Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
kernel samepage sharing is really good at VM density. Running 6-8 VMs on 16GB of memory is 100% doable without breaking a sweat, mostly.

However, running ZFS on the same host is going to be a problem unless you really limit the ARC. Just because ZFS is a memory pig.

For VM v container, ask yourself "will I need to treat this like a real system regularly?" If no (plex, consul, redis, whatever), container. If yes (one nginx/apache server to rule them all, and you keep touching it to mess with SSL certs/vhosts/whatever), or it needs a lot of privileged stuff (virtual machines, zfs, whatever), VM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bhodi posted:

I've never used it, but packer is basically docker plus some ansible-esque configuration goo read from a config file and applied to the image during build-time; terraform is a manager tool by the same company and has plugins to manage infrastructure like DNS, network switches as well as the stuff you build with packer. It's an answer and they seem to do what was asked for, though not the tools I'd recommend.

There's no One True Way in this case, only a half-dozen different ways of varying effectiveness. If the software is installed every time the same way, just use docker and bake it into an image. Or use another product, chef can do it; puppet can do it with a little more work. Almost any tool that allows you to clone VMs can get you an image and then any configuration mangagement tool like chef/ansible/salt/puppet/whatever can do your modifications. What varies is if you prefer a push/pull and whether you want the server to be headless.
There's a lot of wrong and questionably-useful information here.

Packer is a tool for starting from some kind of machine base state, applying configurations, and producing a binary artifact. (Docker is one of those possible backends if you have a hate-boner for Dockerfiles for some reason, but that's the only relationship between the two.) The fundamental unit of production in Packer is the virtual machine -- VirtualBox, VMware Fusion/Workstation, EC2, Azure, etc. You spin up a virtual machine -- if you have R/W console access to it to send keystrokes, like through VirtualBox or VMware Fusion, you can start from a completely empty box and an ISO -- and then you apply your configurations to it and save it somewhere as a new image, potentially packaging it for Vagrant in the process.

Terraform is largely for interacting with API-driven cloud technologies and not random on-premises stuff (though there's no reason why it couldn't, architecturally), so if you want to manage DNS, it had better be through Route53 or CloudFlare or UltraDNS. It can manage virtual networks in OpenStack Neutron and it could conceivably do VMware NSX (it doesn't right now), but at this moment there is no technology in Terraform to manage a single vendor's physical switches. Ansible or Puppet are much better options for that if you have a supported switch.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

Packer is a tool for starting from some kind of machine base state, applying configurations, and producing a binary artifact. (Docker is one of those possible backends if you have a hate-boner for Dockerfiles for some reason, but that's the only relationship between the two.) The fundamental unit of production in Packer is the virtual machine -- VirtualBox, VMware Fusion/Workstation, EC2, Azure, etc. You spin up a virtual machine -- if you have R/W console access to it to send keystrokes, like through VirtualBox or VMware Fusion, you can start from a completely empty box and an ISO -- and then you apply your configurations to it and save it somewhere as a new image, potentially packaging it for Vagrant in the process.
This seems to be exactly what docker does, so I'm a bit confused here now. As I've said, I've never used it, and now I'm wondering why you ever would given there are other more common tools in that arena.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bhodi posted:

This seems to be exactly what docker does, so I'm a bit confused here now. As I've said, I've never used it, and now I'm wondering why you ever would given there are other more common tools in that arena.
Docker has nothing to do with producing virtual machine images. Docker is a highly opinionated toolset for producing container images and running instances of them.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Vulture Culture posted:

Docker has nothing to do with producing virtual machine images. Docker is a highly opinionated toolset for producing container images and running instances of them.
I guess I consider container images to be similar enough to binary artifacts to lump them together. I think we're splitting hairs at this point. You're right on opinionated, though!

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Bhodi posted:

I guess I consider container images to be similar enough to binary artifacts to lump them together. I think we're splitting hairs at this point. You're right on opinionated, though!

