Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which non-Power of the Daleks story would you like to see an episode found from?
This poll is closed.
Marco Polo 36 20.69%
The Myth Makers 10 5.75%
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 45 25.86%
The Savages 2 1.15%
The Smugglers 2 1.15%
The Highlanders 45 25.86%
The Macra Terror 21 12.07%
Fury from the Deep 13 7.47%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Burkion posted:

I suppose you have a point.

Honestly, one story I hope they recreate sooner than later is Mission To The Unknown/Dalek Master Plan. I understand Ian had Mission to the Unknown animated, which might be one of the best things he's been responsible for because it's just such a wonderful unique idea of an episode that I don't think has ever been done again.

There are episodes where the Doctor has an, at most, tangential role and most of the meat happens with him absent (the Doctor-light episodes in the revival definitely do not count). For some reason Earthshock episode one springs to mind although it's not the best example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

I for one miss when the shooting schedule lasted so long that the team had to think up ways around the main cast's days off

You never knew if you would get a "oh he's sick in the other tent" or a "Jamie's got a new face"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm finally watching series 9, on "Sleep No More," and I haven't liked a single episode so far. The Zygon two-parter is probably the worst thing the revival has done.

Well if it makes you feel any better, you've got one more episode to go before one of the best episodes the show has ever done!

Tim Burns Effect posted:

I for one miss when the shooting schedule lasted so long that the team had to think up ways around the main cast's days off

You never knew if you would get a "oh he's sick in the other tent" or a "Jamie's got a new face"

Or the 1st Doctor showing up in The Keys to Marinus after an absence to proudly declare he is going to represent Ian in a court of law. What has he been doing while he was gone? Brushing up on the law of the local culture perhaps? Nope! He's just gonna defend him anyway! :3:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

My theory is that they've found the whole of power and this animation is just a cover story

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pop the DVD in and BAM

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

My theory is that they've found the whole of power and this animation is just a cover story

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pop the DVD in and BAM

I'm going to take these two posts and consider them two independent confirmations.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerusalem posted:

Well if it makes you feel any better, you've got one more episode to go before one of the best episodes the show has ever done!

Man, "Heaven Sent" was Incredible. Too bad about the other 11 episodes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I wanted so desperately to like series 9 since I thought series 8 was excellent, and they kept suggesting/hinting at there being more to what we were seeing and I thought it was all gonna come together in the end and apply a context to the entire season.... but that never happened. I did really dig the examination of the Doctor/Companion dynamic in the last episode as well as challenging the assumption that it is the companion who is left behind and not the other way around, but that very much felt like something that only really cropped up in the last (half of the last) episode and it basically abandoned a lot of the potential paths the show seemed to be taking throughout the earlier episodes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think every episode but one needed to be a two-part story. The best way to do it was what they did in season one through give: you had three stand-alone episodes, then a two-part story in four and five, then a couple more stand-alone episodes, then a two-part story in eight and nine, then a couple more episodes, then a two-part finale in 12 and 13. The only time I think it was varied was in season two, when "Rise of the Cybermen" and "The Age of Steel" were in episodes five and six rather than four and five.

If I was making a TV series and I had 13 episodes to work with, that's how I would put it together. I don't think there's much sense in starting your season with a two-part episode. I know some American shows do that (because they usually air two-part pilot episodes or season premiers back-to-back on the same night) but when you have a 13 episode season, you don't necessarily have that luxury.

As for season nine, I think I enjoyed more episodes than I didn't like but I would need to watch it again. I don't think there's been any season of the series since 2005 where I disliked more episodes than I liked (unless you count the year of specials; I didn't enjoy any of those. I liked "The Next Doctor" but I'm not sure whether it counts or not).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I liked "The Next Doctor" but I'm not sure whether it counts or not).

It does; that was the first of the 5 "Specials" episodes (the Christmas Specials are always filed as part of the following season's block, with The Snowmen being the one exception to that)

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Okay, in that case, I enjoyed 20% of the year of specials.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wheat Loaf posted:

As for season nine, I think I enjoyed more episodes than I didn't like but I would need to watch it again. I don't think there's been any season of the series since 2005 where I disliked more episodes than I liked (unless you count the year of specials; I didn't enjoy any of those. I liked "The Next Doctor" but I'm not sure whether it counts or not).

