Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When people leave their cart on one side of the aisle and browse on the other. Congratulations you just took up an entire thoroughfare so you could decide which macaroni you wanted.

Bonus points if they get huffy when you say excuse me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

BOOTY-ADE posted:

This and people in parking lots who wait for a spot right loving behind the one you're in, blocking your car from getting out. I don't care how close you wanna park Fatty McLardass, I have places to be and none of them are "stuck in a parking lot waiting for some lazy fat shitheap to get out of the drat way"

Also, people who stop to wait for your spot well before you're even ready to back out and leave (hell, a lot of times before you've even gotten in your vehicle). Maybe it makes me the rear end in a top hat in the grand scheme of things, but if someone pulls up to wait for my spot before I've even gotten in my vehicle, I will absolutely sit there and twiddle my thumbs for precisely as long as it takes for them to give up and drive past.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Being the passenger of someone who refuses to park in any open parking space because it's too far from the front entrance. I know I can't really say much because I'm not the one driving but in the time it's taken to circle the lot 5 times hoping to catch someone as they leave we could have taken one of the empty spots near the back, walked the extra 40 feet and be inside already. Its even more annoying when we're going to the mall or something where we'll be on our feet for a while anyway. That extra minute and a half of walking isn't going to kill you!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god stop checking your loving phone in the doorway of a shop you cretin. You automatically lose any right to get annoyed with other people when they push past you despite speaking up.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Noctone posted:

Also, people who stop to wait for your spot well before you're even ready to back out and leave (hell, a lot of times before you've even gotten in your vehicle). Maybe it makes me the rear end in a top hat in the grand scheme of things, but if someone pulls up to wait for my spot before I've even gotten in my vehicle, I will absolutely sit there and twiddle my thumbs for precisely as long as it takes for them to give up and drive past.

I did this for the first time last weekend. It was an outlet mall the weekend before school started, so there were literally zero vacant parking spots, and I was meeting someone who had left their cellphone at home so sending a quick "gently caress this" text and going home wasn't an option. I caught a lady as she was leaving a store, asked politely if I could follow her to her spot, and then waited fending off the other vultures until she'd loaded her stuff and left. I felt dirty but it worked.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I've posted about this more generally before, but people in cars who stop to let you go ahead of them. Today I was walking down the driveway (I live at the back of a block of flats) and a car pulled out of the car park behind me, so I ducked into a stairwell to let them past. They stopped. I waved them on. They flashed their lights at me and waved for me to go. So I walked ahead of them down the driveway and they slowly followed me.

You're in a car, you're faster than a pedestrian. If you just loving go, I can go behind you and neither of us will be slowed down at all. If you insist on letting me go first, we both have to stop to figure out what's going on and now I'm walking in front of a car like an idiot. What the gently caress are you thinking?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Tiggum posted:

What the gently caress are you thinking?

"Gosh, I'm polite and patient! Maybe I'll pay off my library fines today!"

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

I don't like it when drivers wave me on across the road, I can wait two seconds and then I feel awkward walk-running to cause them the minimum amount of inconvenience possible

I am enraged when drivers don't stop at zebra crossings tho, I sometimes have little weird fantasies of stepping out in front of them anyway and taking the broken bones and possible death just to gently caress them over :argh:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my god stop checking your loving phone in the doorway of a shop you cretin. You automatically lose any right to get annoyed with other people when they push past you despite speaking up.

I had a guy do this last week at the entrance to the break room. He says "excuse me, I'm sorry" when I ask to go past him. Fine, no big deal. I get coffee, come out...he's still there. This triggers him to start walking the three steps to the narrow staircase nearby, and I'm following him to go up as well...but he stops on the first stair. The staircase is not huge--it's about as wide as a doorway and not easy to pass through when someone's blocking it. So I have to ask him a third time if I can pass. I'm sure he didn't intend to block me three times, and it was just a hilarious coincidence but holy hell, if something is that important, go somewhere out of the way and deal with it!

