Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

orcane posted:

Another case study for why listening to a video game community can be a really stupid loving idea. What is wrong with people...
Gamers delenda est.

:frontear: posted:

We’re not very interested in having minor delays just for the sake of appearances – if there’s to be a delay, it should try to be roughly appropriate to a bulk freighter’s ability: reasonably slow compared to an explorer type vessel, but able to reach any destination – eventually.
Developers delenda est also.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Voted, but it's pretty much a fools errand at this point. Never underestimate the grognards ability to spite himself for the sake of 'realism' :ohdear:
Yeah, I'm not sure why they went from "we're doing it the fun way" to "well you complained so now unless there's an overwhelming majority of a high turnout in favour of the fun way, you're getting poo poo for christmas" but they did and we're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

orcane posted:

Another case study for why listening to a video game community can be a really stupid loving idea. What is wrong with people...

It's not so much the "community" it's the zealots who actually bother to make 50 posts a day on the brown-sea. Those are the same people who are stuck in the 80s and bring up idiotic crap like "The Real Elite" never had this!

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Cheers for posting the voting link. I'm still happy with letting people who want a delay to wait on their own time, not mine.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
This is the first time I'm reading about this transfer thing and lmao it is exactly like the SRV fuel thing. People are so dumb and that FDev listens to them at all is hilarious.

So now instead of transferring your ship instantly you'll set up an transfer and then walk away from the game because that's more fun? I guess?

Sandro is such a weenie.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is he the guy in the weird clothes?

FileNotFound posted:

It's not so much the "community" it's the zealots who actually bother to make 50 posts a day on the brown-sea. Those are the same people who are stuck in the 80s and bring up idiotic crap like "The Real Elite" never had this!

Yeah but that's what I meant. If you listen to gaming "communities" you always get the opinion of overly invested idiots who have the time to shout the most and the loudest. That's what led to hilarious fuckups like Wildstar and devs should really know this by now unless they lived under a rock and just arrived in the internet age a few weeks ago.

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 7, 2016

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

timn posted:

From the OP of the thread that Chrysophylax linked:

quote:

We’ll run the poll until Monday next week. *Unless there is a significant, majority vote against ship transfer delivery times, along with a high turnout*, we will likely be moving towards implementing plausible delays into ship and module transfer, though such a change may affect when the features comes online. 

So even if instant wins the poll, they're still going to go with delays unless instant wins overwhelmingly? gently caress :frontear:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah that sounds like they surrendered to the :spergin: already, and just want to cover their asses. A majority vote against delays practically can't happen because the reason they backtracked has to be related to how many grognards pushed for delays in the first place, not sure where this significant majority vote is supposed to come from all of a sudden. Because I'm pretty sure normal people don't go to the brown sea.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

orcane posted:

Yeah that sounds like they surrendered to the :spergin: already, and just want to cover their asses. A majority vote against delays practically can't happen because the reason they backtracked has to be related to how many grognards pushed for delays in the first place, not sure where this significant majority vote is supposed to come from all of a sudden. Because I'm pretty sure normal people don't go to the brown sea.

Keep in mind the secret Kickstarter backer forum has the most influence out of the whole community. We can't even see the level of grognard they spew.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

The ridiculous logic goons come up with to rationalize why something doesn't go their way is always so hilarious to me. Keep up the good work everyone!

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Exactly. Not only is an important feature decided by a small fraction of the player base, it'll be decided on by idiots - or more acurately non-game designers. Why the gently caress would you let amateurs vote on game design instead of going to experts?

I can't find their live running poll numbers, so at least there's the faint hope they're keeping them secret then just announce that instant won overwhelmingly and put it in.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mike the TV posted:

Keep in mind the secret Kickstarter backer forum has the most influence out of the whole community. We can't even see the level of grognard they spew.

