Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Well I mean it's now legal precedent that police don't have an obligation to protect and serve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Intruder posted:

Well I mean it's now legal precedent that police don't have an obligation to protect and serve

Scalia lived way too loving long.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

cravius posted:

Until you need them lmao

I don't need killers and abusers actually.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Chippy announced today that Kaepernick doesn't have to get up after the anthem is over

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Coldforge posted:

Scalia lived way too loving long.

What does he have to do with Warren vs District of Columbia?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe he was just speaking in general.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A.o.D. posted:

What does he have to do with Warren vs District of Columbia?

I was thinking of a fairly recent Supreme Court case involving a restraining order. But I'm also not a lawyer, and not much of a pedant, so :cheers:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Coldforge posted:

I was thinking of a fairly recent Supreme Court case involving a restraining order. But I'm also not a lawyer, and not much of a pedant, so :cheers:

Oooh, which one? I love reading about terrible Supreme Court decisons.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

A.o.D. posted:

Oooh, which one? I love reading about terrible Supreme Court decisons.

This is the one I had in mind, http://mobile.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect.html

quote:

Although the protective order did mandate an arrest, or an arrest warrant, in so many words, Justice Scalia said, "a well-established tradition of police discretion has long coexisted with apparently mandatory arrest statutes."

Apparently, recent for me is now around a decade. Yay.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if someone uses the military to argue against a protest they should be given a wedgie.

if someone feels any more of any emotion about Kaep having a seat than, say, Tamir Rice getting shot and killed, they should realize they are part of the reason people feel protesting is necessary.

thanks those are my hot takes have a good evening.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Look, the police are the enforcement arm of the political class in this country, and they do not represent your interests. This is the way it's always been, and the party you vote for has no interest in fixing this.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I wonder what the %s are for how many of these shootings were not controversial in the slightest. 80% 90%?

lol, just because they don't catch a hashtag doesn't mean they're not controversial. and these aren't even "police shootings", these are only the police shootings that resulted in a fatality. I doubt you could even find national numbers on police shootings without a team of graduate assistants.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

A.o.D. posted:

Look, the police are the enforcement arm of the political class in this country, and they do not represent your interests. This is the way it's always been, and the party you vote for has no interest in fixing this.

Guess we should just let them do whatever then.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CubanMissile posted:

Guess we should just let them do whatever then.

Why should we stop now?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
I posted on twitter using the vets for kaepernick hashtag thing and I don't know how celebrities put up with this poo poo. Constant e-mails and notifications about being retweeted and liked.

gently caress Colin Kaepernick for the time I had to spend figuring out how to turn off these notifications.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Grem posted:

I posted on twitter using the vets for kaepernick hashtag thing and I don't know how celebrities put up with this poo poo. Constant e-mails and notifications about being retweeted and liked.

gently caress Colin Kaepernick for the time I had to spend figuring out how to turn off these notifications.

I had a dumb meme get retweeted by several CBSSports.com guys last year and I wanted to rip my ears off to stop getting the notification noises from entering them

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
WARNING LOWELL COHN DRIVEL

The 49ers made a football decision to keep Colin Kaepernick, strictly speaking. They made the wrong football decision, strictly speaking.

First, let’s get things straight. Kaepernick made his status on the team complicated when he didn’t stand for the national anthem at the third and fourth exhibition games and, it turns out, at the two previous games — almost no one knew about the first two games. Just about everyone defends his prerogative not to stand, and just about everyone agrees it’s good to call attention to the plight of minorities, notably the killings of young black men by some police officers.

Those are crucial issues in our society, but they are not football issues. For Kaepernick, football issues come first. As trivial as this may sound, Kaepernick is a football player on a football team and, until the 49ers retained him on Saturday, his football future was up for grabs. It still may be.

Please see his “case” in the context of football, where it belongs. He was not a social activist until quite recently. But he has been a football player a long time, a member of 49ers since 2011.

This is a football story only. This story is at the heart of football. The 49ers should have cut him for the good of the team.

As a football player, he is causing strife. A player is never supposed to cause strife even for the noblest reasons, and it’s not entirely clear what Kaepernick’s deep-down reasons are. They may not be clear to him.

The other day, the Santa Clara police said they may not provide security at 49ers games if the Niners don’t discipline Kaepernick. They are offended by Kaepernick’s statements about police, by Kaepernick’s generalizing about police brutality. Making it seem all police are bad people, even though Kaepernick says he did not mean that.

And the police are offended Kaepernick wore socks with pictures of police as pigs. When I went to Stanford in the socially impassioned ’60s, radical students called police “pigs of the power structure.” Kaepernick’s socks call police that name even if Kaepernick doesn’t understand that. The police have every right to be angry at him.

Kaepernick is causing the 49ers strife in their community.

Then there’s the issue of the team, the football issue, the most important issue, the only issue.

To be precise, it’s the issue of team unity. The relation between races is the most intense, most troubling, most divisive concern in our country. You can bet it’s serious on the 49ers. When Kaepernick refused to stand for the anthem at the fourth exhibition game in San Diego — when people knew in advance he wouldn’t stand — Eric Reid kneeled with him. But other 49ers stood at attention, some with hand over heart. When the singer was done, some players applauded.

What does that mean?

It means two camps are forming — have formed already. These are not casual camps. These are not camps debating how to tie shoelaces or discussing the number of angels that can dance on the head of a pin. These camps feel passionately about the anthem and police actions toward African-Americans. Players are on one side or the other, no middle ground, no easy compromises. This is the San Andreas Fault running down the middle of the team.

The 49ers never should have allowed this fault to develop. They had a choice. They should have headed off Kaepernick long ago. Or released him on cut-down day.

Here’s what my friend Ira Miller wrote for The Sports Xchange about Kaepernick and the Niners:

“Football is the ultimate team game, and no matter what you think of a play, a player, a plan or a gesture, success in football requires everybody on a team sacrificing their individuality for the team’s goals. Players rarely are allowed to do what they want if it impacts the team. Simple as that. And there is no question Kaepernick’s sit-down impacts the 49ers. In a game so strongly focused on ‘team,’ players frequently subjugate their own thoughts and beliefs for the team’s benefit.”

Coaches go to extremes to create team unity. Bill Walsh told me he would be happy for the players to dislike him — as long as they disliked him together. That way they would bond as a team, spit in Walsh’s eye as a team. Walsh told me some coaches intentionally make players hate them as a bonding mechanism for them.

It is said Jim Harbaugh portrayed 49ers management as the enemy, whether or not he believed that. He needed an enemy for a players’ rallying point. A good football team fights together as a unit, does not fight internally.

Chip Kelly has not shown he understands this. He never should have allowed Kaepernick to take such a prominent role in the team’s narrative, should not have allowed Kaepernick to write the narrative. The tail wagging the dog. Kelly has been criticized for lacking a sense of human relations, for not understanding what keeps a team together. This episode does not improve his reputation.

Kelly spoke to the media by phone on Saturday. I asked if he’s concerned Kaepernick will be divisive.

“When he’s here at 4949, he’s all about football and all about work,” Kelly said. That statement is demonstrably untrue.

Another reporter asked if Kelly is concerned about the bad national attention Kaepernick and the 49ers will get every week.

“How he’s been with us,” Kelly said, “I have no issues with Kap at all.”

He should.

After Ira Miller sent me his article, we spoke on the phone.

“Would Bill let this happen?” he asked me. He meant would Bill Walsh allow the whole Kaepernick thing to occur.

“No,” I said with absolute conviction.

“Bill never would have let it come to this,” Ira said. “He didn’t let things fester. Chip Kelly said Kaepernick can do whatever he wants. What’s up with that?”

Indeed. What exactly is up with that?

:jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag::jerkbag:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

"bill walsh never would have disagreed with my stance"

"indeed *nods sagely*"

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

They should get the cops to shoot that dumbass that wanted jeff driskel over anybody

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Grem posted:

If you're verified you don't have to put up with any of that. Also who the gently caress doesn't turn off email notifications?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDUEqMGUwcI

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
megan rapinoe knelt at her most recent soccer (football??) game. owns

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

v2vian man posted:

megan rapinoe knelt at her most recent soccer (football??) game. owns

a question

will the media not mention it because she's white or because its womens soccer

*smokes pipe*

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

a question

*smokes pipe*

"The media" has already mentioned it many times.

Also:
https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/772774450387415040

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

a question

*smokes pipe*

It's definitely getting less attention because it's not NFL.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also:

Haha, you can always count on Bomani to find the fun places in twitter, even if he isn't actively commenting on them.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Mel Mudkiper posted:

a question

*smokes pipe*

Freeper types will focus on the fact that she looks like a filthy lesbian. Book it.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also:

I'll never be ashamed of my fellow gays (TFFers).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FIRST TIME posted:

Freeper types will focus on the fact that she looks like a filthy lesbian. Book it.

I can't imagine that many Freepers are aware women's soccer exists.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

WOMEN CAN PLAY WHAT????

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Skwirl posted:

...but they're, like, wearing lingerie, right?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

FIRST TIME posted:

she is a lesbian so

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

v2vian man posted:

she is a lesbian so

Yeah, I was too lazy to look up her sexual preference.

It's not like it would matter to alt-righters whether she was an out and about lesbian or she just has a short haircut.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
How dare she have a problem with the gay paradise that is these United States!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think kap's jersey is now the best selling non Tebow backup player jersey in history. So that's nice at least.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SheilKapadia/status/773640538130112512

:hawksin:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

nfc west solidarity sinks all its inhabitants as they become soft

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Well they owe their Rings to him, it's only fair.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Oh drat, Sunday is September 11th too.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

seiferguy posted:

Oh drat, Sunday is September 11th too.

It's OK, Pete wants his players to just ask questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Glad to hear that good players who've actually won a superbowl are joining Kaepernick's protest.

• Locked thread