Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Alright, so I'm new as gently caress at this game. If I want to say, transfer a hauler from 72 Opichui to Wolf 379 (where I'm at now), how does that work, and how will it change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

oRGy posted:

I mean, I get the :frontear: and making fun of spergs but some of the cognitive dissonance here is a bit, dunno, slap in the face. My feeling as to what happened reading Sandros post: They designed instant ship transfer because "barriers to fun are bad". This was the beginning and end of their thoughts on the matter. They most certainly did not do any internal A/B testing regarding this, and only realised that it might have downsides after reading reddit/forums and Braben then probably threw in his 2 pence.

This was something they had already tested internally, though, isn't it? Their in-house testers pretty much unanimously said "no delay is the way to go" and it's been the brown sea spergs getting up in arms and being extremely vocal about it that triggered this whole step back and reconsideration. Someone earlier in the thread pointed out that this is SRV fuel all over again, and it really is, except worse in every way.

SRV fuel, for all its faults, at least provides a resource to be "managed". While it's effectively a time limit on puttering around on the surface, it's easy to extend it with resources you gather by puttering around on the surface and the duration is sufficiently generous that I've never really had to worry about running out of fuel. Since you can just call your ship to come pick you up at any time, it's not like you have to track your fuel to make sure you have enough to make it back to wherever you parked or back to the surface base from which you disembarked. It's inoffensive currently

Significantly delaying ship transfers doesn't do anything to discourage rampant ship transfers that tweaking the cost formulas couldn't do, except it's less player friendly to people using cheap ships and expensive ships alike.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Alright, so I'm new as gently caress at this game. If I want to say, transfer a hauler from 72 Opichui to Wolf 379 (where I'm at now), how does that work, and how will it change?

Normally the way it works is you fly a ship - (optionally buy a cheap Sidewinder and fit it with an A-rank FSD for this purpose) - from where you are at now, over to 72 Ophiuci, then get in your Hauler (optionally selling your cheap Sidewinder) and fly it back.
The way it was sold was that you would instead just be able to pay a transfer fee to ship your hauler directly to wherever you are and then can get in and fly it around right away.
The way things appear to be going is that you still pay a transfer fee to ship your hauler directly to you, but it won't actually arrive for 5-60 minutes after you start the ship transfer. For reasons.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 7, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

LostCosmonaut posted:

The way it works right now is you fly your rear end to 72 Opichui and get your hauler and manually fly it to Wolf 379, leaving your other ship behind. There is no transfer right now.

The way we were hoping it would work, and the way they initially telegraphed, was that you would now pay a fee and your ship would be transferred, no waiting around.

The way it looks like it will end up working is that you pay a fee, and then wait around for long enough that you might as well have just trucked your rear end over to 72 Opichui and picked up the drat thing yourself. Although I guess at least you don't have to leave your old ship behind, if that helps you at all.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

legooolas posted:

I kicked it at the start. Did I not give them a sufficient amount of money to be able to tell then that they are wrong in the secret forum?

It was the "£300 or more" pledge level.

We've had goons here in the past that had access to said :airquote:"secret" design decision forum, and they've left the impression that it isn't any more influential than standard Brown Sea bitching.

That hasn't stopped it from being a boogeyman for people to blame regarding design choices they disagree with. :shrug:

EDIT: Here's a link to the DDF archive, which is visible to all forum users.

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 7, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I suspect if frontier just implemented the ability to transfer and said "Hey you can transfer your ships, and after a short period of time they will appear at the new station". No one would have really cared and would have appreciated the feature. But by creating this whole debate people are drawing battle lines and fighting like its a vote on going to war.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.

CapnBry posted:

Autohotkey script

This is awesome. Thank you. :)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:fap:

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Mouko posted:

This is awesome. Thank you. :)

Also from me. Danke Capnbry!

Totally missed this initially in the sea of transfer madness. Thankfully, the delay in getting it has only added to the enjoyment!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

I've got good money on the fact that frontier are already developing it one way and will completely disregard the poll.

Well, yeah. Sandro openly said as much - they've already decided to go with delays, and even if the poll comes down in favor of instant, he's reserved the right to ignore the poll if instant doesn't win by a "significant" enough margin or if he decides that the number of people voting didn't add up to a "significant" portion of the playerbase.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

CapnBry posted:

Wait... people play in Open Play? why? Do they like sitting outside the outpost Medium docking pad for 45 minutes while some guy AFKs in the hangar? Is it exciting to be blown to smithereens trying to come into station after a 20kly trip? Are RES boring unless you have to beat 5 other players to getting a hit in on the only spawned ship? Playing in Open Play brings annoyances, griefers, and spawn competition but on the plus side, sometimes the filled squares you see on the scanner are not filled! I play in open as often as I can because watching people try to dock is hilarious, but if I am doing anything productive it is on Solo Play because I don't want to wait for landing pads or get killed in 3 seconds with 2 hour's worth of cargo I spent mission board scumming to get.