I didn't even know that :laffo:

When are we getting new community goals?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

orcane posted:

Well, the big informal poll on the forums was just about 50/50 between "little to no delay" and "lots of delay", so they already know that a significant majority coming down on either side is highly unlikely.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, the big informal poll on the forums was just about 50/50 between "little to no delay" and "lots of delay", so they already know that a significant majority coming down on either side is highly unlikely.

That poll was hosed from the start by multiple choice.

1800+ people voted for transfers to be in game.

2000+ voted for some variant of instant or delayed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

There are no words :cripes:

:stare: If my math isn't too far off, that would be a delay of about 6 days if you want to transfer something to Jaques' Station. 6 days! And I'm guessing the high costs for a super-transfer stay the same? Has some kind of alien madness-virus taken over :frontear:?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Frontier doesn't want you to play Elite obv.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Libluini posted:

:stare: If my math isn't too far off, that would be a delay of about 6 days if you want to transfer something to Jaques' Station. 6 days! And I'm guessing the high costs for a super-transfer stay the same? Has some kind of alien madness-virus taken over :frontear:?

quote:

I am an explorer at heart. 100 minutes is ridicilously small, given that my journey to BP and back took me about half a year. I don't want griefers at Jacques station hence:

- time to transfer a ship should be no less than one week
- if player dies in a ship he resurrects back at the original station before the ship was transferred.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

A brown sailor posted:

I realize that my vote counts for naught but I must have a token disagreement comment. 100 minute wait to bring my ship to across the bubble? If matter can be transported in a matter of minutes, what would be the logic behind transporting goods for profit, for example? No logic, such implementation would render it obsolete. It would only work for ships but not ore, you say? That opens another can of worms.

First the ridiculous random generators, now concepts that make no sense. What next? Flying dragons and hopping unicorns? I guess anything can be worked into "gameplay" now.

I'd feel stupid casting a vote for either option. Abstain.
:goonsay:

Pilchenstein fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 7, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I voted for delay. Have a good day.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

LCL-Dead posted:

I'm highly amused and disappointed that the "instant trasnfers will undermine the scale of the galaxy" bit made it into the considerations.

You can't send a ship to a place with no station.
You can't send a ship to a station with no ship yard.
You have to be there to request your ship be sent to you (no sending it ahead of you).

So how in the gently caress does that undermine the scale of the galaxy?

:iiam:/platitudes about Eve

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

I voted for delay. Have a good day.

Not surprising since you don't play the game/are a gigantic piece of poo poo. :allears:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not surprising since you don't play the game/are a gigantic piece of poo poo. :allears:

Nice meltdown.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

It isn't a meltdown when it's a statement of fact.

Go play in traffic.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
!addhostile knifegrab

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

it all depends on the length of the delays. It's dumb as hell to havy any wait at all but five minutes really isn't the end of the world.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

!addhostile knifegrab

Hand over all of your immediate transfer votes or be destroyed!

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Strategic Tea posted:

it all depends on the length of the delays. It's dumb as hell to havy any wait at all but five minutes really isn't the end of the world.

It's 5 minutes minimum, 100 for 300ly. If it were 5 minutes flat it'd be completely dumb but acceptable IMO.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Just for that stupid post I would rage race my Cutter to Jaques to slaughter this guy over and over again with my large lasers. Luckily for him by this time tomorrow I will have mellowed out and will still be ~15k light years away from Jaques.

In other news, I have thought about this a bit, voted against the delay and then told Frontier about what I think about their plans:

quote:

So transfer delay is only stopped if the vote is a massive landslide with high turnout against it? Why then even have the poll? I have to congratulate your guys for the utter contempt you're showing to a huge part of the player-base.

To explain what I mean, let's take the four arguments for a delay apart, one by one:

* Instant transfer is likely to have a less plausible/desirable explanation for how the feature works in game lore.
While I could live with the proposed transfer-time, since I'm an explorer and in almost all cases, far away from any station anyway, at some point we should remember that we're playing a video game, not a real-life simulator.

Having delayed transfers just because of lore is like inventing some convoluted element where we have to log in every couple hours to feed our pilots. Which is to say, absurd.

