Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I hate real estate agents. You're all in the same building, the same company, the same server/everything. Why do each and every one of you have to be a unique snowflake? You need to use a Mac, you need to use google apps sync AND exchange, you need exchange but also icloud syncing with some other goddamn company. No you can't have your own printer, there's one we manage 10 feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

PremiumSupport posted:

I believe the LSI 2008 controller integrated on this board is hot-swap capable, but I'm not going to risk it. Mainly because I don't know which physical drive it is when I'm standing in front of the server. There are no serial numbers on the drive trays and none of the leds are off. My plan is to power down the server and pull each of the drives one at a time until I identify the missing serial number, swap the drive with the new one sitting on my desk, power it back on and pray.

Sounds like a good time to label the suckers so it's easier next time.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
hi everyone I can't talk about my outage today just trust me that it was fun and fulfilling issue that I finally got to put my skills to good use.

...for about an hour and a half, then six hours of boredom watching arp tables.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

wa27 posted:

That was sent to a group of six staff that were "hand-selected" by the CEO, a fact which she reminded us of immediately after that email went out. So yeah, off I go to lie about my company :iamafag:

Haha oh social media, you so crazy.

Time ago some bright spark thought it would be a neat idea to get everyone to post about the company "anonymously" on glassdoor, que someone slamming the company for being lovely and management going nuclear trying to find who did it.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

And our company says "hey review us on glassdoor if you want" and it's entirely positive :shobon:

It's sometimes hard to remember that not every job is a nightmare hellhole, especially reading this thread. I hope most of you get nicer jobs soon!! Especially you larches

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Project lead you're coding for: "I'll need you to buckle in for a full day of work. Come in early and leave late. You and I are going to get this DONE."

(Looks at watch at 10am): "Whoop, fantasy draft and pizza party time!"

Me: :what:

Project lead returns at 2:30: "Why isn't this dooone?!" :argh:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PremiumSupport posted:

I believe the LSI 2008 controller integrated on this board is hot-swap capable, but I'm not going to risk it. Mainly because I don't know which physical drive it is when I'm standing in front of the server. There are no serial numbers on the drive trays and none of the leds are off. My plan is to power down the server and pull each of the drives one at a time until I identify the missing serial number, swap the drive with the new one sitting on my desk, power it back on and pray.
Can't you tell the raid controller to flash the LEDs of the broken disk? I've never used LSI, but most arrays I've worked with has had some sort of disk identification function that you can trigger manually.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

PierreTheMime posted:

Project lead returns at 2:30: "Why isn't this dooone?!" :argh:

02:30 or 14:30?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Collateral Damage posted:

Can't you tell the raid controller to flash the LEDs of the broken disk? I've never used LSI, but most arrays I've worked with has had some sort of disk identification function that you can trigger manually.

I think from what he says the raid controller has totally lost the disk, but the lights on it are still lit.

Could work if you flash every LED and find the one not blinking in unison.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

just had to explain how to uninstall a program from Windows to my useless newest support person. I'm starting to understand why they got 0 on their technical exam

when I was showing her she said she hadn't had to do it since she had a 486 so wtf

mitra
Sep 27, 2012

between subtle shading, and the absence of light, lies the nuance of iqlusion

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Powershell is loving magical. I just automated one of the biggest mundane parts of our job into a search input that returns the relevant data in two seconds instead of digging through two colossal Excel spreadsheets.

Welcome to computing! UNIX has been doing this since 1979.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

mitra posted:

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

wa27 posted:

An email came in:

That was sent to a group of six staff that were "hand-selected" by the CEO, a fact which she reminded us of immediately after that email went out. So yeah, off I go to lie about my company :iamafag:

This kind of thing is usually against policy for reviewing companies. Perhaps you could submit both a review and a complaint to Indeed. You could even do it on the same day!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mitra posted:

Shut up, nerd.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

guppy posted:

This kind of thing is usually against policy for reviewing companies. Perhaps you could submit both a review and a complaint to Indeed. You could even do it on the same day!

Flagging your own review as fake. Brilliant, I love it!

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

mitra posted:

So your fancy UNIX scripts can pipe objects? :colbert:

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Everything is a text file, why would you need to? :v:

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 8, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/powershell-is-open-sourced-and-is-available-on-linux/

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

^^^ Ok had not seen that comming

thebigcow posted:

Everything is a text file, why would you need to?

