Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well I'm at half mast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

holy god that might be the worst snipe i've ever done

or the best, take your pick

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Invasion and occupation of where?

I meant Libya, although "occupation" obviously does not apply to Libya. I meant "destabilization," but, you know. Muscle memory.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

lol @ people who still believe Iran has ICBMs capable of carrying nukes, let alone a nuclear weapons program

Meh, they want to be a threshold state. That's not illegal, and the U.S. and Israel need to not freak out about it, but still. It's a useful deterrence, if Israel's history is any indication.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Majorian posted:

I do. The problem is, you don't seem to get that there was a connection between a poorly-planned out invasion and occupation, and the resulting chaos and civil wars that ensued.

In Iraq absolutely since there was at most two whole months of stability after "mission accomplished".

In Libya no... or do you not get that there was a year between things being stable in Libya relative to them going through a civil war recently when she stepped down from SoS and the kick off of the second civil war in Libya.

You keep grasping at straws trying to tie Libya to Iraq when there is a poo poo load of difference between the two situations... but no keep saying how much you know about the subject. :allears:

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
People need to have more faith in Obama's Iran nuclear deal. It's a textbook example of diplomacy gone right.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Majorian posted:

No, but Russians be paranoid. They think it's a prelude to a larger BMD program, aimed at the U.S. asserting strategic supremacy.

To be fair...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hGLBA65tZg&t=91s

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

In Libya no...

Then you really don't know what you're talking about. The vacuum created by the U.S. intervention in 2011 led directly to the instability that kept a new effective government from forming, which in turn led to the current state of civil war. This isn't rocket science. The fact that there was a year of relatively low levels of violence does not mean that the civil war did not result from the invasion. I know you really, really don't want to admit this, but it's true. Clinton is partially responsible for this shitshow.

Ciaphas posted:

well I'm at half mast

Quoted for posterity.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Literally the third question from Matt Lauer was about the emails. :lol:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

People need to have more faith in Obama's Iran nuclear deal. It's a textbook example of diplomacy gone right.

:agreed:

Yup. It's amazing to think that anybody thought this wouldn't, you know. Just spur another arms race.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

hiddenriverninja posted:

Literally the third question from Matt Lauer was about the emails. :lol:

Is he going to let her talk? Or just just keep bringing up emails?

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Where the gently caress did those glasses come from!? It's like, he wasn't wearing glasses and then, BAM, it's glasses.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

Would have been more effective earlier, but we probably wanted to tie Iran's hands during the Arab Spring so we whacked them with moderately-facetious sanctions. Which I can't actually say was the wrong realpolitik decision for sure, they've been up to fuckery enough in Syria and Iraq.

I have some concerns that the hyperconservative dickbag faction in Iran will successfully torpedo it due to implementation hiccups in restoring Iranian international trade, but those hiccups are... not exactly beyond the US, but not immediately foreseen. Basically, banks and suchlike are pretty leery about dealing with Iran on the grounds that everything might burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp at a later date. (To massively oversimplify)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Kill yourself Matt Lauer. loving kill yourself you loser. gently caress OFF ABOUT THE EMAILS

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is a terrible line of questioning for her no matter how correct she is.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
To her credit I thought Hillary's answer was a perfectly reasonable answer.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Would have been more effective earlier, but we probably wanted to tie Iran's hands during the Arab Spring so we whacked them with moderately-facetious sanctions.

I have some concerns that the hyperconservative dickbag faction in Iran will successfully torpedo it due to implementation hiccups in restoring Iranian international trade, but those hiccups are... not exactly beyond the US, but not immediately foreseen. Basically, banks and suchlike are pretty leery about dealing with Iran on the grounds that everything might burn down, fall over, and sink into the swamp at a later date.

Yeah, that is a concern. Still, I think more than anything, Iran wants to stop being treated as a pariah state (well, okay, besides not getting invaded/bombed the US and Israel). Reneging on the agreement probably wouldn't help in that regard.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Motherfucker has same haircut as Bram Stoker's Dracula

God drat it, the next 20 minutes are going to be about emails.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Yoshifan823 posted:

This is a terrible line of questioning for her no matter how correct she is.

So how many non-email questions have we had tonight?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
This town hall is just going to be loving emails emails emails, christ

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lol this vet with the most planted question Ive heard.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Glumslinger posted:

So how many non-email questions have we had tonight?

We're at 0 right now, and I suspect that number won't go up until after the first commercial break.

This will only be worth it if they go as hard on Trump as they are on Hillary.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The scared pessimist in me keeps me worrying that the stupid loving email thing will somehow lead to her losing the election despite this thread's reassurances because people just won't stop asking about them :ohdear:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Relitigating the emails poo poo for the millionth time makes me just want to change the channel

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Yoshifan823 posted:

We're at 0 right now, and I suspect that number won't go up until after the first commercial break.

They won't

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And now we're on to her Iraq vote. Swell.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Yoshifan823 posted:

hey hey hey Lauer asked her what is the most important quality for a commander in chief to have

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Majorian posted:

Yeah, that is a concern. Still, I think more than anything, Iran wants to stop being treated as a pariah state (well, okay, besides not getting invaded/bombed the US and Israel). Reneging on the agreement probably wouldn't help in that regard.

I'm hoping that even the hyperconservative dickbags bow to practicality in that regard, yeah. I mean, heck, Ahmadinejad was the public point man for hyperconservative dickbaggery and his fall was ultimately because he was sufficiently dickbaggy and impractical that it was imperiling the non- or less-hyperconservative major players' cushy positions.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

hiddenriverninja posted:

hey hey hey Lauer asked her what is the most important quality for a commander in chief to have

Did he follow up by saying the correct answer is IT skills?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hiddenriverninja posted:

True. But still gently caress Matt Lauer.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yoshifan823 posted:

Lol I have a bridge to sell you

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I know this is kinda a hostile venue and all but jfc

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
So why wouldn't she, on this Iraq question, just also point out that "oh hey also the reasoning we used to justify our vote at the time were based on the packet of lies fed to Congress by the Bush administration, FYI." Why not bring that up?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/773674049155325953

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

rscott posted:

I know this is kinda a hostile venue and all but jfc

I can't wait to see how softball Trump's questions are.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Kilroy posted:

So why wouldn't she, on this Iraq question, just also point out that "oh hey also the reasoning we used to justify our vote at the time were based on the packet of lies fed to Congress by the Bush administration, FYI." Why not bring that up?

Im guessing endless days of "Hillary still blaiming Bush!"

Also it may be that people view her as someone who skirts away from being held responsibility, so she is taking it head on.

WampaLord posted:

"Mr. Trump, you said you want to end the military sequester. Does this mean you in fact support are troops?"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

WampaLord posted:

"So how many days are those generals going to have to get you those plans to defeat ISIS?"

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/rebeccashabad/status/773666821970984964

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Oh and also "we're totes not going to wars guys, just need the declaration in order for Saddam to take us seriously about weapon inspections :v:"

Is it just bad optics to bring this up?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

WampaLord posted:

Mr. Trump, how are you so awesome and wonderful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hillary I don't think the best response to a "progressive" asking you about your hawkishness is "well there's no difference between me and Trump on hawkishness"

• Locked thread