Peeve: when people assume their daytime running lights are headlamps and don't turn their headlamps on at night. It's pitch dark out, I'm driving and suddenly there's a mommy van in front of me that no one can see because there are no taillights on. I pass the mommy van and sure enough, those little piddly non-headlamps are on, making the person think they've turned their lights on. I want to flash them as a courtesy to let them know their lamps are not on, but by and large the people who do this are so clueless they'd probably just think I'm aggressive and an rear end in a top hat and wouldn't even notice, so all I can do is pass them and hope a cop will stop them and tell them to turn their lights on.

Edit: a facebook acquaintance calls her grandma "mawmaw" but spells it "maw-mawl" even though I don't think it's pronounced that way. Where does the superfluous "l" come from? Every day it's "pray for maw-mawl," "here's a picture of me and my maw-mawl," etc. I know it's a silly, petty, irrational peeve but it bugs me.

Maggie Fletcher has a new favorite as of 23:14 on Sep 8, 2016

aDecentCupOfTea
Jan 13, 2013
Being shushed. I am in training at the moment with a group of 13 other people and because of the nature of our job (financial rubbish) we have certain regulatory reading that has to be read and understood before we can start our job.
I've been at the company for a few years and was asked a question by one of the newer girls, while I was answering her one of the guys (who is in his sixties) turns to us and goes "SHUSSSSSSSSSSH!!!!!"
A.) I am speaking quietly about a related topic.
B.) I am a human being, not an animal, if you need total silence to concentrate then whatever but is it really so difficult to say "excuse me but I'm trying really hard to concentrate on this can you please be a little quieter so I can focus?" instead of SHUSSSSSSHING me.

He's done it a few times to different people and it is so incredibly jarringly rude, never mind the fact that some people are bound to need extra clarification on things and so need to speak.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

poptart_fairy posted:

Had someone get pissed at me yesterday for calling them on this - I was walking out of the building to go to lunch, and this idiot is walking up to the door staring down at his phone. I open the door, he kinda jumps all startled and tells ME to watch out...so I politely pointed out that yes, HE was on his phone not paying attention, the door came nowhere near hitting him, and it's a glass door he could have seen me through if he'd lifted his stupid loving head to watch where he was going. Guessing he'll be one of those "fell of a cliff taking a selfie" retards in the near future.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Clients who don't respond to their emails. You don't have to order right away, just acknowledge it.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx

Brawnfire posted:

Ugh, I used one brand of colored pencil a while ago that apparently had its pigment in chunks, because every other time I sharpened one the tip would just fall out.

Put them in the microwave for 1-2 seconds and they'll reconstitute. If you drop color pencils or jostle them too much the lead inside can fracture. Anyway, dont microwave too much or leave them unattended. You'll have a mess then.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Clients who don't respond to their emails. You don't have to order right away, just acknowledge it.

For me, it's students who send an OMGURGENT email and then don't respond for a week.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Wtf, boyfriend.

How is this a thing you put back in the freezer?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Crow Jane posted:

Wtf, boyfriend.

:sever:

That especially sucks with milk. Just drink those last two drops in the carton instead of putting it back :argh:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Crow Jane posted:

Wtf, boyfriend.

You best be kickin' the poo poo out of him for that.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Crow Jane posted:

Wtf, boyfriend.

I SCREAM!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Current peeve: I'm going to visit a friend for the weekend and they keep asking me where I want to meet them in their town. I don't know, it's your town. I haven't been there for 20 years and don't know the area or where landmarks are in relation to your house or the public transport you use. You tell me where to meet you and I'll get there. If you keep asking me to pick I'm just going to say the first thing that pops up on Google Maps and that might be a million miles from where you actually want to hang out.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I know probably everyone has griped about it, but now I will. Why the gently caress did Nintendo release the New 3DS without a loving charger? Who thought that was a good idea? And it's impossible to go to a store and buy an (official) charger, so you have to order one online and wait for it to ship. So instead of being able to go into a store, buy a New 3DS and play it, I'll have to get the charger delivered and then get the system. And even if they're expecting you to already have a 3DS charger (which I don't), any place you go to trade in your old system will want the charger for it as well. I could understand for something like a mini/micro usb cord that everyone already probably has a bunch of...

