Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Right now is def the end of expansion lull, 3 weeks until Luclin unlocks and a ton of people will be a lot more active.
Lot of people banging out the last few levels on their alts since it's double exp weekend this weekend though, so whatever floats your boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nicehook
Dec 5, 2011
Double xp today and tomrrow. Velks is packed with lots of players and ENC are in high demand. If there was ever a time to push to 60 now is it! Luclin comes out in about 3 weeks, so there will be lots of new things to do again.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Doesn't look like I will be getting my old account back.

They keep asking for the same things (credit card stuff). As I didn't own a CC back then and had different people pay for me I can't answer that.
They say "none of the information I provided is correct"...

Tough luck. Guess I won't pick up the game as I don't want to create a new character. I know it's easy to do so but, well yeah I'm emotionally attached to my very first MMO character ...

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Evernoob posted:

Doesn't look like I will be getting my old account back.

They keep asking for the same things (credit card stuff). As I didn't own a CC back then and had different people pay for me I can't answer that.
They say "none of the information I provided is correct"...

Tough luck. Guess I won't pick up the game as I don't want to create a new character. I know it's easy to do so but, well yeah I'm emotionally attached to my very first MMO character ...
I ditched my Kunark-era Rogue for a new Monk when I re-subbed back in 2009, and I haven't regretted it. In your case, a Shaman is a really bad class for putzing around the older expansions and killing hoardes of trash and the odd boss, because they rely on dots and weak nukes, but what you need for mass killing is a melee class or a strong pet class. Bosses will also resist your spells.

Give it a shot with a new class, I recommend a Monk ;)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Pretty funny, as while I was playing I always considered my shaman to be the most badass class up to Planes of Power when it came to soloing mobs.
(Server first shaman to solo that one dragon in the Western Wastes, can't remember the name and server first to solo Lodizal or whatever that giant turtle was called - I afterwards gave the shell away to the guild that let me attempt it while they were still forming up)

Off course I always solo'd level appropriate stuff. I suppose you are talking about soloing raid dungeons/bosses below your level as quickly as possible without downtime. There indeed shaman would be a bad choice.

Maybe I should rather look into that new progression server if I decide to start over anyway. At least I won't feel like a newb because I still remember all content pre- PoP.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Pilsner posted:

I ditched my Kunark-era Rogue for a new Monk when I re-subbed back in 2009, and I haven't regretted it. In your case, a Shaman is a really bad class for putzing around the older expansions and killing hoardes of trash and the odd boss, because they rely on dots and weak nukes, but what you need for mass killing is a melee class or a strong pet class. Bosses will also resist your spells.

Give it a shot with a new class, I recommend a Monk ;)

shadowknight is good for this as well

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Evernoob posted:

Pretty funny, as while I was playing I always considered my shaman to be the most badass class up to Planes of Power when it came to soloing mobs.
(Server first shaman to solo that one dragon in the Western Wastes, can't remember the name and server first to solo Lodizal or whatever that giant turtle was called - I afterwards gave the shell away to the guild that let me attempt it while they were still forming up)

Off course I always solo'd level appropriate stuff. I suppose you are talking about soloing raid dungeons/bosses below your level as quickly as possible without downtime. There indeed shaman would be a bad choice.

Maybe I should rather look into that new progression server if I decide to start over anyway. At least I won't feel like a newb because I still remember all content pre- PoP.

Depends what you want to do really. Prog servers will definitely have a lot more people around than live servers but if you just want to take 2-3 months putzing around on a nostalgia trip and seeing what you missed (and then solo/molo'ing it) I'd level a monk or a SK on live.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Goddammit I'm back to 3 accounts again. On the upside, 1-55 on double xp weekend while the family was away on a mini end-of-summer vacation means I'll have a full stable of 60s for Luclin launch.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Stanos posted:

I'd level a monk or a SK on live.

