Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Crabtree posted:

If transformation modes have different specials, than I can only wonder if A: Griffith shifts into Femto and B: How goddamn crazy the Zerker armor can get.

It'd be neat if it worked like Lucci in the One Piece musous, where he can transform mid-combo. I imagine Golden Age Griffith and Femto will be distinct characters, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Begemot posted:

It'd be neat if it worked like Lucci in the One Piece musous, where he can transform mid-combo. I imagine Golden Age Griffith and Femto will be distinct characters, though.

i thought that at first too, but since griffith has been reincarnated they might do something with it.

the only thing is that i don't think he's never been shown switching into an "apostle" form from his current state

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Begemot posted:

If it isn't, I can only hope there is a version of Griffith where his special is either that weird crushing orb poo poo he did in the third movie or he turns into the Hawk of Light and just smashes through people.

Also, really dumb story question incoming: Who do you think will reveal to be more like Guts between giving Skull Knight or Zodd a backstory? Because I always thought it'd be interesting if Zodd was a reverse Guts if he became an Apostle to get stronger or to be on level with/surpass Gaiseric. And when Void sacrifices the emperor's empire for a world of his faith, Zodd shows up during the eclipse and the 1000 year struggle begins.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Crabtree posted:

Also, really dumb story question incoming: Who do you think will reveal to be more like Guts between giving Skull Knight or Zodd a backstory? Because I always thought it'd be interesting if Zodd was a reverse Guts if he became an Apostle to get stronger or to be on level with/surpass Gaiseric. And when Void sacrifices the emperor's empire for a world of his faith, Zodd shows up during the eclipse and the 1000 year struggle begins.
"People have been telling war stories about him for close to a hundred years". Given that some of the other legends related by the characters claim to stretch back one thousand years, this would seem to suggest that Zodd is either a standard apostle or a result of the most recent eclipse. On the other hand, Zodd seems to know about the eclipse and what happens therein, and says to SK, "You did come. You, who've been our foe for a millenium", so Zodd may predate Void (indeed, everyone).

So here's a crazy idea. Gaiseric builds his kingdom but it becomes a place of "feasting and pleasure". Zodd is one of Gaiseric's warriors (perhaps Griffith-Guts like) but is detached from all of those "rewards" of the battles (he's on record as later claiming to not care about the feasting at the eclipse).

The "wise man" is some wizard who calls upon the four main spirits to destroy Gaiseric's kingom, driving Gaiseric to use the behelit to "counterattack" (for indeed he would have been in great despair over the loss of his kingdom). Gaiseric becomes Void, he sacrifices all of the people of the kingdom, but his generals and friends (and Zodd) become apostles --- if it's the first Eclipse, there need not be any existing hungry apostles, and it would make sense that his gluttonous group would become them. Zodd sees the whole thing as silly and basically walks out, or is sent out to hunt down the wise man.

Meanwhile the wise man escapes (using existing magic skills) but starts to craft or fashion various armor to protect himself from the apostles that are now in the world. The Berserker armor gives him the power (that he otherwise lacks) to defeat them, but he's imprisoned both by his own drives and still effectively stuck within the cell that Gaiseric created. The armor consumes him and the wise man becomes Skull Knight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hirasawa's "Ash Crow" album is out next week. All these new Berserk songs in all their glory fucccck

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oh my god lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hmmm, noticed something during the opening...

Just to compare because I thought I was mistaken but

:lol:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

this keeps getting better the closer i look at it

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Did Tim Buckley animate this?

Berserk did the Loss episode years before he did

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is why I drink while I watch this. So I miss these details.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Awesome Welles posted:

Just to compare because I thought I was mistaken but

:lol:

I was just about to post the same thing. I love the OP of the show and noticed right away something was off.

The fans won?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
The funny thing is, Mozgus's transformation looks relatively fine in this style. It's the people and their lack of emotion in some shots that continue to just keep giving this series its - uh, "unique" quality of showing off a play performed by real dolls.

Also, I really hope the rest start to loving do anything because goddamn it, is the gape fest getting more and more noticeable. Like I get it, Guts is the protag and is an anime, but for fucks sake, let people actually do something instead of just watch in every episode.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Awesome Welles posted:

Am I supposed to be seeing that Casca has evolved from being a ghost? Or is there something else incredibly arcane in here like the shadow on Guts' face not matching his hairline.

I don't have the opportunity these days to be drunk enough to watch this show. Maybe some year.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Am I supposed to be seeing that Casca has evolved from being a ghost? Or is there something else incredibly arcane in here like the shadow on Guts' face not matching his hairline.

