Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

App connectivity is fine and all, but there needs to be a way to set the temp directly on the device. It should stand on its own.

Sorry family, but there won't be any turkey this thanksgiving because I lost my phone :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
idk about everyone else but if i let me tap get to full temp its higher than 131f which makes using my anova substantially cheaper i imagine

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm starting another brisket tonight and i'm unsure where to go with the time temp.

I recently did one at 155 for ~36, and it came out really dry, but I also smoked it at an unknown temp for about 3+ hours. (i basically threw them on a smoker til they looked nice and barky. I used about 12 coals and 6 lumps of hardwood) It was still delicious though.

This one will have a gas grill and better temp control, and i'll still toss a few lumps of hardwood in to smoke finish it.

I'm torn on cooking it again at 155 for 24-36, dropping down to the Keni other option of 135 for ~60h, or doing a 48-60h at 140-145.

Anyone have thoughts? I'm going to go rub it down now either way.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I finished the cutout in the lid of my polycarbonate puddle tub today. I used a dremel.

First I used the Anova's holder as a template, I set it on the lid and marked the inner diameter with a felt pen. Then I drilled a hole in the middle of the mark and used a round "file" attachment for the dremel to saw through the pc near the edge of the marking. Finally I used a "grindstone" attachment for the last bit, then sanded down the edges with sandpaper so they are not sharp. Turns out PC is easy to work with and I am quite happy with the job, the Anova sits almost flush with maybe 1mm of play and I don't need to use the holder any more.

I apologize for the lovely cellphone pics.

The cutout:

With the Anova in it (not fully down yet so you can see the play is visible):

My setup when assembled:

edit: I also have the same tub in double the size, in case I ever want to make ribs or whatever. To make sure the Anova can handle the higher volume, I bought a huge styrofoam insulation box, like pizza services use. I will cut a hole in the pc tubs lid and maybe also the styrofoam lid next, though I think that's a bit much, if I use the tub inside the styrofoam box and only the lid is exposed it should be plenty of insulation. Or I might cut some cheaper styrofoam for a partial lid, as I don't want to ruin the rather expensive box.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 1, 2016

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've decided to go with 136 for 65 hours. That plus the crash, then the smoke, and then the rest should get me to a service time of about 7 pm.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hopper that rig looks loving dope

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Hopper posted:

I finished the cutout in the lid of my polycarbonate puddle tub today....

Looks good, but you may want to cut it so that you can take the lid off without taking everything out of the water. It's not as clean but sometimes you want to be able to add or remove things easily.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

namaste faggots posted:

Hopper that rig looks loving dope

Thanks, but it is really just a standard issue restaurant container called GN 1/2, 200mm height version. GN is a standard for restaurant container sizes. Cost me something like 15€ including lid, you can order them from basically any online restaurant business here in Germany (or amazon/sous vide stores where you pay a huge premium because so is vide is the shirt right now).
And then the obligatory IKEA lid holder.

And yeah I thought about a larger cutout for accessibility. I have two of those lids, I might actually make the second one into a lid with a cutout for the entire Anova clip. Alternatively I could saw the lid in half with a very fine blade. The pc is sturdy enough, but it would leave a steam anyway.
However, for the large tub I would probably go this same way again as it is for long-term viddling, but I am thinking about a second cutout for a water refill opening for that to counter evaporation. I am not sure how to seal the refill hole though, maybe with one of these wine bottle plugs with a rubber lip you can buy.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 2, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How long will that beef i posted itt last if wrapped in cling film? I cooked it last monday but doubt i'll have eaten it all before tuesday

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hopper posted:

I am not sure how to seal the refill hole though, maybe with one of these wine bottle plugs with a rubber lip you can buy.

Rubber sink plugs come in many sizes too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Jose posted:

How long will that beef i posted itt last if wrapped in cling film? I cooked it last monday but doubt i'll have eaten it all before tuesday

I usually give cooked meat a week, but it can last longer than that. The nose knows. Give it a whiff - if it smells fine, it's fine. If it smells bad, toss it.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

I made a test batch of creme brulee similar to this today. But my recipe included milk and I did not warm the cream up and just mixed it all cold, was less effort and worked all the same. I also used muscovado sugar in the creme be cause I had some left.