So the reasons for SK and Monks beingthe kings of solo play in underleveled area's are
-Mellee damage not affected by mana regen, no downtime
-Lifedrains and Mend take care of regenerating the damage taken
-Good defense to mitigate/avoid 99% of all incoming damage
-Feign Death to quickly get deep into the dungeon without the Choo Choo
-Feign Death for when the poo poo hits the fan

Yeah, I can understand the reasoning behind that... any other reasons? (

PS : are the spell bars still limited to 8/9/10 skills memorized or did they go the full hotkey way eventually?

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Any goons in <EC Reclamation Project> on Phinigel?

Being a casual player just starting up I am always looking for /friends to group up with (25 Paladin) and they seemed to be fairly relaxed so I joined them.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
No mercenaries yet on phinigel, correct?
What about the increased regeneration buff?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Evernoob posted:

No mercenaries yet on phinigel, correct?
What about the increased regeneration buff?

Neither of those things yet. I assume both will become active with the proper expansion.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Ok thanks, that somewhat narrows down the class I would play.
But just a little time to Luclin there will be a surge of Beastlords I guess.

Breeze was also a Luclin addition if I remember correctly. Might make an enchanter. They're both capable solo and in group and to me are one of the strongest class archetypes in any MMO ever created.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I thought Breeze was a Kunark spell? I seem to recall buying it in Firiona Vie. That said, Enchanters are excellent at every point of the game (except maybe some point after Seeds of Destruction? I don't know, I rocked a bard at that point.)

The Erudite vendor in the EC tunnel also sold breeze at one point.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I think Breeze is Kunark era.

I can confirm it exists on P99 as well which is locked at Velious.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yeah breeze was a kunark thing.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

suuma posted:

I thought Breeze was a Kunark spell? I seem to recall buying it in Firiona Vie. That said, Enchanters are excellent at every point of the game (except maybe some point after Seeds of Destruction? I don't know, I rocked a bard at that point.)

The Erudite vendor in the EC tunnel also sold breeze at one point.

Enchanters are never unwanted, because of what the provide to others. Nearly every expansion they get an increase in their ability to make other people better.

Note that I said they're good cause they help others. Enchanters on their own are all but helpless after OoW until HoT because you can't reliably charm anything that's worth charming, and you don't get any notable damage increases. Also groups will start to thin out once Shamans get their slow-on-hit trigger buff in DoDH because you don't really need an enchanter then to reduce the incoming damage on multiple targets anymore.

You can however charm Hynids in Vxed and murder the zone, as long as you understand how to not die when the charm breaks and a naturally-SoW speed wolf with very bad things planned is coming after you.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Evernoob posted:

So the reasons for SK and Monks beingthe kings of solo play in underleveled area's are
-Mellee damage not affected by mana regen, no downtime
-Lifedrains and Mend take care of regenerating the damage taken
-Good defense to mitigate/avoid 99% of all incoming damage
-Feign Death to quickly get deep into the dungeon without the Choo Choo
-Feign Death for when the poo poo hits the fan

Yeah, I can understand the reasoning behind that... any other reasons? (

PS : are the spell bars still limited to 8/9/10 skills memorized or did they go the full hotkey way eventually?
Correct and correct. I am a little biased, but I would say Monk is the best class for this, because they float like a butterfly, sting like a bee, or rather, like a swarm of bees equipped with hammers. No mana, endless melee, and feign death is simply beyond godly for exploring and risk-taking. FD these days is so powerful and only fails maybe 1% of the time, so you can just sprint around as you please, even through extremely deadly areas, by "flopping" (run, FD, run, FD, run...).

Monks have decent (but not the best) defense and some of the most powerful up-front melee dps excluding spells. They also have Mend, which at the base heals 25% of your health with a 6-minute cooldown. Already at level 65 you will have the AA Critical Mend at level 6, which will make Mend heal 50% health approx. 84% of the time. From level 74 to 90 you can start training the AA Hasteded Mend, which decreases the Mend cooldown by 30 seconds per rank, of which there are 11. That's right, at level 90 you can heal 50% of your health every 30 seconds. It is crazy godly and so cool.

