Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

This is the worst console generation ever
Good thing its the last one ever, also

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

This is the worst console generation ever

its pathetic

the only game worth a poo poo is still bloodborne and that came out ages ago, everything else is on PC.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Pomp posted:

this console gen is one huge wet fart that never ends

We are witnessing the death of console gaming. Microsoft is already on board with Win 10 gaming, Sony is in the process of fragmenting their userbase and the NX is basically pulling a Dreamcast launch.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

homeless snail posted:

Good thing its the last one ever, also

The 8th console generation AKA "the abyss"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

El Hefe posted:

its pathetic

the only game worth a poo poo is still bloodborne and that came out ages ago, everything else is on PC.

february 2017 will save us.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:lol: if you people actually believe like half the poo poo you're posting

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

axleblaze posted:

its a console thread in games

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dead or Alive Xtreme 3 added a new picture mode today. Players set a character, pose, and bikini then the girl will stand there while her head occasionally moves to track the camera.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

axleblaze posted:

This is the PS4 thread. It's always been bad.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

katkillad2 posted:

NX is basically pulling a Dreamcast launch.

it would have to be pretty amazing

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

El Hefe posted:

its pathetic

Bloodborne 2 is coming though and it will be a 30 fps masterpiece only on Playstation 4 Pro

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lmao some of you guys really care about 4K blu-ray who gives a gently caress

so what about the controller besides the dumb light bar is the battery life not poo poo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ps4 amateurs getting awful rowdy. i ps4 for a living. come at me, pro

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Real hurthling! posted:

february 2017 will save us.

I just need a new main-series single player Ace Combat game and this generation will be redeemed.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

so what about the controller besides the dumb light bar is the battery life not poo poo

'you can now transmit data through the usb so it is even better to leave the thing plugged in!'

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Wait the new controller doesn't really have another light bar does it? That was just someone's stupid joke right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a window onto the already existing light. it can still be dimmed to be less bright than the xb360 green light so its nbd. people on surveys actually wanted to see it change color in games for some dumb reason so this is the least annoying way to make them happy

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

it has input over wire if you want to use it plugged in and it has a window in the touch pad down to the led light so at the very least battery life won't be worse.

they may have also revised some of the mechanisms or boards internally to save money/fix failure points but idk. usually happens with a revision though.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait the new controller doesn't really have another light bar does it? That was just someone's stupid joke right?

No new lightbar, top of the touchpad is transparent so you can see the light through it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Liver Disaster posted:

'you can now transmit data through the usb so it is even better to leave the thing plugged in!'
Couldn't you always?

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

its a console thread in games

Goons love to hate!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

acksplode posted:

I don't think Sony announced a new console whose only real distinguishing feature is 4k support with the expectation that everyone will upgrade to it. I don't think most people in this thread are the audience for it. It's for new entrants who've been holding out on a PS4 or insanely early adopters. The console Sony expects you to buy is probably gonna be the PS4 Pro S R-Type or whatever in 2-3 years.

I buy and play consoles because I'm a cheap fucker who wants to enjoy devs doing good work on predictable hardware and not having to worry about upgrades ever 3 years (both me and them), it doesn't really matter how it starts, it's the pace that gets set that inevitably (and purposefully) leads to the iPhone upgrade model where there's no defining line between hardware and your model becomes just an annoyance to developers whenever it stops being the money model, and god help you if you decide to hold onto the drat thing for 6-7 years.

idk, I'm old and like my consoles the way gawwwwwwwd intended

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'd say PS4 has the advantage over PC in JRPG anime poo poo but I dunno if that's even really true anymore

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

it does but mainly in the form of timed exclusives because only the biggest japanese devs can do simultaneous releases. most of the little ones are getting their poo poo out on pc in 6-18 months.

homeless snail posted:

Couldn't you always?

no it only paired via cord. 3rd party controllers were able to do it like fighting game pads and sticks though.

according to some people with hands on last week it does the input via wire by hijacking the wired headset signal and transmitting it via that. idk how trustworthy that is though but it was reported by Laura k (formerly of destructoid) who was the one that had the system early

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Looks like the optical port is still there despite rumours. And an extra USB on the back.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Looks like the optical port is still there despite rumours. And an extra USB on the back.

yeah, they were crying over the ps4slim

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

loquacius posted:

I'd say PS4 has the advantage over PC in JRPG anime poo poo but I dunno if that's even really true anymore
For me the relative inconvenience of PC gaming from the sofa is merely about switching the output over to the TV when I want to play. If I had a spare PC to just stick under the TV and set to run Steam Big Picture on startup, that would be basically it for game consoles.

edit: except for Yakuza and SRW.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 8, 2016

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

They named the second PS4 the PSP.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me the relative inconvenience of PC gaming from the sofa is merely about switching the output over to the TV when I want to play. If I had a spare PC to just stick under the TV and set to run Steam Big Picture on startup, that would be basically it for game consoles.

you can do that. tiny cases are annoying to put together but nothing serious stopping you. good luck gamer

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

They named the second PS4 the PSP.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they made a ps faux-proas

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

acksplode posted:

I don't think Sony announced a new console whose only real distinguishing feature is 4k support with the expectation that everyone will upgrade to it. I don't think most people in this thread are the audience for it. It's for new entrants who've been holding out on a PS4 or insanely early adopters. The console Sony expects you to buy is probably gonna be the PS4 Pro S R-Type or whatever in 2-3 years.

The PS4 Pro exists because Sony is scared of people jumping ship to PC later in the lifecycle of the PS4.

quote:

House said that one of the key motivations for PlayStation 4 Neo was specifically to prevent high-end users from abandoning the product at an earlier point than its natural eight-year lifespan. “We’ve traditionally seen that some of the core audience tends to gravitate back to high-end PCs at some point because these are the people who want the finest graphical performance,” he said. “So here’s a great opportunity to have them stay within our ecosystem.

Weird that they bring PS Now to PC (which will eventually have PS1/PS2/PS4 games available) and fund the development of games that launch simultaneously on PC if they see that platform as a threat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah sounds like bullshit to me.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SUNKOS posted:

The PS4 Pro exists because Sony is scared of people jumping ship to PC later in the lifecycle of the PS4.

nah they want to sell more 400 dollar consoles to people that bought new tvs. the number of people who own a dedicated gaming pc is tiny compared to the madden/cod demo

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Picked up The Witness on sale, the game looks nice and the puzzles are overall neat, but a) the game is waaaay up its own rear end, b) a couple of the areas are too vague about how they work, and c) it's an enormous dick move to to both not allow you to complete the collectables on your first playthrough and wipe all your progress on collectibles when you start again. Got everything but the plat, but I'm not interested in taking that last step.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Edit: for some reason this didn't post the first time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Just got Tomb Raider for €7 on the sale and already it's better than UC4 yeah I said it

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

SUNKOS posted:

Please elaborate, but allow me time to get high first. :laugh:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SUNKOS posted:

They could do it too, IF they get hardcore about 60fps. That is seriously the only reason why I choose the PC for high end games, if they're available there.

edit: games already have to be higher frame rate to work with VR, so why not just extend that to their philosophy in general?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 8, 2016

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Please elaborate, but allow me time to get high first. :laugh:

if you get high enough please buy kof or gg and play with me

Just got Tomb Raider for €7 on the sale and already it's better than UC4 yeah I said it

its good yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Honestly if it makes the souls games run better and ffxiv I'll upgrade. gently caress it

• Locked thread