Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Simple pattern recognition tells me that Civiliation 6 will follow in the footsteps of Civ 2 and Civ 4 by taking the concepts introduced in the previous game and refining them and being an even numbered entry in the series

Civilization 6 GOTY 2016. Book it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Vahakyla posted:

Speaking of expansion packs, was owning BNW and not GK an option, and if it was, wasn't that like, really weird, man?

If you bought BNW you got all of the GK mechanics in it, but you could only get the GK civs by buying GK.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I bought Civ V at launch and I was having fun. Thanks to the people in this thread I know now that I was wrong and I want those 200 hundred unfun wasted hours of my life back. :arghfist::saddowns:

Jeebus, it's fine, buy it whenever you like. :v:

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

No, I must have efficiency in my fun too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Looks like it's Norway today - this showed up on Japan's Steam News page for Civ VI.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Nice loving leader background.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I think that might be my favorite leader screen so far.

This game still needs an Askia equivalent though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So far what I've seen from the various videos I've seen is enough to convince me that I would have fun playing this and would therefore preorder it. Fortunately I still have six weeks to be convinced that this is a horrible decision.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I'm still curious about the system requirements.

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Norway's up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onb-hdjuNbU

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Wow the coastal raid ability looks really good at early game harrassment and getting ocean travel early will be strong in a continents map.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
What game was it that gave early era ships a weak melee unit that acts as a scout? I loved that, took a lot of the tedium out of having to send a specific scout unit to claim a goody hut.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Harold Hardrada gets "Thunderbolt of the north". His naval melee units can perform coastal raids, a sort of unique ranged pillaging action (the video depicts him raiding a science district for beakers, which I guess is the normal pillage yield). His unique unit is the Longship, a naval melee unit (so it gets the coastal raid too) that can heal in neutral waters.

Norway in general gets the old Polynesia bonus: once they research Shipbuilding, all units can traverse deep ocean. Also, there is no movement cost to embark/disembark. It gets a unique unit in the Berserker, who has their pillaging movement cost reduced by one, as well as an attacking bonus and a defending malus. Finally the can build a special temple that increases the faith districts adjacency bonus for forests, which IIRC is the weakest bonus for that district.

So: they can get a decent amount of faith from otherwise marginal lands, and expand across oceans earlier than other factions. Harald personally is a naval terror.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

i'm Party Hard Rod

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
OK that looks pretty cool, keen to give that a shot!

Leader - Harald Hardrada - Norway
National Ability - No cost to embarking or disembarking. Can enter deep waters upon researching shipbuilding, earlier than anyone else.
Leader Ability - Thunderbolt of the North - All melee naval ships can do coastal raids. Also gets the Longship unit, which heals in neutral territory.
Unique Unit - Berserker - Pillaging requires one less move, and bonuses to attack, but not as good defence.
Unique Infrastructure - Stave Church - All temple benefits, but an additional adjacency bonus to woods.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Trivia posted:

What game was it that gave early era ships a weak melee unit that acts as a scout? I loved that, took a lot of the tedium out of having to send a specific scout unit to claim a goody hut.

Civ Rev

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Trivia posted:

CIV Revolutions.

And yes, I'd love to have a weak landing party unit for that purpose- clearing vacant barbarian encampments and claiming goodies.

You could even delay embarkation research to force people to use boats for transportation across water early on.

E;f,b

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Live stream's over, they showed off some Norway and a new Island Plates map script, then Spain and religious combat.

Harald's agenda is that he wants the largest navy, but also respects other large navies. He dislikes those who ignore the naval game.

Seoul seen as a City-State.

Map pins!

Hogama fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 7, 2016

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
They switched over to Spain, now demonstrating the swanky new Map Pin system that lets you leave reminders to yourself in spots on the map.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It's so weird that most of the AI like people who are directly competing with them

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Casus Belli includes Liberation War, Protectorate War, Holy War and Reconquest War.

Continent Lens view.

THEOLOGICAL KOMBAT!

Philip's combat bonus against other religions includes Theological Combat.

Stockholm

Levies in action. You lose them early if you lose Suzerain status on a City-State.

Zones of Control do not extend over rivers.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 7, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

LightWarden posted:

They switched over to Spain, now demonstrating the swanky new Map Pin system that lets you leave reminders to yourself in spots on the map.

Finally I can build a settler without worrying about remembering where I wanted to put him before they finish building.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:lol: at that religious combat

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im glad for a real ignore option when npcs whine

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice
Holy Wars and religious combat :homebrew:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

It's so weird that most of the AI like people who are directly competing with them

Oh, I guess it's a new page so we're having this argument again.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Colossus built.