Because parsing nested subobjects as text would make you suicidal?
Joke aside, the fact that you can pipe objects instead of text is what really makes Powershell so awesome to work with.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

thebigcow posted:

Everything is a text file, why would you need to?

Because it's a hell of a lot easier to do `get-thing | %{do-otherthing $_.field}` than it is to do `fdsdgfs | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | sed 's/boo/foo' | dsfargeg`, oops a random space in the output broke it.

Powershell owns, though the syntax is trash. It's like some bastard of Bash and Perl and has the most useless order of evaluations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

thebigcow posted:

Everything is a text filedata stream, why would you need to?

Ftfy.

And call me when you can actually pipe the hardware in windows (no one had ever needed to do this, but it's technically possible in Unix)

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

RFC2324 posted:

And call me when you can actually pipe the hardware in windows (no one had ever needed to do this, but it's technically possible in Unix)

I have some hardware you can pipe

Urit posted:

Powershell owns, though the syntax is trash. It's like some bastard of Bash and Perl and has the most useless order of evaluations.

The syntax is more similar to C# and I actually find it pretty easy to work with, why do you think its trash?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Urit posted:

Because it's a hell of a lot easier to do `get-thing | %{do-otherthing $_.field}` than it is to do `fdsdgfs | cut -d ' ' -f 2 | sed 's/boo/foo' | dsfargeg`, oops a random space in the output broke it.

I work at a mostly-Linux shop, but we also inherited a bunch of legacy Windows servers in a merger. And to all of us unix nerds, it can be really frustrating trying to figure out the overcomplicated powershell equivalents to simple one-liners. Man, what I wouldn't give just to have awk available...

Some of it is just that powershell is less familiar to us. But really what it boils down to is that we all think in bash, and are trying to translate the syntax to powershell on the fly. So we end up with stuff that would make any powershell guru wonder why the hell we approached the problem THAT way.

We're getting better about it, but mostly we're looking forward to the day the devs finish the (linux-based) replacements for these servers, and we can go all Office Space on the hardware. :)

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I think powershell is very readable, and generally the syntax can be switched around if you want to name your action or path before naming the object. Using flags like -Identity, -Path, -filter just seems way more intuitive and simple than bash's more common letter flags like -s, -P, -f. It's verbose as hell but so much easier to read than having to memorize or constantly look up option tables.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

I have some hardware you can pipe

The syntax is more similar to C# and I actually find it pretty easy to work with, why do you think its trash?

Because the language is a series of warts rather than something easy to use and unsurprising.

`$var` is not a C#-like syntax, and the ability to use variables as field names also reminds me of PHP (e.g. you can do $var."$($field)" where $field is = "x" and it looks up $var.x).

There's no "new" keyword (there's New-Object) which makes instantiating objects quite annoying, and it doesn't use anywhere near the same syntax for type casting (`[xml]$x` vs `(System.XmlDocument)x`)

Static calls are totally different syntax (`[Guid]::New()` or `[DateTime]::Now`) when compared to instance calls (`$somestring.Substring(5)` or `$date.AddDays(1)`)

There are a lot of problems around arrays and hashtables - for example, @() is not List<Object>, it's Object[] but has some magic property to it that allows += to work, but not the `Add` method:
code:
> $x = @()
> $x.Add("foo")
Exception calling "Add" with "1" argument(s): "Collection was of a fixed size."
> $x += "foo"
> $x
foo
Speaking of hashtables, if you want to foreach over a hashtable (@{}) you have to call $hashTable.GetEnumerator() for some insane reason before you have `$_.Key`/`$_.Value` but you don't need to do this for Arrays.

You can't do anything with .NET generics, and god help you if you ever try to use a .NET library that accepts returns generics, because you can't create those types in Powershell. Have fun doing your own type twiddling I guess.

Urit fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Sep 8, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I think powershell is very readable, and generally the syntax can be switched around if you want to name your action or path before naming the object. Using flags like -Identity, -Path, -filter just seems way more intuitive and simple than bash's more common letter flags like -s, -P, -f. It's verbose as hell but so much easier to read than having to memorize or constantly look up option tables.

Most bash commands do have long versions of the flags, but they tend to not be used because why would you want to type all those extra characters?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

RFC2324 posted:

Most bash commands do have long versions of the flags, but they tend to not be used because why would you want to type all those extra characters?

Tab-complete, it's 2016.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Inspector_666 posted:

Tab-complete, it's 2016.

