Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Oh boy, is it ever. :allears:

I just ordered a bottle of Iroshizuku Ajisai (which appears to be a deep purplish blue) for mine. Right now I have it inked with Noodler's 54th Massachusetts, which is a lovely color but nib creeps like an absolute motherfucker.

yeah it is quite nice! About an equivalent writing experience to my VPs. VPs more convenient but less ink whereas the 2K has a lot more ink but is a snap cap. Thought I might have a problem with the nib sizing and small sweetspot but no the sweet spot isn't as bad as people say it is and the EF nib writes about the same size as my Sailor 1911 EF nib.

Yeah I love 54th Mass but it has weird issues with bad paper and creeps like nothing else. Didn't really pool in my VPs but did dry up a bit on the nibs.

Writing with Yamabudo and it's wonderful :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

GoldenNugget posted:

yeah it is quite nice! About an equivalent writing experience to my VPs. VPs more convenient but less ink whereas the 2K has a lot more ink but is a snap cap. Thought I might have a problem with the nib sizing and small sweetspot but no the sweet spot isn't as bad as people say it is and the EF nib writes about the same size as my Sailor 1911 EF nib.

Yeah I love 54th Mass but it has weird issues with bad paper and creeps like nothing else. Didn't really pool in my VPs but did dry up a bit on the nibs.

Writing with Yamabudo and it's wonderful :).

The Lamy 2k posts quite nicely, too, and is probably the best designed snap cap pen I own. The Pilot Metropolitan cap is a little too snug for my preference, but it is a nice pen nonetheless.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I gave one of my pens to the teenage godkid, but I didn't have any ink bottles with me while I was visiting. Any one have good ideas of how to send an ink sample safely in the mail? Short of ordering a set of vials from the Goulets, or sending a whole bottle, I'm drawing a blank on how to ship that stuff.

e: I don't really understand massdrop except as a convoluted way to get 25% off, but the Metro Retros are up. Meh, almost all of them are sold out, and no medium nibs left.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 1, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you want to mail him one of your own? It seems like the best option would just be to buy him his own bottle or samples and have them shipped directly. They know what they're doing and you have some protection if it gets packed badly.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've just started a pen collection with the Loom, then immediately got the Eco and a sampler set of Iroshizuku inks.

Now I've been bitten by the bug there's a Lamy Al-Star in the mail.

Does anyone use any good resources for handwriting practice? Mine's shocking and needs to get better. Also, are there any reasonably priced Australian shops? Overjoyed.xyz is the most reasonable I found, other than ebay.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I bought a Neponset because I didn't have one and I don't understand the value of a dollar, and I actually kind of like it. The nib has a unique sort of feedback with the three tines, and it shockingly worked right of the box with only minor feed adjusting to get the flow where I want it. Basically a broad nib that flexes out really god drat big.

Somewhat related, Massdrop has drops for a three pack of J. Herbin 1670, and a three pack of R&K inks right now. Woo!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

NeurosisHead posted:

I bought a Neponset because I didn't have one and I don't understand the value of a dollar, and I actually kind of like it. The nib has a unique sort of feedback with the three tines, and it shockingly worked right of the box with only minor feed adjusting to get the flow where I want it. Basically a broad nib that flexes out really god drat big.

Somewhat related, Massdrop has drops for a three pack of J. Herbin 1670, and a three pack of R&K inks right now. Woo!

FYI--The ink unlocked to basically $60, which is what getting three of them off Amazon Prime is.

The good news for me is I discovered I can order Tomoe River B5 on Amazon now, although I have to punch it myself. Well, it's out-of-stock, but at least it's there. Maybe it'll come some day.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

NeurosisHead posted:

I have all the 1670s except the blue one. Emeraude and Hematite are gorgeous, but not remotely water-resistant. Stormy Grey and Caroube held up pretty well to a drip test, surprisingly. Definitely cause some skipping and I'm a little nervous to put them in my best pen, but the bottles are just gorgeous.

I have the Ink Madness but I think I've sated it... for today. Fountain pens are a desperately tempting collision of my writing profession and artistic hobby. It's probably for the best that the nearest decent pen shop is on the other side of a ferry trip.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Iroshizuku inks are so nice and they behave so well in my pens, if they weren't :20bux: a bottle I'd have a lot more.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

Megabound posted:

Does anyone use any good resources for handwriting practice? Mine's shocking and needs to get better. Also, are there any reasonably priced Australian shops? Overjoyed.xyz is the most reasonable I found, other than ebay.