The menu option for the Time of Day visual system.

Missionaries are the base "just spreads religion" unit, Apostles are a stronger, more all-purpose unit with multiple abilities, and you have to use an Apostle to begin an Inquisition, but Inquisitors are very strong in your own borders (and so make a good defense against enemy Missionaries and Apostles).

Kandy and Amsterdam City-States.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 7, 2016

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Oh, I guess it's a new page so we're having this argument again.

Alpha Centauri. That's how we end the circular arguments, right? Just someone say Alpha Centauri?

All this stuff looks neat and makes me wish it was late October.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

No sometimes you have to say Endless Legend

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

Think of it more like respect or fear rather than like. It does make sense that Harald would rather have his navy go after navies that he doesn't fear, and that he'd prefer to be friendly with people who can be a naval threat.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

majormonotone posted:

No sometimes you have to say Endless Legend

IDK, I'm going to post a big thing about how civ iv was the best the game and how this game will be bad because it isn't civ iv, I feel like that's a valid move here.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hopefully they decide to switch back to doomstacks before the game is released next month, it might not be too late

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

IDK, I'm going to post a big thing about how civ iv was the best the game and how this game will be bad because it isn't civ iv, I feel like that's a valid move here.

That's what makes Civilization games so great, they have the flexibility to accommodate a wide range of bitching styles. No two thread cycles are ever the same.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Hopefully they decide to switch back to doomstacks before the game is released next month, it might not be too late

I'm unironically in favor for this but only if you get stackwiped when you lose a battle.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
While they work at putting it on their official Youtube channel, they did save the twitch replay this time.
https://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames/v/88118874

Actual streaming starts around 14 minutes in.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

LightWarden posted:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jay Rust posted:

You can combine units (up to 3 I think) into armies now. Just one more step away!

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

I'd have put that on one of the grasslands and maybe in a color other than Germany grey. Visibility is a good thing!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I noticed that some (promoted) units had unique names. I dunno if Ed Beach is the type to actually custom name all his dudes, but it would be cool if they came from some database of names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Religious victory seems like it would be easier than domination in most cases, wouldn't it? It's like domination with friends. If you've got some allies (especially Kongo) who follow your religion, all you need to do is to cripple all the other people who care about religion. Seems easier than taking everyone's capitals., even if in practice that meant you had to take every other holy site. I guess you'd have to do a lot of messing around with religious units after that conquest, which would require a lot of faith.

A country like Norway seems well set up for a religious victory, even though they only have one modest faith bonus, as their coastal raiding bonus and ability to embark really quick would help spread religion overseas and eliminate distant holy cities.

Conversely, a country like India seems not to have too much of a real bonus to winning a religious victory, as they have no special tools to kick the rear end of someone who has a religion and is actually using inquisitors, but they do seem like they'd be an especially difficult obstacle for anyone else who wants to win that way.

It's kind of an interesting dynamic. I don't dislike it.

StashAugustine posted:

Who does this besides Norway and Japan?

Both of those countries seem to be going for the idea that they respect strong rivals... but in fact it seems like a weird dynamic where they're more likely to go to war with people who are having trouble, making them opportunistic bullies. Edit: Actually Japan wouldn't go after people who suck in every way, just those who suck but still have a strong military (i.e. those that spend their limited resources on war to the exclusion of higher pursuits), which is the correct dynamic for a noble warrior. That makes a lot of sense. And of course the Vikings are assholes, that's no problem. Never mind. These guys make sense.

I'm not 100% sold on the leader personalities. They seem like a great idea, and I definitely value roleplay over gameplay (AI playing like humans trying to win is not what I want to see), but the execution seems like really gamey roleplay in some situations. Like you've got robotic "beep boop, you have met my fail conditions!" hatred rather than hatred that flows logically from an understandable motivation. It's really clear, which is good... but feels kind of hollow.

Does anyone else feel that way? I don't know how you'd fix that feeling, and I definitely like the direction they're going, but some of these scenarios in practice felt a bit off.

GrandpaPants posted:

I noticed that some (promoted) units had unique names. I dunno if Ed Beach is the type to actually custom name all his dudes, but it would be cool if they came from some database of names.
They actually showed that off at some point in a past livestream I think. There is a random name generator for promoted units if you don't want to name them yourself. Seems pretty neat.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 8, 2016