Bash can do this, and zsh does it by default.

But at the end of the day tab complete is slower that just -t when i am slamming out commands as quick as i can.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

Tab-complete, it's 2016.
Can bash tab-complete command switches now?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

Urit posted:

There are a lot of problems around arrays and hashtables - for example, @() is not List<Object>, it's Object[] but has some magic property to it that allows += to work, but not the `Add` method:
code:
> $x = @()
> $x.Add("foo")
Exception calling "Add" with "1" argument(s): "Collection was of a fixed size."
> $x += "foo"
> $x
foo

Variables don't have methods or properties, the objects inside them do and your empty array has no objects. Powershell arrays are created with a fixed size, adding to them requires creating a new variable with the contents of the old one and the things you want to add which is what += is doing. I think there is another kind of array in the .net framework that is easier to use but I have very little practice with any of this and hopefully someone will come along to point out how wrong I am.

edit: try it with [System.Collections.Arraylist]$x = @()

edit2: PowerShell switches only require the fewest letters to unambiguously identify them. I have terrible memory and hate this and any aliases I can avoid unless I use them day in and day out.

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 8, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Depends on whether they've created a bash-completion script file for it. But, yes.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I dunno, I use Powershell :smug:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If you need more than Edlin I don't know what to tell you. :corsair:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Uhh, for those that haven't used it, jq is loving amazing.

jq + httpie 4lyfe

Example:
http get "https://some.api/path" X-Auth:someauth X-Auth-Key:apiKey Content-Type:application/json | jq '.result | .[] | .id | tostring' -r | xargs -n 1 -I {} http get "https://some.api/otherPath" X-Auth:someauth X-Auth-Key:apiKey Content-Type:application/json | jq '.result | .[] | .name'

Taken by stripping URLs and auth off a one liner that will traverse CloudFlare's API (we have dozens of zones) and give me a list of subdomains associated with an IP address.

I've also used jq to process several gigs data and it's pretty darn fast.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 8, 2016

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I'm a complete powershell novice, so I still feel unreasonably pleased with myself when something works.

As part of our 365 migration planned for this weekend, we wanted to put all our external contacts up. These are staff from companies we own but haven't yet taken over management of their email.
My boss tasked me and a colleague to divide them between us and slog through creating ~ 200 contacts in AD

I did a powershell :)

In related news, boss has vetoed our plan of using an Outlook configuration tool following the switchover because he doesn't trust it to work well enough. Haven't tested it enough myself to say if he's right, but the new plan is for him to write "really good" instructions to get 300 odd users to recreate their Outlook profiles themselves.

:stare: <-- me on hearing that

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

bitterandtwisted posted:

I'm a complete powershell novice, so I still feel unreasonably pleased with myself when something works.

As part of our 365 migration planned for this weekend, we wanted to put all our external contacts up. These are staff from companies we own but haven't yet taken over management of their email.
My boss tasked me and a colleague to divide them between us and slog through creating ~ 200 contacts in AD

In related news, boss has vetoed our plan of using an Outlook configuration tool following the switchover because he doesn't trust it to work well enough. Haven't tested it enough myself to say if he's right, but the new plan is for him to write "really good" instructions to get 300 odd users to recreate their Outlook profiles themselves.

Nice work on the contacts import, I literally just did the same with our Lotus Notes address book. Something cool about watching thousands of entries wizz through.

Can't you just use autoconfigure and gpo to set users profiles for them? Having anyone do it manually just sounds like you're going to get 299 calls to your helpdesk.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So today I went onsite to a client, to discover that their warehouse now has 3 separate WAN connections inside of it, all going point to point at the firewall level with each other. When I asked why, apparently they didn't want to pay for cabling. I just... no. :negative:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

So today I went onsite to a client, to discover that their warehouse now has 3 separate WAN connections inside of it, all going point to point at the firewall level with each other. When I asked why, apparently they didn't want to pay for cabling. I just... no. :negative:

:psyboom:

I...

wat?

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
One company, in a single building decided that instead of paying a company (presumably ours) to run wires from the three internal offices , would instead purchase Internet service three separate times in order to provide network access. Apparently they just recently purchased the third line and were wondering why they couldn't connect to the internal server (They didn't tell us and didn't have a third VPN appliance.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

We pay MigrationWiz 2 bucks per user to use DeploymentPro for the users to basically click Next a few times and automagically have their Outlook profiles recreated. It's awesome.

• Locked thread