Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kwyndig posted:

Oh [tech villain], don't you know you could earn millions selling [tech] to ____ instead of committing petty theft?

comicbooks.txt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Superman and Supergirl both have super speed. Why don't they just take their clothes off real fast?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lobok posted:

comicbooks.txt

He doesn't want to cure cancer. He wants to turn people into dinosaurs.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

WickedHate posted:

What other comic book character has an amazing theme song by Green Jellÿ?

Green Goblin?

(Can't link youtube atm, but I think "Rock and Roll Pumpkins" was supposed to be his song.)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Travis343 posted:

He doesn't want to cure cancer. He wants to turn people into dinosaurs.

That's different and a motivation I can understand, for a crazy person. But guys in it for the money with self made super tech are just kind of stupid since they could at least sell it to other criminals instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But then people won't talk about how Kite Man totally crashed through their window and jacked their stuff!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Kwyndig posted:

That's different and a motivation I can understand, for a crazy person. But guys in it for the money with self made super tech are just kind of stupid since they could at least sell it to other criminals instead.

Isn't this basically Lex Luthor whenever he doesn't go all MUST KILL SUPERMAN crazy?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

Green Goblin?

(Can't link youtube atm, but I think "Rock and Roll Pumpkins" was supposed to be his song.)

Well, I'll be damned.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Kite Man probably did more property damage than the jewelry is worth. He's like those people that steal copper wiring and pipes to sell for pennies when most of the damage replacement cost isn't actually the materials.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

joehonkie posted:

Kite Man probably did more property damage than the jewelry is worth. He's like those people that steal copper wiring and pipes to sell for pennies when most of the damage replacement cost isn't actually the materials.

Did that Damage Control series ever do a story where one of the employees was a supervillain (or employed them) so that Damage Control would get more business? Insurance fraud, basically.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
So hey, this happened in Spidey #10.

That middle panel in the bottom row.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lobok posted:

Did that Damage Control series ever do a story where one of the employees was a supervillain (or employed them) so that Damage Control would get more business? Insurance fraud, basically.

Sort of? Damage Control got tied into the original Civil War by having the CEO actually giving supervillains power-enhancing drugs, so they'd do more damage and thus get DC more business. Which is apparently why Nitro's explosion at the beginning of Civil War was so huge: he was getting juiced by that CEO. Which also means that Civil War was sort of Damage Control's fault.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Oh Kite Man, don't you know you could earn millions selling glider rigs to extreme sports enthusiasts instead of committing petty theft?

I want there to be an issue of any hero book where the villains realize this and follows the wacky misadventures of them trying to hire employees and bypass bureaucracies.

So basically, another Ant Man book.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sort of? Damage Control got tied into the original Civil War by having the CEO actually giving supervillains power-enhancing drugs, so they'd do more damage and thus get DC more business. Which is apparently why Nitro's explosion at the beginning of Civil War was so huge: he was getting juiced by that CEO. Which also means that Civil War was sort of Damage Control's fault.

Which is a drat shame because a slice of life comic about everyday superpowered people is something I'd love to read.

It's one of the reasons I still adore Top 10.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wade Wilson posted:

So hey, this happened in Spidey #10.

That middle panel in the bottom row.

Jonah's running a paper again?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Lurdiak posted:

Jonah's running a paper again?

I'm not entirely sure what universe the Spidey comic takes place in, but seems to be re-treading a lot of the beats from the rose-tinted lense people look at the older cartoons with.

EDIT: It seems to be a slightly more optimistic comic if the writers don't immediately poo poo on him next issue.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't know about continuity, but it's set when Peter was still in high school. So even if it's the 616, it's when Jameson was still running a paper.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lobok posted:

comicbooks.txt

On Marvel's side there was that mini years ago, Secret War, which explained that quite a few villains were getting bankrolled by some lady in Latveria because it was disruptive to Western countries. They would rebuild and upgrade devices for criminals so they could rob banks and cause mayhem.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wade Wilson posted:

Isn't this basically Lex Luthor whenever he doesn't go all MUST KILL SUPERMAN crazy?

One of my favourite Superman/Luthor interactions is from a One Year Later story where Superman has been absent from Metropolis for a year but Luthor spent the entire time he was gone plotting against him for when he got back, and when Superman returned he showed up in Luthor's office and said, "You always said you could save the world if I wasn't around, and you had a year, so where's the cure for cancer, Lex?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kwyndig posted:

I remember there was a Doctor Octopus story once where some guy offered him a boatload of money because he was fascinated in the actual practical scientific applications of his mechanical arms. I think at one point he even says,"You made these with.... bionics?" and Doc's reply is,"Yeah I uhhh... I worked with what I had available to me at the time. :sweatdrop:"

Of course in the end it turns out the guy actually wanted to steal his tech and become the NEW Doc Ock, and Spidey and the old Doc Ock teamed up to take him down. But I did think it was a rather neat look at the idea of,"Holy poo poo the commercial applications of this poo poo you built to rob banks with is amazing!"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wheat Loaf posted:

One of my favourite Superman/Luthor interactions is from a One Year Later story where Superman has been absent from Metropolis for a year but Luthor spent the entire time he was gone plotting against him for when he got back, and when Superman returned he showed up in Luthor's office and said, "You always said you could save the world if I wasn't around, and you had a year, so where's the cure for cancer, Lex?"

