Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Left Ventricle posted:

Um, I think Chevrolet offers a diesel in the Cruze. Or they did. I don't know about the current generation.

They did, it was for 2 model years I believe (in the US anyway). And it was only available in what was essentially a LTZ - loving loaded, and automatic only. They only built a handful of them for the US market.

There's rumors about it coming back later in the 2017 model year. But to be fair, the turbo 1.4 (gasoline) is supposed to nail 40 mpg, and the diesel is rumored to have about the same hp (but of course a lot more torque). Rumors are putting it around 45-48 mpg highway.

It'd be nice if they would offer it in lower trim levels; if I'm buying a diesel, it's because I care about mileage, not if I care about rear end warmers and coolers built into the seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Cruze diesel was awful, my work has one of those for doing on site work/going to meetings. The other car, a Focus diesel (which I brought from my workplace) was a far better car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

In all honesty, the fact the Cruze diesel is terrible is less a diesel issue and more a Cruze issue...

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If the only cars you can get a diesel in are lovely, you will very quickly learn that a diesel engine means a lovely car.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Midjack posted:

If the only cars you can get a diesel in are lovely, you will very quickly learn that a diesel engine means a lovely car.

Which is why VW are such assholes. Their diesel offerings were so loving tempting. :smith:

I was actually on the verge of buying one in 2013.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

Which is why VW are such assholes. Their diesel offerings were so loving tempting. :smith:

I was actually on the verge of buying one in 2013.

They still are really fun cars to drive. Which is why the VW American CEO saying TDI is dead is really the final nail in the betrayal that was their loving cheat.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Isn't that because the emissions fix isn't in yet? Once that recall goes out and everyone's sporty TDI suddenly loses a percentage of its output those cars are going to be miserable.

I can't imagine it will work like a normal recall either, where you can just ignore it if you want to. Any TDI without the fix is going to be an instant failure on an I/M check.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

xzzy posted:

Isn't that because the emissions fix isn't in yet? Once that recall goes out and everyone's sporty TDI suddenly loses a percentage of its output those cars are going to be miserable.

I can't imagine it will work like a normal recall either, where you can just ignore it if you want to. Any TDI without the fix is going to be an instant failure on an I/M check.

the EPA's goal is to get the cars off the road. they are hoping the generous cash on the buyback will dissuade most owners from keeping the cars and waiting for a fix.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

xzzy posted:

I'm not getting mine messed with in any way. God bless Florida and its complete lack of emissions checks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'm not getting mine messed with in any way. God bless Florida and its complete lack of emissions checks.

And for that pleasure, Florida will be the first to suffer the wrath of Climate Change.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommieGIR posted:

And for that pleasure, Florida will be the first to suffer the wrath of Climate Change.

The best part is that even building a sea wall around the state wouldn’t work. Florida is too porous. The water would effortlessly seep through the limestone.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

The whole south, actually. which is ironic as all gently caress given the mentality of the locals there.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
The only bad part about losing Florida to the ocean is that when pictures of North America come up and that peninsula isn't there it's gonna make me very uneasy, but only because it looks different.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The main area affected by global warming doesn't believe in it.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Poetic, ain't it?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scuz posted:

The only bad part about losing Florida to the ocean is that when pictures of North America come up and that peninsula isn't there it's gonna make me very uneasy, but only because it looks different.

Don't worry, you won't be alive to see it actually disappear. It would take 40 meters of sea level rise to fully submerge Florida, and estimates put us at something like 60 centimeters by 2100.

A fun toy, allowing you destroy Florida as much as you want:

http://geology.com/sea-level-rise/florida.shtml

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

scuz posted:

Don't forget all the Floridians will have to move somewhere else!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sleepy.eyes posted:

Don't forget all the Floridians will have to move somewhere else!

