Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
The removal of single player was very transparently a DRM thing but the bullshit reason provided was that computers wouldn't be able to handle it without dedicating gigs to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah, I think it's DRM. This game isn't doing anything NMS doesn't do, and probably has MORE worlds all seeded in a possibly bigger universe with the added burden of letting me be able to land on fully generated moons and planets. I can't think of one thing that would necessitate online play except to validate discoveries or somethin else.

And I am currently tethering on an unlimited plan, but i'm about to lose it, i'll be on a burner for a bit and it will be a few weeks before i have cable back.

I've reached the point of over-sharing but that's why i'm bitching.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Paramemetic posted:

The removal of single player was very transparently a DRM thing but the bullshit reason provided was that computers wouldn't be able to handle it without dedicating gigs to it.

Simcity used this same excuse, but eventually admitted to it being untrue and added :turianass: offline :turianass: single-player. Pretty sure you still had to login through their stupid servers so meh.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Boogalo posted:

Visit the PGS thread, sign up for frogs, join discord, get answers. Those might not all be in the right order. You're getting into the middle of a gamedev forumwar breakdown so this might not be the best place to get real answers for the next couple of days.

Frogs are fun. Join Frogs.

Ribbit.

I want to do this but I'm super casual. Are the frog people casual friendly?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
I jsut realized right now we have NO option for ship transfer, so even a delayed one would be better than zilch.
Instant would be better-better, but still.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
In relation to the frogs thing, and in more-than-one-wing private play in general - is there actually a point beyond either carrying people in RES or knowing it's a goon who just blew me up then used thrusters to teabag my wreckage? This is a genuine question, not a sarcastic one. The multiplayer aspect seems a little limited. Can you share missions in wings or anything like that?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I jsut realized right now we have NO option for ship transfer, so even a delayed one would be better than zilch.

Pfft. We still have module storage to debate, right?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When you're in a multiplayer instance, everyone will see the same missions, by and large. You can absolutely go and do them together.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Mailer posted:

Pfft. We still have module storage to debate, right?

This is what im most excited for.
I can then switch between single player and multiplayer lasers without having to screw around on 1-2 seperate weapon-storage-ships!

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

I tried Elite out yesterday with just a mouse and keyboard but just couldn't find a decent way to control my ship. What are other people's experience with M&K? Is it better to buy a flight control stick or am I just really bad at flying stuff...

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

lockdar posted:

I tried Elite out yesterday with just a mouse and keyboard but just couldn't find a decent way to control my ship. What are other people's experience with M&K? Is it better to buy a flight control stick or am I just really bad at flying stuff...

I have friends who have full throttle setups, use an Xbox controller, or M&K. It seems fine on all those.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

quote:

The more I thought about it, post 2.2 - You pretty much won't have to worry about Combat ship FSD range limits at all anymore.
You could even fit a smaller class FSD for less power draw instead - and still have that ship available to fight 100's of LY in any direction by just flying there first in a hauler/asp-x or similar there first and transferring it across. Either instant transferred or delayed, this will seriously change ship build/balance mechanics that have been in place for a long time.
I know that lots of players are looking forward to combat ships finally being able to get around the bubble easier - but there was always a balance of effectiveness vs limited range on purpose for combat ships, I guess soon not so much?
Not sure how to fix this one.. unless it is really expensive to transfer, but even that won't deter the cashed up veterans. Thoughts?
:cripes:

quote:

Easy. You place a cooldown on how frequently a ship can be transferred.
One transfer per ship per week.

:cripes::cripes:

I officially hate this game's community. Never have I seen so many people that hate fun this much. The quality of the contrived examples they come up with to counter instant xfer is abysmal. gently caress everything

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 8, 2016

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Chrysophylax posted:

I officially hate this game's community. Never have I seen so many people that hate fun this much. The quality of the contrived examples they come up with to counter instant xfer is abysmal. gently caress everything
The mask slips a bit there, since a cooldown on transfers is itself unrealistic.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Paramemetic posted:

Because Space Engine isn't a thing!

That was a good try on their part though.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I think it was more about how the BGS and stuff functions. I don't see that it was necessarily just a 'we want DRM but don't want to tell the players that' thing - if anything it's more :frontear: to do what they say they did, which is develop the entire engine in a way that needs a connection to the servers, and then turn around just before launch and say 'uh, so guys...'

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I vaguely remember :frontear: more or less saying it was specifically a combo of DRM and to authenticate store purchases.

Anyway the "if you don't like it ask for a refund" window closed long, long ago so here we are :toot:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Crow posted:

Voted delay, have fun grognards :cheers:

Lol, you have elite dangerous

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Paramemetic posted:

My amiga 3000 could generate a galaxy, but on the other hand there were pretty strong limitations like ship hardware had wear and tear (so you would need to be exploring near the bubble or your ship systems would basically stop working) and that some planets or gas giants weren't even solid (so you would stop fuel scooping from them).

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

They said the part that individual computers couldn't handle was the simulation of all the BGS stuff across the whole galaxy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

lockdar posted:

Having spent time using them all now I'd say flight stick > controller > k+m

All are viable though with a little practise and playing around with different control schemes.

I was personally very surprised with the controller being as good as it is, frontier have done very clever control schemes that manage to get everything on the pad through combinations and long pressing buttons brings up reminders for what buttons do.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

lockdar posted:

In terms of the important controls, I used this video as a guide. Rolling on Q/E and flying that way somehow made more sense in the space of a couple hours than years of attempting to use sticks did.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

AnimalChin posted:

Frogs cover the whole spectrum. Help as much or as casually as you want. But even if contribute nothing at all it's nice to hang around with them. I'm always running the Frog discord chat even when not playing Elite because Frogs are cool dudes.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Well I tried to sign up for it because there was a push, but it said my registration was invalid because I didn't put anything in the inara fields.

