Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

By your logic, Kissinger can't possibly have been a hawk, because he supported diplomacy with the USSR and China. The reality is, being a hawk doesn't require that you take a hawkish position on literally every issue.

No loving poo poo dumbass, but calling someone wanting to bomb someone more because they believe they aren't currently bombing them at all is hawkish as gently caress.

Majorian posted:

Are you under the impression that I think criticisms of Sanders and his campaign are invalid? Because if so, you haven't been reading my posts.

Get over yourself. That was about you not being able to take any criticism about Gabbard being a hawk. No one but you has brought up Sanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It was the best intelligence she had available to her, that's for sure. Mostly because W's administration actively lied to her and the other ninety-nine Senators.

That vote is absolutely a black mark on her record. Quite possibly the worst moment of her political career, although the infamous "superpredators" bullshit that everyone seems to have bought into in the early 90s is up there in terms of sheer number of lives destroyed.

If it was possible, she should have known better. But for a senator from New York State to vote against it? With the intelligence available to Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton at the time? After she personally leaned on W to get recovery funding for NYC that otherwise would not have happened? I don't think there's a realistic scenario where she doesn't vote yes there. It's a drat shame, but that's life.

Yea pretty much, it's probably her worst decision she's made (and, ya know, she agrees with us on that) but the context around it was a good bit different than 'Clinton lusts for Arab blood, war declared'.

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Good God people. I thought it was common knowledge that Hillary is a left leaning centrist. She's not a progressive except in the sense that America is so right wing that anybody even slightly left gets mistaken for progressive. But so what? Being a little more hawkish than the average liberal isn't some kind of indictment against her.

she's not, though. Like, I can say 'man I thought it was common knowledge that WorldsStrongestNerd fucks goats' but that doesn't actually make it true, that just makes me an idiot who has nothing to actually lean on other than 'heh, this is common knowledge, how can you not agree :smug:'

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Good God people. I thought it was common knowledge that Hillary is a left leaning centrist. She's not a progressive except in the sense that America is so right wing that anybody even slightly left gets mistaken for progressive. But so what? Being a little more hawkish than the average liberal isn't some kind of indictment against her.

Common knowledge requires evidence, you keep saying it's true doesn't make it true. One vote on Iraq that she did for the express purpose of getting funding for 9/11 repairs and has since regretting does not invalidate her 25+ years of progressive policies. I've never seen a politician projected on so much, like earlier someone said that her Senate voting record was centrist but did not provide a single example, hell her senate votes lined up with Bernie Sanders like 90% of the time.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

but she wants us to bomb them MORE, that's the point.

Judging from what she said, it looks to me like she was under the impression that the U.S. isn't bombing al-Nusra at all - thus my calling her uninformed.

I mean, you're right, "we should be bombing al-Nusra" is automatically a more hawkish position than "we should not be bombing al-Nusra." But I think that's kind of offset by the fact that she opposed the entire intervention in the first place.

:agreed: The problem is, folks here can't even say that much without the zoux crowd exploding into a frothing rage.

socialsecurity posted:

Common knowledge requires evidence, you keep saying it's true doesn't make it true. One vote on Iraq that she did for the express purpose of getting funding for 9/11 repairs and has since regretting does not invalidate her 25+ years of progressive policies.

No, but when you add stuff like the Honduras coup, the Libya intervention, her relative inflexibility with regard to Iran's nuclear program, etc, it does paint the picture of someone who's maybe a little too comfortable with the use of U.S. hard power.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Straight up promising to create fewer jobs by just hiring fewer, cheaper replacements for outgoing employees. Truly the businessman we need to run this country.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

America is so right wing that anybody even slightly left gets mistaken for progressive.

This is also a strange sentiment that hasn't really been grounded in reality for a while.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i like how we are going to simultaneously increase and decrease the military budget

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

That Old Tree posted:

Straight up promising to create fewer jobs by just hiring fewer, cheaper replacements for outgoing employees. Truly the businessman we need to run this country.