I don't have the opportunity these days to be drunk enough to watch this show. Maybe some year.

In the more recent version of the OP Casca is darker skinned.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Casca is dark-skinned. She used to be practically white in the OP.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Oh my god it multiplied.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Mozgus had good animation this episode, but WOW was it lacking in the sound department. When Mozgus was punching Guts it sounded like they just played a recording of a stick of firecrackers. I also felt that it was one of the weakest episodes in direction and pacing.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
In today's episode of DBZ, Mozgus powers up a bunch and monologues. Then a fight happens.

Haven't read the relevant chapters in so long that I can't say if they could have sped it up a whole hell of a lot, but that's how a lot of it played out on screen. Also the directing still sucks, and the weird sketchy 2D is starting to be more unsettling to me than the awkward 3D.

On censorship: Most of the blood is jet black (which it actually probably would be in the dead of night) and the two beheaded characters visible at the end make me think the flicker of black interrupting a sword slash by the hooker's boyfriend is another cut/trimmed scene.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The 3d model of the boyfriend knight is one of the worst ones. Whenever they have a shot with his stupid face with the 3d model and not a drawing it's like "oh man, how did they get away with this one."

I really want to know what people's production schedules are like on this show. If everyone is working 80 hour weeks and this is the best they can do then alright, bad luck. If they're putting in 40 and calling it done then I wish I was on this staff. I could animate some half decent shots and fumble with the face rig until it seemed relatively appealing.

It's Japan though so they probably are getting worked half to death and this is really all their schedule allows. It's just bad planning and direction that is allowing the series to look like this.

Mugticket
Sep 13, 2011

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
That part looked like something straight out of that "Rx - Bumble" video.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lmao

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All I could think during this episode was "this would be the coolest poo poo if it didn't look like total poo poo" which is basically Berserk 2016 in a nutshell. :smith:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lord almighty, how is this the best they can do. I mean everyone's tearing this a new rear end in a top hat already for all the awful CG, but hot drat, this is like some early gmod level animation.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

All I could think during this episode was "this would be the coolest poo poo if it didn't look like total poo poo" which is basically Berserk 2016 in a nutshell. :smith:

Berserk 2016: This Would Be The Coolest poo poo If It Didn't Look Like poo poo

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

What makes that even more puzzling is they use 2D for a lot of closeups and poo poo so what the gently caress was the mindset behind not just doing a hand drawn face for something like that?

What are they odds they fix up the animation for the Bluray release?

I want to believe that this poo poo can at least look mediocre as opposed to aggressively bad :(

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
The thing about 3D animation is that going back and fixing something is comparatively trivial. The problem with Berserk is that there is so much to fix.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'd be all over a mediocre version of Berserk 2016. What does that say about me?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just get OLM or whatever the gently caress company did it back in 97 that also did Pokemon (lol), if it had animation on par with that I'd honestly be OK.

At least the new series has a dope opening, I feel like that's the only thing they did well minus white washing Casca

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZnGelHnfE

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Now that I got to see all of 11 I can fully say this. gently caress you for cutting out a fight between Skull Knight and Zodd. You probably ran out of digital ink too, you bastards.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I liked this shot that they chose to highlight in the preview for the next episode:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I would prefer a static shot of Guts to.... that.

Also pro-tip to animators, the muscles that move the eyebrows are in the center of the forehead. It's nearly impossible to just move the ends of the eyebrows like in that shot.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 11, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

turtlecrunch posted:

I liked this shot that they chose to highlight in the preview for the next episode:

Why does the blood above right eye lid disappear when he raises his eyebrow? Oh because its a lazy undo and/or slight edit of the model? Welp.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 11, 2016

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
It looks like it's a static model and the eye is moving to cover it.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Is Japan as upset about this as we are? Are the people responsible for this monstrosity being hounded on Twitter like they should be?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Is Japan as upset about this as we are? Are the people responsible for this monstrosity being hounded on Twitter like they should be?

I don't know about widespread, but the couple friends I have over there have been equally as appalled by how bad this has gotten.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Usually nerd opinions are the same regardless of cultures, except they bitch about bad Japanese dubs.:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Awesome Welles posted:

Just get OLM or whatever the gently caress company did it back in 97 that also did Pokemon (lol), if it had animation on par with that I'd honestly be OK.

At least the new series has a dope opening, I feel like that's the only thing they did well minus white washing Casca

Except the opening is trash and sounds like it belongs in front of a generic shonen.