Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

While we're at it, might I suggest everyone watch West Wing, the Wire, Scandal, Alpha House, Yes Minister, Veep, and House of Cards :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

(OOC: anyway I should probably post my team but that's about all I can do for the night, hello migraine my old enemy)

Staffers

Military advisor

Radicals and Hippies

Mormons

Land grant heirs, ranchers, farmers, etc.

(may add more later idk ow)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kevin Young, Chief of Staff

Tentative Appalachia/Tejas proposal

Reach out to other delegates for more states
Vacancy replacement system
Overturning citizens united
Mathematically designed districts
Voting method other than FPTP

With me so far?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm a little tired and will come up with a nerd staff later. Anyway, here is Cascadia's top 5 proposals:

1) Revision of terms on congressmen (go from 2 year term to 4 years)
Congressmen serve 2 years and have to spend a lot of time campaigning for reelection. This is a costly venture and requires time spent campaigning and not listening to the delegates. I propose we revise terms from 2 to 4 years.

2) Redrawing of State lines: splitting Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon to be absorbed by Idaho
Current state borders are not in line with how citizens want their tax dollars spent. For example, Washington State tax policy is heavily driven by taxes from Seattle, but statewide taxes are not aligned with the tech and aerospace sectors on the west side, and the agriculture on the right side. This goes the same for Oregon, which could have both Eastern borders become one with Idaho.

3) Expansion of statehood for DC / Puerto Rico
Self-explanatory.

4) Revising the National Anthem from the Star Spangled Banner to America the Beautiful
Seriously, the Star Spangled Banner is awful. Who picked it? America the Beautiful is much more patriotic :911:

5) Revision to the bill of rights to allow legalized marijuana federally
Legalize it, so that it may be made into a sin tax.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Loel posted:

Kevin Young, Chief of Staff

Tentative Appalachia/Tejas proposal

Reach out to other delegates for more states
Vacancy replacement system
Overturning citizens united
Mathematically designed districts
Voting method other than FPTP

Tenative approval list: Loel, Randompaul, seiferguy? Rafza? quorum? Just going by your posted platforms

cat_herder
Mar 17, 2010

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Loel posted:

Tenative approval list: Loel, Randompaul, seiferguy? Rafza? quorum? Just going by your posted platforms

sounds good to me.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

K, that puts us at

quote:

Proposal Voting districts at all levels shall be redistributed via algorithm for optimally compact and equal populations.
Proposal Campaigning will be permitted three months prior to the election, and voting may begin two months prior. In this way, primaries would be six months before the general, with voting for the primary being 3-5 months prior to the general.
Proposal Citizens United is overtuned
Proposal Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels. (Schulze method)
Proposal In the event of presidential elections, the electoral votes shall be distributed by proportion of population. (Winning 53% of votes means winning 53% of electoral college)
Proposal After these changes take place at the next election, all federal appointee slots (judges et al) must be filled within 90 days of their vacancy. Should Congress fail to fill vacancies within 90 days, the executive branch reserves the right to fill vacancies in their stead. Clarification on some points will be written by RandomPaul
Proposal Statehood is granted to DC, Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Navaho

Yes: Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder
Probably: Seiferguy, Rafza, Quorum, Elmnt80

Loel fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 7, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Exasperated lawyer

Email with draft statehood proposal to delegates from CA, Texas, LA. 1 am. posted:

Okay, got the notes at 8pm, it’s 1am now. Here's how I've reconciled things. This should pass muster but IANAL. Well, I am, but other lawyers should go over this first.

[attachment=10]

Reply from Tejas, 1:05 am posted:

I think I already got the votes!

Exasperated lawyer

Reply to Tejas, 1:06m. posted:

But...that’s not enough time to discuss things. That’s not even enough time to read that and think it through. Did you do this with the other, I mean, did you even…? Nevermind. I’m going to bed. I’m sure you mean already got it on the agenda.

