Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Spoeank posted:

Remember Torrey Smith on the Ravens? That's Mike Wallace on the Ravens. If that much, more likely a poor man's version of Smith. Do you want to roster a guy who will boom/bust his way to WR35?

:siren::siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/773547304011730944

I hate the Cowboys and all but jesus christ I really don't want to see someone die on field.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

LmaoTheKid posted:

https://twitter.com/clarencehilljr/status/773547304011730944

I hate the Cowboys and all but jesus christ I really don't want to see someone die on field.

They rushed Dez and Romo back from injury last year and look how that worked out.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Richard Sherman once said that Mike Wallace was the hardest-to-defend player he's ever been up against.

Unfortunately, the reason Sherman gave for that was his speed, and Wallace is now 30 and hasn't flashed that speed in years.

I wouldn't expect much. "boom/bust his way to WR35" sounds about right.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I've made 6 trades between my two leagues so far, and the season hasn't even started. :getin:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Mike Wallace is a great bye week sub if you're in some wacky 14+ team league where you need to start 3+ WRs and there are big play bonuses.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Pass dropped but there is a flag.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ignore

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I took Julius Thomas as my TE in like the last round because I had to roster one. But I don't particularly like him. Drop him for any of these guys, either as a 1 week stream or straight season-long upgrade?

12 team ESPN standard league, 0 PPR

Jesse James @WSH
Vance McDonald vs LA
Dwayne Allen vs DET
Clive Walford @NO

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Docjowles posted:

I took Julius Thomas as my TE in like the last round because I had to roster one. But I don't particularly like him. Drop him for any of these guys, either as a 1 week stream or straight season-long upgrade?

12 team ESPN standard league, 0 PPR

Jesse James @WSH
Vance McDonald vs LA
Dwayne Allen vs DET
Clive Walford @NO

They're all going to be a gamble in 0 ppr, but if I had to pick one of those 5 to get a TD I'd guess McDonald.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Should I start Sanders tomorrow night (vs Cin) over the likes of Demarco Murray (vs Min) or Vincent Jackson (@ Atl)? .5 ppr.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Week 1 Start/Sit Thread: Don't sit your studs

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

oh yeah, sorry! I'm still shaking off the rust of the off season.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I feel like I'm in a bad place with my RBs, my starters are Jeremy Langford and Matt Jones.
Should I try to trade for Jamaal Charles in hopes of getting a break when he comes back? Is TY Hilton too much value to offer up as trade?
I figured I'd start by offering someone like Kamar Aiken, Kenny Stills, or Ajaiyi and see if he bites before going all the way to Hilton.
0 PPR, Standard ESPN.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Vargo posted:

I feel like I'm in a bad place with my RBs, my starters are Jeremy Langford and Matt Jones.
Should I try to trade for Jamaal Charles in hopes of getting a break when he comes back? Is TY Hilton too much value to offer up as trade?
I figured I'd start by offering someone like Kamar Aiken, Kenny Stills, or Ajaiyi and see if he bites before going all the way to Hilton.
0 PPR, Standard ESPN.

If you offered me Aiken, Stills, or Ajayi for JC (peace and blessings be upon him), I would reject your offer and not consider for a moment trying to work out a trade with you. I would rather watch you suffer, week after week, as your RBs hold you back and you ultimately find yourself trying to escape the Sacko.

If I were you, I wouldn't start with Hilton, though. Hilton seems fair but there IS some risk with JC (peace and blessings be upon him), so I would offer a bit less. Just not THAT much less.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Vargo posted:

0 PPR, Standard ESPN.
Nah try to trade one of those guys for Todd Gurley instead. Why set your sights so low?

edit:

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

If I were you, I wouldn't start with Hilton, though. Hilton seems fair but there IS some risk with JC (peace and blessings be upon him), so I would offer a bit less. Just not THAT much less.
Still insane. For example, BeerSheets ranks Charles's value at 5.0 and Hilton's at 2.3 in 0 PPR and has Charles in a three-way tie with Gronk and Lamar Miller for the eighth most valuable player. Missing one game doesn't drop him to Hilton's value.

mega dy fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 7, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vargo posted:

I figured I'd start by offering someone like Kamar Aiken, Kenny Stills, or Ajaiyi and see if he bites

This is a good way to immediately end negotiations. Don't offer people 10th round picks (or later) for their 2nd or 3rd round pick. At least make it SOMEWHAT reasonable if you want to get a back and forth going.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have a really big problem not getting personally insulted and telling people to gently caress themselves when they offer me poo poo trades like that.

