfriend Vijay. She spends some time grieving and sulking while her family and friends try to console her. Eventually she decides to go on her Paris honeymoon alone.

Rani slowly becomes some kind of *pseudo-libertine as she emerges from her very sheltered and conservative upbringing. She gets drunk and cavorts with prostitutes in Paris and Amsterdam and later shares a hostel room with three foreign boys and slowly learns to be carefree. There's a struggle as the foursome each have a different native tongue: French, Japanese, Russian and Hindi. Only broken English can unite them.

*I emphasize PSEUDO because basically the most daring thing she does is get drunk and later kisses her boss on the lips. Exceedingly tame for many these days and its kind of a tease as she never does anything quite insane and has to be dragged into each new milestone anyway.

I wasn't that invested in the segments where Vijay attempts to fix the relationship by chasing Rani all over the globe. He's kind of an afterthought after he emerges near the end of the film.

Side notes:

-Probably too many flashbacks to courting and Vijay doting over Rani.

-Lots of language/culture barrier humor as one could expect.

-Like many Indian films its strength is in its ability to effortlessly show sad moments interwoven with happier ones.

Procrastination (228 completed):

#209 The Hour of the Furnaces AKA La hora de los hornos - There are around a dozen films I've recommended ITT to someone that I haven't seen. This is one of them. 2/4/16

#229 Greed - I was futilely waiting for some hero to find the full original version somewhere but I'll throw in the towel at this juncture. 7/12/16

#233 Medicine Man - John McTiernan directed Predator, Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October in succession! That's a memorable triumvirate and this was his next film after those three. 8/23/16

#234 Conan the Destroyer - :iiam: why I haven't watched this. Despite finding the first film memorable for many reasons I always put this one off. 8/23/16

new #235 Communion - Continuing research for the upcoming alien invasion. 8/27/16

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I havnt seen a single Jonah Hill film except Wolf of Wall Street and War Dogs

GMEEOORH
Mar 12, 2012

Zogo posted:

#234 Conan the Destroyer
I was thinking antonioni, but nah, it's got to be Conan

Finally got around to watching Suspiria. Not too much going on terms of story or characters, but the visuals and music are fantastic. Really ended up enjoying this a hell of a lot more than the neon demon. Which goes for a lot of the same stuff, but ends up kinda borking itself with some really clumsy poo poo.

Man with a Movie Camera - Often shows up on lists of great films and everything about how it was made and how that's incorporated into the film sounds really interesting.

Thief - Other Mann movies I've seen were good, need to watch this one.

Nightcrawler - Didn't manage to see this in the cinema last year, but everything about it seems extremely my poo poo.

Chungking Express - I've only seen ''in the mood for love'' from Wong and I should change that.

Strange Days - Picked this up at a thrift store a year or so back and I've been close to watching it about a dozen times.

Spider - Went to a big Cronenberg exhibition last year and I've slowly been going through all his films. This one is next.

Elephant - I wonder what the chances are that this will be tragically relevant due to current events when it gets picked.

Tangerine - There was a lot of buzz about this last year and I've been meaning to watch it. Pretty pissed that I missed the first and only theatrical showing of this in Amsterdam last week.

The Passion of Joan of Arc - Looks intense.

Copie Conforme - Been meaning to watch this for a while. R.I.P. Abbas Kiarostami.

It Follows - Was a bit divisive, but most of the people I usually agree with seemed to really love it.

Bad Lieutenants - Both of them! I have them lying around. Make me watch them!

Watched /100 : The Night of the Hunter - 81, F for Fake - 78, Throne of Blood - 82, American Psycho - 58 , A Separation -89, Robocop - 80, Jaws - 73, E.T. - 81, Suspiria - 75

GMEEOORH fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 1, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GMEEOORH posted:

Nightcrawler - Didn't manage to see this in the cinema last year, but everything about it seems extremely my poo poo.

