Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

To the Britgoon who was talking about price, the Independent is reporting that prices have gone up by £60-100 depending on the handset. They are saying it's because of Brexit but who knows.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-7-uk-price-release-date-pre-order-apple-store-brexit-a7231416.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Dugong posted:

To the Britgoon who was talking about price, the Independent is reporting that prices have gone up by £60-100 depending on the handset. They are saying it's because of Brexit but who knows.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-7-uk-price-release-date-pre-order-apple-store-brexit-a7231416.html

I love how in the comments people get mad about this.

HOW DARE APPLE NOT MAKE LOWER PROFITS BECAUSE OF OUR MISTAKE

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

LPG Giant posted:

I love how in the comments people get mad about this.

HOW DARE APPLE NOT MAKE LOWER PROFITS BECAUSE OF OUR MISTAKE

buy British you numpty. What is it with you lefty luvvies it is your consumer choices that make you so unpatriotic. This is why the industrial heartlands of the UK north in their millions trumped your chance to remain in the EU. You are taking their jobs away with your choices. Understand yet?

:smug:

killa-pope
May 21, 2008
AC+ price for screen repairs (only) dropped to $29. All other repairs $99 flat rate.

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
I imagine it's to get clumsy fools to blow their two repairs on cheap screen fixes so why they actually gently caress up their phone Apple is like LOL sorry. Two repairs only.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Am I retarded for wanting the airpods? I've been wanting a decent pair of wireless headphones for work/working out and these seem like they'll be fine? Also I want to look like I'm from the future/2009 when Bluetooth headsets were everywhere and dumb as gently caress

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I can't wait for airpod accessories that add a lanyard or other tethering device which turn them back into traditional headphones.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Am I retarded for wanting the airpods?I've been wanting a decent pair of wireless headphones for work/working out and these seem like they'll be fine? Also I want to look like I'm from the future/2009 when Bluetooth headsets were everywhere and dumb as gently caress
You tell me:
https://twitter.com/Jamesco/status/773634065652080640?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Am I retarded for wanting the airpods? I've been wanting a decent pair of wireless headphones for work/working out and these seem like they'll be fine? Also I want to look like I'm from the future/2009 when Bluetooth headsets were everywhere and dumb as gently caress

It's okay to like things.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Cross posting: Apple is lowering the deductible on Apple care for broken screens. If just the screen is damaged its $30 to replace.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/7/12841248/apple-cheap-iphone-screen-replacement-applecare

Also, general advice, but questions on "can I do this on carrier x" might get a better answer in whichever thread is related to that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So I like this offer. But I'm on a Verizon plan paying for a 6S since January. How does that work? Is there some kinda early termination fee or do I just pay the remaining balance up front on the 6S and its mine and I can switch?

You trade in phone and pay the difference of monthly payments between now and your standard upgrade date (this January). So it's September, 4 months to January, so 4 * your monthly payment of phone. As always, phone has to be in good condition, I.E. Not broken to upgrade early.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Duckman2008 posted:

Cross posting: Apple is lowering the deductible on Apple care for broken screens. If just the screen is damaged its $30 to replace.

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/7/12841248/apple-cheap-iphone-screen-replacement-applecare

Also, general advice, but questions on "can I do this on carrier x" might get a better answer in whichever thread is related to that.
This applies internationally, right? Time to shell out for AppleCare, since it's officially now cheaper for me to take my 6s plus to apple instead of buying the components myself.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

teacup posted:

Kinda crossposting from the other thread -

So a few weeks ago people were saying "iPhone 7 has nothing, wait for 7s as that has real innovation coming round the corner based on some leaks!"

Is this true or just bullshit? I have a 6 and want to see if I should use my insurance to fix it (it's been dropped a bit) or just get a 7

I get it'll always be something but for some reason I remember people saying that the S will just be THAT MUCH BETTER THIS TIME but I hear that all the time and it's just like, oh an extra megapixel. I just want a phone that goes faster

Every new phone is going to be better than the old phone. If you want a new phone now then get the 7, and if a year from now the 7S is that much better just sell your 7 at 70% of the original price and buy the 7S.

Every curmudgeon here is going to say that the announcement was a bust, apple is dead, iPhone 7 is terrible, etc. But they're also the same people that are negative about everything so you should take any recommendations with a grain of salt.

Moral of the story: treat yo self.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Where the hell is that Donald Duck sticker/emoji thing they showed yesterday? I can't find it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The 7 looks more like a Samsung than an iPhone imo, the bulge is terrible and Steve Jobs would have murderered whowever allowed it.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Any idea if it'll be difficult to find a 6+ at a carrier store (AT&T) come late October, considering they're now discontinued? My mom's upgrade is due then, and she wants a 5.5" screen for the least amount of money.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

enojy posted:

Any idea if it'll be difficult to find a 6+ at a carrier store (AT&T) come late October, considering they're now discontinued? My mom's upgrade is due then, and she wants a 5.5" screen for the least amount of money.