I really, really hope there was at least one person in that crowd that started cheering at "responsible workforce attrition" and then had a record scratch moment.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

"Common sense reforms that reduce government waste" is such a bs line that the right always uses when they want to make big promises without raising taxes. I have never once seen it work.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Whose "common knowledge" are we talking about, because on the right it's common knowledge that she's a lesbian commie who wants to take all of the guns and tax your taxes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

Judging from what she said, it looks to me like she was under the impression that the U.S. isn't bombing al-Nusra at all - thus my calling her uninformed.

I mean, you're right, "we should be bombing al-Nusra" is automatically a more hawkish position than "we should not be bombing al-Nusra." But I think that's kind of offset by the fact that she opposed the entire intervention in the first place.

:agreed: The problem is, folks here can't even say that much without the zoux crowd exploding into a frothing rage.

No, but when you add stuff like the Honduras coup, the Libya intervention, her relative inflexibility with regard to Iran's nuclear program, etc, it does paint the picture of someone who's maybe a little too comfortable with the use of U.S. hard power.

She wanted more bombings, she's very informed about what's happening, she wasn't uninformed she was lying, you know, like everyone else in her position who says 'we're not bombing ISIS' does, do you think all of them are just unifmormed too? Like, do you think someone whispered 'actually we have been bombing' and she went 'oh noooo but I just said we aren't. Oh I better get back up and apologize because that looks really bad' or what?

Also how does Honduras make Hillary a 'hawk', should we have...stopped the coup?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hollismason posted:

Has this been discussed at all?

http://www.startribune.com/danny-heinrich-confesses-to-abducting-and-killing-jacob-wetterling/392438361/

It's overall just horrifyingly depressing, however he may stay in custody forever because of some sort of predator law that allows imprisonment past the time served?

These laws are becoming more and more commmon and just in general it's a very unusual law to have ,but I haven't found anyone challenging it.

Civil confinement like this was upheld by the Supreme Court about 20 years ago, Kansas v Hendricks

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

No loving poo poo dumbass,

Don't do this. I'm being respectful of your argument; there's no need for you to make personal attacks.

quote:

but calling someone wanting to bomb someone more because they believe they aren't currently bombing them at all is hawkish as gently caress.

I just admitted it was a hawkish position. Again, I think it's at least partially offset by the fact that she opposed the intervention in the first place, combined with the fact that she doesn't have a long pattern of supporting U.S. interventions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^She didn't oppose it first! She said 'we need to do more' and THEN when we started doing more she 'opposed' it because she's a loving coward

socialsecurity posted:

"Common sense reforms that reduce government waste" is such a bs line that the right always uses when they want to make big promises without raising taxes. I have never once seen it work.

haha I just realized on the same page we're making fun of Trump saying that stupid line we have a 'progressive' talking about how it's just common knowledge that everyone actually agrees with him.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Majorian posted:

So Obama's a hawk now?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
If Hillary isn't a hawk then why did she eat my dog?

Edit:

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So Obama's a hawk now?

Obama's definitely a hawk see my post above.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

she was hungry and your dog wandered into her hunting grounds, this is on you man :colbert:

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i like how we are going to simultaneously increase and decrease the military budget

Fire all of Are Troops so that we can pay more for 350 battleships that make the H44 design study look modest.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

quote:

I will ask that savings be accomplished through common sense reforms that eliminate government waste and budget gimmicks and that protect, absolutely protect hard earned benefits for Americans

So he wants to eliminate waste and gimmicks that protect benefits for Americans?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

You dork she's an owl not a hawk

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Why the gently caress does it matter if Hillary isn't a 'progressive' by other nations standards? Where Hillary would fall into German or UK politics really doesn't matter, what matters is where she stands within to American politics, which is left. She's not a centrist in the context of politics today.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

She wanted more bombings, she's very informed about what's happening, she wasn't uninformed she was lying

I don't know how you could possibly ascertain that. Are you under the impression that all members of Congress are well-informed all the time? If so, let me introduce you to a guy named Louie Gohmert.

