Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

the web counter cgi wasnt in the archive, obviously. trying to decide whether I want to pick a popular one from the era or reimplement it using something absurdly modern.

it's like restoring an old home,

you gotta go vintage with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

cobol on cogs

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C" {
#endif

i still don't know what this means, and i don't intend to find out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Bloody posted:

cobol on cogs

https://sourceforge.net/projects/open-cobol/

so this apple 2 MSDOS C compiler I found is from 1986 and uses K&R style function declarations :barf:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

GameCube posted:

if this is a c++ compiler, the following block is C code

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i also find it amusing that they keep inventing new c++ features when the only people writing c++ are compiling their poo poo enterprise software in vs2005

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

actually our trash fire is on vs2010

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

our c++ trash fire is on vs2015 thank god so I might actually get to use some of this neat stuff

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
changing from '10 to '15 is fun because microsoft renamed a bunch of standard poo poo

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I'm converting my brother's 1997 era star wars website into a modern website for his music. so far it's just what i ripped off of archive.org, but i added a javascript player for the vintage midis:

http://cosmicfeelingshotline.com/

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

he wasn't even on any webrings...

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

hobbesmaster posted:

are you complaining that a doubly linked list doesn't provide a [] operator?

I'm complaining that several different implementations of ordered collections that allow duplicates present different interfaces to the developer

it's stupid to say "random access is slow so we're not going to allow it at all"

does operator[] really always require O(1) time?

(hint: no, see std::map)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

GameCube posted:

i also find it amusing that they keep inventing new c++ features when the only people writing c++ are compiling their poo poo enterprise software in vs2005

plenty of people use clang to write C++

(to work on LLVM and clang and lldb and lld and Swift)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

isn't operator[]( size_type position ) is always O(1)? std map is operator[]( Key& key )

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

eschaton posted:

I'm complaining that several different implementations of ordered collections that allow duplicates present different interfaces to the developer

it's stupid to say "random access is slow so we're not going to allow it at all"

does operator[] really always require O(1) time?

(hint: no, see std::map)

Different collections should have different interfaces because they have different use cases, and their APIs should guide you towards using them properly. std::list should not have an operator[], because std::list's API should discourage you from using std::list if you need random access. std::vector and std::map are designed to give random access, so they should have an operator[].

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so if one in a thousand accesses needs to be random access, you should have to do extra work

and if you're prototyping and you realize a different underlying implementation for an ordered collection would be better-suited, you should have to do extra work

got it, you've bought into the Stepanov brain damage

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

GameCube posted:

extern "C" marks functions that use the C ABI. typically it means that function overloading isn't supported and that the linker ignores namespaces and function argument types when matching symbol names. some compilers may also assume that C ABI functions can't raise exceptions and act accordingly

eschaton posted:

so if one in a thousand accesses needs to be random access, you should have to do extra work

shims young man, shims. do the extra work up front

C++ code:
template<class Container, class Distance>
auto item_at(Container&& c, Distance i)
{
    return *std::advance(std::begin(c), i);
}
O(1) for std::vector, O(n) for std::list re-adding the lost range checking is left as an exercise for the reader :v:

you may also use a container adaptor, in the vein of std::stack and std::queue, for your rather peculiar need to have a linear time subscripting operator

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

so loving future posted:

drinking, i imagine

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hackbunny posted:

extern "C" marks functions that use the C ABI. typically it means that function overloading isn't supported and that the linker ignores namespaces and function argument types when matching symbol names. some compilers may also assume that C ABI functions can't raise exceptions and act accordingly

shims young man, shims. do the extra work up front

C++ code:

template<class Container, class Distance>
auto item_at(Container&& c, Distance i)
{
    return *std::advance(std::begin(c), i);
}

O(1) for std::vector, O(n) for std::list re-adding the lost range checking is left as an exercise for the reader :v:

you may also use a container adaptor, in the vein of std::stack and std::queue, for your rather peculiar need to have a linear time subscripting operator

speaking of range checking why in the world doesn't a call to advance that goes past the end return std::end(c) instead of being undefined?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
mandatory 8:30am meetings until the end of the release. wtf.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lmfao

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you don't already have 8am standups?

:smithicide:

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

hobbesmaster posted:

don't you mean 9:30 standups?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

don't you mean 9:30 standups?

don't you mean 8:30 standups which run to 9:30

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

qntm posted:

don't you mean 8:30 standups which run to 9:30

i think you mean 11:30 standups that run to 12:30

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

i think you mean 11:30 standups that run to 12:30
i think you mean weekly thursday meeting from 15:00 to 15:40 that happens every third week

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i think you mean weekly thursday meeting from 15:00 to 15:40 that happens every third week

do you work at my job?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

hobbesmaster posted:

nah. normally for devs its pretty much just "make sure you log 40 hours a week and show up at all your meetings", but apparently some people on our team our like really loving the ball on keeping poo poo moving with 2 months before release. we have some (somewhat arbitrary) bugfix goals to hit and they're doable if everyone is actually managing their time correctly, but apparently that is beyond the ability of highly paid professionals so morningly meetings for 2 months have been created so that everyone is required to tell everyone what they are going to do today, and then explain themselves the next morning if they didnt get it done.

its like i work with children.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

yes that is how daily standups work

agile sucks

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HoboMan posted:

yes that is how daily standups work

agile sucks

so agile is literally a method for managing adults who act like children and cant stick to responsibilities without public shame involved? says a lot about the level of maturity among programmers that this is a widely touted method.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the idea is more to know what other people are doing so that everyone knows what's going on and make sure you're not duplicating effort

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean, at some point you actually need to coordinate with people. coordinating as a team once a day is a pretty good idea imo. well i mean, the frequency totally depends on what you're doing i guess.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

hobbesmaster posted:

speaking of range checking why in the world doesn't a call to advance that goes past the end return std::end(c) instead of being undefined?

zero overhead, motherfucker

(c++ nerds really, really care a whole lot about that sort of thing compiling to the same thing as *(c+i). microoptimizations uber alles and who gives a gently caress about correctness)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

agile is good in abstract principle: 'talk about whats going on and make sure we are all on the same page and communicating concisely'

the fact that your average company and team needs a whole set of principles and rules and labels and training to approximate 'act like grown up professionals' is a whole other thing

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

so loving future posted:

agile is good in abstract principle: 'talk about whats going on and make sure we are all on the same page and communicating concisely'

the fact that your average company and team needs a whole set of principles and rules and labels and training to approximate 'act like grown up professionals' is a whole other thing

ding ding ding

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

so agile is literally a method for managing adults who act like children and cant stick to responsibilities without public shame involved? says a lot about the level of maturity among programmers that this is a widely touted method.

it provides the structure and routine that makes the autist feel at home, and also i guess makes sure everyone is on the same page. the public shaming is just a thing management generally likes to throw in as an awesome bonus

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

ding ding ding

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

terrible programmer question: is there a way to like ignore a line of code when doing a release publish in vs?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
agile says nothing about structure or routine, and in fact the first bullet point of agile explicitly places the needs of people above the needs of arbitrary process

but just saying "we value individuals and interactions" and pinning it to the wall somewhere doesn't actually cause anything to change, so, ironically, you need a process to make sure that that's what happens in practice as well as in theory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

when people ask you every day what you are doing you have a lot less leeway to do whatever. that's what i mean by structure

• Locked thread