Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mirificus posted:

Gorf found this a while back. Around the 53-minute mark, Sandi comes in late having returned from an audition. She mentions that she was a science teacher and how bad she was as one. She's so rarely critical about herself that it makes the claim somewhat more plausible.

https://www.twitch.tv/cigcommunity/v/47684941

I'm surprised she could get hired as a science teacher without a degree in the education field. Not surprised, though, if she was hired and didn't do a very good job of it as a consequence. No good teacher would equate 'silencing doubters' with handling difficult students. The last thing you should want to do is remove students from a class because it disrupts your lesson, wastes your time, wastes the time of another member of staff, wastes the time of every kid in the class, and also wastes the time of the kid in question because they aren't learning poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Does the Gizmondo financials guy still work at CIG?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I'm holding out my golden manbabes for page 5555 :colbert:

Guess what Star Titizen is a good game.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lime Tonics posted:

They updated the spinning lady illusion,

http://i.imgur.com/b2dmHH3.gifv

Did we get a release date for the release date for the release date for the ^infinite.
this flips more easily for me than the original

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Artisanal hand crafted, bespoke, Jpegs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

IronicDongz posted:

this flips more easily for me than the original

Can they even be considered illusions?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

CrazyTolradi posted:

Actually, someone show Chris KSP and how it handles spaceflight, re-entry, heat and gravity. Imagine the amount of rework that would trigger.
It's not WW2 in space, so he won't care. The only games that he'll notice and demand his team to plagiarize are either really pretty, or really high-selling, or both.

Plus, KSP would just confuse the living poo poo out of him on every level. Gravity? Fuel? Physics? MATH? It'd be like asking a pumpkin to fill out a tax form. He'd bounce off of it harder and faster than one of the jankiest Star Citizen spaceships getting punted off a landing pad by a T-posed dude in space underpants. They'd find him in Fiji a week later (holding a first class ticket stub).

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq
After reading a bunch of comments I had to post a comment to rant a bit.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought we had all come to the conclusion that "release dates" were an artificial construct created by publishing companies because they are greedy. And also very greedy.

For me, CIG's emancipation from the publisher-based system, thanks overwhelmingly to the community, meant that there would be no release date, ever. Regardless of what press releases say, because no one with game-breaking authority is breathing down their necks.

So no one should be shocked by a "release date" passing with no release. It is mystifying that they even quote dates at all. I am positive I remember early in the Kickstarter days CR saying that it would be ready "when it's ready."

Which is, quite literally, the perfect release date.

I can't say I'm happy every time I hear there is a delay of some sort, but I can say I'm happier hearing that than playing (or not playing) a broken/unfinished, "released-on-time" game.

Sorry, I know it was a bit off topic, but it needed to be done.

/rant

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
When Sandi was hired as a teacher, did she teach evolution or creationism?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Karmalis posted:

When Sandi was hired as a teacher, did she teach evolution or creationism?

Evolution - she is the best biologist in the world and has been ever since she was a little girl

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Exinos posted:

For me, CIG's emancipation from the publisher-based system, thanks overwhelmingly to the community, meant that there would be no release date, ever. Regardless of what press releases say, because no one with game-breaking authority is breathing down their necks.

So no one should be shocked by a "release date" passing with no release. It is mystifying that they even quote dates at all. I am positive I remember early in the Kickstarter days CR saying that it would be ready "when it's ready."

Nah, he said 2014 back then. It started a fine tradition of breaking promises that continues to this day.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

Here is my rig

Monitor is a TV

Look at those two optical drives running a RAID-1 array to speed up loading times

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
The LEVEL article was a really good read. Long but totally worth it.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Exinos posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I thought we had all come to the conclusion that "release dates" were an artificial construct created by publishing companies because they are greedy. And also very greedy.

I can't say I'm happy every time I hear there is a delay of some sort, but I can say I'm happier hearing that than playing (or not playing) a broken/unfinished, "released-on-time" game.

/rant
You are so right! CIG and CR are tantric developers! They develop and develop but never release!

But you also touched on the catch-22 with CIG. CIG already has their money. CIG releasing a bad game would only stop the money train. So why even bother? The joke will be us in the end. Squadron 42 has been done since 2014. CR wants to release the game, but Sandi is smart enough to realize that if they ever released their bad game the dream would be over.