Enjoy. Nightcrawler is one of those movies where the lead performance just takes it to a whole new level that it wouldn't have reached otherwise. Gyllenhaal is pretty young but I'm not sure he will ever top this one, its a mesmerizing performance.

I watched La Dolce Vita, and wow, its probably my favorite Fellini so far. I saw 8 1/2 about a year ago, and I was worried that I wasn't fully appreciating it without having seen Fellini's first big hit, and as it turns out the opposite is true. I actually appreciate 8 1/2 even less now, because for me La Dolce Vita blew it out of the water. 8 1/2 has a lot going for it, sure, but La Dolce Vita is one of those films that just has it all. Fellini, from my fairly limited experience, seems to have had this ability to pack many different aspects of life into a single film. Amarcord was certainly like that, I'd be hard pressed to explain to someone just what these films are about, because really they are about everything. La Dolce Vita has a lot of that Italian upper-class malaise going on that Antonioni was so into, but then it goes even deeper than that and explores Marcello in a way that I felt Antonioni was never able to do with his characters.

Of course I haven't even mentioned the cinematography, which was absolutely stunning. Marcello never seems to stay in the same place for long, so its off to some new beautiful locale about every 10 minutes. Plazas and bistros and super high-class parties, and of course the women. There are many beautiful women in this movie, maybe more than any movie I've ever seen! That's an example of what I mean when I say the movie has everything. I feel like whatever my current mood, there's something in La Dolce Vita that will scratch that itch. Very few 3 hours films have flown by so fast, I really couldn't believe how short the movie felt considering the actual runtime. Highly, highly recommended, and I will probably be picking this up at the next Criterion sale.

Remaining list with one new entry:

Red Beard: This is the last collaboration of Kurosawa and Mifune. I guess its length is the only reason I haven't seen it before now, but that's a dumb reason when talking Kurosawa.

The Hitcher: I'm a huge horror fan so its pretty shameful that I haven't seen this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

Next one for you.

Conan the Destroyer - Conan is back and he's tasked by Queen Tarmis to go on a quest to find a key and then a jewel encrusted horn. This horn will awaken Dagoth "the Dream god" (Dagon reference)? He only agrees to do this because he's promised that Valeria (who died in the first film) will be resurrected. Princess Jehnna goes along as she's the only virginal creature capable of picking up the horn.

Conan fights off dozens of weaklings with swords easily but eventually struggles against some kind of gorilla in a red cape and a few wizards. So much of the film involves Conan gathering his war party and then shows him doing menial tasks e.g. opening heavy doors over and over. Not exactly riveting stuff.

Despite being betrayed a few times Conan eventually returns with the horn and the virgin in tow. But things go wrong as the virginal sacrifice is prevented and Dagoth awakes in a VERY angry mood. He turns from a statue into a giant angry fish that also has the power to summon lightning strikes. I'll let you guess who prevails.

Side notes:

-Way too many jokey scenes and quotations IMO.

-Conan isn't supposed to be a genius but he's really made out to be a fool a handful of times.

-The film ends with the possibility of a third film but don't hold your breath.

Procrastination (229 completed):

#233 Medicine Man - John McTiernan directed Predator, Die Hard and The Hunt for Red October in succession! That's a memorable triumvirate and this was his next film after those three. 8/23/16

#235 Communion - Continuing research for the upcoming alien invasion. 8/27/16

new #236 Demolition Man - Make me watch it. 9/2/16

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Zogo posted:

randomly decided on this one for you.. cheers! Enjoy.

The Man Who Knew Too Much
Another fun Hitchock/Stewart collaboration, but felt a bit too lengthy than it needed to be. There's a particularly climactic scene that was not the climax at all, but should've been. Doris Day is memorable here as Stewart's vocally-talented wife Jo McKenna, both due to her cheery wholesomeness [particularly in singing "Que sera, sera"], but also an unexpected range in a moment of sadness. Daniel Gelin is good as well as the mysterious Louis Bernard who we can never truly pinpoint whose side he's really on. Overall, a film well worth watching - but there's plenty Hitchcock I'd rank above this.

