Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

actually i found it

http://www.businessedge.ca/archives/article.cfm/educated-workforce-tipped-toyota-plant-into-woodstock-10053

so no it isn't a massive load of bullshit, it's a real thing that happened that resulted in Alabama not getting a big Toyota factory and I'm sure similar crap has resulted in additional closures since then

qq more

Just a quick reminder: an official plank of the platform of the Republican Party of Texas is opposition to the teaching of critical reasoning skills.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Citizen Tayne posted:

Just a quick reminder: an official plank of the platform of the Republican Party of Texas is opposition to the teaching of critical reasoning skills.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/post/texas-gop-rejects-critical-thinking-skills-really/2012/07/08/gJQAHNpFXW_blog.html

quote:

have the purpose of challenging the student’s fixed beliefs and undermining parental authority.

"Educated students realize this creationism bullshit is all faaaaaaake we can't have that!!!!"

but wait

quote:

Students should pledge allegiance to the American and Texas flags daily to instill patriotism.

please tell me you don't have two pledges of allegiance in TX

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

actually i found it

http://www.businessedge.ca/archives/article.cfm/educated-workforce-tipped-toyota-plant-into-woodstock-10053

so no it isn't a massive load of bullshit, it's a real thing that happened that resulted in Alabama not getting a big Toyota factory and I'm sure similar crap has resulted in additional closures since then

qq more

Thanks for finding it, I couldn't yesterday. gently caress that s Confederate sympathizer trying to shut me down.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

"Educated students realize this creationism bullshit is all faaaaaaake we can't have that!!!!"

but wait

please tell me you don't have two pledges of allegiance in TX

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Uh oh thread is turning anti South based on empirical evidence and analysis of the historic political decisions and behavior patterns of the residents there OH NO THREAD, PULL UP.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

radiatinglines posted:

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state under God, one and indivisible."

Yeah, but only because they don't know how to divide! :grin:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well Apple's event thing was today right, anything good?

I heard they're gonna do water resistant for their new phone (I've been thinking they'd be idiots not to for a while now) and the headphone jack thing is confirmed. Which is dumb imo.

I can't really think of the last time I used the headphone jack but I did think about using it the other day while sitting on my couch to listen to some music (better bass on the headphones) and I liked having the option. What people gotta buy some special headphones now for your special phone? gently caress that.

e: Oh I just realized I actually use it all the time while snowboarding bc my helmet has speakers in it. the gently caress is Apple thinking?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Moridin920 posted:

I can't really think of the last time I used the headphone jack but I did think about using it the other day while sitting on my couch to listen to some music (better bass on the headphones) and I liked having the option. What people gotta buy some special headphones now for your special phone? gently caress that.
I use headphones all the time--running with music, standing on the train drowning out the screeching, and just cleaning house. That's p crazy to me. I'd be pretty pissed about losing the major function for me.

I guess they're trying to push wireless headphones, which isn't bad if they're good and last awhile but I don't want to find out that i forgot to charge my headphones and whoops they die after a few hours or something (e: lol they die after 5 hours according to them, which means they actually last 2-3 hours of continuous use)

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The only time I have ever done the pledge of allegiance since high school is at a government meeting I am a chairmember at since it'd be really awkward if I was the only one that didn't do it of the like, 7 people there.

It's still really loving stupid, just like how we use the awful national anthem before sporting events.

At least blind American patriotism is on the serious decline and secularism is on the rise.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

Well Apple's event thing was today right, anything good?

I heard they're gonna do water resistant for their new phone (I've been thinking they'd be idiots not to for a while now) and the headphone jack thing is confirmed. Which is dumb imo.

e: Oh I just realized I actually use it all the time while snowboarding bc my helmet has speakers in it. the gently caress is Apple thinking?

that they can sell people branded earbuds and $40 replacement adapters I think

it presumably would be a benefit in terms of properly waterproofing the thing but reports are that it's really no great shakes and if I'm giving up a headphone jack I really would want like Waterfi levels of protection

I've needed to replace my phone for a while, probably going to just go with an SE

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Bonzo posted:

I used to work for a company that made software for chemical, agri, and pharm labs. When our services guys had to go out on assignment they hated it because it would always been in some one stoplight town in the middle of nowhere. Most of the lab staff were barely high school educated and could only follow the steps given to them which was usually, "Put item on the balance. Write down the number displayed. Remove items from the balance" God forbid the days when the lab supervisor was out and these people has to call in for support.

I had a theory that most of the big chemical companies and refineries pick cities like this because they know there is a ton of unskilled labor they can exploit and get tons and tax breaks from local government. Also the work force isn't smart enough or too afraid of retaliation to report any shady practices that may be happening.

They also choose places where the dominant cultural mindset keeps people from complaining about pollution and accidents, because, you know, that would make you look like a pussy. Guess where these traits (lack of education; self-defeating toughness) are both found in spades.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

radiatinglines posted:

Lmao Jesus Christ if true

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Yossarian posted:

No it's true, Texas is loving batshit and I hope my job never sends me there.

And people wonder why Texit is a thing :allears:

In 2007 they even made sure to add "God" into it because you know, separation of church and state isn't real.

Guess the gay threat or something started that since there weren't any godless commies to blame

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fasdar posted:

They also choose places where the dominant cultural mindset keeps people from complaining about pollution and accidents, because, you know, that would make you look like a pussy. Guess where these traits (lack of education; self-defeating toughness) are both found in spades.

sounds like they need some

feminism

:cool:

my Xperia has a headphone jack and it is water/dust resistant. doesn't even have a flap/seal thing over the jack

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Texas owns

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

In 2007 they even made sure to add "God" into it because you know, separation of church and state isn't real.

Guess the gay threat or something started that since there weren't any godless commies to blame

I loving knew I didn't remember it with God in there

I don't think I ever said the Texas one after elementary school

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Moridin920 posted:

qq more

WHOA whoa whoa dawg. Heritage, not hate

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

Uh oh thread is turning anti South based on empirical evidence and analysis of the historic political decisions and behavior patterns of the residents there OH NO THREAD, PULL UP.

Whenever somebody observes that racism is just a way for bottom-rung whites to find someone to feel superior to, I always think of you. You may live in some midwestern hellhole with a wife you hate, but at least you aren't like those filthy stupid blacks "southerners!"

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Whenever somebody observes that racism is just a way for bottom-rung whites to find someone to feel superior to, I always think of you. You may live in some midwestern hellhole with a wife you hate, but at least you aren't like those filthy stupid blacks "southerners!"

But he's literally better than them, sorry man

Oh poo poo you were quoting Jastiger. Point still stands

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Fasdar posted:

Let me tell you about Eastern Kentucky and the coal industry

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

I've unfortunately lived most of my life in the deep south and it's dumb as hell

hope this helps

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

blugu64 posted:

Texas owns

owns the gently caress outta the people living there

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would rather live in the South then New England, and both of those before the Midwest. What is even the point of living there, other then "It's cheap"?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Midwesterners think that chili on spaghetti covered in a pound of cheese is good eats.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

bongwizzard posted:

I would rather live in the South then New England, and both of those before the Midwest. What is even the point of living there, other then "It's cheap"?

Lower concentration of loving morons, it's like you're not even paying attention

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not seeing a problem with this post? Except I'm not white I guess.

That is legit my point though, I'm in the midwest which for the most part is unremarkable and its STILL a better place to raise a family than places that have to move jobs because the people are too uneducated to understand pictograms.

Honor culture is toxic as gently caress and is responsible for most of the humanities problems and it is in fuckin' SPADES in the South. So yeah I may live in some "Hellhole" but at least I'm not happily rolling around in the poo poo that is the South and Southern culture.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

owns the gently caress outta the people living there

I laughed.

Fasdar posted:

This is actually true and I remember reading some internal memo from some company some years back about it. Maybe it was a political memo but the point stands. Businesses were attracted to the South because the workers there would be willing to almost pay to work for a job because it was the "Manly" thing to do. It allowed businesses to really exploit their workers and drive down benefits by pitting them against one another and its all perpetuated by the whole bootstraps honor culture that exists. Its kind of sad, really :(

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

You can get into deep poo poo if you don't do it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Jastiger posted:

I'm not seeing a problem with this post?