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 8, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

kikkelivelho posted:

I just want you to imagine something. Imagine you're sitting in your office. You're nervous. Six months ago you gave your programmers a daunting task: to create the foundation for the most advanced and detailed MMO in existence. None of this has been done before, or even attempted by others. None the less, your engineers are cautiously optimistic, "we can do this" you all think together. You've always been confident in your abilities, but now you're sweating. No way to know if it'll work the way you've planned it. Finally, your head programmer comes to your office. He has news. He burst into a massive smile and tells you. They've not only succeeded in the task, they gone beyond what you thought was possible on modern hardware. Suddenly systems and mechanics you thought were years away are now here, before your game has even released. Planetary landings, thousand man instances and millions of smart, simulated AI actors, all suddenly made possible by your programmers. Just imagine that, and you might understand how CIG are feeling right now.

Fine, I shall channel my (rather, someone else's) inner Citizen, and use the favored retort - "You have no evidence. Prove it!" This isn't church. I don't need to have faith.

In the immortal words of Ray Cameron from Night of the Creeps - "Thrill me."

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

hakimashou posted:

The developers of that game, who lets face it are really actually bad at making a fun game, are bowing to the spergs and plan to add arbitrary delays to the 'have your ships delivered' feature.

At the request of the community.

There is no such thing as a good space ship game.

For some reason, THIS is what made me lose it at work today. :pgabz: well done. It just shows you how bad the gaming community really is, and no one is safe.

Chris Ihao posted:

Because the rest of the room got these things in it dumbass:

Fail due to lack of ukulele. But points for TWO accordions.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/50i7pc/the_chris_roberts_theory_of_everything/d7c2wev

This guy is my new favourite person on the internet. Apparently Arena Commander is 'fun' if you buy 2 joysticks and have 3 tables/1 mobile phone in your sperg battlestation.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

Lime Tonics posted:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lime Tonics posted:

Did we get a release date for the release date for the release date for the ^infinite.

That one switches too easily, I can't keep it spinning in the same direction

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line

Chiwie posted:

This guy is my new favourite person on the internet. Apparently Arena Commander is 'fun' if you buy 2 joysticks and have 3 tables/1 mobile phone in your sperg battlestation.

Sperging on a budget. Everything in that photo looks cheap and awful.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

alphabettitouretti posted:

http://m.imgur.com/a/WpXMe

Here's that level article on imgur. It was in Derek's post the other day, but I guess not many bother to read them.

The opening paras describing Crobber trying to play star citizen is brutal.

Thanks for that - a good read!

Cavendish
Feb 26, 2016
Just wanted to say thank you to this thread and Derek.

My friend, after a year of struggle, finaly got his refund this morning.
CIG being CIG sent the money twice ofc, so now he needs to refund half the refund, but still!

Cavendish fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Sep 8, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cavendish posted:

Just wanted to say thank you to this tread and Derek.

My friend, after a year of struggle, finaly got his refund this morning.
CIG being CIG sent the money twice ofc, so now he needs to refund half the refund, but still!
Does he have to, according to TOS?

Cavendish
Feb 26, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

Does he have to, according to TOS?

No idea, but he is weak and easily scared.

I told him to sit on the money and say nothing since I suspect their accounting works about as well as the PU.

(Then again, I dont understand ethical development so...)

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Cavendish posted:

No idea, but he is weak and easily scared.

I told him to sit on the money and say nothing since I suspect their accounting works about as well as the PU.

(Then again, I dont understand ethical development so...)

This is it, the opportunity to get CIG in a courtroom and get all the financials! :byodood:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Rotation puzzles/illusions unironically have one weird trick to them.

Focus your eyes on outside of one of the top corners to brute force it to rotate one way, then focus on the outside of one of the bottom corners. Switch which side you look at if it doesn't work. It's all about looking up and down and what perspective the eye expects to see, not left to right.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

That one switches too easily, I can't keep it spinning in the same direction

That's the first one I've ever had work for me and I didn't expect such a stark difference.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Xaerael posted:

Rotation puzzles/illusions unironically have one weird trick to them.

Focus your eyes on outside of one of the top corners to brute force it to rotate one way, then focus on the outside of one of the bottom corners. Switch which side you look at if it doesn't work. It's all about looking up and down and what perspective the eye expects to see, not left to right.