LIST
Charley Varrick [1973] - (2016.06.28) - decided to have a Walter Matthau selection, and this is one I've been meaning to see.

Dark Victory [1939] - (2016.05.29) - one of those films you don't hear discussed much, but a revisit of All About Eve makes me want more Bette Davis!

Drugstore Cowboy [1989] - (2016.06.23) - I'll replace one addiction movie with another, though I wonder if Matt Dillon can compare to Nic Cage.

Farewell My Concubine [1993] - (2016.04.13) - replacing with another long, foreign film that I won't watch unless told to here.

Gilda [1946] - (2015.11.27) - I'll replace an early Rita Hayworth film with her most iconic.

Love and Death [1975] - **NEW** (2016.09.01) - adding a Woody Allen film to continue my completion of his filmography.

Marketa Lazarova [1967] - (2016.05.05) - best place to put a lengthy acclaimed film... I'll keep putting it off otherwise! I sound like a broken record.

Mister Roberts [1955] - **OLDEST** (2015.10.24) - James Cagney, Henry Fonda, William Powell, and Jack Lemmon (in hs first Oscar-wining performance) ... mannn.

Nobody Knows [2004] - (2016.04.23) - a 2+hr Kore-eda film that would be my 3rd film of his. Long overdue.

Slacker [1991] - (2016.07.17) - want to keep Linklater films a presence here until I'm fully caught up. This is a gorgeous Criterion blind-buy sitting unwatched.

De-shamed Pt2: True Romance (4/5), The Right Stuff (3/5), Syndromes And A Century (4/5), Still Life (3/5), My Cousin Vinny (2.5/5), Doctor Zhivago (3.5/5), The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (4.5/5), Peeping Tom (4/5), Shadow of a Doubt (4.5/5), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (4.5/5), Only Angels Have Wings (4/5), Umberto D (4/5), Anatomy of a Murder (4.5/5), Only God Forgives (1.5/5), Missing (3.5/5), Howl's Moving Castle (4.5/5), Rio Bravo (4/5), Cloud Atlas (3.5/5), Children of Paradise (4/5), That Obscure Object of Desire (5/5), The Fountain (3/5), Malcolm X (4/5), Warrior (4/5), American Movie (4/5), Being There (4/5), Leaving Las Vegas (4.5/5), Rope (4/5), Ed Wood (4.5/5), American Hustle (2.5/5), The Man Who Knew Too Much (3.5/5), [Total:130]

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

Friendo! Watch Mister Roberts so you can clear that off your list. Also because Jack Lemmon is a delight. God I can't wait for the day when I'm remotely familiar with any of the movies I recommend.

It's been almost three years since I last posted in this thread because I'm loving ridiculous, but I watched Blade Runner: The Final Cut as intructed! I really, really enjoyed it. Even though I'm a Star Wars nut, I sometimes question whether or not Harrison Ford is really that good of an actor, but he was fantastic here. The movie looked loving phenomenal with its sci-fi/noir aesthetic and I was pretty glued to the screen the entire time. Also, I don't know if I just missed poo poo (really deserves a rewatch) but I feel like the movie didn't hint that heavily at the question that everyone asked for years afterwards. Maybe the other edits offer more insight? I'm being intentionally vague as to not spoil anyone.

I've watched a few movies on my list since I last posted, so here's the stuff that's carried over and a few new selections. I was well-shamed (justifiably so) when I first posted in this thread because of the lack of movies I've seen, so it's going to be a while before I start adding more obscure films. Also, I'm going to use the last two slots to get through all the movies I actually own but have never seen.