I had never heard of inara before 10 minutes ago, but is it necessary to sign up to, to join the diamond frogs? Because the fields lacked the red asterisks...

Morter fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 8, 2016

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

AnimalChin posted:

Not only are we casual friendly, we're actually tryhard hostile.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Paramemetic posted:

Not only are we casual friendly, we're actually tryhard hostile.

Goons are the best thing about this grognard game. By a huge loving margin.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Holy gently caress thanks to using private instead of open and CapnBry's ahk script (with some local modifications) I just filled up a 416t conda in 36 minutes. This is the best thing.

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

Paramemetic posted:

I think you're all wrong. It was clearly a case of "oh, OH, we had the intern implement this and he made it a web service. -- how would we even... aah gently caress"

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
I think they dropped offline because all their customers have an internet connection or they wouldn't have been able to buy and download the game. Most people leave the internet connected 24/7 now and with online only getting ever closer to being industry standard why bother spending cash or time on a feature very few people would actually use.

They just didn't predict the amount of people who would go internet crazy about it and groan and sulk for years.

I voted for delayed transfers, as I only own one ship.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
What's the most effective weapon loadout for Vultures? I put this game down for a year or so - back then, pulse lasers were king and I was unstoppable in my Vulture. But now, a year later, something has changed because I'm not very effective at combat anymore and getting blown up a lot!

One thing that definitely changed are subsystems... previously, if you targeting the "power plant" subsystem was stupidly OP because enemy ships would instantly explode when the power plant died. So even if you couldn't deal good hull damage, you could still take out pythons and stuff pretty easily. Are any of the subsystems really worth targeting in the newest version?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Polo-Rican posted:

What's the most effective weapon loadout for Vultures? I put this game down for a year or so - back then, pulse lasers were king and I was unstoppable in my Vulture. But now, a year later, something has changed because I'm not very effective at combat anymore and getting blown up a lot!

One thing that definitely changed are subsystems... previously, if you targeting the "power plant" subsystem was stupidly OP because enemy ships would instantly explode when the power plant died. So even if you couldn't deal good hull damage, you could still take out pythons and stuff pretty easily. Are any of the subsystems really worth targeting in the newest version?

What changed is that the AI got tougher, so enemy ships actually fight back and try not to die now. Vulture with pulse lasers work just as well as they always did (though large multicannons have been added and are now a good option), and killing the powerplant still works just as well. NPC ships just fly better now.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Putting dual incendiary multicannons on a Vulture is hilariously good and fun, but of course a pain to get because you're going to need to use engineer favors to make it happen.

Targeting the power plant is still the most efficient way to kill most NPCs. When it's destroyed the output goes to 50% which for NPCs means they just stop dead in their tracks because they can't manage their modules to keep limping along. Continuing to damage a power plant at 0% incurs a random chance for the ship to instantly explode like before, and usually that ends up being long before the hull reaches 0%.

Gimballed multicannons are still king of rapidly plugging subsystems again and again with minimum effort. The incendiary mod lets you strip shields pretty well while still being able to rapidly destroy power plants.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Rhubarb94 posted:

I voted for delayed transfers, as I only own one ship.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 8, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

lockdar posted:

The friends I play with, one uses a Dualshock, the other has one of those saiteks and the HTC vive, the loving braggart. The HTC vive saitek setup is for sure way more cool and fun, but I have used my DS3 and I loving HATE it compared to kb+m. The keyboard controls are weird to learn, but running the tutorial missions a few times and reviewing the key bind list for anything those forget to teach you, you'll basically have the gist and in a few days you won't want to do it any other way, unless you stumble into $1000 for VR and control peripherals, if you do just go with that.

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
Does anyone know if the "Commander's Log" stuff they are talking about here https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/275151-Commanders-log-manual-and-data-sample is actually live?

I have Verbose Logging turned on, but no Journal.*.log type files...

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

lockdar posted:

I bought a joystick, but I always found mouse and keyboard fine. In fact it took me quite a while to get as good with the joystick as it did with the mouse.

Try using the mouse for pitch/yaw and the A/D keys for roll. That always seemed a lot more natural to me than the default pitch/roll using the mouse.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
Any kind of control interface works fine for the game. The best pilot I know uses a goddamn XBox controller.

Personally, I couldn't get into the game at all with KB/M. I had to get one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Stick-Pc/dp/B001CXYMFS

It's cheap and reliable. Mine is starting to wear out after over a year of extremely heavy use, but I definitely feel like I got my 30 bucks worth.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
This thing looks like it will be good if you are in the market for a HOTAS.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

TomR posted:

This thing looks like it will be good if you are in the market for a HOTAS.

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/t16000m-fcs-hotas

Preordered it on Amazon. Not coming out until next month. Want it soooo bad

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
The T-Flight Hotas is great but a little short on buttons, and the 1600m FCS is coming out next month and will have all the buttons you need, as well as a thumbstick on the throttle to get that sweet, sweet, 6DOF. The only problem is I don't really like the stick layout.

Don't get a saitek. The build quality on a 50 dollar Thrustmaster stick is better than a 250 dollar saitek stick, as well as the ergonomics.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Preordered it on Amazon. Not coming out until next month. Want it soooo bad

You and me and half the org it seems :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty