Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

On second thought maybe ask your models to wear a septum ring - that's really In right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
lol

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Brows are also looking thin. Think about hiring an MUA

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

ansel autisms posted:

Really cool stuff shoot more

ansel autisms posted:

On second thought maybe ask your models to wear a septum ring - that's really In right now

Ow, my pride.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Brows are also looking thin. Think about hiring an MUA

Yeah, I probably should. I found this model for a quick shoot while going home over the last weekend; couldn't dig up a MUA in time. But even when just shooting in town... what are good indication of a worthwhile MUA? I know next to nothing about makeup. What should I look for, and expect to pay?

Untitled by Jason Martin, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

MUA would take that poo poo to the next level, my man!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ansel autisms posted:

MUA would take that poo poo to the next level, my man!

So would a concept beyond "quirky pose"

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Free spirits are quirky - the openness of the human soul - entry-level wiccanism - no need to poo poo on it because it's outside of your regressive, uncool mind. Chill out, let the artist relax.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
The artist is whoever mowed that lawn in a dope rear end pattern. Everything else is just window dressing.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

8th-snype posted:

So would a concept beyond "quirky pose"

Ansel here notwithstanding, this is an extremely good point. This shoot in particular was more pointless than normal even for me; I just found a model in the area I was visiting family in because I wanted to shoot. I didn't have any concept or ideas behind it, I just wanted to shoot. I figured I'd just call it practice.

The more I do this, the more I realize that photography is easy, having a reason behind it is hard. When I try to come up with something, it feels forced and fake.

I need to find more interesting people to take pictures of. Also, I need to find a more interesting person to take the photos.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

thetzar posted:

When I try to come up with something, it feels forced and fake.

As opposed to these? Don't make excuses just make less pointless photos.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

My opinions not withstanding? Dude, those are dope. You gotta get serious. Apply to some mags. Can't wait to see your pics in the next Anthropologie catalog.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

thetzar posted:

The more I do this, the more I realize that photography is easy,

Motion to rename thread to this

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

bobmarleysghost posted:

Motion to rename thread to this

I don't know dude "Also, I need to find a more interesting person to take the photos." is also a protier thread title

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

That works

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi

thetzar posted:

Ansel here notwithstanding, this is an extremely good point. This shoot in particular was more pointless than normal even for me; I just found a model in the area I was visiting family in because I wanted to shoot. I didn't have any concept or ideas behind it, I just wanted to shoot. I figured I'd just call it practice.

The more I do this, the more I realize that photography is easy, having a reason behind it is hard. When I try to come up with something, it feels forced and fake.

I need to find more interesting people to take pictures of. Also, I need to find a more interesting person to take the photos.

hey man dont let these dweebs get u down. id say u should take a gander at your favourite photos and try to figure out what you like about them and then try to use those elements in ur work. heck even just trying to replicate your favourite pictures is a great way to grow an innate aesthetic sense and connect that to the physicality of photography

good luck goon

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Great macro photography

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

a better MUA would really push this into legendary status

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Man eating cheeseburger, 2016

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
That bit of grass picking up in front of him really bugs me

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
better watch out for those man eating cheeseburgers

and that killer cacti

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

rijard by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.
It was my 2016 goal to shoot more people, and I haven't done it at all to speak of.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Erostratus
Jun 18, 2011

by R. Guyovich
Shooting at 4000 ISO and still getting passable photos rules:

His Piece by Kyle Sonnenberg, on Flickr

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Untitled by Tom Olson, on Flickr

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

Excellent.

Duncecap
Jul 30, 2003

I'm experimenting with portrait photography after photographing animals and stuff for a while. I have managed to enlist the help of some models for a shoot in a nature reserve next weekend, I have been absorbing everything I can about posing and lighting but 2 of the models have specifically requested some shots of them together. Apart from some random finds I am finding it difficult to get any decent guides or examples of portrait style photos of 2 people together, can anyone help?

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Two people should always be photographed together performing the Dillon/Dutch handshake.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 7, 2017

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Night Owls
by Steve V, on Flickr

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

iSheep fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 21, 2016

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
It's a little red

Twenties Superstar
Oct 24, 2005

sugoi
noticed the clock was a little askew and did my best to fix it

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

👏

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981