1. The Odd Couple – I've never seen The Odd Couple for the same reason that I hadn't seen Apocalypse Now, Psycho, and countless other classics when I first came to this thread - because I was young and dumb and avoided older movies like the plague. I honestly think I'll get a kick out of it now that my tastes have matured. (old)

2. The Abyss – I’ve always wanted to see this, but I realize as I type this that I have no clue what it’s about. Still want to see it, though. (old)

3. The Towering Inferno – Disaster flicks are just rad. They’re so exciting! (old)

4. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly It took me forever to get around to Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More, only makes sense that I finish the trilogy and watch what's considered an all-time great. 9-6-16

5. The Wild Bunch – I love westerns and I've never seen a single Peckinpah. (old)

6. A Clockwork Orange - To be completely honest, I feel like maybe I've been putting this off because Kubrick just sort of goes over my head? I loving love The Shining and I really enjoyed 2001, but I feel like there's more to each that I'm not appreciating and maybe Clockwork Orange would be wasted on my caveman brain. I'll never know until I try, though. 9-6-16

7. Solaris - Friend tried to get me to watch this a while back and I never did! haha, take that, fucker! Seems like it would be up my alley though. 9-6-16

8. Lifeboat - I love, love, love Hitchcock, as well as "limited setting" movies. I'll probably always have a Hitchcock on this list.

9. Big Trouble in Little China – John Carpenter is my favorite filmmaker and I seriously love Kurt Russell and I am an idiot for not having seen this. 9-6-16

10. Dog Day Afternoon - I got a digital copy of this years ago through some Flixster/Facebook promotion and I've never watched it. I'm eager to see early Pacino before he became a parody of himself. 9-6-16

De-shamed: Apocalypse Now, Casablanca, Psycho, 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Princess Bride, Taxi Driver, Bullitt, Once Upon a Time in the West, Mad Max, Oldboy, Blade Runner, The Exorcist, Misery, The Raid: Redemption

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Big trouble in little China is a more entertaining film than anything Stanley Kubrick ever made.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Ramagamma posted:

-_-

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just to clarify i haven't seen a Kubrick film in its entirety, i tend to switch off boring films.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

Just to clarify i haven't seen a Kubrick film in its entirety, i tend to switch off boring films.

Joke's on you, nobody cares.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Joke's on you, nobody cares.

About Stanley Kubricks terrible movies for shut ins?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

About Stanley Kubricks terrible movies for shut ins?

Nobody cares what movies you like.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What about the ones i hate?

I've never seen any of the Godfathers either, the first one has a strong opening 20 minutes but after that i lost interest.

On the subject i made a text file on my pc maybe 2 month ago of films i really want to see but havnt got round to yet. Heres the full list

Mary Shellys Frankenstein
Interview with a Vampire
Bram Stokers Dracula
Kick rear end
Donnie Brasco
The Departed
A few good men
Hunt for red October
The Rock

Ramagamma fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 7, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

What about the ones i hate?

Well, in this thread people make a list of movies and then watch them. Feel free to do that and then explain why you hated the movie you watched.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Basebf555 posted:

Well, in this thread people make a list of movies and then watch them. Feel free to do that and then explain why you hated the movie you watched.

Any you'd recommend from the list above?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

If you want to hate a movie, your best shot is Frankenstein. Deniro was not very well suited for the role in my opinion.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Basebf555 posted:

If you want to hate a movie, your best shot is Frankenstein. Deniro was not very well suited for the role in my opinion.

I thought that movie was okay, you never know. I'm more of a Curse of Frankenstein guy though.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

You already have a list of nine. Pick a movie for the poster before you, and join us in what's happening. That would be preferable to taking dumb pot shots at a director.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Chili posted:

You already have a list of nine. Pick a movie for the poster before you, and join us in what's happening. That would be preferable to taking dumb pot shots at a director.

I already said Big Trouble in Little China

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

I already said Big Trouble in Little China

You make your pick while you post your list. You didn't do that so I'm guessing that poster didn't treat it as a pick.