No splitting hairs, you're just wrong. Containers != VMs. VM Images != Containers in any way.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
VMware literally calls virtual machines containers

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Bhodi posted:

Think of it this way -- containers are glorified chroots. It's more complicated than that, but it's a simple enough distinction.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Bhodi posted:

No we don't. I work on the monitor team. We have never called a VM a container.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

DevNull posted:

No we don't. I work on the monitor team. We have never called a VM a container.
you call the vmx the container and it has a version and contains the vm, which is listed under virtual machines in vsphere

Why is everyone crawling out of the woodwork on this, it may have a specific definition in your mind but these terms get conflated all the time and honestly I ran out of "give a poo poo" about 5 years ago so let's say running things in things, ok?

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Bhodi posted:

you call the vmx the container and it has a version and contains the vm, which is listed under virtual machines in vsphere

Why is everyone crawling out of the woodwork on this, it may have a specific definition in your mind but these terms get conflated all the time and honestly I ran out of "give a poo poo" about 5 years ago so let's say running things in things, ok?

I have worked at VMware for 9 years and have never heard someone call the vmx a container. Everyone calls the vmx the VM. The version is hardware version, which exposes hardware capabilities to the guest OS and is going to be quite different from a contain version.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

If VMware called VMs containers then the new "VSphere Integrated Containers" product sure would be a confusing name.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It must be just us internally, then. Googling it brings up (non-vmware) hits so we probably aren't the only one. I'll stop the dumb derail and only refer to something as a container in the future if it shares kernel space with the host.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 6, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Take a deep breath and just let it go.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh hey what's this? Someone who has no business speccing up servers has ordered something to host VMs on and deployed it. Let's take a look!

Single quad-core Xeon E3-1xxx, 32GB RAM, running 6 VMs each with 4 vCPUs allocated :cool:. Let me know how you get on with that.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Frank, dude, Frank, have you seen the new hard drives? Holy poo poo one WDRed can hold 16gb"

"poo poo, Sam, pair of those in raid and she's good to go."

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can you assholes stop triggering the rest of the thread thanks

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Please stop :negative:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's good, economical hardware for a poor man's VM host? Something I can scour ebay for or something new, don't care. I'm not really familiar with PC hardware that isn't desktop-oriented.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Tell us which hypervisor mang

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Thermopyle posted:

What's good, economical hardware for a poor man's VM host? Something I can scour ebay for or something new, don't care. I'm not really familiar with PC hardware that isn't desktop-oriented.

Used Precision towers are a cheap way to get a xeon/ecc memory with at least some overlap on VMware's support matrix. Hyper-v will run on practically anything if you go that route.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

evil_bunnY posted:

Tell us which hypervisor mang

Well, I'm just experimenting right now. I've been using KVM recently on an ubuntu host. I'll probably stick with that for awhile.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
Dunno what your workload is, but you probably don't give a drat about ECC at home.

For KVM/Hyper-V lab hosts, I'd probably go with the cheapest Haswell+ box you can find with an i5/i7 as much memory as possible and a couple of SSDs (for a single host -- using networked storage is obviously better). For a "poor man's VM host" running in a lab (your house), desktop stuff is often preferable anyway, since it's quiet.

VPro/IPMI are nice if you can get them in a cheap/quiet platform. VPro also implies VT-d (generally) if you care.

An Optiplex 9020 with an i7 bumped to 32gb of memory and a couple of SSDs plus an extra dual port Intel NIC (if you care) will cost you less than $1000, and probably even less than that. Unless you have a specific need for some functionality or capacity, this is probably more than you'll use in a casual lab anyway.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
what are you trying to accomplish?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157616
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820011361

will probably run KVM and will almost certaintly run VMware. Any old case and power supply will do. At that point, just toss a little storage in it.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

adorai posted:

what are you trying to accomplish?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157616
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820011361

will probably run KVM and will almost certaintly run VMware. Any old case and power supply will do. At that point, just toss a little storage in it.

I talked a bit about it on the previous page, but 50% learning/experimenting, 50% making my home server better and more maintainable.

The biggest resource hog on my current server is ZFS with ~30TB of storage. There's the ongoing RAM usage of ARC and then some pretty intense usage during periodic scrubs. Also I do a bit of transcoding/streaming with Emby, so I'm a little hesitant about using a Kabini.