Consistency was amazing, taste was great, I need to work on my sugar topping technique but this was the first time I used a torch.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Going to test it on the weekend, also without the tempering stuff. If I'm doing it sous vide, it's because I want it to be simple!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Was thinking about eggs, got an idea, anyone tried something like this?

Heat water to useful temp for smooshy egg yolks. Pop egg yolks directly into water instead of inside an egg (not recommended with circulators running, obv). After X minutes, scoop yolks.

This should give a lovely yellow yolk instead of having to break the egg and scoop the yolk out of the half-curdled white. Then use the yolk on top of asparagus or whatever. "Deconstructed bearnaise" would be fun, put a big slice of tarragon butter on top of steak, egg yolk on top of that. Or smooshy egg with some caviar or roe on blinis would be pretty swank.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

So i don't like the Serious Eats SV+smoked brisket.
The second coat of rub makes it way too salty and the cooking times are a bit too long (on the grill).
I've cooked it both 155 and 135 and was unhappy with the results.
Both were grill/smoked finished at the noted time/temp.
I may try it one more time with a far less aggressive grill/oven finish but as of right now I would not recommend the recipe as is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

toplitzin posted:

The second coat of rub makes it way too salty and the cooking times are a bit too long (on the grill).
I may try it one more time with a far less aggressive grill/oven finish but as of right now I would not recommend the recipe as is.

Yeah the rub issue is the same for his pork butt recipe. Way too much rub, and far too salty. It was almost inedible. I also noticed that it was easy to dry out the pork at the time and tmep he recommended. I think for the pork butt he said smoke it for 90 minutes at 300.

I made it again this past weekend and cut the salt in half, and used far less of the rub than he calls for. I also smoked it for an hour at 250. The bark wasn't very dark, but still had decent texture, the smoke amount was just right, and the meat was plenty moist. Turned out fantastic. And the bag juice was like pure pork jello. I strained and defatted and chilled it. Here's a picture of a dollop of the jello-like bag juice on top of some pork I'm about to reheat.

I still have probably a pint of the pork jello. I'm trying to figure out how to use it. Soup dumplings, maybe?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I use a rub recipe that doesn't have salt in it (AmazingRibs.com's), and I sear it instead of smoking it to finish. If I wanted the properties of a smoked brisket, I'd smoke it on the grill. Since I'm doing sous vide, I'm owning up to the technique.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah the rub issue is the same for his pork butt recipe. Way too much rub, and far too salty. It was almost inedible. I also noticed that it was easy to dry out the pork at the time and tmep he recommended. I think for the pork butt he said smoke it for 90 minutes at 300.

I made it again this past weekend and cut the salt in half, and used far less of the rub than he calls for. I also smoked it for an hour at 250. The bark wasn't very dark, but still had decent texture, the smoke amount was just right, and the meat was plenty moist. Turned out fantastic. And the bag juice was like pure pork jello. I strained and defatted and chilled it. Here's a picture of a dollop of the jello-like bag juice on top of some pork I'm about to reheat.

I still have probably a pint of the pork jello. I'm trying to figure out how to use it. Soup dumplings, maybe?

I had thick bark that was impossible to cut in places, and the "smoke ring" was almost the entire thickness of the flat.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I was unhappy with Kenji's SVed ribs too.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I've tried a few of kenji's recipes that have too much salt. He has said before that he really likes salt a lot and his family often calls him out on it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, don't put salt in rubs.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bought a 1/2 gastronorm and a chamber vacuum sealer the other month and have vizzled every Sunday dinner this month, and some Saturdays.

Now considering getting a second anova so I can do both veg and meat at once.

