Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

CaptainSarcastic posted:

So you work from home?

On occasion, but I haven't worked in a single office/university that didn't have at least a mini-kitchen area with like a microwave and coffee pot and a small amount of silverware, and scissors are always laying around somewhere. You don't need a finely honed kabar to cut up an apple, you can do it with even a butter knife. Or just eat them the more normal way, unless you're specifically chopping them up to make a salad or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if you're coworkers aren't stealing all the decent knives and forks

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Murphy Brownback posted:

On occasion, but I haven't worked in a single office/university that didn't have at least a mini-kitchen area with like a microwave and coffee pot and a small amount of silverware, and scissors are always laying around somewhere. You don't need a finely honed kabar to cut up an apple, you can do it with even a butter knife. Or just eat them the more normal way, unless you're specifically chopping them up to make a salad or something.

If you don't see the benefit to having pliers, scissors, and screwdrivers readily at hand no matter where you are then I really just don't know what to say. Of all the tools on my pocketknife one of the ones that I use the least is the actual blade.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

scissors are always laying around somewhere

That's the main issue. It's more convenient if you don't have to go looking for it.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If you don't see the benefit to having pliers, scissors, and screwdrivers readily at hand no matter where you are then I really just don't know what to say. Of all the tools on my pocketknife one of the ones that I use the least is the actual blade.

I don't see the benefit. Every time I've needed or even wanted those things I've been in places with access to real tools.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Heath posted:

I think that every man has a subconscious attraction to blades. Every time one of those every day carry threads come around, the pocket knife is probably the single most consistent item you see barring ubiquitous things like wallet/phone/keys. Some guys are really obviously obsessed with blades, such as those that kept the Home Shopping Network and many pawn shops in operation ordering replica katanas. We laugh at the dumpy guys in greasy tee-shirts holding a replica Frostmourne, but I believe that if you've ever held a real, made-to-kill-a-man blade in your hand, you probably at least momentarily felt a little powerful.

That's a natural reaction. But carrying a sword is impractical, uncouth, dangerous and serves no self-defensive purpose since it's so outclassed by a firearm. Many of us sublimate that urge to the blade in other ways. Most guys, it seems, carry a pocket knife, and those that do so regularly will defend their choice to do so on the basis of utility, but it's very true that if you carry a pocket knife you will find things to use it for, even if it's just menial things like clumsily poking a hole through a bag of store bought popcorn and stabbing yourself in the finger because you're high as poo poo and you wanted an excuse to use your knife. Somewhere in my heart I believe all men have this experience in some form at some point in their life. If you haven't, it's coming

I dont know anybody who carries a knife around with them and, if i did, i would probably stop being friends with them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's illegal here anyway so :shrug:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The only time I've ever had to use a screwdriver at work, ever, was when I got a new monitor delivered. Yes I could have saved like 30 seconds of asking the secretary "hey, you got a screwdriver?" and getting it, but I consider it worth it to not have to worry about yet another bulky thing to make sure I have in my pockets before I leave the apartment.

As for scissors, there's a supply closet about 10 feet from me with a near endless supply of them, and for the life of me I can't imagine one situation I've been in at work where I thought "hey, I could really use a pair of pliers right about now".

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene
can anyone recommend a pocket knife please

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
Lol if you still whittle anything. You're living in the wrong century, get your redneck rear end a real hobby like video games or computer building Lmao.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Get a HoboSLASH Jr, from Applied Bladenamics.

Ex-Priest Tobin
May 25, 2014

by Reene

opus111 posted:

I dont know anybody who carries a knife around with them and, if i did, i would probably stop being friends with them.

on the contrary it seems like a good reason to be friends with someone imho

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it seems like it would be useful sometimes, but the crackers who consider it an important part of their identity are gayer than gay hitler.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

on the contrary it seems like a good reason to be friends with someone imho

Until they stab you

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

these pocket knives are hella sick IMO

Some good ones they gave a serial number and dont make anymore. But the selection is still good same for build quality. They do take up a lot of real estate in your pocket, iykwim.

I have this "side assist" knife i carry at work because its really quick and handy when i gotta unpack/pack poo poo at work at the poo poo packing factory. The push hole you put your finger in leads to a really secure grip for cutting cardboard and tape or twine. Its got a safety but mine's broke so i don't have to gently caress with it but it was annoying and flimsy so gently caress it it still locks open which just makes it faster.