I always play in open because it is really neat to see other players zipping around the ports going about their business and because you hardly ever get interdicted

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Goons wanting to be social?!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, yeah. Sandro openly said as much - they've already decided to go with delays, and even if the poll comes down in favor of instant, he's reserved the right to ignore the poll if instant doesn't win by a "significant" enough margin or if he decides that the number of people voting didn't add up to a "significant" portion of the playerbase.

Hopefully, it'll go down the same route as the Engineers: lots of talk and hype and discussion and then… absolutely pitiful usage because it turns out that artificial barriers are stupid and don't create good gameplay. So they'll scratch their heads as to why only 0.05 ships per player were transferred on average over the first few months in spite of it being such a heavily anticipated feature. And then they change it because maybe the initial implementation was a bit daft.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

orcane posted:

Another case study for why listening to a video game community can be a really stupid loving idea. What is wrong with people...

Space ship games interact with autism and other mental problems in special ways.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Tippis posted:

Hopefully, it'll go down the same route as the Engineers: lots of talk and hype and discussion and then… absolutely pitiful usage because it turns out that artificial barriers are stupid and don't create good gameplay. So they'll scratch their heads as to why only 0.05 ships per player were transferred on average over the first few months in spite of it being such a heavily anticipated feature. And then they change it because maybe the initial implementation was a bit daft.ignore it forever like Powerplay and CQC.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If ship transfer becomes instant... then why should I have to plot a course to get to Beagle Point, Jaques Station or the Formadine Rift? I should be able to insta-transfer to them because it takes way too many jumps and drags down my game-playing enjoyment! It isn't fair to people who only have 30 minutes of playtime. People won't have to use the insta-teleport mechanic if they don't want.

Also FD should tell us the whole story of E: D already; I don't have time to wait until they dole out "clues." It really affects my gameplay, not knowing what's going on.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also FD should tell us the whole story of E: D already; I don't have time to wait until they dole out "clues." It really affects my gameplay, not knowing what's going on.

So is whatshername, Avril, still Space Empress? I thought that was going somewhere end of last year.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

If ship transfer becomes instant... then why should I have to plot a course to get to Beagle Point, Jaques Station or the Formadine Rift? I should be able to insta-transfer to them because it takes way too many jumps and drags down my game-playing enjoyment! It isn't fair to people who only have 30 minutes of playtime. People won't have to use the insta-teleport mechanic if they don't want.

This but unironically. I've stopped playing altogether because there is absolutely nothing to do out at Jaques, I'm not flying that 22kly ever again, and I don't feel like losing my Conda.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Wow there's over a hundred new posts in the Elite thread! I wonder if it's a new CG or some more reveals about aliens or...

:(

But yeah, the best I can say is it's not like I'm any worse off for it. Elite is in desperate need of both quality of life features and content, but apparently they're going down a different direction.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

:sax:
I know this is an utterly newbie question but why to turreted weapons cost more than gimballed?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

sure, there's no middle ground between pointless tedium or just handing over everything in the game

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
the last 3 pages of this thread:

that thread on the fdev forums is the gift that keeps on giving

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

nice meltdown gif

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

haha you sure showed them how they were wrong about all the :spergin:s they were mocking :hfive:

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

PoorMoralCompass posted:

I know this is an utterly newbie question but why to turreted weapons cost more than gimballed?

Thanks guys :argh:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Prepare to have a lot of non-answered questions in this thread.

As far as I know (and I'm an Elite newb), you essentially pay for convenience/better tech. For fixed weapons, you have to be precise/accurate but you do more damage at a lesser cost. As you go into gimballed and turrets, you pay more, and you do less damage but can technically hit wider areas.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The grogs freaking out over instant ship transfer is probably the most fun that Frontier has implemented in the game thus far.

Complaint Compilation
Apr 8, 2016

Morter posted:

Prepare to have a lot of non-answered questions in this thread.

As far as I know (and I'm an Elite newb), you essentially pay for convenience/better tech. For fixed weapons, you have to be precise/accurate but you do more damage at a lesser cost. As you go into gimballed and turrets, you pay more, and you do less damage but can technically hit wider areas.

I figured that out slower than you did.:saddowns:
http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Weapons
Thx morter.

e- I know the info is there but this wiki is about as easy to comb through as something packed with information with little organization.

Complaint Compilation fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 8, 2016

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

magic mountain posted:

nice meltdown gif

it really is

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PoorMoralCompass posted:

To discourage you from using them. They do less damage but they can fire in any direction not obscured by your own ship. They have a particular niche use and they don't want new players to think they should start with them.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PoorMoralCompass posted:

Yeah it's basically to dis-

-maybe wait more than five posts when you're wading into the middle of a heated discussion with something unrelated huh

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Chrysophylax posted:

:siren: ATTENTION EVERYONE :siren:

There is an official vote on whether ship transfer should be instant or not. The thread can be found here and the poll can be found here.

The polling options are stupid grognard poo poo:

Don't let the :spergin: win

Voted delay, have fun grognards :cheers:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It isn't a meltdown when it's a statement of fact.

Go play in traffic.

Nice meltdown :nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

>yawn

Go away Knifegrab you're most low-effort troll in Games which is saying something.