(OOC: I'm happy with fluff and benefited from the pustch it's not fair for us to railroad things. We make our positions known to the speaker, the speaker establishes the agenda.)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I do not yet have the votes.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ooc: Ya'll mother fuckers post way too many words about things.

You've got way too many territories in there that do not qualify for statehood in that list. I'm open to DC and puerto rico, but thats it. As far as I am aware, the other territories in that list have not expressed a desire for formal statehood or even begun the process.

Also, changing to schultz style elections for the presidential elections alone is cumbersome and obtuse, not unlike the method itself. Change for the sake of change is not something I will abide by.

And gently caress your electoral college. I will not stand by and let them choose another president against the will of the people. Direct elections for president or nothing. :colbert:

Edit: oh, uh, blame being half asleep, but I'll agree to the rest of it

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 7, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Proposal Statehood is granted to DC, and Puetro Rico

4/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Elmnt80

Proposal In the event of presidential elections, the electoral votes shall be distributed by proportion of population. (Winning 53% of votes means winning 53% of electoral college, effectively destroying the college)

Proposal Voting districts at all levels shall be redistributed via algorithm for optimally compact and equal populations.

Proposal Campaigning will be permitted three months prior to the election, and voting may begin two months prior. In this way, primaries would be six months before the general, with voting for the primary being 3-5 months prior to the general.

Proposal Citizens United is overturned

Proposal After these changes take place at the next election, all federal appointee slots (judges et al) must be filled within 90 days of their vacancy. Should Congress fail to fill vacancies within 90 days, the executive branch reserves the right to fill vacancies in their stead. Clarification on some points will be written by RandomPaul

Proposal Statehood is granted to Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Navaho

3/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder

Proposal Voting shall be done via instant-run off method at all levels. (Schulze method)

Proposal Abolish the Senate, all powers moved to the House

0/6

Loel fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 7, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Elmnt80 posted:

Ooc: Ya'll mother fuckers post way too many words about things.

And gently caress your electoral college. I will not stand by and let them choose another president against the will of the people. Direct elections for president or nothing. :colbert:

In return for the electoral college, would you feel inclined to support the voting districts change?

quote:

Edit: oh, uh, blame being half asleep, but I'll agree to the rest of it

Splendid. Above poll edited accordingly.

Loel fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 7, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
(OOC, are we agenda setting or voting for amendments?)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Outside observer: Why would Tejas support non-gerrymandered districts? I feel like some representatives with heavily-gerrymandered state districts are arbitrarily or artificially creating the political will to shift to algorithmic least-convex districts. How can you sell it not just to your constituents, but to yourselves?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

The only thing going on this week is hashing out what your top five things are, and whether we change a c to an s in the preamble, unless you want more radical changes to the preamble. Sep 12 is when the craziness starts

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Loel posted:

Yay.

quote:

Proposal In the event of presidential elections, the electoral votes shall be distributed by proportion of population. (Winning 53% of votes means winning 53% of electoral college,
effectively destroying the college)

Nay. The current Electoral College has it's benefits that were in place were for a reason. Cascadia cannot support this.

quote:

Yay.

quote:

Yay. Election campaigning is too much stress on the American public.

quote:

Yay. A constitutional amendment to ban actions created by the CU decision is necessary.

quote:

Undecided: does this cover Supreme Court judges?

quote:

Proposal Statehood is granted to Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, and Navaho

Nay, besides Puerto Rico (which is covered in my 1st vote alongside DC)

quote:

Undecided. I'm unsure the general American public is smart enough to understand the Schulze method!

quote:

0/6

Nay. Are you kidding me?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Who's supplying the copious amounts of booze for this convention? It is in my interests that they are purchased from Tidewater-region alcohol makers.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The delegation staff from the Tidewater is mildly delayed thanks to traffic on I-95, but having already introduced its platform, will be making personal introductions and commenting on proposals as soon as practical.