Jerusalem posted:

I wanted so desperately to like series 9 since I thought series 8 was excellent, and they kept suggesting/hinting at there being more to what we were seeing and I thought it was all gonna come together in the end and apply a context to the entire season.... but that never happened.
This is probably the first series I've struggled to remain interested in, since retrospectively going through latter Matt Smith episodes. I thought Series 8 was great - obvious episode blips aside, but Series 9...

I don't think they fully grasped the whole two-parter structure; most of them were unbalanced, lots of pacing issues, that sort of thing. The hybrid arc storyline thing they were going for wasn't very well executed, and ultimately kinda pointless. On a personal level, I couldn't stand the character of Ashildr, and where they ended up going with her. The ZYSIS episodes were godawful, Sleep No More was...was. And Hell Bent was an absolute stinker for me. What made that worse, was the highs of Heaven Sent in contrast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

The hybrid arc storyline thing they were going for wasn't very well executed, and ultimately kinda pointless.

I still think this WAS the point, but that doesn't make it good - we basically ended up with hamfisted efforts to sell the idea of this hybrid prophecy being some super-important thing, then the reveal that no it wasn't actually important or meaningful in any way.... so a thing that nobody cared about that was clumsily shoehorned into various episodes ends up being.... nothing. So what was meant to be a misdirection just ended up feeling like not only a waste of time but an active detriment to the rest of the series.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Jerusalem posted:

I still think this WAS the point, but that doesn't make it good - we basically ended up with hamfisted efforts to sell the idea of this hybrid prophecy being some super-important thing, then the reveal that no it wasn't actually important or meaningful in any way.... so a thing that nobody cared about that was clumsily shoehorned into various episodes ends up being.... nothing. So what was meant to be a misdirection just ended up feeling like not only a waste of time but an active detriment to the rest of the series.

Yeah, I agree with your interpretation of it. I mean, I think Ashildr or Capaldi even says something to that effect, that it ultimately didn't matter who, or what the hybrid was, only that the Time Lords were threatened by it, even though it's, er, nothing, and nothing will come of it.

Like, they had the perfect impetus last series; the Doctor wants to find Galifrey. It could have been a whole big build up to that - you wouldn't even need to change that much for the overall narrative of the stories we got. They didn't need to add the sudden, hybrid prophecy. It's just so unnecessary, especially as we look at it in retrospect, and know absolutley nothing loving comes of it.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 8, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still feeling a little burned by the whole "Quest for Gallifrey" thing. The Curator tells 11 that "he has a lot of work to do" to go find it....and then it just kinda happens to 12 with what feels like no active effort on his part.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

I'm still feeling a little burned by the whole "Quest for Gallifrey" thing. The Curator tells 11 that "he has a lot of work to do" to go find it....and then it just kinda happens to 12 with what feels like no active effort on his part.

Uh, he was in the dial for billions of years.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Capaldi has confirmed that Series 10/Season 36 will begin airing in April.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CaptainYesterday posted:

I am not okay with this wait. Like, at all.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

LividLiquid posted:

I am not okay with this wait. Like, at all.

Well, we've got Class, which could be interesting, then we've got the Power of the Daleks animation, and then we've got the Christmas special. It's certainly no wilderness.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Plus I thought the season wasn't starting til next autumn, so that's better than I was expecting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CaptainYesterday posted:

Oh good, a stay of execution.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
It's 29 years since Time and The Rani aired. I'm going to celebrate by being loving poo poo for the next four weeks.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This could be interesting:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/torchwood-one-before-the-fall

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Yeah, but I might even more be looking forward to this

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/the-torchwood-archive-1470

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And on top of those two announcements (and Outbreak, which we've known about for a while now), Big Finish also announced another set of six monthly, single-disc Torchwood releases

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I just want to say, Moffat may have been behind a bunch of bad decision concerning Dr Who, but he's written some amazing episodes.

More importantly he made Night of the Doctor happen. He could make episodes that are actually as bad as you all think Forest of the Night is, there's no way I can hate him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Night of the Doctor AND Day of the Doctor. Man was Day of the Doctor good :allears:

"Calling the War Council of Gallifrey..... this is the Doctor!" :hellyeah:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
For all of Moffat's faults as a showrunner, he's really good at two things, and one of them is 'nerdgasm' moments. I don't know if anybody could've done the 50th anniversary, or anything on its level, half as well as he did.

