Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A

MVP: Copperhead for the sac play, beyond that I don't know.

Tell me that one of the mechs they dragged away was the mostly together quad LPL warhawk. Someone needs to slap a leg on and then drive that monster. I'm not sure what else is worth dragging away beyond that.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This entire mini-campaign has been my favorite in a thread full of great campaigns. This was awesome and I'm really glad we voted for the Mr. Johnson.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Olothreutes posted:

A

MVP: Copperhead for the sac play, beyond that I don't know.

Tell me that one of the mechs they dragged away was the mostly pristine quad LPL warhawk. Someone needs to be driving that monster.

Uhhh the Warhawk has no legs haha.

Some of the lesser damaged machines:
Wolf Spider Eta, missing a cockpit.
Crossbow Alpha, missing a cockpit.
Naga Redeemer, missing a cockpit (I think we have a theme going here...)
Stormbreaker Storm Surge, destroyed Gyro

Most everything else is missing several limbs or got straight up cored out.
e: Wow all the clan mechs were seriously mauled in this one really. The least damaged were the ones that had cockpits blown away, followed by the ones that lost engines. Everything else had a ton of sections blown off or multiple crits to everything.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 8, 2016

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

A Letting in people who have gone 'gently caress Honor' is the gooniest mercanary move to make.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

e: Wow all the clan mechs were seriously mauled in this one really. The least damaged were the ones that had cockpits blown away, followed by the ones that lost engines. Everything else had a ton of sections blown off or multiple crits to everything.

Yeah I somehow thought the cockpit was the issue with the warhawk, but it's only down one leg. The other just got flooded I think. I still think it's worth drying it out and slapping a new leg on there. It's probably easier to fix the leg than it is to fix a missing clan gyro, engine, or cockpit. It's too bad the dire wolf got so insanely destroyed, that would have been a fun one to walk away with.

Crossbow alpha doesn't seem terribly amazing to me, but I could be wrong. The wolf spider could be neat. The naga is pretty specialized and might be interesting but I imagine it would have ammunition supply issues until the end of time. The stormbreaker looks pretty neat.

Warhawk, stormbreaker? That would be some sweet haul right there.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 8, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Think of it another way, if we let in defectors, then how many other 2nd line "shield" units will consider doing the same, since they know that there's at least a chance NRWR/the IS won't rebuff them?

And then the Clanners will only be left with their so-called sword to defend themselves with.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The Awesome actually shot both legs off haha. One via plain damage, the other via crit->Limb blown off.
(The Awesome is great).

The Stormbreaker would be amazing, because dual HLLs, 6/9, good armor, and heatsinks to fire them. Although the TAGs are somewhat wasted if not deployed with fire support.
Wolf Spider would be cool too, although the gunnery penalty on HLLs means that they might be sorta hard to use since our pilots aren't totally up to the skills of the guys that were piloting those machines.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A

I gotta see how this plays out, even if it is a trick.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
player MVPs: Wild Weasel, Mountain Lion
opforce MVP: Swordbreaker Upsilon, for killing my dumb rear end when I decided to walk.

Political vote: A
This is totally risky in my opinion, but I want to see it go horribly wrong just as much as I want it to go perfectly right. :allears:

Thanks for an awesome game, PTN!

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

The Awesome actually shot both legs off haha. One via plain damage, the other via crit->Limb blown off.
(The Awesome is great).

The Stormbreaker would be amazing, because dual HLLs, 6/9, good armor, and heatsinks to fire them. Although the TAGs are somewhat wasted if not deployed with fire support.
Wolf Spider would be cool too, although the gunnery penalty on HLLs means that they might be sorta hard to use since our pilots aren't totally up to the skills of the guys that were piloting those machines.

That's too bad, I still want them to manage to drag the warhawk away. Legs are an easy repair I would think.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Olothreutes posted:

That's too bad, I still want them to manage to drag the warhawk away. Legs are an easy repair I would think.

You would be wrong.

Between the stabilizers, making sure the ankles have the proper range of motion, and finding actuators that fit legs are probably second only to hands in complexity.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Time to dispel the Trueborn bullshit :getin:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

That was a great mission, and lots of fun! Thanks PTN, fellow players and thread. :)

Demon Hawks MVP: Copperhead/Bethany Cochraine for doing the right tactical and team spirit thing and saving the Bobcat.
OpFor MvP: Warhawk Riptide for dominating the northeast before, during and after the death of its two buddies in the center north.

Btw., Delwyn kept his Captain rank after he got his promotion last mission, right? Just checking.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 8, 2016

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

You would be wrong.

Between the stabilizers, making sure the ankles have the proper range of motion, and finding actuators that fit legs are probably second only to hands in complexity.

And this is why I'm not a mech tech :downs:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Player MVPs: Screamer for headshot madness and Copperhead for the sacrifice play

OpFor MVP: Warhawk for requiring a lot of us to take down

Voting A and hoping it doesn't backfire

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Time to dispel the Trueborn bullshit :getin:

Voting this for political.

Player MVPs: Wild Weasel and Copperhead
OpFor MVPs: Warhawk Riptide
Honorable Mention: Naga

I wish I could have suggested something that I did that was notable, but I don't think soaking some damage and puttering about south of where I started is notable. The smoke was a pain in the rear end, though most of the stuff I had to deal with was from the Naga instead of our WW. Dice not really cooperating didn't help at all, but that's what dice do.

All in all, really fun. I await my next turn in what, 5 years? :cheeky:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
A, because even if it is a trap, the fact that some Clanners had to do that to take out the Dadlas and Duncan means the victory will be worth less than nothing.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Gwaihir posted:

Dunno if we'll have a choice on this or not, but I think picking up a Swordbreaker/Stormcrow and a Wolf Spider/Timberish Wolf would be a pretty nice haul. A lot of badass standoff lasers on those mechs

Although if that Warhawk does end up being salvageable, though ...

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

berryjon posted:

A, because even if it is a trap, the fact that some Clanners had to do that to take out the Dadlas and Duncan means the victory will be worth less than nothing.

I'm not even sure they'll succeed if they try.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

A. I wanna see where this trap goes.

Also MVPs:
Copperhead, Wild Weasel.

Opfor:
Naga, because lol Naga
Also because I know the Warhawk will win so I'll just throw that vote away for the heck of it

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

A

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
A

If the Demon Hawks can manage to score a big win with the "trash" pilots, Duncan and Jason will have so utterly humiliated their society that the second wave of Clan Crusaders might have to destroy the Sea Fox and Raven clans just so they can go back to pretending they're superior.

Anyway, now that the end is official and everything, I'd like to thank everyone who prevented a disaster who offered advice so consistently and helpfully: starting off surrounded by mines and staring down an AC 20 made for a complicated start, but Duncan came off alright thanks in large part to you, as well as the players who pitched their machines against some *very* ugly mechs in equally ugly terrain.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Olothreutes posted:

Yeah I somehow thought the cockpit was the issue with the warhawk, but it's only down one leg. The other just got flooded I think. I still think it's worth drying it out and slapping a new leg on there. It's probably easier to fix the leg than it is to fix a missing clan gyro, engine, or cockpit.

Replacing an entire limb is very time consuming and also difficult. Simply repairing actuators isn't too difficult (unless they're shoulder or hip actuators, in which case it's time to throw away the whole thing and replace it entirely!), by comparison. Fixing an engine is comparitively quite easy, replacing a cockpit's a bit challenging but more time consuming than anything else, same for gyros.

At least, going by the RAW repair rules in Stratops. Having been doing an against the bot campaign, I can tell you I would much rather repair, or even replace a gyro than have to replace 2 legs.

Voting A. Hopefully the rest of the clans see this start happening and the leadership either sees the light or is replaced by people who do. Then we can get Clanners who approach warfare like Sphereoids, only with superior clan technology. Because the clans no longer being honor bound makes things a lot, lot harder on anyone who ends up facing them.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 8, 2016

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Voting A

... because B would be boring.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Ice Fist posted:

... because B would be boring.

I don't know about that.

But there is a pretty interesting branch here.

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016
Player MVP: Wild Weasel, Copperhead These players made choices that benefited the team

OpFor: Warhawk

Political: A Because the one basic truth of the clans is that as soon as the free births realize the true borns are nothing but BS, they are done for.

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

Night10194 posted:

This entire mini-campaign has been my favorite in a thread full of great campaigns. This was awesome and I'm really glad we voted for the Mr. Johnson.

I voted for the Kalma-Youngblood Mercenary Company (name to be decided) a couple of times before but refuse to be disappointed they initially lost to other scenarios because this one was absolutely amazing.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Voting A. If there's any Clanner that's going to be on the level with something like this, it's a freebirth. Also because they used the term 'trashborn'.

As for MVPs, I nominate the Wild Weasel for providing crucial cover with its smoke spam. Things could have been a lot messier if the Clanners had been allowed clearer shots.

For the OpFor, I'm gojng with the Varangian for going down in a blaze of glory after simply refusing to die for so long. Just about everything a Dire Wolf could aspire to, really.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
voting A because I just know this will be a trainwreck one way or another

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Whoops, missed the second MVP.

Nominating the Dadlas as well, for doing what it does best: humiliating Clanners.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Politcal Vote: A

Echoing the reasons already stated. This seems more interesting even if they end up being a knife to stab in the back. Interesting note: Uncle Stevie's deception is still holding (since the Star Commander called him President.)

MVPs: Copperhead for the sac play. Takes some grit to do that especially here.
The Hunchbacks (coinflip says I'm technically nominating #1 for this but both did pretty well) for overall solid and consistent play.
Honorable mention: The Nergal for SURPRISE VOLTRON out of nowhere.

OPFOR MVP: Varangian Undertow for being really big and scary and big.
OPFOR Honorable mention: The Naga for LRM shenanigans :argh:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 8, 2016

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Political Vote: voting A so hard, if you have genuine defectors from the Clans, even just Freeborns, it would be dumb not to take advantage of it.

MVP Votes: so many good plays, I can't rightly remember what went down over the course of the mission. Pretty sure voting for the Nergaal is redundant, it'll pick up ally MVP easily enough, and we all know it did enough. Gonna go with the Copperhead and the Awesome for the Demon Hawks.

OpFor MVP goes to the Warhawk.

Loa Vecre
Jul 27, 2014
Politcal Vote: A. Let's see if they really are "In No Mood For Any More Trueborn Bullshit."

Player MVPs: For obvious reasons, I can't not vote for the Copperhead saving my rear end.
And secondly, the Wild Weasel for the smoke cover, which among other things kept the Blood Asp from becoming relevant until the last few turns. And even then, the smoke allowed us to engage it on our terms.
OPFOR MVP: Varangian Undertow for being the looming threat during the early- to midgame.

Loa Vecre fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 8, 2016

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Vote: A

MVP: Copperheads sacrifice and Wild Weasel's smoke for reasons already mentioned
OpForce: The Warhawk did a great job tying up a bunch of us for a few turns before going down

What were our reinforcements supposed to be PTN? Really fun game and looking to sit patiently back in rotation. Now someone do up an Awesome with a tar comp and all those large pulse lasers...

CISscum
Nov 15, 2014
Political Vote: A
Being Sea Foxes, they'll probably stab you in the back, but that just makes it more interesting.

Player MVP: Wild Weasel & Copperhead
OpFor MVP: Varangian Undertow
Kill them all, God will sort his own MVP: Naga

CISscum fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 9, 2016

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Loa Vecre posted:

Politcal Vote: A. Let's see if they really are "In No Mood For Any More Trueborn Bullshit."

What worries me is, if they're looking to prove they're better than Trueborns (or that there is trueborn bullshit), they might be out to use non-Clan tactcis to murder us or Uncle Steive. "The five of us did what everyone else could not!"

Then again, I am legendarily paranoid.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nobody that came out of a vagina could be that evil. A

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Surprising myself by voting B.

My reasoning: we've been told a big chunk of the Demon Hawks pilots are out on injured reserve for a month or two. We add five clan pilots in pristine mechs, suddenly Uncle Amaris is looking at the Demon Hawks as a viable fighting force again, for possible immediate deployment.

And that means going out with something like half (or more than half?) of the Demon Hawks being recently-converted Clan pilots. Ones that have no love for each other, and including pilots captured and pressed into service nominally according to Clan rules - as pilots defeated in honorable battle and then claimed - along with pilots who have severely broken Clan rules in order to swear allegiance to a Mercenary company owner. I anticipate serious tension there. Throw in the rivalry between the originating Clans of these pilots, and the lack of an overwhelming majority of inner sphere pilots to intervene and keep the peace, and I think you've got the potential for disaster.

I don't actually think this star of renegades is here to stab anyone in the back, intentionally, but this is a Star leader possibly dragging along others in his team that might not be as fully on board, they've not had any time to assimilate, they'll be piloting their own familiar mechs (so, potentially more confident in their ability to predict how well they'll perform in battle), and at some point they may get pissed off enough to decide a backstab - even a suicidal one - is the only acceptable way forward.

There's another point to make here, which is that I'm confident PTN has something interesting in mind for both options.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't know about that.

But there is a pretty interesting branch here.

He doesn't dick us around with boring crap just because we voted one way vs. another.

MVPs:
Copperhead and Bobcat
OpFor MVP: Naga

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Political: A.
Player MVPs: Copperhead and Wild Weasel.
OpFor MVP: Viper for surviving long enough to withdraw.
OpFor Mark of Shame: Naga for being a cowardly team-killing rear end in a top hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Political: A. I feel like this is going to be the start towards shattering the clan's bullshit politics. Even if it backfires horribly, It'd still make one hell of a crack in it.

Player MVPs: Bobcat and screamer Though everyone did extremely well.

W.T. Fits posted:

OpFor MVP: Viper for surviving long enough to withdraw.
OpFor Mark of Shame: Naga for being a cowardly team-killing rear end in a top hat.

Seconding these two for the OpFor.

• Locked thread