Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat
I really wish they would have used the actor who narrated Karl Franz in dark omen in this game. The current voice actor for Franz is pretty boring imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Speaking of boring, I wish the game had maps with rivers and villages and stuff like previous Total War titles.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I genuinely miss unwalled city battles

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'd like more stuff going on outside of the battle map itself. Like a fight in a village square instead of in a field when defending a village, or something. The issue with fighting in a village is that when there are a bunch of different houses and roads and stuff, the defender can just put up a line of halberdiers/swordsmen/whatever in a roadway and the only way to get through it is to grind them down since you can't flank them. This was the worst in Rome 2 where a line of pikes could hold a road indefinitely against anything that was stupid enough to attack them head on. Of course, you could only attack them head on because it was a city so...

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

ChickenWing posted:

Agreed, feels like 90% my battles are seiges. It just takes such a long time to get an agent that can reliably block armies so you can catch up to them before they get to hide behind walls. They should probably add something that is worth defending that is not walled in.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Qvark posted:

Agreed, feels like 90% my battles are seiges. It just takes such a long time to get an agent that can reliably block armies so you can catch up to them before they get to hide behind walls. They should probably add something that is worth defending that is not walled in.

Have you tried using Ambush stance?

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

Fangz posted:

Have you tried using Ambush stance?

Yeah but I'm very bad at it :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pathfinding is still pretty terrible in walled cities in this game, even with double wide streets. Much as I like the unwalled cities in older games, I still know the only reason I did like them was due to exploiting the terrible pathfinding to grind elite armies into dust.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The peak of Total War map design was Shogun 2, everything after that has been too busy with useless things or too empty, or somehow both.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Qvark posted:

Yeah but I'm very bad at it :(

you can stay ambushed for multiple turns, they'll eventually run into you.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

ChickenWing posted:

So, my favorite battlefields in the entire series were the Shogun 2 Rise of the Samurai unwalled villages. They were open enough to allow for maneuvers, and to prevent "wall of spears blocks everything", but still had a few defensible points and paths to control the battle. The village buildings broke up some formations, but didn't get in the way too much, and there were defensive areas and mini walls to give the defenders good places for archers. This could be just rose-tinted memories talking, but they were amazing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

wiegieman posted:

The peak of Total War map design was Shogun 2, everything after that has been too busy with useless things or too empty, or somehow both.

The big thing to realize about Ambush stance is the fact, that despite its name, its main function is not allowing ambushes (although pulling off an ambush is useful and p. cool) but staying hidden. As long as your remain undetected, AI will stop doing its super obnoxious " end each turn just millimeter outside of your movement range" shuffle and actually allow you to intercept their armies and get field battles. I pretty much switch to ambush stance at the end of each turn when I am at war with someone, and I have a shitload of field battles that way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

The big thing to realize about Ambush stance is the fact, that despite its name, its main function is not allowing ambushes (although pulling off an ambush is useful and p. cool) but staying hidden. As long as your remain undetected, AI will stop doing its super obnoxious " end each turn just millimeter outside of your movement range" shuffle and actually allow you to intercept their armies and get field battles. I pretty much switch to ambush stance at the end of each turn when I am at war with someone, and I have a shitload of field battles that way.

Sorry, I meant the actual battle maps. I actually think the strategic layer of TWW is really good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's too bad ambushes are almost impossible in the badlands compared to literally anywhere else.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's too bad ambushes are almost impossible in the badlands compared to literally anywhere else.

This is why Beastmen rule. Play them with at least a modicum of intelligence, and they don't give a gently caress about dudes trying to run away.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
E: Never mind

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 8, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I just started a VC campaign on VH, un modded. Any tips for the campaign besides research lahmia and get gold mines up and running asap?

E:. Actually, an advice on VC on battle besides tarpit with zombies/graveguard and smash with monsters/blood knights would be really appreciated too. :kiddo:

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 8, 2016

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ravenfood posted:

I just started a VC campaign on VH, un modded. Any tips for the campaign besides research lahmia and get gold mines up and running asap?

E:. Actually, an advice on VC on battle besides tarpit with zombies/graveguard and smash with monsters/blood knights would be really appreciated too. :shobon:

The counter to skirmishers is Vlad.

The counter to enemy cavalry is Vlad.

The counter to enemy siege engines is Vlad.

The counter to enemy lords is Vlad.