The other is coming up with some really cool, weird poo poo to take advantage of the nature of the Doctor Who setting. The Weeping Angels, the Cracks, the setting for Wedding of River Song, the Confession Dial in Heaven Sent (I dunno if that was him, but I'm willing to give him credit and it seems like one of his)... he's really good at coming up with some insane concepts that would only work for Doctor Who, but absolutely work for Doctor Who.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly my problems with Moffat would mostly disappear if he stopped trying to shoehorn in an explicit "season arc" into every single season, and usually every single episode.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Considering how many people here really love the classics, I'm surprised there aren't more people angry that the 50th largely focused on the new Doctors, especially considering Moffat's reasoning was "well, those dudes are *old* now."

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Considering how many people here really love the classics, I'm surprised there aren't more people angry that the 50th largely focused on the new Doctors, especially considering Moffat's reasoning was "well, those dudes are *old* now."

I think most of us were just happy he managed to get them on screen at all, even in archive footage form. And we got Tom Baker vamping. And then we got the Five-ish Doctors. And Night of the Doctor. And the 50th was really really good anyway.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Focusing on the newer Doctors and targeting the story around the Time War allowed for a tighter story that stands better on its own merits than something like Three and a Half Doctors and a Bloke in a Wig so I'm okay with it. That we had Light at the End and the incredible majesty that is Five-ish Doctors Reboot alongside it really kind of mitigates any complaints I could have about the 50th not including more classic elements.

At worst I could say that the surviving Doctor actors should have been brought in to do new audio recordings for the climactic sequence instead of just using archival stuff, and it would have been nice to see William Russell put in a cameo as Ian given that Coal Hill was brought back.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Box of Bunnies posted:

and it would have been nice to see William Russell put in a cameo as Ian given that Coal Hill was brought back.

Especially since the name "I. Chesterton" is listed on that Coal Hill sign.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
Yeah, I kinda feel like not including the older Doctors in Day for the most part was to its benefit as a story, it let them focus more on a way to make what they did have work. Especially since, with Five-ish and Light at the End, they had their own focused celebrations of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, when you throw in stuff like the 5-ish Doctors (which was amazing) or Light at the End, or even An Adventure in Space and Time, there was plenty of stuff there for the classic actors. It would have been cool if they'd dubbed in new audio lines, but as it was getting the,"All 13!" moment plus the final shot of all the Doctors assembled together of one mind and purpose (including War) was just a really touching moment, especially since they had Hartnell in the center standing apart to acknowledge that none of this would have been possible without him.

God the 50th was so loving great.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

For all of Moffat's faults as a showrunner, he's really good at two things, and one of them is 'nerdgasm' moments

But that is one of his faults

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Moffat does write a great episode every few years (the 50th and the one where he is stuck in the dial were both amazing), but that hardly makes up for the dogshit that is his normal output, or his ridiculous mismanagement of the show.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The ideal setup I'd have is RTD, Chibnail or Gatiss handling the producer/showrunning role, with Moffat as head writer.

The thing he really needs is some consistency, and they've all shown themselves pretty competent at providing that. I feel like Davies especially (and Gatiss to a lesser extent) would also be very capable of knowing exactly when the moments to go all-out are. Davies was terrible at knowing how to RESOLVE a big moment, but he totally knew when to turn it up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just wish Moffat hadn't felt the need to write so many of the episodes himself each season. He was spread too thin which is a shame because the guy can write really, really, really loving good episodes of Doctor Who. He still did, but his increased output meant there were more average episodes thrown into the mix as well.

I still think it's a pity we didn't get to see RTD write an episode during Moffat's run (unless he's doing one next year!) and I hope we do get to see Moffat write a single episode (or two parter) under Chibnall's run once he's had some time to recharge his batteries and put a little distance between himself and the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cleretic posted:

For all of Moffat's faults as a showrunner, he's really good at two things, and one of them is 'nerdgasm' moments. I don't know if anybody could've done the 50th anniversary, or anything on its level, half as well as he did.

He's good at writing for a Tumblr audience, if you like. You know, the part of the fandom that thrives on shipping and reblogging gifs of "epic" moments? Doctor Who feels a lot like a CW show under his watch - I think that's a direction RTD set it on in seasons three and four (although he had always cited Buffy as a big influence on how he approached the structure and narrative of the revival), which I think must be part of the reason why it managed to become so popular in America around that time.

• Locked thread