Him or her is calling you a hypocritical bigot

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jastiger posted:

I'm not seeing a problem with this post? Except I'm not white I guess.

That is legit my point though, I'm in the midwest which for the most part is unremarkable and its STILL a better place to raise a family than places that have to move jobs because the people are too uneducated to understand pictograms.

Honor culture is toxic as gently caress and is responsible for most of the humanities problems and it is in fuckin' SPADES in the South. So yeah I may live in some "Hellhole" but at least I'm not happily rolling around in the poo poo that is the South and Southern culture.

You're making GBS threads on black people under the cover of just not liking "southerners" and that makes you the worst kind of trash. I'm sick of seeing you roll up all "heh heh yep that's mah gimmick, I hate them coons-I-mean-southerners buckle up it's jastiger time." It's not a dogwhistle, it's a foghorn. I know you're too shitbrained to change but you don't get to pretend you're fooling anybody. At least mix it up by calling us "Mondays" or "Canadians" sometimes.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

You're making GBS threads on black people under the cover of just not liking "southerners" and that makes you the worst kind of trash. I'm sick of seeing you roll up all "heh heh yep that's mah gimmick, I hate them coons-I-mean-southerners buckle up it's jastiger time." It's not a dogwhistle, it's a foghorn. I know you're too shitbrained to change but you don't get to pretend you're fooling anybody. At least mix it up by calling us "Mondays" or "Canadians" sometimes.

I would seriously encourage you to check out my annual South posts and why I post the way I do about the South. It has little to do with Black people and a lot to do with the former Confederacy and the culture that it has engendered in that region of the United States. I even have facts, figures, and historical references in em.

Also, RELAX.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
p sure Jastiger just thinks the South is trash and it's not secret code for hating black people lol

Can we move on now tho

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Jastiger posted:

I would seriously encourage you to check out my annual South posts and why I post the way I do about the South. It has little to do with Black people and a lot to do with the former Confederacy and the culture that it has engendered in that region of the United States. I even have facts, figures, and historical references in em.

Also, RELAX.

Here's the bigger thing: no one gives a single gently caress about you feel about the South you insufferable human being.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

two forty posted:

Here's the bigger thing: no one gives a single gently caress about you feel about the South you insufferable human being.

nice meltdown

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

blugu64 posted:

Texas owns

Well no, they made that illegal in 1865.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

blugu64 posted:

Midwesterners think that chili on spaghetti covered in a pound of cheese is good eats.

You're an ignoramus. That spaghetti poo poo is from Cincinnati, and you'd be shot dead if you tried to serve it west of the Mississippi.

I'm pretty sure that Jastiger is black- At least that's what he's said before. Maybe it's all just a part of the gimmick.

I actually agree with most of his points about the South, but he takes it too far and paints with a brush size way too big. There are good, intelligent people everywhere. Some just have the misfortune of being born in the wrong part of the country.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Moridin920 posted:

nice meltdown

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jastiger isn't wrong about the south most of the time, but it's too obvious that he enjoys posting about it, and seeing people enjoy themselves makes me want to wretch

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

cuck cuck im gay posted:

Check out the list of schools where you can transfer your ITT Tech degree and try not to laugh! https://www.itt-tech.edu/articulation/

tl;dr: they are all schools that advertise on Spike TV at 2 am

Page is offline already. All I get is a generic "we are closed , sorry" page.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
The south has a lot of dumb idiots that can get a decent job and dumb idiot wife. It's very inclusive to dumb idiots. I think you northerners are being a little fascist against our inclusive communities. Should dumb idiots not be able to produce and contribute to society?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Bloke posted:

Lower concentration of loving morons, it's like you're not even paying attention

I don't believe that for a second. You live in the midwest for two reasons, either you or your immediate ancestors were too dumb to find work anywhere else, or your ancestors hundreds of years ago were too dumb/lazy to make it to the west coast. Who suffers through a month or two in a wagon and is like "look at all this fuckin flatness, lets settle here honey".