Nice meltdown :allears:

loving lol how is this jackass a mod

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Chrysophylax posted:

I'm not concerned with transferring within the bubble. I don't want people running to places like Jaques with fast ships while there's a CG and then instantly bringing in their FDLs and killing everyone.
Some ships should be good at traversing large parts of space, and some should be bad at it. If we have instant transfer no matter the distance, suddenly all ships are equally good at getting to the other side of the galaxy. No thanks.
You do realize that a "fast" ship still takes days to fly that far, right? And that there's only one station that far outside the bubble?

Chrysophylax posted:

Dude, basically all of the balance for combat ships is centered around having a short jump range. Multirole ships only exist because there's a need to compromise between combat ability and exploration/cargo hauling ability. You don't want to wander too far into dangerous territory without having at least a little bit of power to fight back, right? At the same time, you give up long-range travel ability to be king of the hill in pure combat.
The longest-range ship in the game is an Anaconda. Millions of credits and hours spent are the only balancing factors in Elite.

Chrysophylax posted:

Delivering gold--Now you don't have to fly your massive short jumping type-9 3-5 jumps back to the station that has gold for sale. Get your hauler with max jump range, run to the supply station and insta-transfer your ship to you. Load up the type-9, jump to the station, sell your stuff, insta-deliver your hauler and fly back fast. Rinse/repeat. Reduces your jumps by 50%. Total exploit.
Remember that transfers also cost money. The clip they showed in the preview video showed a cost of 600,000 credits for a Beluga (for some unspecified distance). You'll probably be losing money on that deal.

quote:

After you get tired of that, have your combat anaconda delivered to you in seconds (even though it took 12 hours of play time to get there with 50 LY jump range). Murder all of the explorers in your insta-delivered death machine.
This already happens. Some dude was hanging around SagA* for a while killing anyone who showed up in Open Play.

FronzelNeekburm fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 8, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Well, I applied to the PGS group thing, gonna see what this game is like when it's not just me or one other person at most I hope.

It's a good solo game but the few times i just did open play all i did was dodge tons of interdictions in my Eagle while trying to go literally anywhere.

Speaking of my eagle. I miss my eagle. I may sell my asp scout and just go back to that lovely little thing.

They really should put new players in the eagle instead of the sidewinder. It has been my favorite ship so far. Given, I've only been in a few ships, but still.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Visit the PGS thread, sign up for frogs, join discord, get answers. Those might not all be in the right order. You're getting into the middle of a gamedev forumwar breakdown so this might not be the best place to get real answers for the next couple of days.

Frogs are fun. Join Frogs.

Ribbit.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Chrysophylax posted:

Jaques Station--haul your rear out there carrying 700 tons of cargo, scream back home a ship that goes 3x faster, same as above.

You realize the people competing in jaques station trade CGs sell their condas when they get there and take a one-way back to the bubble already, right?

Like what you're proposing is significantly slower than what people already do.

jnnnnn
May 31, 2013

MEL

Knifegrab posted:

I wish they just made all ships free, and eliminated open all together. Its kind of ridiculous they expect players to play the game in order to progress. Just give me everything from the get go.

That is actually a pretty good idea. It'd be great to just paste a Coriolis build into the game and just .... be in the ship. Same for Engineers.

It would be suddenly become practical to try out crazy builds. Players could spend time doing things that are actually fun: Mine asteroids or do trade runs to affect the BGS for a faction instead of for credits. Explore to save your name in a database table somewhere or appreciate the sub-par version of Space Engine that is this game's procgen. Play combat the way it was originally presented in the trailers, without all the waiting.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Well if single player was a thing then I could do whatever I want in my own bubble but nooooo

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

By the way, is there a good reason that i can't play this entirely offline? I may lose internet for a few days soon and im trying to make the most of this game in the meantime but for those days im gonna be reduced to No Man's Sky, a game i've had to jump through insane hoops just to get a stable framerate at a resolution less than my native, and... I just don't want to install the nvidia openGL drivers to see if that works, because nvidia says i shoudnt and i'm gonna take their word over a reddit post that swears they went from a 15fps crawl to a stable 60... this isnt the place to whine about NMS but i really feel hosed that i won't bea ble to enjoy the actually good space game i own when i lose my internet.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

hemophilia posted:

By the way, is there a good reason that i can't play this entirely offline? I may lose internet for a few days soon and im trying to make the most of this game in the meantime but for those days im gonna be reduced to No Man's Sky, a game i've had to jump through insane hoops just to get a stable framerate at a resolution less than my native, and... I just don't want to install the nvidia openGL drivers to see if that works, because nvidia says i shoudnt and i'm gonna take their word over a reddit post that swears they went from a 15fps crawl to a stable 60... this isnt the place to whine about NMS but i really feel hosed that i won't bea ble to enjoy the actually good space game i own when i lose my internet.

i believe it was originally going to have an offline mode then they figured out that no non-supercomputer could handle the galaxy generation and background simulation in a reasonable amount of time and thus we have the quasi-mmo...thing we have now.

Short answer: internet connection required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Isn't the internet side of this super low bandwidth? Like would it be fine to play using a tethered phone and you'd just have to wait slightly longer for station menus?

• Locked thread