Monks also have some very nice disciplines and spells at higher levels. Two of them make you virtually invulnerable for 24 seconds, some make you do 2-3 times damage for a short while, a level 94 skill makes you dish out a single attack that can do 500,000 damage instantly, and so forth. Lots of buttons to press and toys to play with. You can also knockback and pull mobs towards you, mez, lull, shadowstep, and much more, all instant-cast for the most.

If you would prefer another class, here are some other suggestions:

* Shadow Knight: Stronger defense, much lower dps, some fun spells and utility, "swarming" (mass killing) ability at higher levels, also feign death.
* Ranger: About the same defense as Monk, lower dps which also requires some spell casting, lots of more utility, heals, snares, buffs, tracking. Pseudo-feign death only at very high levels
* Bard: Good defense and instant-memory blur spell, can escape and outrun anything. Low dps, will rely on mass swarming and some crappy melee. Tracking, tons of utility spells (songs).
* Magician: Weak defense of course, but the most powerful pet and decent nukes. Don't expect to use AoE spells to get rid of lots of mobs, you will draw immediate aggro and AoE spells aren't that powerful except against really low level mobs.

To be frank you can play any class and have fun putzing around non-cutting edge content, but I would strongly, strongly recommend picking a class with feign death of a sort, because it makes it so much more easy and fun to zoom around, and also pick a melee class so you don't have to deal with the cumbersome, archaic spell casting of EQ. Spells can be fun and awesome for sure, but in my opinion damage dealing with spells has always been a chore.

Regarding spell slots: You invest in AAs to increase your spell slots to 9 (level 55), 10 (75), 11 (80) and finally 12 (80). That's it. You can drag spell gems to hotbars, but they will change as you change your spell gems. The good thing is that swapping spells is really easy, you can now save spell sets and name them, so through a simple right-click menu you can load an entirely different set, for example one for buffing and one for battle. You will still sit down and quickly mem the spells so you can't do it instantly, but it's fast.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
You start getting a lot of AA abilities that free up your gems too. Like AA Invis and FD, ports/gates equivalents. You mostly just have a "I died, rebuff" spell set, a solo set and a group set

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012

Pilsner posted:

and also pick a melee class so you don't have to deal with the cumbersome, archaic spell casting of EQ. Spells can be fun and awesome for sure, but in my opinion damage dealing with spells has always been a chore.

Good post, but this made me giggle. Back then I hated EQ melee. Autoattack and go.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I've played until 2004 or so and my main was a rogue.

I never seem to hear much about them in 'modern' EQ terms so I am just curious - what are they like now, in the current state of things?

I know they are probably the worst for solo'ing but that's not news to me.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Ramulack posted:

I've played until 2004 or so and my main was a rogue.

I never seem to hear much about them in 'modern' EQ terms so I am just curious - what are they like now, in the current state of things?

I know they are probably the worst for solo'ing but that's not news to me.

They're group reliant because all of their damage is wrapped up in backstab. Attacking from any direction except behind is a massive DPS loss, and that puts them in the position of having to group with at least one other person, since you can't double merc to get a tank and a cleric with you.

The good news is, with AAs backstab does :stare: damage, and as far as I know, from Kunark to The Broken Mirror rogues are consistently in the top tier of DPS (classic they suffer from not having Ragebringer and Double Backstab to get them going). There's a few times they'll get overtaken by wizards, rangers, berserkers, or necros. They also get some utility in Shroud of Stealth, since they've been pretty good about not making lots of stuff that magically sees through that, and you can combine that with campfires to do some neat stuff to get groups by things.

They also revamped poisons in Underfoot-ish era and made them both A)not retarded to make (the components drop from random mobs instead of having to farm specific drops from specific mobs) and B)really powerful, especially in a raid setting where you can trade tallon/vallon with another rogue (they proc tallon poison, it makes the next vallon poison do 300% more damage and make the next tallon poison do more damage and the cycle continues).

Their gearing is a little more complicated than berserker (both need a really good mainhand, but rogue also needs at least a decent offhand) but its only one more slot, not reliant on multiple for focuses like wizards or rangers.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

They have really good sustain and burst at ~max level. There's almost always a disc to burn to up your DPS, then you're spamming backstabs, incursion and bleed dot. You get AA that procs on backstabs called massive strike
, It does a lot of damage and can proc off it self, so sometimes you get a whole combat window full of massive backstabs, is pretty cool.