* Instant transfer will lessen the need to have decent frame shift drives in ships other than one, “main” explorer type vessel.
This is an argument I can just marvel at. So Frontier has given less then decent FSDs to most ships and because players rebel against this by using explorer-ships as taxis the players are at fault? How about raising the range of all ships instead, so people don't have to do this?

* Instant ship transfer will remove any potential game play from deciding when/if transfer should be initiated.
And this is actually an argument for instant ship transfers, because there shouldn't be any gameplay about this kind of thing, anyway. It's a convenience meant to make the game more fun and less tedious, why would you try to punish players by putting some extra hoops there for players to hop through? That's an almost sadistic approach to gameplay.

* Instant ship transfer undermines the scale of the galaxy.
And this finally isn't even an argument, it's a random jumble of words. We have the entire Milkyway with 400 billion stars in it and even if Frontier adds new stations as fast as we can, travel times will be weeks and months between those places. And if Frontier, like they have hinted to, plan to add a new type of FTL with longer range, they're undermining their own "argument". So what, are the people transfering our ships not allowed to use these future drives? I think I have to call this point Absurdism Squared, since just calling it "absurd" wouldn't give it enough honor.

In conclusion, I obviously voted against the delays and for instant transfers. It's the only logical choice.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Cool looks like I'm never gonna transfer a ship, because I can just get it myself at a fraction of the cost and time. Good job frontier, A+ effort on the game design.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Chrysophylax posted:

It's 5 minutes minimum, 100 for 300ly. If it were 5 minutes flat it'd be completely dumb but acceptable IMO.

What's dumb is that 100 for 300ly is longer than travel time there AND back.

I can get to Sothis which is 400ly away in 20 minutes in a Cutter.

They're literally making it ship transfer take LONGER than me hauling it by hand.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Did.. did we just get slapped in the face? :frontear:

Some grognard posted:

I'm still voting for the delay despite their specific proposal being over the top though, because it will be FAR easier to get them to nerf an overly long delay than it will be to get the instant gratification monkeys to let go of the instant transfer banana.

Is everyone on that board a jobless outcast with no family, schedules or commitments that can afford to twiddle their thumbs for 1 hour waiting for a ship to arrive? I mean, I (like most normal people I guess) have lots of poo poo to do, so most of the time I can't just wait around for my ship to arrive or log in, set up the move, log out and then come back 1 hour later. And yes, I mostly want to play a videogame to get instant gratification. I like fun, I want to play the game my way, if I want to just hop in my Asp and start an exploration trip or jump in my Vulture and shoot mans right now and not in 1 hour/tomorrow, why should I be called a monkey?

I actually think most of those people reasoning is something like "I keep all my ships somewhere, if I want to do poo poo somewhere else I'll move over everything and stay there for a couple weeks, then repeat the procedure", they don't even consider that someone could want to move to different places every day, and that it could actually add to the sense of scale of the galaxy because you'd be visiting different places all the time instead of seeing the same 5-6 systems over and over and over again like when you set up shop semi-permanently somewhere.

But hey I was a literal baby when the original Elite came out so what do I know. But I maintain that making the game online-only, cutting off any possibility of modding, is the worst thing :frontear: did

Edit: I'm gonna go ahead and say to myself, "nice meltdown"

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 7, 2016

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
So what ever happened with the "Give me drugs for the secret" guy and the "Give me brandy for the secret" guy? Where did they reveal their secret? Do they post on the forums? Is it sent in game somewhere? Was it sent only to a single person in a direct message? Am I supposed to find it on page 53 line 7 word 3 of my game manual? Why do they make a community event "Hey we're all on this awesome fun search for clues and we need the community to all pitch in to progress the story!" and then when the goal is reached there is just silence. It is like getting a quest in a traditional RPG and when you come back with 20x kobold ears off of 97x kobolds, the quest-giver takes your items and then just stands there with as blank a stare as if nothing preceded this moment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FileNotFound posted:

What's dumb is that 100 for 300ly is longer than travel time there AND back.