Because of the ton of hard drives, I probably need to stay with purchasing components to put in to my massive case rather than buying a prebuilt system. Of course, for the right price I can strip a prebuilt apart and shove it in my current case or turn my current case into an external drive enclosure...

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I use an i7 NUC with a big SSD in it for QEMU+KVM. Takes up slightly more room than my mouse on my desk. I wouldn't use it for a big farm of Windows servers, but it's fine for all my Linux/BSD/whatever stuff.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Is your case big enough to hold an SSI-EEB board? Transcode all the things like it's going out of style, and plenty of RAM for ZFS...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's an awful lot of energy draw though. On the flip side are single-socket boards with processors like the E3-1265L V3 running only 40-ish watts idle (I may or may not be partial to my supermicro uATX + 1265L v3 VMware lab).

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

That config idles at about 90W, and it's way more than twice the machine that single socket E3 is, so you'd really be coming out ahead on energy efficiency vs running two E3 boxes. That's an extra 1.2KWh per day (50W * 24H / 1000) and at $0.10/KWh that amounts to an extra $44/year to run it. It's insignificant if you aren't running a datacenter full of them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

drat your math! :bahgawd:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Real late to the game here, but just using the ESXi web client for the first time ever:

How does a product this bad ever get shipped by anyone? It takes days to figure out all the magical combinations of settings you're not allowed to change at the same time or it will just silently forget to apply them.

e: for gently caress's sake, never, ever try to change a portgroup on an existing vNIC and add a new vNIC at the same time or you're gonna be editing VMX files over SSH

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 9, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Just wait until you try to configure hardware passthrough in the web console :unsmigghh:

Or manage serial devices.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

You talking about the host web client or the VCenter web client?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NippleFloss posted:

You talking about the host web client or the VCenter web client?
The ESXi web client would have to be the former. Isn't it in beta/development/testing?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

anthonypants posted:

The ESXi web client would have to be the former. Isn't it in beta/development/testing?

No, it was a fling in 5.5 that is now included in 6. I've never had any issues with it, but then I don't have to do much in it other than occasionally power on a VM or connect to a VM console, since I use VCenter.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

It's fairly clear uncommon functions have not been fully implemented and tested yet.

I'd rather it was in this state than not out at all, though. Works fine for day to day management.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

With regards to hardware for a home lab slash server...

So, it looks like a used Xeon E5-2670 is a great deal. 8 cores at 2.6GHz for around 80 bucks.

The main problem is finding a motherboard for cheap to put the thing in. I'm kind of wanting ECC support, but AFAICT that means no X79 chipset mobos which means server-class motherboards which means $400+ dollars and a new power supply.

I don't really have to have ECC as I'm not a ZFS ECC alarmist for my usage like some, but it'd be nice.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas about a cheapish motherboard to put one of these in? Used or not, I don't really care.

Also, is there a better thread for this?

edit: Another question...how do I create a VM for Ubuntu 16.04 on a 14.04 host using virt-manager? In the OS Version selection it only goes up to 14.04...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 11, 2016

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Quoting myself:

SamDabbers posted:

Is your case big enough to hold an SSI-EEB board? Transcode all the things like it's going out of style, and plenty of RAM for ZFS...

Intel S2600CP2J motherboard, dual E5-2670s, and 128GB ECC RAM for $500.

Edit: I recently built this exact machine, and it's a beast for how little it cost.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 11, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

SamDabbers posted:

Quoting myself:

Intel S2600CP2J motherboard, dual E5-2670s, and 128GB ECC RAM for $500.

Well poo poo, I looked at that but missed that it included CPUs and RAM. Thanks.

I'll have to see what the PSU situation is like and also measure my case up, but I think it will work...

edit: For anyone else considering something similar here's a video modifying an ATX case to take an SSI-EEB motherboard.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

edit: Another question...how do I create a VM for Ubuntu 16.04 on a 14.04 host using virt-manager? In the OS Version selection it only goes up to 14.04...

Just install it, AFAIK it doesn't do anything special while creating a VM which is basically the same but a newer version.