If it had mattered to Lex, he could have saved the world years ago.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't it in Red Son where Luthor sort of eventually realizes he should just focus on making America better instead of sending killer robots after Superman all the drat time? I think that's one of the stronger aspects of that book, that Lex can make a real difference he's just too much of an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: even if it's still just a plan to get rid of Superman in the end

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Jerusalem posted:

I remember there was a Doctor Octopus story once where some guy offered him a boatload of money because he was fascinated in the actual practical scientific applications of his mechanical arms. I think at one point he even says,"You made these with.... bionics?" and Doc's reply is,"Yeah I uhhh... I worked with what I had available to me at the time. :sweatdrop:"

Of course in the end it turns out the guy actually wanted to steal his tech and become the NEW Doc Ock, and Spidey and the old Doc Ock teamed up to take him down. But I did think it was a rather neat look at the idea of,"Holy poo poo the commercial applications of this poo poo you built to rob banks with is amazing!"
To be fair, Doctor Octopus really did build the arms for their actual practical scientific application.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ghosthorse posted:

Wasn't it in Red Son where Luthor sort of eventually realizes he should just focus on making America better instead of sending killer robots after Superman all the drat time? I think that's one of the stronger aspects of that book, that Lex can make a real difference he's just too much of an rear end in a top hat.

Edit: even if it's still just a plan to get rid of Superman in the end

Yeah, Lex proves he can do it but he only does it to gently caress with Superman

And then when Superman is gone Lex keeps doing to prove to Superman's corpse just how awesome he is.

then it turns out Superman was a Luthor all along.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
There's gonna be a blow up!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

There's gonna be a blow up!

The radiation-meter has gone whacky!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please do not make fun of legitimate 1960's technos jargon

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Bruceski posted:

The radiation-meter has gone whacky!

"And in other news, today there was a big oopsy at the nuclear plant. Experts attribute the boner to Dr. Otto Octavius, who..."

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ghostlight posted:

2010's techno jargon is pretty good, too.

Same issue.

Spider-Gwen 11

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorilla Salad posted:

Which is a drat shame because a slice of life comic about everyday superpowered people is something I'd love to read.

It's one of the reasons I still adore Top 10.

Superiour Foes already existed. And ended.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

To be fair, Doctor Octopus really did build the arms for their actual practical scientific application.

I never fail to chuckle at Doc Ock controlling complex three-dimensional tendrils by moving his hand over 4 wheels on his chest.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Ghostlight posted:

I love it.

"oh."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I make fun of the way Kirby draws average people, but he does stark terror and other extreme emotions fairly well.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I'm reminded of that bit in the Tarnished Angel arc of Astro City where the main character visits the wife of one of his now passed on ex partners, a guy who had special power gloves he invented and used to rob banks on the reg. She lives in a run down ghetto home in a neighborhood filled with other ex-supercriminal families. He asks why they never took all the money he actually got away with at times and lived a better life, then she takes him to a secret room in the house that's a sterile, temperature controlled lab her husband used for making the gloves and explains how all the money was always funneled straight into making better power gloves.

A lot of these b and c tier superscience villains have this same sort of monomania, where their gimmick is more important than their success.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

joehonkie posted:

I love it.

"oh."
It's some good loving lettering on that.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

I'm reminded of that bit in the Tarnished Angel arc of Astro City where the main character visits the wife of one of his now passed on ex partners, a guy who had special power gloves he invented and used to rob banks on the reg. She lives in a run down ghetto home in a neighborhood filled with other ex-supercriminal families. He asks why they never took all the money he actually got away with at times and lived a better life, then she takes him to a secret room in the house that's a sterile, temperature controlled lab her husband used for making the gloves and explains how all the money was always funneled straight into making better power gloves.

A lot of these b and c tier superscience villains have this same sort of monomania, where their gimmick is more important than their success.

There's another stand-alone Astro City (Astro City is really really good) story where a guy pulls off a heist and celebrates with his wealth, but finds out that even though he got away everyone assumes that his theft was solved and whoever committed it was caught. Thus, he develops (or at least mimics) that sort of themed monomania in order to make a name for himself, because the attention, competition, and recognition are more important than the money.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I love the idea that Peter actually did try and market his tech and every place just told him "Nah, not good enough." Spidey's B and C list villains are smarter than he is. I also love the idea that Lex Luthor could be humanity's savior, but he's too big of a dick to actually bother.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

SonicRulez posted:

I also love the idea that Lex Luthor could be humanity's savior, but he's too big of a dick to actually bother.

At his most metaphorically moustache twirling, he took away his sister's paralyzing disesese and then gave it back to her literally seconds later just to prove the good Lex giveth and the good Lex taketh away.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

I love the idea that Peter actually did try and market his tech and every place just told him "Nah, not good enough." Spidey's B and C list villains are smarter than he is. I also love the idea that Lex Luthor could be humanity's savior, but he's too big of a dick to actually bother.

I would imagine selling super-tech is more difficult in a world where Tony Stark has to keep booze in the cupboard and Reed shits out a new piece of Kirbytech on his daily coffee break.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

To be fair, the web shooters have extremely limited application, for a person with ordinary strength, they'd only be useful for law enforcement.