I can get to Sothis which is 400ly away in 20 minutes in a Cutter.

They're literally making it ship transfer take LONGER than me hauling it by hand.

There's a weirdo posting in the thread saying he would be OK with delay times upwards to 30min. per jump. Per jump. I'm not sure if that guy is insane or just trolling insanely hard.

TorakFade posted:

If they go through with this it'll be more like getting shot in the face.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

There's people asking if ships in transit can be pirated/destroyed :cripes:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Is everyone on that board a jobless outcast with no family, schedules or commitments that can afford to twiddle their thumbs for 1 hour waiting for a ship to arrive? I mean, I (like most normal people I guess) have lots of poo poo to do, so most of the time I can't just wait around for my ship to arrive or log in, set up the move, log out and then come back 1 hour later. And yes, I mostly want to play a videogame to get instant gratification. I like fun, I want to play the game my way, if I want to just hop in my Asp and start an exploration trip or jump in my Vulture and shoot mans right now and not in 1 hour/tomorrow, why should I be called a monkey?

I actually think most of those people reasoning is something like "I keep all my ships somewhere, if I want to do poo poo somewhere else I'll move over everything and stay there for a couple weeks, then repeat the procedure", they don't even consider that someone could want to move to different places every day, and that it could actually add to the sense of scale of the galaxy because you'd be visiting different places all the time instead of seeing the same 5-6 systems over and over and over again like when you set up shop semi-permanently somewhere.

But hey I was a literal baby when the original Elite came out so what do I know. But I maintain that making the game online-only, cutting off any possibility of modding, is the worst thing :frontear: did

Edit: I'm gonna go ahead and say to myself, "nice meltdown"

A lot of them really believe in this "it's the journey, not the destination" horseshit. For example, whenever an argument like this comes up, one of the really dedicated brown sea explorers will complain that when the game was kickstartered they hoped it would take several months to reach the center of the galaxy and expeditions to the other end of the galaxy would take literally a year or more, with the galaxy being so huge that it would be largely inaccessible to all except the most socially isolated dedicated. The fact that it turned out to be possible to reach Sag A* in just a few days was a huge disappointment for them, and they took it to mean that blind visionless hacks at Frontier dumbed it down for the filthy casuals who wanted arcade "pew pew" gameplay. And they take that resentment out on basically everything Frontier has ever done ever since.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dang

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Like, can it at least still happen offline? If I get a ship transfer and log off for the night will it still be in transit?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

frank.club posted:

Like, can it at least still happen offline? If I get a ship transfer and log off for the night will it still be in transit?

don't give the brown sea any ideas

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

frank.club posted:

It will only transfer the ship if you are actively mining an asteroid, otherwise the transfer of the ship is halted.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

This is giving me flash backs of Star Citizen threads where someone was seriously asking for the ability for pirates to 'capture' player pilots, hold them as slaves, and train regular slaves to be sex slaves which would sell for more than regular slaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

that thread is marvelous.

holy poo poo is this even real posted:

First of all, I don't think the decision of feature implementation should be on the actual devs (sorry Frontier devs ) who work on implementation or testing. Why? Because, devs and testers are usually clueless about how the product or service should look/feel like to the end user (again, sorry Frontier devs ).

Wait what?

quote:

On the other hand it shouldn't be a decision made by the community either. Why? Because, today's gaming community is made of people that want to go in, shoot or do whatever for 30 minutes, log out and make the game as easy and convinient as possible for them in the process. I don't blame them, that's the gameplay that suits most of the people and that most of the games publishers adopt because it gets them a larger chunk of the market (people). Long run, what makes the game 'easy and convinient' is what ultimately kills the game.

Well thanks for your consideration Mr Grognard but I'll have you know that what kills Elite for me is the endless grind and general inconvenience that I don't have the time to face, if I could have fun 30 minutes play sessions I'd play much more

quote:

Having said all this, I'm an Elite player since the 80s

Oooooh now I see

• Locked thread