Based on the link I posted, sea level rise will mostly leave Georgia intact so I predict that's where most of them will end up. Don't expect anyone to really notice any difference.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
More mulatto?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm guessing they'll just all take shelter in this diamond-shaped plateau around Gainesville

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's just where the snowbirds will construct their megalevee and pretend like nothing changed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Javid posted:

I'm guessing they'll just all take shelter in this diamond-shaped plateau around Gainesville

Legend: 1 mm above sea level.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

xzzy posted:

Based on the link I posted, sea level rise will mostly leave Georgia intact so I predict that's where most of them will end up. Don't expect anyone to really notice any difference.

What's the fastest way to raise the IQ or Florida and Georgia at the same time? Cede Tallahassee!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

scuz posted:

As a space nerd, losing Cape Canaveral is gonna suck too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Collateral Damage posted:

It will always be Cape Kennedy in my heart.

Or at the bottom of the sea.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Javid posted:

Future News posted:

BREAKING NEWS: IPCC REPORTS "OH FFS, ROLL OUT SOME DIESELS, GIVE IT ANOTHER TENTH OF A DEGREE"

scuz posted:

Put the map legend over it, don't cry when your children see you, then it's fine, over in a generation, nbd.

Collateral Damage posted:

Just dock Elon Musk's launch boat over it, nbd.

Geez, I come across a bit anti-Florida don't it?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I'm good until 40 meters. Then my house is underwater :(

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

Not much of a beach bum anymore, are you?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Ola posted:

Not much of a beach bum anymore, are you?

I spend like 90% of my weekends down at the coast on my HobieCat. If it wasn't for my having become accustomed to a regular salary and everything that buys I'm pretty sure I'd just build a driftwood shack in the St George State Park and live off of crabs and snapper for the rest of my life. And die at age 35 from rampant skin cancer.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

I spend like 90% of my weekends down at the coast on my HobieCat. If it wasn't for my having become accustomed to a regular salary and everything that buys I'm pretty sure I'd just build a driftwood shack in the St George State Park and live off of crabs and snapper for the rest of my life. And die at age 35 from rampant skin cancer.

Good man. But clearly evidence of the collective, self aware, ice melting monster retreating to higher ground.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Beach Bum posted:

I'm on Cape Cod, and good until 30m. I'd have beachfront property then...

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I'll have a private island at 13 meters.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

sleepy.eyes posted:

I'll have a private island at 13 meters.

I'll still be hundreds of miles away from the coast at 60m. Even with the Mississippi Delta moving up to Memphis.

Man, Illinois sucks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’ll be dead well before +10 m

Of old age.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I'll still be hundreds of miles away from the coast at 60m. Even with the Mississippi Delta moving up to Memphis.

Man, Illinois sucks

Yeah but we have.......poo poo we don't really have anything..... Russell's is a legit BBQ joint to somewhat help offset the suck of Illinois. Other than that and some beautiful architecture we have nothing in this whole state. Cross into any other state and there is at least something beautiful in it.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

SouthsideSaint posted:

Yeah but we have.......poo poo we don't really have anything..... Russell's is a legit BBQ joint to somewhat help offset the suck of Illinois. Other than that and some beautiful architecture we have nothing in this whole state. Cross into any other state and there is at least something beautiful in it.

You have Chicago, good and bad.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

About all Illinois has is Chicago, and all Chicago has is jobs. Which allows you to make money to go to visit places that are actually interesting.

As far as big cities go Chicago isn't the worst of them, it would actually be a very nice downtown if it weren't for the rampant corruption, murder, and bankruptcy.

gently caress the burbs though. So many yuppies, please someone drop a nuke on it. :smith:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

SouthsideSaint posted:

Cross into any other state and there is at least something beautiful in it.

As long as you forget Indiana exists.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Uthor posted:

As long as you forget Indiana exists.

Hey now. Some of the dunes are still nice and southern Indiana has a few nice quiet towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

You Am I posted:

The Cruze diesel was awful, my work has one of those for doing on site work/going to meetings. The other car, a Focus diesel (which I brought from my workplace) was a far better car.

I had one as a loan car while my Commodore was getting serviced, and hated it.

Noisy under load and with normal throttle the transmission seems like it was having a race to get from first to sixth as fast as possible, so when you wanted to accelerate or overtake, the engine lugged while it remembered that it had to downshift.