Don't waste my time. I'm not going to start at dogshit and work my way up to even, this isn't the market in Aladdin.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

dy. posted:

Nah try to trade one of those guys for Todd Gurley instead. Why set your sights so low?

edit:

Still insane. For example, BeerSheets ranks Charles's value at 5.0 and Hilton's at 2.3 in 0 PPR and has Charles in a three-way tie with Gronk and Lamar Miller for the eighth most valuable player. Missing one game doesn't drop him to Hilton's value.

I'd rather have JC, too, but if you look at ADP right now, JC is only a couple spots ahead of Hilton. You are operating under the assumption that JC is only missing one game. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he might miss several games and/or be on a snap count and/or be a member of a committee when he returns.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I'd rather have JC, too, but if you look at ADP right now, JC is only a couple spots ahead of Hilton. You are operating under the assumption that JC is only missing one game. I don't think it's unreasonable to think he might miss several games and/or be on a snap count and/or be a member of a committee when he returns.
Fair, but it's kind of common consensus that Charles is being underdrafted right now due to his injury risk. I would think that anyone who took him is pretty comfortable with it; it's not like it's a new thing that no one knew about.

I think it's highly unlikely that someone would trade their freshly-drafted Charles for TY Hilton having literally just chosen him. Unless it was an autodraft or something.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

At the same time, a lot of JC owners aren't going to immediately punt on a 2nd or 3rd round pick like that. The ADP probably matters less than where they drafted the player, as they are only probably evaluating where they took the player vs what they think they are getting in return.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
I think it depends on when you drafted, too; a lot of folks drafted him before the news of his delayed recovery broke.

Y'all are mostly right, I don't think we really disagree much, but I think there may be in some leagues opportunities to get JC for cheap if the owner is panicking as week 1 approaches. That being said, I think you are more likely to find a JC owner in need of a starting RB rather than a TY Hilton.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Okay, point taken. But the only one I have in the a-little-less-than-Hilton range is Sterling Shepard. Should I offer him for Charles or just hope for a miracle with Jones?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

We haven't even seen week 1 of the season yet. Outside of autodraft, anyone who has a given player on their roster has them because they were their choice. There is zero chance that someone would trade said player for anyone who was drafted lower than them. If they wanted the latter player then they would have drafted them in the first place when both were available.

The only way that this changes is if the draft occurred weeks ago and recent news has scared them.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Vargo posted:

Okay, point taken. But the only one I have in the a-little-less-than-Hilton range is Sterling Shepard. Should I offer him for Charles or just hope for a miracle with Jones?

Offer him Sterling Shepard for Jamaal Charles.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Vargo posted:

You are so precious. Something tells me the point was not actually taken.

edit: Here, I'm going to rewrite this conversation using real-world items which approximately represent players value. Maybe that will get the point across.

Vargo posted:

Hey guys, I really need a need TV. I was thinking about offering my neighbor a trade. I'm going to start by offering some old socks, or maybe a few old pennies. If he doesn't bite, I can work my way up to a DVD player.

The Thread posted:

That's an unrealistic, borderline insulting trade offer.

Vargo posted:

OK, point taken. What if I offer this box of colored pencils?

mega dy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 7, 2016

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

dy. posted:

You are so precious. Something tells me the point was not actually taken.

Is Shepard really such a garbage offer? I know he's a rookie and he's behind ODB but he had good... okay yeah I see your point. But I meant it, he's the only guy I have that's between Hilton and like Aiken.

I'm really really bad at valuing players against each other and I'm just looking to dig my way out of the RB hole I'm overthinking. I thought picking up JC on the cheap might be a possibility but it sounds like the answer is definitely no.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Please nod if you understand.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Nodding.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
RIght idea, wrong execution. Take a chance on someone that's not quite so bright a star.

See if you can grab a Rashad Jennings, or a Thomas Rawls, or take a chance with Terrance West or someone like that.

Also comb your waiver wire and see what's there. Maybe Forsett went undrafted?

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

RIght idea, wrong execution. Take a chance on someone that's not quite so bright a star.

See if you can grab a Rashad Jennings, or a Thomas Rawls, or take a chance with Terrance West or someone like that.

Yeah your best bet is going to be to try to chase someone who is undervalued and could potentially break out.

Also this is kind of the worst possible time to trade because everyone literally just hand-selected all of their players, and so will be pretty tied to them. Maybe wait a few weeks and try to snag someone who is underperforming.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

I think it depends on when you drafted, too; a lot of folks drafted him before the news of his delayed recovery broke.

This isn't new news, his recovery has been on track with every modern acl recovery with exception to Adrian Peterson. Kelvin Benjamin and Jordy Nelson are in the same boat and their injuries happened weeks earlier.

It's possible he misses a couple weeks like gurley last season (I still think he plays week 1 in a limited role) but no informed person drafted Charles without knowing this. This whole spencer ware adp explosion is bizarre and just shows how much influence rotoworld and Twitter have on fantasy sports.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Forsett was actually the first thing I checked for but he was taken. I doubt I can get Rawls but Jennings is a good idea.
Also my league's JC owner seems to have backed the wrong handcuff and is starting Charcandrick West. But I don't see anyone else he has that I'd trade for. Spiller, but I don't know that's any better than my options.

I guess I asked the wrong questions. Better question.
I need an RB better than Matt Jones and the most I'm willing to give up is TY Hilton. What names, if any, should I try to trade for?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

West isn't exactly the "wrong" guy. They both performed quite well last year. He's been a little dinged up but will also play.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I also might be getting sucked up in.the Ware hype and kicking myself for leaving him undrafted in the last round when I had the chance.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Ware is going to be startable for like three weeks. When Jamaal is back he's tiers above West and Ware. They aren't, you know, ACTUAL fantasy starters. If they were able to combine their stats into the same guy they would be though.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

Vargo posted:

I also might be getting sucked up in.the Ware hype and kicking myself for leaving him undrafted in the last round when I had the chance.

Don't worry so much about Ware. Plug in one of your bench RBs until Charles is healthy, and keep churning out the bottom of your roster to find the 2016 version of 2015 West/Ware/Hightower, 2014 Forsett.

Let other leaguemates throw too much capital at a hyped name who will get some run early, but will ultimately be behind a probable Hall of Fame RB once he's healthy.

Week 1 is when everything comes crashing down in terms of projection and hype once we see what new coordinators/coaches/free agents do in terms of scheme, roles and production.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea bad trade offers particularly if you dont know that person really makes you hate them and want them to fail. Like its probably human and correct to assume theyre new to FF and dont understand value but its lot easier to lean to "this guy is an rear end in a top hat"

Like someone offered me Doug Martin straight up for Lamar Miller yesterday in a ppr league. No explanation, nothing and its like what the gently caress

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
I got Charles at 3.12\4.1 in GoonTier B. I'll be running with Riddick, Langford, and Sproles until he's back, but hopefully that'll be worth the gamble.

the_american_dream posted:

Like someone offered me Doug Martin straight up for Lamar Miller yesterday in a ppr league. No explanation, nothing and its like what the gently caress

I'll never understand the rationale behind offering to trade someone with the same position as the guy being asked for.

Professor Moriarty fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Should I take Kelvin Benjamin for Gio Bernard? My other RBs are Lacy, Charles, Foster and Henry and my WRs are Maclin, Hilton, Aiken, and Green-Beckham.

• Locked thread