Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

Sounds objectivity worse than USB type c.

Industry standards that lots of people agree on are good! Except if you are the type of nerd that preferred FireWire to USB2 because raw speed was more important to you than being able to plug a portable drive in almost anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

BGrifter posted:

Is that really a big enough part of the iPhone market to merit half the keynote time for every iPhone in the last several years? I doubt there's that many people who would be able to recognize the difference between a photo shot with the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6s.

I'm not particularly bent out of shape over it or anything, it just seems weird they push that feature so hard every year.

It's only the single most used camera line in the world. It's probably the most obvious thing to upgrade, in my opinion.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The camera is the #1 reason I'm upgrading to the 7+ and it's not even close.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

BGrifter posted:

Is that really a big enough part of the iPhone market to merit half the keynote time for every iPhone in the last several years? I doubt there's that many people who would be able to recognize the difference between a photo shot with the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6s.

I'm not particularly bent out of shape over it or anything, it just seems weird they push that feature so hard every year.

I mean it's definitely an improvement, especially when you get into low light. That the front-facing camera got bumped up again is also probably very noticeable for a lot of people.

These days even take a daylight photo from a 5 vs a 7 and you'd probably notice the difference.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I thought the plus size iPhone was stupid and this camera makes it worth it. I was blown away by the camera quality in my 9.7 iPad Pro and wished it was a little more portable.

Sign me up. 5S to 7 Plus!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I like the plus and the big screen makes it able for me to just leave my iPad home and have one less thing to worry about on weekend trips and poo poo.

Then again, perhaps my fatman pants are just more accomodating for my fat phone :v:

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So a few weeks ago people were saying "iPhone 7 has nothing, wait for 7s as that has real innovation coming round the corner based on some leaks!"

Is this true or just bullshit? I have a 6 and want to see if I should use my insurance to fix it (it's been dropped a bit) or just get a 7

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Do Apple not drop a press image set? I want to see some detailed pics dammit

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Taima posted:

You can buy an actual camera for a comparable price (or even cheaper) that will last you waaaaayyyyyy longer than an iPhone lifecycle.

They even have social media capabilities these days!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

So it sounds like the iOS 10 GM is actually 10.0.1 and the version of 10.0.1 that was released today is actually a beta and therefore you can't load it on your phone unless you have a Dev account or XCode8 or some poo poo like that.

I always like updating early, but if I have to do crazy poo poo to do so I guess I'll just wait for the actual release.

There was an update to that

UPDATE #2:

A source from inside Apple has contacted me and clarified a bit.
iOS 10.0 is the version factory installed on new iPhone 7s. iOS 10.0.1 is the version that everyone will get next Tuesday. So 10.0.1 is in fact, a GM.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

teacup posted:

So a few weeks ago people were saying "iPhone 7 has nothing, wait for 7s as that has real innovation coming round the corner based on some leaks!"

Is this true or just bullshit? I have a 6 and want to see if I should use my insurance to fix it (it's been dropped a bit) or just get a 7

Nobody will know until the keynote in September 2017. And nobody will have a reasonable guess until supply chain leaks start heating up about 2-4 weeks before that. Right now it's mostly assumptions that Apple is saving up big things for the 10th anniversary iPhone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Another small change:

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2016/9/7/12841248/apple-cheap-iphone-screen-replacement-applecare

AppleCare is still $129, but screen replacements are $30 if just the screen is damaged.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Taima posted:

Agreed. I like taking photos of things and taking photos with friends at events so having a nice selfie cam and also the ability to do a 2x zoom with no quality drop is very awesome and mad ownage.

Everyone saying that their 6S is good enough is absolutely right - it is good enough. But those of us on the 6 cycle will see a 2x processing boost, 3 extra hours of battery, and a huge upgrade to the camera.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

TBeats posted:

You can buy an actual camera for a comparable price (or even cheaper) that will last you waaaaayyyyyy longer than an iPhone lifecycle.

I'm sure everyone knows this, but the thing everyone likes about the phone is it's always with them.

I will have the 7 Plus, my Fuji X100S and my Nikon D7100 with lens assortment .. I still want the better camera in the phone because I ALWAYS have it, it fits in my pocket so why wouldn't I take it with me? The other two cameras are awesome, I take the X100S to a lot of places but again, not everywhere.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 8, 2016

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

I don't know what a Taptic drive is, and don't care, I doubt the home button has enough travel for a pressure sensitivity to be any use so I don't care, I'm not a clumsy idiot and have my phone on contract so as far as the water proofing thing goes, I don't care. But what I do care about is being able to use my £120 headphones to listen to the music on my phone. Hopefully the backdraft from this will mean they'll have a 3.5 back on the next phone or they'll add a model with one.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

TBeats posted:

Wow, thanks for this info, I had no idea these existed.

Edit: I'm looking online for "cameras" and these seem pretty nice. Can't quite tell from the photos so do you know if these cameras will fit in my front pocket while I'm out and about?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The smart move is to get a 7+ AND an iPod Touch.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

mattfl posted:

There was an update to that

UPDATE #2:

A source from inside Apple has contacted me and clarified a bit.
iOS 10.0 is the version factory installed on new iPhone 7s. iOS 10.0.1 is the version that everyone will get next Tuesday. So 10.0.1 is in fact, a GM.