In any case, my point was not to defend Tulsi Gabbard. I think she's maybe not the brightest person, and her position on bombing al-Nusra was wrong, as I've acknowledged. My point in this discussion is to show that there is basis for calling Clinton's foreign policy hawkish.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

So Obama's a hawk now?

It depends on where you put the bar, but he definitely has some hawkish positions. I don't think it's unfair to say that Clinton is more hawkish than he is.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I really feel the candidate proposing a massive new entitlement program granting everyone free college, massive increases in immigration, tough new environmental regulations, a continued effort to normalize relations with Cuba and Iran, and continued growth of the welfare state is, at best, a "centrist" ~ An Idiot.

Majorian posted:

It depends on where you put the bar, but he definitely has some hawkish positions. I don't think it's unfair to say that Clinton is more hawkish than he is.

But by any other objective measure she is far less hawkish, and far more likely to engage in diplomacy than, you know the entire Republican party, and a good deal of her own party.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

I don't know how you could possibly ascertain that. Are you under the impression that all members of Congress are well-informed all the time? If so, let me introduce you to a guy named Louie Gohmert.

In any case, my point was not to defend Tulsi Gabbard. I think she's maybe not the brightest person, and her position on bombing al-Nusra was wrong, as I've acknowledged. My point in this discussion is to show that there is basis for calling Clinton's foreign policy hawkish.

but there isn't, and you absolutely were defending her with that stupid rear end 'no no she's just incredibly stupid not lying' defense. You're just doing the thing you always do where you make poo poo up and then get called on it and go 'well it doesn't matter anyway I wasn't REALLY talking about that'.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

sarmhan posted:

Why the gently caress does it matter if Hillary isn't a 'progressive' by other nations standards? Where Hillary would fall into German or UK politics really doesn't matter, what matters is where she stands within to American politics, which is left. She's not a centrist in the context of politics today.

it's really important to split these hairs so i can argue with goons about how wrong everyone but me is

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

^^She didn't oppose it first! She said 'we need to do more' and THEN when we started doing more she 'opposed' it because she's a loving coward

I just posted an op-ed from her from 2013 in which she flat-out says intervention is a bad idea, two years before her al-Nusra comments.:psyduck:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

but there isn't, and you absolutely were defending her with that stupid rear end 'no no she's just incredibly stupid not lying' defense. You're just doing the thing you always do where you make poo poo up and then get called on it and go 'well it doesn't matter anyway I wasn't REALLY talking about that'.

Except I'm not making poo poo up. I've actually substantiated my argument pretty clearly.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!
Honestly, if there are still people who think that there are tons of "common sense" reforms left after 30+ years of budget and tax cuts and that line being hauled out every election, they must be ripe for con arti...

...oh.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Edit:

Obama's definitely a hawk see my post above.

Only a lovely dog gets eaten by a hawk.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Majorian posted:

I just posted an op-ed from her from 2013 in which she flat-out says intervention is a bad idea, two years before her al-Nusra comments.:psyduck:

Except I'm not making poo poo up. I've actually substantiated my argument pretty clearly.

and before that she was handwringing about how oh that darn Obama why won't he get SERIOUS about the war on terror.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

Don't do this. I'm being respectful of your argument; there's no need for you to make personal attacks.

No, respecting the augment would be not being dumb during it.

Majorian posted:

I just admitted it was a hawkish position. Again, I think it's at least partially offset by the fact that she opposed the intervention in the first place, combined with the fact that she doesn't have a long pattern of supporting U.S. interventions.

No she loving didn't oppose the intervention, stop being dumb.

And yes Clinton has supported US interventions, she's also opposed them as well but you seem to only care about the times she's been in favor of them.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Stretch Marx posted:

Only a lovely dog gets eaten by a hawk.

Real dogs are devoured by eagles and condors :colbert:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

and before that she was handwringing about how oh that darn Obama why won't he get SERIOUS about the war on terror.

When?

A Winner is Jew posted:

No she loving didn't oppose the intervention, stop being dumb.