This is all pretty clearly explained in the OP and it's really not that hard to do this the right way. It's literally the first thing in the OP:

Rush_shirt posted:

:siren: PLEASE READ THE RE-RE-RE-UPDATED RULES :siren:
HOW THIS WORKS

1. You PICK ONE (1) FILM THE PREVIOUS POSTER'S LIST for him/her to watch. They must now watch that film.
2. You POST AT MOST TEN (10) FILMS YOU ARE ASHAMED OF NEVER SEEING. Please also WRITE A SHORT ANECDOTE about each film and why you haven't seen it.
3. The next poster PICKS ONE (1) FILM FROM YOUR LIST for you to watch. You must now watch that film.
4. You watch the film picked for you, then WRITE A SHORT REVIEW.
5. You SWAP OUT THE FILM YOU JUST WATCHED WITH A NEW FILM, then POST YOUR NEW LIST Again, you must limit your list to at most TEN (10) FILMS.
6. You PICK ONE (1) FILM FROM THE PREVIOUS POSTER'S LIST for him/her to watch. They must now watch that film.
7. The next poster PICKS ONE (1) FILM FROM YOUR NEW LIST to watch. You must now watch that film. THE CYCLE CONTINUES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Not sure who I should recommend a movie for. Is it Sandwich Bender?

House of Wax was a very good movie. Vincent Price was phenomenal in the movie and appropriately creepy. I also liked his black humor when doing the tour of his museum. The music and the scenery were very impressive. Looking forward to seeing more of his movies.

My List:
Wall Street - Greed is good, I hear.

Life of Pi - Something about a tiger on a boat

Faust - Looking forward to another Murnau film.

Reds - Don't know much about this movie.

A Day at the Races - More Marx Brothers madness, please.

The Cat Returns - Need to see some more Studio Ghibli. Sequel to Whisper of the Heart

Dodesukaden - Starting to run out of Kurosawa films. What a great director.

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers - This is one of my grandmothers favorite movies. I haven't seen it yet.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - This was recommended by a friend who enjoys silent movies.

Dial M For Murder - More Hitchcock here.

Movies Seen: Seven Samurai, Dune, Singin' in the Rain, Animal Crackers, Once Upon a Time in the West, Amadeus, Double Indemnity, The Day the Earth Stood Still, 12 Angry Men, Ed Wood, Sunset Boulevard, The Dark Knight, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Brazil, Rashomon, Yojimbo, No Country For Old Men, There Will Be Blood, M, Duck Soup, The Princess and the Frog, Sanjuro, The Hidden Fortress, Dracula, It's a Wonderful Life, Lawrence of Arabia, Ikiru, High and Low, Frankenstein, The Mummy, Monty Python's The Meaning of Life, Kagemusha, Best In Show, Modern Times, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Red Beard, Monty Python's The Life of Brian, Cars, Cool Hand Luke, The Public Enemy, Time Bandits, Adaptation, The Producers, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Gone With The Wind, My Fair Lady, City Lights, A Christmas Carol(1951), Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, West Side Story, Caddyshack, My Neighbor Totoro, Throne of Blood, The Phantom of the Opera, Yellow Submarine, Little Caesar, The Third Man, The Godfather, Persepolis, The Godfather Part II, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Invisible Man, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Bridge on the River Kwai, A Beautiful Mind, The Kid, Fiddler on the Roof, The Gold Rush, Metropolis, Rear Window, Enter the Dragon, Horse Feathers, The Great Dictator, Despicable Me, The Bad Sleep Well, The Wolf Man, Nosferatu, Patton, Howl's Moving Castle, The King and I, The Man Who Knew Too Much, Kiki's Delivery Service, The King's Speech, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, The Graduate, Whisper of the Heart, The 39 Steps, Ran, Notorious, True Grit, North By Northwest, Rope, Dersu Uzala, Vertigo, Avatar, Gangs of New York,House of Wax

Dmitri Russkie fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 10, 2016