Get her a 6S+, it'll be the same price as the current 6+ is right now

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Unlike the 6S, it looks like one model iPhone has GSM + CDMA bands and the other is GSM only.

Any idea why they would do this? And is it safe to assume an unlocked one is the model that supports GSM + CDMA?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Unlike the 6S, it looks like one model iPhone has GSM + CDMA bands and the other is GSM only.

Any idea why they would do this? And is it safe to assume an unlocked one is the model that supports GSM + CDMA?

Carrier interference. My understanding is all iPhones have the same chips inside them and technically support both bands, but dipshits like AT&T mandate a phone that only supports their network so Apple produces a model with software locked features to make them happy.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Have you owned wireless headphones in the past? It seems like a lot of the hate people are directing at the air buds are things that apply to most wireless headphones (cost, battery life). Though each but not being physically connected does scare me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Carrier interference. My understanding is all iPhones have the same chips inside them and technically support both bands, but dipshits like AT&T mandate a phone that only supports their network so Apple produces a model with software locked features to make them happy.

Protip: it's not the GSM carriers that generally want special snowflake hardware.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

Protip: it's not the GSM carriers that generally want special snowflake hardware.

I figured there was a chance I had it backwards but I pressed on anyways.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Its odd they both support all the same radios EXCEPT the cdma. Will have to wait for teardowns to see if the radio chipset is different.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

EmmyOk posted:

The 7 looks more like a Samsung than an iPhone imo, the bulge is terrible and Steve Jobs would have murderered whowever allowed it.

He was best friends with Jony Ive, who has now created three phones and an iPad with it. He would not have done this.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I just noticed that the 20-month iPhone Payments plan (not Upgrade Program) is 0% interest. Why oh why must I find out new things to tempt me to buy a 7?
If, next year, I decide the 7S is sweetaroonies, does anyone know if it's possible to just buy out the rest of the payment plan early and sell off the phone or does it need to be kept as monthly payments?

Incidentally, due to being able to sell off my 6, buying a new phone would actually leave me with more money for a holiday I'm having in January as it would sell for more than the 4-months of payment plus up-front cost. This is a dangerous road of reasoning for me to go down, I'm well aware I'm obviously not making a profit over 20 months

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's probably more cost effective to sell the phone and use that to pay the phone off entirely than to just cover the remaining payments since covering the remaining payments means you have to give the phone back.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Yes.

Plantronics Backbeat Fit is what you want.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Still no landscape Music support in the 6+ :negative:

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LODGE NORTH posted:

It's probably more cost effective to sell the phone and use that to pay the phone off entirely than to just cover the remaining payments since covering the remaining payments means you have to give the phone back.
Awesome, just wasn't sure if paying it off entirely with a lump sum before the 20 months are up was an option.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Where's the option to allow favourite contacts texts through during Do Not Disturb?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Where's the option to allow favourite contacts texts through during Do Not Disturb?

Put them in VIP. Edit: or favorites?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Found it, you need to do it on a per contact basis by selecting their ringtone in the contact card.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
How does the simultaneous connection to Macbooks/iPads/iPhones work on the earpods? I frequenty have to change my bluetooth headset back and forth between devices, wondering how that works. I have a nice Sony headset that has a little screen and you can pair it with a couple things and you push a button and it switches.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Hasn't the option always been to allow calls from favorites in DND, never texts?

e: oh cool, I didn't know you could opt in on a per-contact basis

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iOS 10 is fast god drat

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

If Jump doesn't work for me (aka I walk in with my 6S+ 64 gig and walk out with a brand new 7+ 128 in Black) without having to give them some stupid huge downpayment, I'm down. If not, I may have to switch to Apple's yearly program, since that one actually seems to be what I was looking for Last year.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Jerk McJerkface posted:

How does the simultaneous connection to Macbooks/iPads/iPhones work on the earpods? I frequenty have to change my bluetooth headset back and forth between devices, wondering how that works. I have a nice Sony headset that has a little screen and you can pair it with a couple things and you push a button and it switches.

It will probably work the same way my Sennheiser Momentums handle multiple connections at once: Whatever currently has audio playing gets priority/whatever started playing most recently.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LionArcher posted:

If Jump doesn't work for me (aka I walk in with my 6S+ 64 gig and walk out with a brand new 7+ 128 in Black) without having to give them some stupid huge downpayment, I'm down. If not, I may have to switch to Apple's yearly program, since that one actually seems to be what I was looking for Last year.

You'll have to pay tax at least.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

t-mobile's scum so don't bother with their dumb bullshit

The jet black looks great when pristine but I'm assuming it's going to look like poo poo after a week if Apple's recommending a case. Upsides are it probably has a better grip. Matte looks really good too though.