Again, yes she did.

quote:

And yes Clinton has supported US interventions, she's also opposed them as well but you seem to only care about the times she's been in favor of them.

So again, by your logic, Kissinger is not a hawk?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Okay well ASIDE from the times that she said violence is cool and necessary and that we should flex out muscle in the region like Putin-san is doing, prove to me that Gabbard is hawkish

Oh and Clinton is a centrist inasfar as Bernie is

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Majorian posted:

So again, by your logic, Kissinger is not a hawk?

This is such a colossally stupid argument to make and you know it. Kissinger was absolutely an unabashed hawk for whom diplomacy was only an extension of conflict through other means. Clinton might be more likely to use hard power than Obama, but then most people who've been involved in US foreign affairs are more hawkish than candidate-Obama*.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Okay well ASIDE from the times that she said violence is cool and necessary and that we should flex out muscle in the region like Putin-san is doing, prove to me that Gabbard is hawkish

Again, it was a hawkish position on Gabbard's part. My point is that Clinton seems considerably more comfortable adopting hawkish positions than Gabbard, or, indeed, most progressive dems. I'm kind of amazed that this is a controversial point here.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is such a colossally stupid argument to make and you know it. Kissinger was absolutely an unabashed hawk for whom diplomacy was only an extension of conflict through other means. Clinton might be more likely to use hard power than Obama, but then most people who've been involved in US foreign affairs are more hawkish than candidate-Obama*.

But she's noticeably more hawkish than non-candidate Obama too. That's not a reason to not vote for her, as I've said, but it is a pretty valid criticism of her platform.

Also, I think you know that I'm not suggesting Clinton is as hawkish as Kissinger. I'm pointing out that the argument of, "Clinton doesn't support every single opportunity for intervention; therefore, not a hawk," is unconvincing.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 7, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Anyway, sounds like a case could be made for both being hawkish, so being hawkish DOES NOT exclude one from progressive status since Gabbard has it. Clinton is way left of most everybody else on like literally every other issue, so it seems unfair to deny her progressive status

This is all a thought exercise of course because people more liberal that Bernie were excluded because all progressive means is "kissed the ring"

It's a meaningless designation if it includes Gabbard but not Brown

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Hillary Clinton is hummingbird if you watch her hands.

Because she has Parkinson's. :tinfoil:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Epic High Five posted:

Anyway, sounds like a case could be made for both being hawkish, so being hawkish DOES NOT exclude one from progressive status since Gabbard has it. Clinton is way left of most everybody else on like literally every other issue, so it seems unfair to deny her progressive status

That's fine, I never said she shouldn't be considered "progressive" on those fronts. I'm happy that she's moved to the left on a lot of domestic issues. But it's kind of silly to dismiss criticisms of her as too hawkish out of hand.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Majorian posted:

Again, it was a hawkish position on Gabbard's part. My point is that Clinton seems considerably more comfortable adopting hawkish positions than Gabbard, or, indeed, most progressive dems. I'm kind of amazed that this is a controversial point here.

But she's noticeably more hawkish than non-candidate Obama too. That's not a reason to not vote for her, as I've said, but it is a pretty valid criticism of her platform.

Also, I think you know that I'm not suggesting Clinton is as hawkish as Kissinger. I'm pointing out that the argument of, "Clinton doesn't support every single opportunity for intervention; therefore, not a hawk," is unconvincing.

She may seem it but nobody seems to have substantiated it in a way that sets her apart from a gold standard progressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'll never arzy about the results of the election, but while I used to be pretty sure that the worst case scenario for the debates was Trump not showing up and being vindicated by his followers for resisting mainstream convention, my new worst (and most likely) scenario is that he shows up and curbstomps Clinton just by being Trump. I can no longer see any scenario where Clinton "wins" the debates the same way Obama did, save Trump descending into a slavering, stuttering mess or outright vomiting on stage.

If Clinton coughs or even shifts her weight wrong she'll instantly lose.

• Locked thread