But yeah like hoohah said they need group to do much worthwhile.
With assassinate and frontal backstabs you can kinda grind solo a little easier, but grouping is pretty much top XP for everyone besides maybe necromancer and shadow Knight.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Sep 8, 2016

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Is there an EQ discord channel by chance? Browsed the OP and last few pages but didn't see any mention.

I leveled some characters to 15 on FV and AB server. So i got the feel again of the game and the initial shock of the graphics is over. Now it's time to start committing :D

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

Evernoob posted:

Is there an EQ discord channel by chance? Browsed the OP and last few pages but didn't see any mention.

I leveled some characters to 15 on FV and AB server. So i got the feel again of the game and the initial shock of the graphics is over. Now it's time to start committing :D

There's a server wide chat for goons in client, /j serverwide.gchat:fygm and someone made a discord for phinigel the server on Reddit, but there's not a goon one to my knowledge.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Decided to try this again just for fun and got my Iksar Monk up to level 30. I'm used to WoW's leveling method of questing so it's definitely different to just beat on mobs the whole time. I admit it was neat to walk around Blightfire Moors and just explore the area. Is it worth doing the quests for neck, cloak, etc. pieces? There's a few quests in CR and BM both that reward level-appropriate pieces of gear that I'm told I won't get as Defiant gear. Also, it was scary as gently caress to run into Ursula while killing wolves.

I may end up subbing just to try out TLP servers too, especially if they're healthier population-wise.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

TheHoosier posted:

Decided to try this again just for fun and got my Iksar Monk up to level 30. I'm used to WoW's leveling method of questing so it's definitely different to just beat on mobs the whole time. I admit it was neat to walk around Blightfire Moors and just explore the area. Is it worth doing the quests for neck, cloak, etc. pieces? There's a few quests in CR and BM both that reward level-appropriate pieces of gear that I'm told I won't get as Defiant gear. Also, it was scary as gently caress to run into Ursula while killing wolves.

I may end up subbing just to try out TLP servers too, especially if they're healthier population-wise.
Those newbie quests aren't really worth it unless you just feel like doing them for fun. You will zoom through the levels, and with a mercenary you can do just fine with the scraps of gear you pick up along the way. It's quite rare to find Defiant pieces dropped that you can actually use since it has to be of the right type, level and slot, but you can scour the Bazaar occasionally for cheap pieces. Some nice people put up Defiant pieces for like 20-100p each sometimes.

I also recommend visiting old Classic zones (real Classic or Kunark for example) for fun, some of them are hot zones, the mobs are easy and plentiful, and Defiant drops equally as it does in newer zones. I've done dozens an dozens of levels in old school zones with a certain charm, such as Ocean of Tears, Howling Stones, Sebilis, Karnor's, South Karana, Mistmoore, City of Mist, you name it. Everything's possible with a merc and a little caution. :) You will also rake in the dough by collecting gems in the level 50+ dungeons, plus it's super cool to find old rare drops in the Kunark dungeons that you once dreamed about.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
I'm also working through the low levels, 25 Magician on the FV server at the moment.
I love the "gently caress yeah" feeling when you're grinding an exp spot and suddenly some halfling runs by and buffs you with Legacy of the Spike, health buff and Chloroplast.
That's 30 minutes of mad exp.

As this is the FV server and every loot is tradeable it is twink central ². Grouped with a lvl 20 paladin with some blade from Coirnav that procs a 350 damage AE with a 200y radius is pretty ammusing regarding pulling some unwanted attention.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Everquest got momentarily brilliant during Reign of Fear and had Partisan quests give huge amounts of experience. For some reason, they didn't continue that trend.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Thinking about poopsocking a cleric or enchanter on Phinny to raid and need a no bs opinion on how hard it'd be leveling up this late in the game, especially without knowing anyone else playing?

