Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Have we ever seen a person die? The only graveyard in the series is explicitly for Pokemon and you can be an 8ft tall immortal giant and barely merit a second glance.

:tinfoil:

Seriously what the gently caress was up with Az

Az got hit by an ancient laser cannon which grants people immortality. The protagonist of XY and his group of pals also got hit by this same weapon when fighting team Flare so they're similarly immortal now.

At least I think that's what went down. XY's plot was strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Can we call Ash's dad dead? I think its time.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Az got hit by an ancient laser cannon which grants people immortality. The protagonist of XY and his group of pals also got hit by this same weapon when fighting team Flare so they're similarly immortal now.

At least I think that's what went down. XY's plot was strange.

I thought Az was cursed by his Floette because he was a dick warmonger king who dropped a magic pokenuke 3000 years and killed a ton of people and pokemon. Then he hobo'd it up until he crossed paths with the XY protagonist who beats him in a pokemon battle which makes his Floette go 'cool, I'll come back now'

The immortality beam only hit protag and Lysandre, who is now presumably alive forever under 10 tons of rubble. Which apparently they reverse engineered from Az's cursed body and Xerneas?

Yeah it got loving weird.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 8, 2016

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Space T Rex posted:

He can't be dead, we just saw him in that trailer a page or two ago :shepface:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

in Y it's a death beam so lysandre's loving dead

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Space T Rex posted:

Giovanni is still alive.

Zore posted:

I thought Az was cursed by his Floette because he was a dick warmonger king who dropped a magic pokenuke 3000 years and killed a ton of people and pokemon. Then he hobo'd it up until he crossed paths with the XY protagonist who beats him in a pokemon battle which makes his Floette go 'cool, I'll come back now'

The immortality beam only hit protag and Lysandre, who is now presumably alive forever under 10 tons of rubble. Which apparently they reverse engineered from Az's cursed body and Xerneas?

Yeah it got loving weird.

That might also be true, but I swear the immortality beam was like an ancient weapon of some kind. Though i'm probably misremembering.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Space T Rex posted:

He's not dead, he just went out to the store for some milk. 20 years ago.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Wasn't there a spoiler that talked about old characters returning?

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
One post game daily event will be entering a house where you can battle a different vacationing mom each day of the week, starting with your mom in Gen VII and going all the way back to Red's mom.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Giovanni is still alive.

To be fair, last we saw he jumped off a waterfall after getting his poo poo pushed in by another 10 year old.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope Cynthia keeps her Summer home in Alola. In fact I hope she has a home in each region from here on out, and just jets back to Sinnoh every time the elite four is beaten to beat up a new ten year old in a dumb hat

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zore posted:

To be fair, last we saw he jumped off a waterfall after getting his poo poo pushed in by another 10 year old.

That wasn't the sound of him jumping off. That was the sound of the radio turning on at the time.

Remember, these are games for children. There's no way Nintendo's letting Game Freak put in stuff like people committing suicide.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 8, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Wasn't there a spoiler that talked about old characters returning?

i want to say there was one that implied there were several pokemon professors hanging out in Alola, and it also said that Blue was returning in some form

but i could be combining multiple 'leaks' in my brain

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dr. Fetus posted:

That wasn't the sound of him jumping off. That was the sound of the radio turning on at the time.

Remember, these are games for children.

Maybe? I mean the stuff with Lysandre is clearly leaving him to die though and in general pokemon isn't as shy about death as other games. A major 'dungeon' in Gen 1 was a graveyard where you had to fight the ghost of a pokemon murdered by Team Rocket.

And uh Cyrus/Lysandre/Ghetsis all try to kill the MC of their respective games explicitly. And you leave 2/3 of them to die in hell/a collapsing supervillain lair.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

I hope Cynthia keeps her Summer home in Alola. In fact I hope she has a home in each region from here on out, and just jets back to Sinnoh every time the elite four is beaten to beat up a new ten year old in a dumb hat

She is enjoying retirement after I beat her up and became the new champion.

There's a pretty good chance she'll show up though, yeah.

Edit:

Kelp Plankton posted:

i want to say there was one that implied there were several pokemon professors hanging out in Alola, and it also said that Blue was returning in some form

Man, but Blue's super lame. :(

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Space T Rex posted:

I'd prefer that because it means I can actually catch the drat thing. Pokemon or not, do not show me something I cant stuff in a ball and force to fight for money!!