The counter to enemy settlements is Vlad.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

E:. Actually, an advice on VC on battle besides tarpit with zombies/graveguard and smash with monsters/blood knights would be really appreciated too. :shobon:

Rush down the Empire (not the provinces, the actual Empire faction, although you will need to kill a few to get to them) and prioritize getting Vampire and Necromancer buildings. Necromancers are good for deploying for buildup or in any eco province, they have an early income skill.

Dire wolves are much better than they get credit for, they're the fastest light cavalry in the game. Use debuff magic.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

E:. Actually, an advice on VC on battle besides tarpit with zombies/graveguard and smash with monsters/blood knights would be really appreciated too. :kiddo:

For the campaign, a good start is unifying Sylvania in around 6 turns and then sacking the empire provinces to your west/north and or the dwarves to your south/east to get Sylvania built up as much as possible. If you expand your borders too quick into the empire you leave yourself vulnerable. I don't know if they changed vampiric corruption recently but it takes a while to build up, especially early on and not having it will mean inevitable rebellions until you do. The rebels aren't tough to kill but on the harder difficulties you'll be forced to constantly put down rebellions which ties up your armies. If you corrupt them before your invasion through agents, witch houses and the lahmian tree you won't have as many problems. That's why it can be a good idea early on to just sack the neighboring areas and pour all the money into Sylvania to get level 2 garrison buildings in all the minor towns and vampire crypts/necromancer towers in the main cities. Then when you're ready can start absorbing new provinces without any trouble.

Once Sylvania is secure you can decide if you want to try to destroy the empire before the chaos invasion or after. Either way you'll probably want to start pushing into Averland/Wisseland/Stirland. But waiting for Archaeon and slapping him around will make you popular with civilization and you can get trade deals and alliances out of them but as soon as you destroy Chaos it becomes what have you done for me lately and all the relations boosts that you get from fighting Chaos go away so those deals may not last in the age of peace. Having alliances with human or dwarf factions that have imperial distrust or vampiric influence traits can be useful though and you might be able to keep them around with steady gifts. That's if you want to be diplomatic. The diplomatic side is a little lacking with the VC though. It would be cool if empire factions you vassalize turn their portrait and units vampiric, or if vampiric rebellions succeed in their territory.

You probably don't want to expand north until Chaos is done though since that territory is really spread out and a lot harder to defend than if you only go west and south. Destroying Chaos when they try to invade Sylvania is easy if you see it coming and have at least two stacks with lightning strike prepared.

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

I'm playing an empire campaign and boy I guess I picked the wrong allies because they are getting beat up pretty bad. I can't just sit around protecting them and going after their enemy would be biting off more than I can chew. Time to let them figure it out for themselves.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
NEver count on your allies. They are only there to distract other fronts until you can refocus on them. If they are losing, view it as an opportunity to expand.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Ally up with Bretonia. bonus points if you help them expand. My Empire VH/Legendary campaigns are generally just holding my settlements while watching endless hordes of colourful knights gallop off to fight all who bother me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't even make allies anymore unless a quest needs it and the faction stands a good chance of getting destroyed (Nordland). I've had plenty of times where a neighboring Dwarf faction declares war on some Empire/Bretonnian shithole, opening up a new front, ruining my trade income, and ruining my reliability rating; every single time, it loving sucks. Don't let the dumbass AI drag you into bullshit wars.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So, I took over both east and west Sylvania as Vlad and...unlocked Helman Ghorst instead of Mannfred. That's interesting. Not unwanted, since his research buff is nice, but a bit unexpected.

e: I did Occupy my last city which may count towards Ghorst's requirements. Maybe my problem was unlocking both at once?
e2: Yep, got both, just needed to advance a turn.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 8, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Got my replays up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btVUoeafp58

I actually know how I could have won these matches, I just didn't do it. It's the advice I've always been given but didn't do myself here. Ignore characters with their healing potions, ignore steam tanks or whatever, crush the actual army and let morale do its work. Wouldn't have worked against that Brettonia list obviously but I did win that one. That match was a little bit triggering, I've played about 3 games since patch 3 out of 5 ladder matches where I was playing against nothing but cycle charging units that had regen with 2 small unbreakable land units that were hidden in the back so if I seem particularly hostile to the strategy that's why. Doubly since the guy would keep charging them into melee then immediately go to the air to force a draw. Didn't happen here but a similar style of using the lack of unit collision to keep those units far safer than they should be really brings out my angry side.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Qvark posted:

Ambush stance helps somewhat, but yeah, chasing armies across the map (which inevitably means that they're always JUST beyond your maximum range) is infuriating.

Also, they totally tried to add in unwalled strategic assets on the campaign map in Empire and Napoleon (where your provincial improvements were), but that only sort of worked. Mostly the AI would zip in, wreck everything, and zip out before you could do anything about it, which lead to a lot of repairing.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I do sometimes wonder if they could look again at campaigns and what is fun from the ground up.

In an ideal world I would like campaigns to describe a better narrative. Win one or several field battles, then besiege the capital (or maybe the provincial capital?) in a massive assault. Every fight is a set piece, and feels worthwhile. No need for autoresolve. Lose too many troops in early battles and you may end up with a stalemate, or (depending how far you got) in holding onto some of the other guy's land. Call a campaign short if someone else invades while you're attacking and you need to recall the troops, and/or assign some troops to defence.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I sort of agree, but I think the problems more or less go back to Rome 1 and the hangovers from the 3D granular strategic map they implemented then. I really enjoy the strategic layer in this game but its issues stem from CA never quite getting a handle on the uneasy transition from risk-style provinces to the 'you can move your armies anywhere' model.

Qvark
May 4, 2010
Soiled Meat

Beefeater1980 posted:

I do sometimes wonder if they could look again at campaigns and what is fun from the ground up.

In an ideal world I would like campaigns to describe a better narrative. Win one or several field battles, then besiege the capital (or maybe the provincial capital?) in a massive assault. Every fight is a set piece, and feels worthwhile. No need for autoresolve. Lose too many troops in early battles and you may end up with a stalemate, or (depending how far you got) in holding onto some of the other guy's land. Call a campaign short if someone else invades while you're attacking and you need to recall the troops, and/or assign some troops to defence.

They should probably just copy EU4, not sure what they did right but I seldomly get the same frustration with that game.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Absolutely. I often play intentionally badly on the campaign map because my goal is to get in cool fights against peer armies.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Anyone have any luck helping out/vassalizing Karak Azul as the Dwarves? Conquering the entire Badlands nets you enough Imperium to trigger the Chaos invasion, so I wonder if using a vassal Karak Azul to hold everything south of Death Pass won't trigger the invasion...

Normally NAP/trade/access treaties is enough for me for keeping factions friendly, but I need to keep my armies replenished in the field and you need friendly territory to get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
Think I've decided to finally get this game. Is the DLC worth it? And any must have mods?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

ganglysumbia posted:

Think I've decided to finally get this game. Is the DLC worth it? And any must have mods?

The DLC is nice but not necessary - they mainly allow you to play as additional races. If you are looking to play as Empire or VC you might wanna pick up Grim and the Grave.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

ganglysumbia posted:

Play trough the base game first (do get the gore DLC however, its cheap and Warhammer/TW without blood is just silly) and you will have chance to encounter the DLC races (chaos and beastmen currently) as enemies and see if they look cool enough for you to want to buy them.
Also agree that if you enjoy Empire or Vampires gameplay the latest DLC grim and grave is definitely worth it too.

For me personally all the DLC so far has been real worth it and I had a ton of fun with all of it, the beastmen where a bit expensive but they're fun as all hell to play.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fangz posted:

The DLC is nice but not necessary - they mainly allow you to play as additional races. If you are looking to play as Empire or VC you might wanna pick up Grim and the Grave.

playing total warhammer without the blood and gore DLC is pure heresy for all religions of the game.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
The DLC is generally worthwhile, but I would recommend being sure you want to actually use Chaos or Beastman before buying their respective pack. They are in the game as rivals even if you don't buy the DLC, you just can't select them.

I ended up turning off the blood DLC, since it was hurting the games performance and makes all the units look like they rolled in mud after a few minutes into battle.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

I dont know posted:

I ended up turning off the blood DLC, since it was hurting the games performance and makes all the units look like they rolled in mud after a few minutes into battle.

Sigmar forbids this!

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

I dont know posted:

The DLC is generally worthwhile, but I would recommend being sure you want to actually use Chaos or Beastman before buying their respective pack. They are in the game as rivals even if you don't buy the DLC, you just can't select them.

Chaos gets more unit varieties if you own the pack than are in the base game. I think they also get more legendary lords, with Archaon being the only one in the base game. It kinda shows that Kholek wasn't always in the game when one of Gelt's quest battles is trying to stop him from being awoken. Since Kholek is in the game now, it's entirely possible for Gelt to be racing to block Kholek from awakening while Kholek is actually razing the north, or has just been killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

I dont know posted:

I wish there was an option to turn off the blood decal effects, but leave on the gibbs and spray when units die. It's actually quite helpful to see how many models are killed in a charge vs knockdown, but as you say it makes every unit look 90% red after a few minutes combat.

• Locked thread