I'm fairly patient and I can wait for a charger to show up, but still, how the gently caress can you not include your proprietary charger with the system you're selling?

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
I had a guy wait for me to pull out of a parking spot once, by parking in front of me. As in, he was blocking me from pulling out and letting him into the drat spot. When I'm finally able to get around his huge rear end car and pass him on the oncoming lane, he shouts "What the gently caress is wrong with you!?" loving Boston.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I really don't understand the stupid that takes people over in a car.

Today's pet peeve is people in massive cars who don't seem to realize they're massive. I had to turn down a road that had someone in a giant, squatting SUV was taking three quarters of the entrance. And they weren't turning:. Every time someone stopped to let them in, the driver looked to me like "you gonna go?". There's no space for my whole car.

I kept making little narrow hand signs, people keep honking, and the only clear path is for this personal bus that just isn't moving. And of course, the bitch driving looks furious.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Butt Ox posted:

I know probably everyone has griped about it, but now I will. Why the gently caress did Nintendo release the New 3DS without a loving charger? Who thought that was a good idea? And it's impossible to go to a store and buy an (official) charger, so you have to order one online and wait for it to ship. So instead of being able to go into a store, buy a New 3DS and play it, I'll have to get the charger delivered and then get the system. And even if they're expecting you to already have a 3DS charger (which I don't), any place you go to trade in your old system will want the charger for it as well. I could understand for something like a mini/micro usb cord that everyone already probably has a bunch of...

I'm fairly patient and I can wait for a charger to show up, but still, how the gently caress can you not include your proprietary charger with the system you're selling?

What the gently caress? That's even stupider than the new iPhone.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Thin Privilege posted:

What the gently caress? That's even stupider than the new iPhone.

It's the same charger from the last 7 iterations. And Nintendo fans tend to grab revised hardware on the same schedule as Apple fans, so most people buying the New 3DS have 2 or 3 chargers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That's basically saying "we don't care about getting new customers anymore" though. You should never assume someone's going to have something that's required to use your product. Printers do it too (or at least, did) where they just assume everyone has some spare usb A to B cables laying around. The annoyance is that most people assume it's going to have it, and if they happen to be one of the people who don't, they have to go out and make another purchase. At least put it in prominent lettering on the box that you have to buy t he charger separately and/or put the 3DS display right next to the chargers so people are more likely to realize.

You're right that it's not a problem for most people, but it's such a nonsensical choice to make - surely including a charger in the box isn't going to be a dealbreaker on their profit margins.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Brawnfire posted:

I really don't understand the stupid that takes people over in a car.

Parking in a Handicap spot brings out the idiots. We park, I get out, I get my Service Dog out, and the people who want to use the regular spot are ticked off because it takes a few extra seconds to get the dog out and clear of where they want to park. Then comes the glare and the mumbling. JFC, lady, I promise that the store won't sell out of Coke and pork rinds before you can get to them.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Murphy Brownback posted:

That's basically saying "we don't care about getting new customers anymore" though. You should never assume someone's going to have something that's required to use your product. Printers do it too (or at least, did) where they just assume everyone has some spare usb A to B cables laying around. The annoyance is that most people assume it's going to have it, and if they happen to be one of the people who don't, they have to go out and make another purchase. At least put it in prominent lettering on the box that you have to buy t he charger separately and/or put the 3DS display right next to the chargers so people are more likely to realize.

You're right that it's not a problem for most people, but it's such a nonsensical choice to make - surely including a charger in the box isn't going to be a dealbreaker on their profit margins.

Hey now those $30 for 1,000,000 cables could have paid for the CEO's maid for the week!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Thin Privilege posted:

Hey now those $30 for 1,000,000 cables could have paid for the CEO's maid for the week!

They still make the chargers though! But they only sell them separately! And only online!