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
From what I've seen Phinny server is the completely opposite of the other servers : on the regular server people would rather multibox and play with their mercenaries that group with real people. It almost feels like if you ever get a group invite it's out of pity.

On the other hand on Phinny people don't mind inviting an extra player, and if you are a healer, tank or enchanter it's very easy to find groups.
As the level cap won't go up for the next 4 months people that are already 60 are also still leveling alts, so you can find groups in pretty much every level range if you are willing to travel (up to PoP druids and wizard teleport is still very valuable).

Community also seems to be very helpful and people are handing down old gear to newbies.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Raiding clerics are magical unicorns right now. We have exactly one that mains a cleric that wasn't initially a box for a monk or warrior who re-maimed because they were gearing up on alt bids faster than their main.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Groups can be had.

I logged on my 31 Paladin last night on Phinny and threw up /lfg on while debating whether I wanted to play or go to bed early as I was feeling quite tired.

While trying to figure this out I got a group invite to City of Mist within 20 seconds. I didn't even need to chat in any channels / look people up.

I never really had any issues not finding groups. I am only 31 because lately I rarely have time to play. It might be because tanks are limited supply during the time frame which I play, I am not sure.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Welp, I was in Solusek's Eye killing inferno goblins when apparently I went into the wrong neighborhood motherfucker. I got absolutely swarmed by a bunch of mecha-gnomes, conjurers, conjurer pets, and assorted other mobs. I don't know what the hell happened but it was pretty funny to be zerg-rushed by a bunch of gnomes out of nowhere

edit: How the hell did anyone raid in this game? The winding maze to Nagafen fits like one person max

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 16, 2016

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

you levitated over the lava through most of it I think

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

TheHoosier posted:

Welp, I was in Solusek's Eye killing inferno goblins when apparently I went into the wrong neighborhood motherfucker. I got absolutely swarmed by a bunch of mecha-gnomes, conjurers, conjurer pets, and assorted other mobs. I don't know what the hell happened but it was pretty funny to be zerg-rushed by a bunch of gnomes out of nowhere

edit: How the hell did anyone raid in this game? The winding maze to Nagafen fits like one person max
I only raided Naggy once so my memory is hazy, but basically the journey for the guild to the raid boss could easily take an hour. The guild leader would call "get to zone X!", and people would start organizing, gathering for teleports and running together. Some of the more travel-able classes could run alone, like people with SoW, invis or feign death. People in the middle of nowhere would spam /ooc looking for a teleport, and around the Velious days I remember usually offering a fairly generous 100p for a port near where I was going.

A notoriously nasty place to get to was Temple of Veeshan in Velious. People would get ports to Cobalt Scar, then you had to run/swim/lev to Siren's Grotto, and get through that nasty-rear end zone, with swarms of mobs tough enough to kill a level 60 that got caught by mobs, stunned, etc. Every time a raid for ToV was called, someone would die in SG or in Western Wastes. I had it easy since I was a Rogue with Jboots and such.

Sol B had fairly low level mobs, so I guess people just gathered to mow through them, then slowly worked their way through the spider areas and met up before the Fire Giants (long respawn). Permafrost must've been the same.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

i always thought people just used coh bots

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I enjoyed when people would ask my druid, with his known PK guild tag flying, for a teleport to Freeport or Faydark. "Sure" I'd say, and either teleport them to my guild mates ready to kill him or dump them in Cobalt Scar. Pretty sure that's the reason they added the confirmation dialogue later in the game. :)

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Just started a new character on Phinny... jeezus those first 10 levels solo is going to suck :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Started a cleric on phinny and lasted about an hour before giving up. I know they want you to be grouping with people and not soloing but at level 1 you don't really have much of a choice, especially if you're playing at non-peak time. Soloing a white con would give me 2-3%, after about an hour I wasn't even level 2. Plus looting everything and vendoring it didn't even give me enough plat to buy a single level 1 spell that I didn't start with.

Thought I'd look at other TLP servers and I was literally the only player on Vulak. Like not even /anon people, /who all only brought up me.

:sad: