Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

logikv9 posted:

also a hearty "lol no" to anybody who thinks they will ever switch to usb C for the iPhone anytime soon. they must make bank off all their specific accessories and their certification program.
Seriously. While lightning is a slightly better connector design than USB-C (the most fragile part of the connector is on the cable rather than the device), Apple has always ridden their pet standards right into the ground like when they finally had to switch iPods off firewire. Frankly I'm surprised the lovely MacBook got USB-C instead of lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

io_burn posted:

Do you have any more details on this? Could a charger and headphone port dongle just not exist at all? Or would it need to be a real weird set of headphones that you end up plugging your power cord into?

It could still work. All of the hardware needed to convert the lightning signal to analog would be at the base and you just have another jack there like the lightning HDMI or VGA dongles.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Garbage phone for idiots. Removing the headphone jack is stupid as fuuuuuuck.

I don't use mine often (bluetooth headphones/car) but one of the best perks of an iPhone (or any smart phone) is that if I'm renting a car, staying in a hotel, anywhere I go I can plug an aux cable into a stereo and blast my jams.

What the gently caress's with Apple and making their devices thinner. Don't remove a main feature, idiots. I want to punch TIm Cook in his goddamn rear end.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

3.5mm is stupid anyway. Just lol if you don't use bluetooth headphones exclusively already.

I can see how if you exclusively spend your time in your own house then yeah, sure, fair point.

smoobles fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 8, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nitrousoxide posted:

The new wireless earphones look okay. Will they work with Android phones? Or did apple decide to go special snowflake and break compatibility?

Not sure how you can break compatibility with something they were never compatible with.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Silver95280 posted:

I need an iCloud account to connect a pair of earbuds to my computer...

What?

Maybe that means you need iCloud to get the automatic pairing with your other devices.

I mean it has to be Bluetooth right? They said it can pair to your Mac and iPad which don't have radios for some brand new standard.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Endless Mike posted:

Not sure how you can break compatibility with something they were never compatible with.

yeah that never worked

oh wait

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

A little late on Spotify/Apple Music chat, but whoever wins is probably going to be dictated by whatever dumb decisions the music industry at large make next, and very little to do with which company has the most cash on hand.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

smoobles posted:

What the gently caress's with Apple and making their devices thinner. Don't remove a main feature, idiots. I want to punch TIm Cook in his goddamn rear end.

I don't believe the new phone is any thinner.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

yeah that never worked

oh wait
I see you got the wired wireless headphones.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
It seems to me that every single iPhone iteration, a lot of people come out of the woodwork saying "there's no new innovation in this" and "it's barely any upgrade at all" and other things of that ilk. This one is no different.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
The iPhone 7 Plus has a lot of great things going on for it with that camera, it's a shame though that I don't want that huge phone in my pocket.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Axiem posted:

"there's no new innovation in this" and "it's barely any upgrade at all" and other things of that ilk. This one is no different.

hey look, you're right.

Apple Watch 2 lookin great though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Does the second camera do anything than provide a 2x optical zoom? I assume there are some processing tricks it also uses it for

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

WhyteRyce posted:

Does the second camera do anything than provide a 2x optical zoom? I assume there are some processing tricks it also uses it for

- takes up space.
- gets idiots to buy the plus model.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So the ipod is dead huh

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

smoobles posted:

I don't use mine often (bluetooth headphones/car) but one of the best perks of an iPhone (or any smart phone) is that if I'm renting a car, staying in a hotel, anywhere I go I can plug an aux cable into a stereo and blast my jams.

Maybe stop renting garbageman cars

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

It can use both lenses and fancy depth-mapping algorithms to make your portraits look like they were taken with a real camera. (i.e. Background will actually go out-of-focus.)

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Axiem posted:

It seems to me that every single iPhone iteration, a lot of people come out of the woodwork saying "there's no new innovation in this" and "it's barely any upgrade at all" and other things of that ilk. This one is no different.

Yea, but a lot of that is Android models rushing to provide hastily put together and poor quality functionality just to be first and iPhone actually meeting expectations later on. I had a Samsung phone as a work phone briefly not too long ago, dropped it in a few inches of water for maybe a few seconds and it was malfunctioning instantly. What good is claiming you've done something first when it's garbage?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Something I read afterwards is that they're dropping the price of a screen replacement with AppleCare+ to just $29 for all models. Wonder if that finally makes it worth it.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
r/apple is the angriest group of people I've ever encountered on the internet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rexim posted:

Any fan board for something with more than 3-4 iterations is full of people who actually hate it really really hard.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Rexim posted:

It's seriously like some kind of internment camp filled with people who somehow are totally unaware that the jail doesn't even have any doors and they can leave whenever they want.

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/09/07/apple-explains-headphone-jack-removal/

quote:

In an interview with BuzzFeed, Apple's Greg Joswiak, Dan Riccio, and Phil Schiller explained in much greater detail why the decision was made to move away from the 3.5mm headphone jack.

The idea for the removal of the headphone jack was raised during the development of the iPhone 7. In a nutshell, the "driver ledge" for the display and backlight, traditionally placed near the camera, was interfering with the new camera systems in the iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus, leading Apple to explore other placement options. It was moved near the audio jack, but it also caused interference with various components, including the audio jack itself, so Apple engineers toyed with the elimination of the jack altogether.

When the headphone jack was removed, Apple realized it was easier to install the new Taptic Engine for the pressure-sensitive Home button, implement a bigger battery, and reach an IP7 water resistance rating, so the elimination of the headphone jack became essential for all of the other features in the iPhone 7.

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 8, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe that means you need iCloud to get the automatic pairing with your other devices.

I mean it has to be Bluetooth right? They said it can pair to your Mac and iPad which don't have radios for some brand new standard.
Yeah it's Bluetooth and works with whatever...pairing process and other poo poo like volume, who knows! (maybe just defaults to max so there's only device volume control? :iiam:)

And yeah, iCloud part propagates the auto pairing to the rest of your Apple stuff afaik.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

We gave up the headphone jack for a 2nd camera :stare:

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

it takes courage to take the easy way out

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
T-Mobile is going to be giving 32gb 7s for free to anyone trading in an iPhone 6 or higher. You can pay extra to go with a higher model.

With 2 year payment plan which they will credit every month.

5, 5c, se, and 5s also quality but will require $250.

If you cancel before two years you give the phone back or pay the remaining balance.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 8, 2016

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Don Lapre posted:

T-Mobile is going to be giving 32gb 7s for free to anyone trading in an iPhone 6 or higher. You can pay extra to go with a higher model.

With 2 year payment plan which they will credit every month.

5, 5c, se, and 5s also quality but will require $250.

If you cancel before two years you give the phone back or pay the remaining balance.

Is this eligible for anyone that's currently a t-mobile customer?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Bottom Liner posted:

Is this eligible for anyone that's currently a t-mobile customer?

Its eligible for anyone whether or not they are a tmobile customer (but you have to become a tmobile customer for 2 years to fully take advantage of the deal.)

https://newsroom.t-mobile.com/news-...als+LLC&irgwc=1

I know it says "up to $650" but i think thats because if you cancel before the 2 years you dont get the full amount. Its been confirmed you will basically get a $27 credit every month for 2 years for your trade in which will cancel out the $27 charge for a 32gb iphone 7.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 8, 2016

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Calaveron posted:

So the ipod is dead huh
As in not available on the Apple site anymore?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Shumagorath posted:

As in not available on the Apple site anymore?

Its just not on the top bar. Its under music.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

The camera three iterations ago was more than I could ever need from a phone. I don't get this weird obsession with imperceptible camera improvements every generation. If I wanted a better camera than my phone (I don't) I'd go out and buy a real camera. It's been more than enough for dumb vacation selfies and pictures of food for years.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

io_burn posted:

Do you have any more details on this? Could a charger and headphone port dongle just not exist at all? Or would it need to be a real weird set of headphones that you end up plugging your power cord into?

Daisy chain protocol means that you can add another cable and achieve throughput if the device has a supported female input. In order for a dongle to have multiple female pieces, it would have to be engineered such that it would have to take data and feed it back up and through the original device and into the main port on the iPhone because the dongle itself cannot aggregate it (hub protocol).

There most likely thing we'll see is a headphone with a female lightning input on both sides and which comes with a male to male cable so you can rearrange it as you please and also plug in a charging cable into the unused port.

THE BIG DOG DADDY fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 8, 2016

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Like it or not people make a living using social media. Better cameras in these devices are a major selling point for these professionals as trivial as it may seem.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

BGrifter posted:

The camera three iterations ago was more than I could ever need from a phone. I don't get this weird obsession with imperceptible camera improvements every generation. If I wanted a better camera than my phone (I don't) I'd go out and buy a real camera. It's been more than enough for dumb vacation selfies and pictures of food for years.

Because having a better camera is awesome sorry you don't care about it and are confused

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

BGrifter posted:

io_burn posted:

It's seriously like some kind of internment camp filled with people who somehow are totally unaware that the jail doesn't even have any doors and they can leave whenever they want.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Daisy chain protocol means that you can add another cable and achieve throughput if the device has a supported female input. In order for a dongle to have multiple female pieces, it would have to be engineered such that it would have to take data and feed it back up and through the original device and into the main port on the iPhone because the dongle itself cannot aggregate it (hub protocol).

There most likely thing we'll see is a headphone with a female lightning input on both sides and which comes with a male to male cable so you can rearrange it as you please and also plug in a charging cable into the unused port.
Another pain point is that each device in the chain needs a controller chip unless Lightning somehow takes care of all of that at the root (doubtful given that I haven't even seen Lightning chains longer than one device). Device manufacturers like hub protocols like USB because the root takes care of all the communication between peripherals and therefore reduce costs. It's the same reason Firewire died out despite having superior performance and power delivery.

Housh posted:

Like it or not people make a living using social media. Better cameras in these devices are a major selling point for these professionals as trivial as it may seem.
The camera is not the bottleneck for social media posts.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 8, 2016

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Sounds objectivity worse than USB type c.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So it sounds like the iOS 10 GM is actually 10.0.1 and the version of 10.0.1 that was released today is actually a beta and therefore you can't load it on your phone unless you have a Dev account or XCode8 or some poo poo like that.

I always like updating early, but if I have to do crazy poo poo to do so I guess I'll just wait for the actual release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Housh posted:

Is that really a big enough part of the iPhone market to merit half the keynote time for every iPhone in the last several years? I doubt there's that many people who would be able to recognize the difference between a photo shot with the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6s.

I'm not particularly bent out of shape over it or anything, it just seems weird they push that feature so hard every year.

• Locked thread