It'd be really weird and sort of against the whole spirit of the series if you had to fight a creature you couldn't also catch and use yourself. I know Pokemon wasn't the first RPG where you could recruit monsters and have them fight for you, but it may have been the first where all of them could be controlled.*

*I'm probably wrong

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Maybe? I mean the stuff with Lysandre is clearly leaving him to die though and in general pokemon isn't as shy about death as other games. A major 'dungeon' in Gen 1 was a graveyard where you had to fight the ghost of a pokemon murdered by Team Rocket.

And uh Cyrus/Lysandre/Ghetsis all try to kill the MC of their respective games explicitly. And you leave 2/3 of them to die in hell/a collapsing supervillain lair.

Hey man, Cyrus made that choice himself. The MC didn't do nothing. :colbert:

Also, although Ghetsis might not have been left for dead, his mind did explode and left him in 24 hour care from his ninja apprentices. Which is also pretty rough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

It'd be really weird and sort of against the whole spirit of the series if you had to fight a creature you couldn't also catch and use yourself. I know Pokemon wasn't the first RPG where you could recruit monsters and have them fight for you, but it may have been the first where all of them could be controlled.*

*I'm probably wrong

They seem to be experimenting with that in this gen. Even betond the Uber Beasts, Island Guardian battles with your 1 pokemon vs. several enemies who get stat boosts is a departure from the relatively even playing field of past gens.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

*I'm probably wrong

I dunno, it might be interesting to fight some weird rule-breaking not-Pokemon as a boss battle sometimes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Geostomp posted:

I dunno, it might be interesting to fight some weird rule-breaking not-Pokemon as a boss battle sometimes.

If we're counting spinoffs, it's not completely out of the question, since in some of the Mystery Dungeon games, the final bosses weren't even Pokemon.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Giovanni is still alive.

That might also be true, but I swear the immortality beam was like an ancient weapon of some kind. Though i'm probably misremembering.

I think he used the life of thousands of humans and pokemon to power it and give him and his Floette eternal life. Floette was not too happy with this, and left him.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

If we're counting spinoffs, it's not completely out of the question, since in some of the Mystery Dungeon games, the final bosses weren't even Pokemon.

What were they?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
ITS OAK'S "COUSIN"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

What were they?

The embodiment of despair and negativity.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Classtoise posted:

I think he used the life of thousands of humans and pokemon to power it and give him and his Floette eternal life. Floette was not too happy with this, and left him.

If I remember correctly, it was originally built as a weapon but then his Floette died. In his grief, AZ used it to revive her and give himself eternal life.

At least in X that was the case.

FishBulb posted:

ITS OAK'S "COUSIN"

His girlfriend?

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Oak on japanese site, I think google translate is saying it's a relative.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The embodiment of despair and negativity.

Which took the forms of a giant snowflake and Dark Matter.

So fighting otherworldly things (and not being able to capture them) may not be out of the question for Sun and Moon.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Benach posted:

Yeah, the site says his name is Nariya Ookido, while our Oak is Yukinari Ookido.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Benach posted:

you cowards :negative:

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
I always felt bad for Professor Elm, getting upstaged by Oak in his own region.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

The jorts/flip-flop combo gives Professor Birch a natural advantage, so hopefully he'll also show up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Oak's brother from another mother

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Professor Oakleys.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Rather than actually being her it could be a psuedo pokemon creature that was created by the Aether foundation performing bad science, with her as the test subject. So the ultra beasts aren't actually people but weird monsters created as reflections of people they performed experiments on.

Its probably all Lusamine's fault for being a bad mom.

well Lusamine said she wanted to protect the pokemon of other worlds too so maybe they broke open to another dimension and the ultra beasts came through and are mimicking things and that one is mimicking the little girl.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Professor St'Oak'd

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Kelp Plankton posted:

I want Professor Rowan there giving Oak poo poo for his tan and carping about how obviously suspicious Aether is and no one believing him.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
clearly Aether is who you side with on the Law path and Team Skull on the chaos

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

clearly Aether is who you side with on the Law path and Team Skull on the chaos

i'm down for this because it makes lillie the obligatory lucifer in disguise

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/773737696137187328

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Benach posted:

New short japanese trailer (yes, another one). Has very quick shots of a lot of things. Not much new, but there is a shot of the menu when selecting the Z-Move and a shot of selecting a Poke-HM.

Oh I must have missed something: Can we actually change what we wear in this? I see different clothes on the characters.