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

DarkCrawler posted:

Writing with a pen is my pet peeve. Since these days about 98% of my writing is on a computer the remaining two percent is always a disaster and starts hurting my hand after a while.

It's 2016, the longest thing thing I should need a pen for is my signature :colbert:

Same here. Additionally, my writing is terrible. I sacrificed neatness for speed and then lost the speed. I get hand pain pretty quickly so you can imagine how annoying a written application form is; especially one from a few years which wanted paragraphs written in block capitals.

---

Having somehow not dealt with employment agencies for such a long time I had forgotten just how annoying they were. I registered with one last week and must have written out my personal details more than 5 times. Mail merge for gently caress sake! You'll only need my signature then.

Then there was the agency who contacted me by e-mail.....to say that they couldn't contact me :bang:
And another one who didn't even bother with the e-mail.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Guests who have people over who aren't in our system, call a cab under that person's name, and then don't wait in the lobby. Then the taxi driver shows up and they're like "do you have a Minnie Moskowitz" and of course we don't because they're not registered in the system, so the taxi driver leaves and, finally, ten minutes later Minnie and her pal Mabel, the actual guest, come strolling down and raise a fuss about "where's the cab??? why didn't they stay???? our dinner reservations!!!" Like, sorry this isn't Butthole, Nebraska where there's one taxi driver who spends most of his day picking his nose, you gotta be on point.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Murphy Brownback posted:

It is on the package, at least. I agree that it's dumb not to include a proprietary charger, though. It would be a whole different matter if the thing just used micro or mini USB. I have a million of those lying around.

What I'm saying is, chargers really should be standardized.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If there are a decent portion of people complaining that they didn't realize it didn't come without a charger, the thing on the box wasn't prominent enough.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I guess I'm feeling pissy today so: big groups of people who gather in the lobby and have a big loving loudass party for like an hour. Eight people sitting in a group ten feet from the front desk cackling and buying sodas and screaming with laughter. Go away! There's a whole second floor literally dedicated to hanging out, stop yelling so I can check people in without raising my voice and people can sit and wait for taxis. jfc.

edit: also, people who have personal discussions in the lobby and then glance at me and hush their voices, and then keep glancing at me as if they're trying to hint at me to give them some privacy. I'm paid to sit here, maybe go talk about your mom's bowel problems somewhere else.

Magic Hate Ball has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Sep 10, 2016

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Being shushed.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

docbeard posted:

...Where it crosses a line for me is when it becomes a macabre obsession with a public figure's life or death. As a recent example, Prince. (It may be because he was a local, but it seemed particularly bad with him.) It's awesome how many people found his work and life meaningful. It's none of my business or yours how he died, or what addictions he was struggling with, or what doctors were with him the day he died, or or or loving or. Mourn the dead as you see fit, but show them and their loved ones some loving respect...

In the Twin Cities, Prince's death had a different effect than the rest of the nation. He really did try to be involved with his fans and with people on the street. People at my work cried (non crocodile) tears.

My only Prince story is that my junior high science teacher introduced Prince to the color of royal purple through a sample of fluorite. He became obsessed with the idea of royal purple. I have friends in town that met him personally, I never did. He never stopped being a Minnesota boy and that's what's important.

Yes, it is over the top, but that doesn't stop us from missing him.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I know all this has been covered by the thread before, but WHY is it so loving impossible for retail managers to write a decent schedule? I don't expect to work 9-5 Monday-Friday, but for gently caress's sake, is it too much to ask to not have split days off every loving week, or to not be scheduled close-open-close-open-close? Like, in my mind, it seems reasonable that they could take the time to write ONE good schedule and then copy it every week, making any necessary adjustments to cover holidays/time off etc. I mean, I've never written a schedule and I'm sure it's trickier than I'm imagining, but it seems like these fuckers are just putting everyone's names in a bag and dumping it out all over a calendar.