Hm, that's interesting. I wonder what was the one thing that was so terrible in 10.0 that they immediately had to put out a 10.0.1 fix and make everyone that gets their shiny new phones next week update out of the box.

Also, as I understand it, if any Joe Rando downloads the 10.0.1 IPSW right now, they won't be able to install it unless they're running XCode 8. What's gonna change about that between now and next week? Will the new GM be an OTA update only? Or will there be an iTunes update that makes it so that you don't need XCode8?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Anime_Otaku posted:

I don't know what a Taptic drive is, and don't care, I doubt the home button has enough travel for a pressure sensitivity to be any use so I don't care, I'm not a clumsy idiot and have my phone on contract so as far as the water proofing thing goes, I don't care. But what I do care about is being able to use my £120 headphones to listen to the music on my phone. Hopefully the backdraft from this will mean they'll have a 3.5 back on the next phone or they'll add a model with one.

With the included adapter you can use those headphones, just as you normally do. Why are you acting like they have zero option for using regular headphones? My favorite pair of headphones are my ATH-M50's and I expect to use them just as I normally do, just with a little extension from the adapter. End of the world stuff here, right?

OldSenileGuy posted:

Hm, that's interesting. I wonder what was the one thing that was so terrible in 10.0 that they immediately had to put out a 10.0.1 fix and make everyone that gets their shiny new phones next week update out of the box.

Also, as I understand it, if any Joe Rando downloads the 10.0.1 IPSW right now, they won't be able to install it unless they're running XCode 8. What's gonna change about that between now and next week? Will the new GM be an OTA update only? Or will there be an iTunes update that makes it so that you don't need XCode8?

can confirm, needs the Xcode 8 GM seed installed to update to 10.01. Getting error 14 currently trying to restore the IPSW. Downloading Xcode now though, so hopefully that works.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 8, 2016

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if there will be a weird reckoning in three to six months if iPhone 7 sales disappoint.

On the one hand, I have a 6 and would normally upgrade this year. However, my 6 is still a fabulous phone that gets good battery life, is still fast, and still has nearly all the functionality of a 6S or 7. So my decision to pass on a 7 is more from a "I don't really need it at this time" perspective. The lack of a headphone jack is just a minor (but not insignificant) reason not to upgrade.

But if 7 sales disappoint, you can bet your rear end that there will be a million articles about how Apple killed the headphone jack and no one bought their phone (no one excluding the millions who did).

I don't think Apple did enough to differentiate the 7 from the 6S (or the 6) and may face a weird "was it the headphone jack that broke the sales streak" argument in the future.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

Wow, thanks for this info, I had no idea these existed.

Edit: I'm looking online for "cameras" and these seem pretty nice. Can't quite tell from the photos so do you know if these cameras will fit in my front pocket while I'm out and about?

Haha

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Thwomp posted:

I wonder if there will be a weird reckoning in three to six months if iPhone 7 sales disappoint.

On the one hand, I have a 6 and would normally upgrade this year. However, my 6 is still a fabulous phone that gets good battery life, is still fast, and still has nearly all the functionality of a 6S or 7. So my decision to pass on a 7 is more from a "I don't really need it at this time" perspective. The lack of a headphone jack is just a minor (but not insignificant) reason not to upgrade.

But if 7 sales disappoint, you can bet your rear end that there will be a million articles about how Apple killed the headphone jack and no one bought their phone (no one excluding the millions who did).

I don't think Apple did enough to differentiate the 7 from the 6S (or the 6) and may face a weird "was it the headphone jack that broke the sales streak" argument in the future.

The articles will already be there because online "reporting" is generally done by a worthless bunch of neckbeards who are angry at, literally, EVERYTHING that happens.

I think the phone will sell just fine though, from people who feel they need to upgrade (4S or whatever) and those of us that just buy the new thing each year. As said here I think the cameras are enough for the general masses to get interested in. People love taking pictures, that foreground/background separation/fake bokeh thing will drive some sales at the very least as people love that look. I feel bad for photographers who I am sure will get hit with the "well my iphone can do this now, why do I need you" bug a bit harder than usual.

The biggest hurdle to get over will be, as you stated, the people reporting on how it was a failure even though it sold X million units simply because Apple has in general had a great track record with sales; to the point of it setting a bar so high that it is unrealistic to expect continued growth like that. I am not bashing Samsung one bit, but everyone screams "where's the innovation??!!!" at the iPhone while the Note 7 really didn't introduce anything ACTUALLY new/useful this year. The smartphone has kind of hit a plateau in terms of revolutionary developments for the time being, incremental upgrades (that are still quite good, mind you) are just about all we can expect anymore. I don't see the need for a 4K device (except for VR and such, but I doubt the general masses are screaming for VR using their phone just yet). I think expectations are just far out of touch with reality anymore.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

e: what this guy said ^^^

It seems like a lot of people have come to expect their socks blown off every two years by iPhone innovation, but that's unsustainable. The iPhone is already a near-perfect device and eventually people are just going to have to accept that there isn't a whole lot else to be improved about it barring a major technological breakthrough like a battery that lasts a week or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly at this point I'm upgrading every year. All I want is the phone to be faster, have a better camera, and have better battery life. I used to carry a camera with me when I traveled but since I haven't had to do that for years now and I actually like being able to travel lighter and take quick pictures.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My point is more that a drop in sales will be mis-attributed to the ditching of the headphone jack instead of only being one of several factors at play.