OOC: I've got a couple very long days at work this week so I'll be making an effort post about stuff later tonight!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

VanSandman posted:

Who's supplying the copious amounts of booze for this convention? It is in my interests that they are purchased from Tidewater-region alcohol makers.

Tidewater is welcome to provide cartons of their fantastic tobacco products, but all bourbon is to be supplied from Appalachia's stores of Pappy Van Winkel and Maker's Mark.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Loel posted:

Proposal Statehood is granted to DC, and Puerto Rico

We are for this, but...

Loel posted:

Proposal Statehood is granted to Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Virgin Islands, and Navaho

Nay,. Statehood is infeasible for the small populations of Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Virgin Islands. Instead, political self-determination in some form is necessary. There is an estimated ~3.8m population between American Samoa, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, Northern Mariana Islands, and Puerto Rico, without the capability to vote at a federal level (except for the one nonvoting delegate PR can vote for). We would rather repurpose this proposal to grant full constitutional rights to the territories, and lessen the distinction between state and territory.

Loel posted:

Proposal In the event of presidential elections, the electoral votes shall be distributed by proportion of population. (Winning 53% of votes means winning 53% of electoral college, effectively destroying the college)

We are indifferent, leaning towards nay. Most of the territories have no electoral representation anyways; Hawaii and Alaska, however, do, and as Cascadia pointed out, the EC has its uses.

Loel posted:

Yea.

Loel posted:

Yea.

Loel posted:

Yea.

Loel posted:

Nay, with the request that the period be extended to six months / 180 days.

Loel posted:

We are indifferent / undecided on this matter.

(ooc: i do not know enough about the schulze method to make a claim either way, will report back on this)

Loel posted:

Nay, lol.

Also, introducing the Kalakaua team:

Main Delegate Kimo Kalanianaʻole:

(picture to come, apparently the forums do not like kalakaua.)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

I put my 5 up above, so right now Im just horse trading for the upcoming Article 1 week.

Potato Salad posted:

Outside observer: Why would Tejas support non-gerrymandered districts? I feel like some representatives with heavily-gerrymandered state districts are arbitrarily or artificially creating the political will to shift to algorithmic least-convex districts. How can you sell it not just to your constituents, but to yourselves?

Gerrymandering allows/encourages +20 R or +20 D 'safe' districts, to ensure a majority of whatever party is ruling at the time. However, it has the side effect of having increased radicalization/polarization within those districts, meaning that you have whoever can appeal to the most Democratic or most Republican citizens within their district - and acting in an extreme manner once they get to the legislature. It is the goal of Tejas to get a more moderate/centrist approach, one that can, yknow, actually pass a bill or vote on a Judge. If Congress had been working correctly, they wouldn't need us to fix it.

supported posted:

6/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Elmnt80, seiferguy, rafza

6/6 Loel, RandomPaul, Cat_herder, Elmnt80, seiferguy, rafza,

seiferguy posted:

That is my intent, yes. Historically, 90 days has been enough http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/13/us/how-long-does-it-take-to-confirm-a-supreme-court-nominee.html?_r=0

Proposal Statehood is granted to Samoa, Guam, Mariana, Virgin Islands, and Navaho

0/6

Loel fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 7, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

seiferguy posted:

Rafza posted:

Nay, with the request that the period be extended to six months / 180 days.

Would the delegates find 180 days an acceptable compromise?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Outside observer: I get how gerrymandering is polarizing -- but how are you going to handle politicians whose safe districts you've eliminated back home? I ask because I'm interested in seeing how this would play out today specifically where many state legislatures are hugely imbalanced red or blue (though mostly red) when compared to popular vote. State legislators and federal House reps worked hard with their parties to gerrymander those districts and slowly influence resident composition. What's to keep them from killing you politically or, frankly, biologically?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Potato Salad posted:

Outside observer: I get how gerrymandering is polarizing -- but how are you going to handle politicians whose safe districts you've eliminated back home? I ask because I'm interested in seeing how this would play out today specifically where many state legislatures are hugely imbalanced red or blue (though mostly red) when compared to popular vote. State legislators and federal House reps worked hard with their parties to gerrymander those districts and slowly influence resident composition. What's to keep them from killing you politically or, frankly, biologically?

Frankly, I value America more than my own life or career. We need to fix this to have a functioning country.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
As a citizen of the CSA, I will weigh in. :heritage:

Replace non-Medicaid/care welfare with negative income tax: you'll probably have to enshrine this as a constitutional amendment to prevent idiots from loving with it and wasting more taxpayer money in the process, because homelessness is an expensive phenomenon.

Protect the Citizens United decision: overturning CU would shoot Mack truck-sized holes in the 1st and 14th amendments. No sell. You are guaranteed the right to speak, you are not guaranteed the right to an audience *or* the same ease of acquiring that audience as someone else, because that's how free association works.

Work to multilaterally eliminate nuclear weapons: pass a resolution stating the U.S. will work towards disarmament treaties worldwide but that we won't give up our last nuclear weapons until everyone else has done so.

Second Amendment: replace the 2A with an amendment banning victimless crimes in relation to recreational drugs, alcohol, prostitution, and any weapons except internationally recognized WMDs.

Ban coal power plants, replace primarily with nuclear to handle deep load power demands with some renewables on the side: perhaps an environment/air quality amendment would be in order? This could save tens of thousands of lives per year. Open to thoughts on this.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

A large media campaign about how we need to undo liberal democrat gerrymandering, giving me popular support.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
(OOC, should I post the Tejas/Appalachian drafts for the different proposals?)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

(OOC, should I post the Tejas/Appalachian drafts for the different proposals?)

OOC: Just the ones that have 6/6 votes, the others we're still arguing over.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Amendments regarding the vote and representation

Amendment #A - Respecting the Popular Vote
[modification of existing proposal]

Section 1. The President and Vice President shall be elected by the people of the several States and the district constituting the seat of government of the United States.

Section 2. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of Senators and Representatives in Congress from that State, except that the legislature of any State may prescribe less restrictive qualifications with respect to residence and Congress may establish uniform residence and age qualifications.

Section 3. The election of the President, Vice President, Senators, and Representatives shall be determined by (popular vote/preferential vote/concurrent vote).

Section 4. Names of Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates may not be joined unless they shall have consented thereto and no candidate may consent to the candidate's name being joined with that of more than one other person.

Section 5. The Congress may by law provide for the case of the death of any candidate for President or Vice President before the day on which the President-elect or Vice President-elect has been chosen, and for the case of a tie in any election.

[Comment: I was thrown by the use of "for the case" at first, oh well.]

Section 6. This article shall apply with respect to any election for President and Vice President held after the expiration of the 1-year period which begins on the date of the ratification of this article.

Amendment #B - Protecting the Integrity of the Personal Vote and the Electoral Process

Section 1. The congress and the states shall collaborate to ensure the security, integrity, and accessibility of the electoral process.

Section 2. The congress shall also establish the creation of a national voter identification card. This card shall be recognized as a means to verify one’s eligibility to vote in local, state, and federal elections in those areas which require a form of identification.

Section 3. The congress shall not place undue burdens on individuals who lawfully seek a national voter identification card.

Section 4. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Amendment #C - Ensuring Full Representation

Section 1. In recognition of the founders intent to maintain a close relationship between the representatives and their constituents, the number of persons a representative may represent shall not exceed 500,000 people.

Section 2. Voting districts at each level of government shall be mathematically made to be optimally compact, with respect to equal population and demographic makeup.

[Potential problem: What does this do to special districts? Either the legislature fixes this or the courts do.]

Amendment #D - Representation For the District of Columbia

The District of Columbia shall become eligible to apply for statehood and the United States Government shall respect any future votes by it's citizens in favor of it's statehood. Until such time, one representative shall be granted to the District of Columbia.

Amendment #e1 - The Territories , Tejas statehood version

Section 1. The United States Government acknowledges that territorial status for permanently populated regions serves as a transitional state between statehood or independence.

Section 2. All individuals born on on the American territories shall be considered American Citizens.

Section 3. The unincorporated territories of American Samoa, Guam, and The Northern Mariana Islands are to hold a binding referendum on their status as territories within three years time. The referendums shall allow for joint statehood, compacts of free association, or full independence. The United States Government shall immediately honor the results of that referendum.

[Context. These three territories have populations of 55k, 159k, and 77k respectively. A combined population smaller than Wyoming. The average US county has a pop of 100k. Making each territory it’s own state would give them extremely disproportional power in the US Senate. So for practical purposes either they should all become a state with disproportionate power in the US senate or none becomes a state.

Explanation: A compact of free association is independence with legal expectations between the US and COFA nations. It’s like friends with benefits.]

[Potential problem: What if two want to become a state and one wants independence?]

Section 4. The unincorporated territories of Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands are to hold a binding referendum on their status as territories within three years time. The referendums shall allow for joint statehood, compact of free association, or full independence. The United States Government shall immediately honor the results of that referendum.

[Context. Puerto Rico has a population of 3.5 million, the United States Virgin Islands has a population of 100k. See above for additional information.]

Section 5. One delegate shall be offered to each present or future signatory to the Compact of Free Association.

[Explanation. A delegate is a member of the house of representatives with a voice and a vote on committees, but no votes on the floor of the house. This is a way to partially redress the fact that we haven’t done a good job of honoring COFA commitments lately...]

Amendment #e2 - The Territories Act, the Appalachia enhanced representation version

Section 1. The United States Government acknowledges that territorial status for permanently populated regions serves as a transitional state between statehood or independence.

Section 2. All individuals born on on the American territories shall be considered American Citizens.

Section 3. The unincorporated territories of American Samoa, Guam, and The Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin islands shall jointly share representation in the House of Representatives as if they were a single state.

[Context, this means 8 reps as of 2010 census. Pacific territories get one representative, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands get 7.]

[Potential Problem, If Puerto Rico votes to become a state and Virgin Islands doesn’t opt to join Puerto Rico things will get awwwwwkward]

Amendment #f - Representation for the Native Peoples in the Federal Government.

Section 1. The Navajo Nation shall become eligible to apply for statehood should they so desire. Until such time one representative shall be granted to the Navajo Nation should they so desire.

Section 2. The remaining combined federally recognized Native Reservations shall be granted 3 representatives, should they so desire. The tribal governments, united states legislature, and united states executive shall collaborate to determine the distribution of representation.

[Comment: Tribal inhabitant might be the wrong word.]

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
where the f is the honorable gentleman from New England? Did he die of a festering cane wound on the floor?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Defenestration posted:

where the f is the honorable gentleman from New England? Did he die of a festering cane wound on the floor?

One less share.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

RandomPauI posted:

Amendments regarding the vote and representation

Amendment #A - Respecting the Popular Vote
[modification of existing proposal]

Section 1. The President and Vice President shall be elected by the people of the several States and the district constituting the seat of government of the United States.

Section 2. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of Senators and Representatives in Congress from that State, except that the legislature of any State may prescribe less restrictive qualifications with respect to residence and Congress may establish uniform residence and age qualifications.

Section 3. The election of the President, Vice President, Senators, and Representatives shall be determined by (popular vote/preferential vote/concurrent vote).

Section 4. Names of Presidential and Vice Presidential candidates may not be joined unless they shall have consented thereto and no candidate may consent to the candidate's name being joined with that of more than one other person.