It just doesn't work, the face is always up front to me and it switches direction every half turn. If I concentrate on her arms I can make it go a full turn, but even then the face seems to revolve in the opposite direction

loving annoying

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That LEVEL article is great reading, and amazingly blunt.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Exinos posted:

/rant

You're gonna have to clarify why you think greed is the cause of release dates, but CIG are doing a really good demonstration of why release dates are so important.

It is entirely possible to develop a game for 100 years. Have a giant scope, keep expanding and refactoring to chase the competition, you can just keep going and going, never finishing anything. The fact is that there's only one reason most games make progress and get released at all and that's accountability brought on by deadlines.

Maybe there were a bunch of people blaming publishers for pressuring developers to release games, but star citizen is a first rate case study on why that sort of thinking it's wrong. SC will never be released until cig are forced to do it by some externally imposed deadline - probably funding drying up or talent quitting - and when that happens, they'll be at the helm of a vast monstrosity with no plan for how to finish it off.

All the money and time in the world can't buy an arrogant man like Chris Roberts the one thing really needs: accountability

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Chris Ihao posted:

Because the rest of the room got these things in it dumbass:

Now, you go ask your girlfriend or wife "can I please get a seperate room for my gaming pc as well?". :colbert: I feel lucky as hell she lets me have the biggest room in the house for myself.

Friendo I feel like those foam panels might be fighting a losing battle against the acres of hard plastic walls.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Exinos posted:

/rant

Just to address a point, Chris Roberts said "no delivery dates" last year during Citcon (to applause of course) after he became annoyed by people complaining that they kept silently missing the deadlines they had put out. "No delivery dates" is a relatively recent thing, which was ruined by the 2016 they put in the Squadron 42 trailer.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Exinos posted:

/rant

Hoping you were quoting a shitizen from elsewhere.

Otherwise... how much you in for commando?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

:staredog:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

"No release date" is the same as "no budget"; if you can't commit to even a vague release date than you have no respect for your money or your employees. It isn't free to develop a game. Valve and Blizzard get away with it (but not really even anymore) because they have almost endless cash reserves - cash reserves they got through previous, successfully launched games as well as investments and the like.

It should make you very nervous when someone's entire bank came from donations and then they turn around and say, "gently caress it, I'll spend as much as I want. No commitments!"

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Mendrian posted:

"No release date" is the same as "no budget"; if you can't commit to even a vague release date than you have no respect for your money or your employees. It isn't free to develop a game. Valve and Blizzard get away with it (but not really even anymore) because they have almost endless cash reserves - cash reserves they got through previous, successfully launched games as well as investments and the like.

It should make you very nervous when someone's entire bank came from donations and then they turn around and say, "gently caress it, I'll spend as much as I want. No commitments!"

Actually crisps robbins said they aren't dodgy at all???

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It just doesn't work, the face is always up front to me and it switches direction every half turn. If I concentrate on her arms I can make it go a full turn, but even then the face seems to revolve in the opposite direction

loving annoying

Yeah, same here. Once I had seen both directions, it became far more difficult to see the full revolution than to make it change directions. I suppose that could be considered a variation of the theme, but I don't think it's what they intended.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mendrian posted:

But crobbers said that all the money is going into the game? Gotta spend the 120mil somehow, even if it's redoing the same poo poo for the fifth time right??? Wouldn't want to go against ~the pledge~

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Truga posted:

But crobbers said that all the money is going into the game? Gotta spend the 120mil somehow, even if it's redoing the same poo poo for the fifth time right??? Wouldn't want to go against ~the pledge~

You know when Roberts says all the money is going into the game, I mostly believe him despite what I am sure is an outrageous salary paid to both Sandi and himself. It's just that, you know, not all expenditures are created equal. Eventually they're going to run out of money and if they aren't planning the end date than they haven no idea how much they actually have available to spend. That's what release dates are for - they aren't the product of 'greedy' publishers, it's the only way to estimate when you're going to need to stop development based on your cash flow.

The fact that citizens - the very people who are giving him money - seem to assume an infinite influx of money is sort of sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Tippis posted:

Yeah, same here. Once I had seen both directions, it became far more difficult to see the full revolution than to make it change directions. I suppose that could be considered a variation of the theme, but I don't think it's what they intended.

If you want her to keep moving in the same direction just keep repeating in your head which way she's facing and moving your eyes to anticipate where her nose or arms will be.

I can only really get her to reliably switch when I turn off looping or look away for a second.

• Locked thread