My father swears by the Getty-Dubay system. He went from terrible doctor handwriting to elegant calligraphy that he uses to impress other old people. I'm working through it now, so we'll see how it goes.

I just started with fountain pens a few weeks back, and I expect that soon I'll be like the rest of you. I've got a Waterman Hemisphere, and a Parker 75 that's a family heirloom to start with.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have wanted a Lamy 2000 for a long time and finally ordered one. I have read that the nibs are not consistent and to prepare for possible Lennon work to be done - has anyone found this to be true? I am hoping that it writes great out of the box...I ordered a fine nib.

Also, a second question. How long does ink last? I mean, does it go bad or anything?

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

rio posted:

Also, a second question. How long does ink last? I mean, does it go bad or anything?

Keep it out of the light and heat, make sure the cap's on tight and it'll probably be fine for ages. Just try not to get stuff in the ink — like a bit of dust is more or less inevitable, but the more crap floating around in there the more likely you are to suddenly find something interesting growing in your bottle.

I don't have anything that ancient, just some ~6 year old Herbins that need a little bit of water to make them behave with most of my pens, and some slightly older Noodler's that's somehow just fine, but people do use various inks they've dug up from the '60s or whenever. Unless something's growing in it, the most you'll have to do is probably give it a shake if the bottle's been sitting for a few weeks.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Re: pen, the Lamy 2k has a soft nib with a tiny sweet spot. It's a good writer but some find the size of the spot to be annoying.

Re: ink, just refrain from putting ink back into the bottle and under normal storage conditions you should be able to avoid any mould.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

rio posted:

I have wanted a Lamy 2000 for a long time and finally ordered one. I have read that the nibs are not consistent and to prepare for possible Lennon work to be done - has anyone found this to be true? I am hoping that it writes great out of the box...I ordered a fine nib.

Lamy nibs are highly consistent. For the 2000, they have a small sweet spot and aren't forgiving to rotating away from it. almost like they're very slighly oblique, even the fine.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Honestly, I've never had much trouble finding the sweet spot with my 2000.

Apparently today was get all the inks day. Three different orders i had placed at various points in time decided to show up all at once. So now I've got two Sailors (Inori and Fuji Musume), two Iroshizukus (Yama-Budo and Asa-Gao) and two Shimmertastics (Blue Pearl and Lightning) all waiting to be used and no pens to put them in.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

How many pens do you guys keep inked up at any point? I've got six and it's starting to feel a little obsessive.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I have 16 inked right now.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I used to be that bad. I usually have 5 now. One each with a fine nib and black & blue ink for documents, and three with something broader or italic and a more exciting color. Like right now it's my Al-Star with Lamy Blue, Charlie with HoD, then my 2K with Shin Kai, ad Conklin 1.1mm stub with Montblanc Irish Green, and my new Neponset with Noodler's Violet.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I have about 17 pens inked right now, but I want to get that down to ten.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I used to have a lot more inked up, but then I'd use them too infrequently and they'd get all gummed up. The one infrequent use pen I have now, the pen I keep in my laptop bag for when I'm out and about, is a Platinum 3776, specifically because that one is able to be stored unused for months at a time (supposedly up to two years).

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Currently, I've got 13 inked, and soon to be 14 when I can figure out what I want to try in the new Custom 74 next. (Probably Violette Pensee.) That number goes as low as 8, and recently as high as 31. I work from home, and switch pens all the time, so none of them really have a chance to dry out no matter how many I ink.

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
I'm at 6. I think I might be done with buying new pens for a while. New inks and nibs? Who knows. I finally have my lilac lamy w/ Purple Pazazz in it and a 1.5 stub nib. Maybe that will sate my lust for pretty things? Related, I'm finding the 1.5 lamy stub way easier to write with than my 1.1 on my vac 700. Are 1.5s just easier than 1.1s because its wider?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I saw nine new posts for this thread and am genuinely surprised that it's normal banter instead of The Great TWSBI Argument of 2016 pt. 3. Better pick up the slack, guys.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

My Man Shran posted:

I saw nine new posts for this thread and am genuinely surprised that it's normal banter instead of The Great TWSBI Argument of 2016 pt. 3. Better pick up the slack, guys.

well no one has praised them lately so grack doesn't need to correct them

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Massdrop has the Bung Box drop back, but they were already sold out of one of the colors I wanted :eng99:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pixelante posted:

How many pens do you guys keep inked up at any point? I've got six and it's starting to feel a little obsessive.