My dad has some spyderco butterfly knife that they made an equivalent of in pen form. I practice with the pen and won't be able to weild the knife until he chops off the rest of his fingers.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

Opinel no.8 its cheap it looks decent without being tacticool. Its all you need.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ex-Priest Tobin posted:

get a steak knife from the dollar store. 3 for a dollar!

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Rutibex posted:

get a steak knife from the dollar store. 3 for a dollar!

Or this. Do this. Any knife you put in your pocket is a pocket knife why not 3?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

12gaugelobotomy posted:

Opinel no.8 its cheap it looks decent without being tacticool. Its all you need.

My opinel got rusty after i used it to cut an apple to eat and wiped it off but it still got rusty later.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I keep this bad boy on my hip in case I need to very specifically point at an object, or for eating peanuts out of those bowls that bartenders put out. Not only is convenient, it lets all the females in the bar see that I can protect them and that I'm not just some lame redshirt from Podunk.

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

amityville anus posted:

My opinel got rusty after i used it to cut an apple to eat and wiped it off but it still got rusty later.

Huh never heard of that. I've never owned one my brother does and never had a problem. I am the retard this thread is warning against

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

12gaugelobotomy posted:

Huh never heard of that. I've never owned one my brother does and never had a problem. I am the retard this thread is warning against

That's only six. Where's your Sunday church knife?

12gaugelobotomy
Apr 25, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

That's only six. Where's your Sunday church knife?

Thats what i had in my immediate area when i get home from work I'll round up the whole family and really let my autism shine

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,

12gaugelobotomy posted:

Thats what i had in my immediate area when i get home from work I'll round up the whole family and really let my autism shine

See that makes sense. You need knives to be handy when you're constantly opening UPS boxes full of knives.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

amityville anus posted:

it's carbon steel, dumbass

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

jarofpiss posted:

it's carbon steel, dumbass

What does that have to do with eating apples with that knife?

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

amityville anus posted:

What does that have to do with eating apples with that knife?

Carbon steel is stronger than the stainless steel you are used to, but rusts a lot more easily.

naem
May 29, 2011

Frankenstyle posted:

See that makes sense. You need knives to be handy when you're constantly opening UPS boxes full of knives.

:911:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
You know what cuts apples and never rusts? Human incisors.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

notZaar posted:

they sadly do rust a lot and used to get infected and kill men at an average age of 30 something

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

12gaugelobotomy posted:

some of those look like good solid knives but you should replace your machete w/ the plastic handle with a wwII era kukri from india or one of the territories that also wielded them

you never know when you have to cut a man in half

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

notZaar posted:

Oh yeah I keep like three dozen human incisors in the cupboard at all times just in case a whole apple comes by.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I carry a multi-tool with me everyday in my satchel and I used it just an hour ago to remove a dead hard drive from a laptop in a remote african village

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

8 track betamax posted:

I carry a multi-tool with me everyday in my satchel and I used it just an hour ago to remove a dead hard drive from a laptop in a remote african village

Eww.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

extra stout posted:

some of those look like good solid knives but you should replace your machete w/ the plastic handle with a wwII era kukri from india or one of the territories that also wielded them

you never know when you have to cut a man in half

That's actually a molded nylon handle and while it's durable it's uncomfortable as gently caress. But those machetes are pretty good. They can tire you out because they are huge and heavy, but I've also not had one hold an edge as well as that one.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
what do people do every day that requires carrying around a knife in their pocket instead of say using the one in the their kitchen or where they work

like I have a bunch of knives for various butch things like skinning, boning, scaling, cutting through brush etc and some guns too so I'm not some pantswetting creampuff but walking around the city? cant think of a single time in my life I've been on the street and needed to cut something

edit

Internaut! posted:

pantswetting creampuff

mods namechange pls

skeevy achievements fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 7, 2016

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
i have a nice leatherman i carry in my purse so i always have it handy. here ill show you

*digs*

one sec hold on

*digs more*

*sighs* ok look its in here just *removes makeup, keys, phone, body spray, book, bra* what the gently caress man

oh god dammit *steals the one out of mr poops glovebox* i have two nice leathermans i carry in my p

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I want to carry a knife. In my heart. And be dead. I want to be dead, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Turd Burglar posted:

Lol if you still whittle anything. You're living in the wrong century, get your redneck rear end a real hobby like video games or computer building Lmao.
someone was never a Boy Scout

you have two options when you're bored as gently caress at summer camp: light poo poo on fire, or whittle, and whittling probably never started a wildfire

• Locked thread