Section 5. The Congress may by law provide for the case of the death of any candidate for President or Vice President before the day on which the President-elect or Vice President-elect has been chosen, and for the case of a tie in any election.

[Comment: I was thrown by the use of "for the case" at first, oh well.]

Section 6. This article shall apply with respect to any election for President and Vice President held after the expiration of the 1-year period which begins on the date of the ratification of this article.

Any amendment that tries to lay waste to the Electoral College tramples on state sovereignty and neglects our unique history. It would mean a diminishing of New England, Libertopia, Midlands, Kanakaua and the NCR. I would urge the representatives of those respective regions to oppose this measure and those like it.

RandomPauI posted:

Amendment #B - Protecting the Integrity of the Personal Vote and the Electoral Process

Section 1. The congress and the states shall collaborate to ensure the security, integrity, and accessibility of the electoral process.

Section 2. The congress shall also establish the creation of a national voter identification card. This card shall be recognized as a means to verify one’s eligibility to vote in local, state, and federal elections in those areas which require a form of identification.

Section 3. The congress shall not place undue burdens on individuals who lawfully seek a national voter identification card.

Section 4. The Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Reducing voter fraud and guaranteeing the sanctity of our voting process is essential to our long-term stability. It is also a sound compromise for the current debate over voting ID laws. While I have some concerns about the cost, I think that is a small price to pay for stabilizing our democratic process. I urge all delegates to support.

RandomPauI posted:

Amendment #C - Ensuring Full Representation

Section 1. In recognition of the founders intent to maintain a close relationship between the representatives and their constituents, the number of persons a representative may represent shall not exceed 500,000 people.

Section 2. Voting districts at each level of government shall be mathematically made to be optimally compact, with respect to equal population and demographic makeup.

[Potential problem: What does this do to special districts? Either the legislature fixes this or the courts do.]

While I support the spirit of this amendment, I think that it makes the House of Representatives much too large to govern effectively. The British House of Commons, which has much stronger party systems and fewer personalities, holds 650 members. This proposal would bring the number of representatives to 638.

Instead, I would propose that this body accept the Wyoming Rule. Such provision would increase the standard representative-to-population ratio would to that of the smallest entitled unit, which is currently Wyoming. Under this rule, state power would become more proportional to population without inflating membership to almost ungovernable levels.

RandomPauI posted:

Amendment #D - Representation For the District of Columbia

The District of Columbia shall become eligible to apply for statehood and the United States Government shall respect any future votes by it's citizens in favor of it's statehood. Until such time, one representative shall be granted to the District of Columbia.

The District of Columbia can already apply for statehood. The question is whether Congress accepts it. As such, this amendment would mean nothing.

Either grant the District full representation in the Constitution or allow the Congress to go about its business.

RandomPauI posted:

Amendment #e1 - The Territories , Tejas statehood version

Section 3. The unincorporated territories of American Samoa, Guam, and The Northern Mariana Islands are to hold a binding referendum on their status as territories within three years time. The referendums shall allow for joint statehood, compacts of free association, or full independence. The United States Government shall immediately honor the results of that referendum.

[Context. These three territories have populations of 55k, 159k, and 77k respectively. A combined population smaller than Wyoming. The average US county has a pop of 100k. Making each territory it’s own state would give them extremely disproportional power in the US Senate. So for practical purposes either they should all become a state with disproportionate power in the US senate or none becomes a state.

Explanation: A compact of free association is independence with legal expectations between the US and COFA nations. It’s like friends with benefits.]

[Potential problem: What if two want to become a state and one wants independence?]

Section 4. The unincorporated territories of Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands are to hold a binding referendum on their status as territories within three years time. The referendums shall allow for joint statehood, compact of free association, or full independence. The United States Government shall immediately honor the results of that referendum.

[Context. Puerto Rico has a population of 3.5 million, the United States Virgin Islands has a population of 100k. See above for additional information.]

Section 5. One delegate shall be offered to each present or future signatory to the Compact of Free Association.