I usually keep 5 or 6 inked but lately I've been running them dry and not refilling because I wanted to clean them but :effort: so now I just have two that are actually inked and like 8 that are dry and dirty that need to be cleaned.

unkle77
Sep 9, 2009

Please prepare me one of these... Chocolate Egg Creams.
Bought a Diamond 580 to replace my fine Metro (I do a 3 finger grip with my left hand so it's tough on my thumb to sit on that metal ring) for copy paper writing and I love me some TWSBI. I cannot for some reason get my Custom 74 to write on copy paper without significant pressure, so I always need something fine on hand when I'm not writing on Rhodia or Leuchtturm paper.

And on the subject of how many pens does a guy need, I've decided the last pen I'm buying in the future is a Custom 823. I think I can stop there. A 580, a 74, and an 823 on hand at all times would really just be all I need.

Hard out here for a lefty.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I only have two pens inked, unless you're counting stuff I should really clean…

I donno, I don't have any real burning need to use all the colors at once or anything. Plus, it's kinda nice to just slowly rotate my way through various pens.

Well, that and it works out with how terribly lazy I am about cleaning pens. It'd be kinda a problem if everything was waiting to be cleaned out, after all. No need to needlessly add to my pile of stuff to clean out.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Yeah, I have 4 inked right now but it's only because I switched from my AlStar to my VP as my EDC pen before I ran out of ink in the Lamy. Otherwise I typically have three inked: one with blue or black as an EDC, one with red for editing, and one with a "non-professional" color for stuff I'm writing for myself (creative writing, bullet journaling, etc.). If I have more than that, they just get gummed up and the ink is wasted along with the time I spend cleaning.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I usually have about 7 or 8 pens inked at a time but I probably only use 4 or 5 regularly enough to justify it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Is it normal for the cap retention on a Preppy to wear out in just a couple months?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Some preppies had cracking issues with the caps. I had to get some ef ones replaced because of that, the new ones haven't had issues though.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've got 3 pens inked, but then again, I only own 3 pens. They all get daily use as they never leave my person. Going to cool off on pens for the moment and grab a few nibs to play around with.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

NeurosisHead posted:

well no one has praised them lately so grack doesn't need to correct them

TWSBI sucks and I'm pretty sure they support Trump

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr. Despair posted:

Some preppies had cracking issues with the caps. I had to get some ef ones replaced because of that, the new ones haven't had issues though.

It is an EF. It's at work so I can't check it out now, though. Did you get them replaced through Platinum or the retailer? Seems a little silly to be doing anything about such a cheap pen besides buying another one. I was mostly wondering because I have a few Preppies, like them quite a bit, and was thinking of buying more but I wouldn't if this is typical.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I only have two pens inked: one white Safari with fine nib and a Vista with a medium. I used to have more pens but eventually I realized I just wanted to write and have my writing be reliable and not have to think about it. I've only got Waterman blue and green and J. Herbin Bleu Nuit in my drawer, but I basically only use the blue. I've had pens that cost several hundred dollars, but it's ultimately a pen and I need something that I won't worry about getting stolen or broken. The Lamy's are perfect.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

I've got six of six pens inked up but I really don't use them enough

And I have to say of my six it's my VAC 700 I like the least, it just feels like I'm writing with a nail, which bugs me a bit because I could have bought more metros with the money I spent on it.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
This reminds me i should clean out all the inked pens I haven't used in forever.

Lately I've only been using my Eco and the Kaweco Sport, both of which are highly resistant to drying out.

I don't write much since losing my job and I miss it a bit, but don't have much to write about.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Right now I have the TWSBI Diamond 580, Pilot Metro, and Lamy 2000 inked, but the Lamy is my daily note-taking pen because it just writes so drat nice. Ink capacity is a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

grack posted:

TWSBI sucks and I'm pretty sure they support Trump

It wouldn't shock me if Trump were taking foreign contributions.