The chamber vacuum is bigger than my microwave though, but is ace for sealing wet things. a+ would buy again, even if the other half is slightly annoyed by its size. And under £450.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

toplitzin posted:

My own experiences with SE sous vide have been hit or miss as well. Chicken, pork tenderloin and steak have been amazing. Everything else not so great.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I liked Kenji's SV pulled pork, but yeah, that guy really loving loves his salt. I thought I liked my food a little on the salt side until I tried cooking his recipes without adjusting.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I didn't use his rib rub, so I'm not weighing in on his salt levels, but the cook itself (temp/time) was no good for me for the ribs. It was a bummer to spend that much time on something that would've been better in the oven.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I haven't tried any of his recipes that include rubs yet but I read them and it seems all very salty. However, you can always exchange the rub for your own, the important part is in the temp and timing, not the kind of rub or seasoning you use.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Using the time and temp for his long cooks got me very dry and tough vizzles.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kenji's rib recipe says to cook at 165°F for 12 hours.

Chefsteps' rib recipe says to cook at 167°F for 4 hours, and Meathead Goldwyn of AmazingRibs.com has endorsed their ribs.

It's entirely possible that 12 hours is too long. Despite telling lots of newbies that you can't overcook when you sous vide, I've noticed a lot of times when I let a steak cook for eight hours or longer, even though it doesn't get the traditional overcooked dry texture it gets a different kind of overcooked dry texture.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
That's odd. Have you tried finding similar recipes on other sous vide sites? I'll stay away from his long-time stuff I guess.

efb....

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've done chefsteps' timing and I was pretty pleased with it.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I can't say I've found kenji's timing particularly accurate either. Did the brisket and pork loin the other day and they were both a lot dryer than I expected.

Still tasty, and I'm not sure what the benefit of making the bark in the oven did, other than drying it out further and making it look like it came off a real BBQ.

Could just be down to the poo poo-tier meat we get in UK supermarkets tho.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SMDFTB posted:

I've tried a few of kenji's recipes that have too much salt. He has said before that he really likes salt a lot and his family often calls him out on it.

This makes a LOT of sense. His fried chicken, for instance, needs the salt cut WAY down.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Steve Yun posted:

Kenji's rib recipe says to cook at 165°F for 12 hours.

Chefsteps' rib recipe says to cook at 167°F for 4 hours, and Meathead Goldwyn of AmazingRibs.com has endorsed their ribs.

It's entirely possible that 12 hours is too long. Despite telling lots of newbies that you can't overcook when you sous vide, I've noticed a lot of times when I let a steak cook for eight hours or longer, even though it doesn't get the traditional overcooked dry texture it gets a different kind of overcooked dry texture.

I've always done 160* for 12-18 hours with ribs and finish on the grill or under the broiler for a few minutes. They come out juicy and very tender (probably too tender) but I always have a marinade or a sauce in the bag with them rather than a dry rub like I'd do if I was smoking.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I dunno, I just have problems with his rubs. His timing has been really good so far, my pulled pork was juicy as gently caress.

On a sidenote, I have about a cup of leftover pork shoulder vizzle juices, what should I do with it?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I did a simple pork loin today, salt, pepper and garlic (actually salt and vitlökspeppar, if there are any Swedes around), 60C for 2 hours, then a quick fry. It was was amazing, served it with oven roasted pumpkin and veggies...

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Hopper posted:

I did a simple pork loin today, salt, pepper and garlic (actually salt and vitlökspeppar, if there are any Swedes around), 60C for 2 hours, then a quick fry. It was was amazing, served it with oven roasted pumpkin and veggies...

Unf, this just made me miss vitlökspeppar. I should get my sister to send me some.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It's amazing, whenever I go to see my sister I bring 2 for me and 3 for friends. We are all hooked on it.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

blixa posted:

Unf, this just made me miss vitlökspeppar. I should get my sister to send me some.

Hopper posted:

It's amazing, whenever I go to see my sister I bring 2 for me and 3 for friends. We are all hooked on it.

What IS it? All the Google results I could find cited it, but gave me no idea what it was beyond "Hey, it's a seasoning."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's just garlic pepper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

spankmeister posted:

It's just garlic pepper.

Gotcha. Cheers!