I think this stems more from an article I read prior to yesterday's event at Vox. TL;DR - Only Apple is large enough and flush enough to take a risk and attempt to move the market like they are with the headphone jack removal.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Thwomp posted:

My point is more that a drop in sales will be mis-attributed to the ditching of the headphone jack instead of only being one of several factors at play.

I think this stems more from an article I read prior to yesterday's event at Vox. TL;DR - Only Apple is large enough and flush enough to take a risk and attempt to move the market like they are with the headphone jack removal.

Understood completely, the news outlets are going to report what the news outlets want to report. Apple seems to value data in terms of decision making, I have a feeling they'll know exactly why something happens if it does. I also have a feeling abandoning the headphone jack probably is not anywhere near the issue that people on forums are making it out to be simply because the vast majority of Apples users are not interested in posting here or /r/iphone, etc.

I think we have to remember as well that Apple gets to see a LOT of anonymous data in terms of metrics like bluetooth vs wired headphones, etc.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
So is the release schedule:

Even year:
iPhone X
iPhone X+

Odd year:
iPhone XS
iPhone XS+

Somewhere in the middle: iPhone XES?

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Thwomp posted:

My point is more that a drop in sales will be mis-attributed to the ditching of the headphone jack instead of only being one of several factors at play

I agree with the mis-attribution. Sites will continue to take the doom and gloom angle because it attracts attention. We've already seen a drop in iPhone numbers. The record quarters were unsustainable.

People are becoming more ok with just hanging onto their phones for longer - especially with subsidies being gone. Apple knows this. Which is why the SE is a thing, why the IUP is a thing, and possibly why the case design of the 7 is very similar to the 6/6s (my own stupid speculation). I imagine Apple has thought of many scenarios and will be fine with a fistful of sites claiming they are dead in the water (as they have for years).

Waiting to order my jet black 7 plus.

milkaxor fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Sep 8, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ufarn posted:

So is the release schedule:

Even year:
iPhone X
iPhone X+

Odd year:
iPhone XS
iPhone XS+

Somewhere in the middle: iPhone XES?

Well, we don't know if there will be another SE in the future, and Apple has never been one to keep doing a thing just because, so it's entirely possible they'll drop the S models next year (which seems to be the rumor since it'll be the 10th anniversary of the iPhone).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is the form factor the same as the 6? Can I expect my Apple battery case on my 6S to fit?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TraderStav posted:

Is the form factor the same as the 6? Can I expect my Apple battery case on my 6S to fit?

Cases probably wont fit because the camera is larger.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
e: this guy ^^

Form factor is the same. Your battery case won't fit since the camera size / placement is different.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Third party cases MAY fit if they have a large camera cutout. But dont expect an apple case to fit.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

TraderStav posted:

The dimensions are technically the same but the camera wart is wider so it may not work unless the hole is larger. There might also be a slightly different chamfer on the edge of the phone that might affect the fit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple case also funnels the speaker and mic onto the front of the case and there's no guarantee those will line up properly, either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

The Apple case also funnels the speaker and mic onto the front of the case and there's no guarantee those will line up properly, either.

Oh son of a bitch I hadn't thought of this till you said this but since the new phone has speakers at the top and the bottom what the gently caress is Saddle Brown leather case going to look like?

EDIT: Lol so I guess the case is just going to block the speaker? They don't show any pictures of the top but it doesn't look like there are any holes there.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 8, 2016

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

This is the most boring iPhone release yet. It does all the same stuff slightly better, but now doesn't do some of the old stuff.

If it wasn't for a couple of iOS specific apps, I'd start shopping Android.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

Windows doesn't have XCode8 installable so there will have to be an itunes update soon. However right now it's pretty easy to update to the ios10.
Old way that doesn't work
1. Find ISPW for your device.
2. Open itunes shift click and update.

New way
1. Find Configuration Profile file
2. Install profile by emailing it or clicking link
3. Now It will show up as an OTA update

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I don't see the need for a 4K device (except for VR and such, but I doubt the general masses are screaming for VR using their phone just yet). I think expectations are just far out of touch with reality anymore.
Definitely this. I've got a friend who thinks I'm a hardcore Apple fanboy and was mocking the 7 for not being 1440p which is apparently now the industry standard. Unless I look at the screen and can see individual pixels like in the pre-iPhone 4 models, I don't actually see the problem with the 6/6S/7 display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Bugger on the cases but I guess they'll help resale of the phone at least.

• Locked thread