[Explanation. A delegate is a member of the house of representatives with a voice and a vote on committees, but no votes on the floor of the house. This is a way to partially redress the fact that we haven’t done a good job of honoring COFA commitments lately...]

These territories can have referendums on statehood if they want. Congress should not be required to accept their applications if they do not feel that they are economically or politically viable in the long term.

I also oppose for the reasons specified in the context.

quote:

Amendment #e2 - The Territories Act, the Appalachia enhanced representation version

Section 3. The unincorporated territories of American Samoa, Guam, and The Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the United States Virgin islands shall jointly share representation in the House of Representatives as if they were a single state.

[Context, this means 8 reps as of 2010 census. Pacific territories get one representative, Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands get 7.]

[Potential Problem, If Puerto Rico votes to become a state and Virgin Islands doesn’t opt to join Puerto Rico things will get awwwwwkward]

You cannot mash together two different territories with completely different cultures and hope that they work together. This would not be an acceptable admission process.

quote:

Amendment #f - Representation for the Native Peoples in the Federal Government.

Section 1. The Navajo Nation shall become eligible to apply for statehood should they so desire. Until such time one representative shall be granted to the Navajo Nation should they so desire.

Section 2. The remaining combined federally recognized Native Reservations shall be granted 3 representatives, should they so desire. The tribal governments, united states legislature, and united states executive shall collaborate to determine the distribution of representation.

[Comment: Tribal inhabitant might be the wrong word.]

Tribes already receive representation in Congress as part of their respective states. This amendment carves out huge swathes of the NCR, Midlands, and Cascadia without the consent of the people within those states.

I believe that native issues should receive more attention, but this approach is poor. I would highly encourage the delegations to oppose this measure.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 8, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Amendment A under RP’s post

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
OOC: Other delegates are free to offer amendments or to make modifications to the proposed amendments. Also, working on the citizens united one now unless someone already has something in the chamber.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Defenestration posted:

Gentlewoman, and I'm just getting some organizing done. Feel free to propose ideas, I'm still reading this thread.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Are you all sure you want to be writing amendments about the minutia of congressional representation, the electoral college, and the presidency when you haven't agreed what institutions you want to retain?

It's going to look a little odd if you, say, grant native tribes a senate seat and then later abolish the Senate.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

QuoProQuid posted:

Are you all sure you want to be writing amendments about congressional representation, the electoral college, and the presidency when you haven't agreed whether you want to retain those institutions?

It's going to look a little odd if you, say, grant native tribes a senate seat and then later abolish the Senate.

Literally no one has supported a measure to abolish the Senate, I already checked.

And one of the measures is to, in fact, end the electoral college (by tying it to the popular vote).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

T O P

Loel posted:

Literally no one has supported a measure to abolish the Senate, I already checked.

It was more of a general example than me trying to point out anyone in specific. I just don't want the delegates crafting detailed provisions and then having to scrap them because the underlying instrument of government changed.

Abolishing the electoral college is going to look a bit moot if you later move to a parliamentary system (for some reason???)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

QuoProQuid posted:

It was more of a general example than me trying to point out anyone in specific. I just don't want the delegates crafting detailed provisions and then having to scrap them because the underlying instrument of government changed.

If they want to write long posts, why stop them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Amendment #G - Democracy For All Amendment. AKA Thank god someone already wrote a citizens united amendment.

SECTION 1. To advance democratic self-government and political equality for all, and to protect the integrity of government and the electoral process, Congress and the States may regulate and set limits on the raising and spending of money by candidates and others to influence elections.

SECTION 2. Congress and the States shall have power to implement this article by appropriate legislation, and may distinguish between natural persons and corporations or other artificial entities created by law, including by prohibiting such entities from spending money to influence elections.

SECTION 3. Nothing in this article shall be construed to grant Congress or the States the power to abridge the freedom of the press.

• Locked thread