Also, friends and family, when I tell you "I can't, I have to close that day" or "my schedule is really inconsistent, I need advance warning for things", I really mean it, I'm not trying to weasel out of seeing you. Don't get all huffy and stop inviting me to poo poo just because you forgot I have a life outside of your last-minute road trip whims.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nettles Coterie posted:

I know all this has been covered by the thread before, but WHY is it so loving impossible for retail managers to write a decent schedule? I don't expect to work 9-5 Monday-Friday, but for gently caress's sake, is it too much to ask to not have split days off every loving week, or to not be scheduled close-open-close-open-close? Like, in my mind, it seems reasonable that they could take the time to write ONE good schedule and then copy it every week, making any necessary adjustments to cover holidays/time off etc. I mean, I've never written a schedule and I'm sure it's trickier than I'm imagining, but it seems like these fuckers are just putting everyone's names in a bag and dumping it out all over a calendar.

Also, friends and family, when I tell you "I can't, I have to close that day" or "my schedule is really inconsistent, I need advance warning for things", I really mean it, I'm not trying to weasel out of seeing you. Don't get all huffy and stop inviting me to poo poo just because you forgot I have a life outside of your last-minute road trip whims.

Oh man, that last part is a pet peeve of mine: the people who somehow lucked into a steady weekday business-hours job with weekends and actual holidays off, and can't conceive of anybody having to work nights, weekends, holidays. I have one group of friends that are all in fields that work normal hours like that, so they always get together on Saturdays, which I almost always have to work. I haven't seen them in a long-rear end time because of it. They COULD do Sunday too, which I usually have off... but they just don't. Oh well.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Doing rotas at a previous job was pretty tough, I'm not defending a bad scheduler but its really hard when you are trying to please everyone AND follow the idiot guidelines laid out by head office. Example: "no less than 3 staff on at all times but no one of your dozen staff gets more than the 8 hours a week they are contracted".

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Today is Sunday. I don't work. But if I were to go in to work and ask someone what day it was, the person at shipping would say it was their Wednesday. The person in packing would say it's their Monday, and the other jackfuck would say it was their Friday.

IT IS loving SUNDAY YOU loving PRETENTIOUS SHITSTAINS. WE DON'T CHANGE THE CALENDAR DAY BASED ON YOUR DAYS OFF.

Peeve: people who also whine about something being "theirs." StarWars used to be theirs before Disney ruined it. Transformers was theirs before Bay ruined it.

poo poo like that. Last night in the aquarium club meeting, I overheard one of the older members whisper to a newbie that this wasn't "his" club anymore because of all the changes in the past few years. Because some members moved, some died, some changed positions. The old guy is bitching for a time when he got into arguments, and almost physical fights, with another member (who died), when he could take over the entire meeting talking with the oldest member about some new filter (said member died ten years ago), and when we were a smaller club without any links to other clubs. He also holds a huge grudge because when a member died, no one in the club offered to drive the five hours to his house to pay respects. All of this means the club is not HIS anymore. Meanwhile he does gently caress all in the club, shows up every few months to bitch about how things were different, and complains how the new president never listens to him. The club isn't his anymore. But if it was, there wouldn't be a club because people don't like showing up to events with three men screaming insults at each other.

Peeve: when you are doing something active, like, cleaning up and moving boxes and in general trying to do some late summer cleaning, and someone just stands there and stares. No, there isn't enough room for us both to be in the shed without bumping into each other, but don't you have something else to do that isn't just watching me work up a sweat? Customers, family, friends, whatever, it's a loving event to be gawked at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Nettles Coterie posted:

What used to drive me batshit crazy when I worked retail was them scheduling 5.75 hour shifts. You see, if you work 6 hours or more, you'd get to fifteen minute breaks and a half-hour (unpaid) lunch. 5.75 hours, however, would only get you a single 15-minute break.

Lemme tell you, by the end of those 5.75 hours, I would be loving dying. I would gladly have worked the extra 15 minutes to have some more time to rest my aching feet.

I have no idea why they did it that way, because they actually have to pay you more for a 5.75 hour shift than a 6 hour- since you have to clock out for your lunch. It baffled me then and it still does now.