Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

It's weird to me that he also directed Dawn of the Dead, because that was a decent little action-horror flick before the zombie renaissance got run into the ground then fracked into the Earth's core.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Otisburg posted:

It's weird to me that he also directed Dawn of the Dead, because that was a decent little action-horror flick before the zombie renaissance got run into the ground then fracked into the Earth's core.

Here's the issue with DotD: what part of it's success can be attributed to Snyder and what part is responsbile due to the screenwriter, James Gunn?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Still too evenly lit.

Corel Painter's color correction tools aren't the best and I'm not the best at using them.
CD trying to "fix" the cinematography by "Snydernizing" it :lol:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All I recall was a lot of Snyder's favorite-- tracking shot montage that skip from one scene to the next through the walls. He reused it for the opening of Watchmen, which I begrudgingly admit was a solid way to acclimate the audience to that world.'

achillesforever6 posted:

Oh wow before I didn't buy the seriousness of a bunch of Edgar Wright Burroughs rejects under the command of a Norse god invading Midtown New York on space-scooters and techno-whales, but now I see it. Before it was a tension-relieving moment of the most unassuming member of the team on a discount moment putting up to the team after several straight minutes of Power Ranger fighting with sci-fi supertech, but now... now it's real cinema.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 4, 2016

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Young Freud posted:

Here's the issue with DotD: what part of it's success can be attributed to Snyder and what part is responsbile due to the screenwriter, James Gunn?

The opening credits with Johnny Cash was 100% Snyder and 100% good because it can't be stated enough he's only suited for directing music videos, not actors and narratives.

Judging by their post-DotD careers, all the flaws are Snyder's fault, and all the highlights are directly due to James Gunn and Snyder probably fought against their inclusion.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Gatekeeper posted:

I'm watchin the watchmen (lol) and like yeah, you can tell there's lots of poo poo Snyder just doesn't get about the graphic novel and there's so much poo poo he inexplicably changed and important themes he left out entirely and he tries a bunch of times to shoehorn in his own ideas alongside the ideas in the original story which are frequently completely at odds with each other because he doesn't understand that rorschach is not actually the good guy for example and the "great at slo-mo and nothing else"/"he should be making music videos, not movies" complaints are really REALLY obvious in this movie but

everyone shits crazy hard on the hallelujah scene, and i dont entirely get the hate. Is it because he's trying to be ironic by using thatsong for a sex scene but doesnt understand that the song is actually about loving? Is it that nite owls fetishism over that golden age hero poo poo was better left subtle and not with a big old sign shining "hey this guy can't get hard without wearin his fuckin costume lol"?

Huh I guess I do get why everyone hates it

I don't really have a problem with the song Snyder chose, but what really bugs me about that scene is in the source material it's strongly evocative of NOSTALGIA (it's loving painted on with a roller really) and Snyder instead did two hot young people loving which kind of wrecks it (like how aging and decadence and nostalgia and the cold war are all crucial themes of the source material that he didn't understand and so left out)

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

in the grim future of Cinema Discusso there is only brown

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Flesh Forge posted:

Love to look out my window and see my brown sky and metallic, glistening ground. I've played Gears of War so much I've forgotten what this planet looks like.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Flesh Forge posted:

broken up intermittently by statuesque white people

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

The opening credits with Johnny Cash was 100% Snyder and 100% good because it can't be stated enough he's only suited for directing music videos, not actors and narratives.

this is also why the manhattan sequence is fantastic.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

close CD and ban everyone in it holy poo poo

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The last hour of Man of Steel, in which Superman fights 9/11, is a pretty fun movie in my opinion. Pa Kent being weird as gently caress is basically a melodramatic misfire of an attempt at Batman Begins logic, which itself was spurious.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
They've got be joking, right? It's just self aware parody now. Seeing how far they can go and seeing if we'll still buy it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

No Superman, don't help people! The free market will decide who is worthy of not being drowned in a schoolbus!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well if you go on to manage an IHOP isn't that a fate worse than death?

No of course it loving isn't

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Quote-Unquote posted:

No Superman, don't help people! The free market will decide who is worthy of not being drowned in a schoolbus!

Super Randman

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Moola posted:

Unironically this. EVERYONE, including me.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Unironically this. EVERYONE, including me.

please tell me someone in CD gave you that av. please.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Moola posted:

Basically, the reading that White knows about Clark's alter-ego hinges upon interpreting all of his dialog as thinly-veiled, but acerbically witty and self-conscious "put on" for the sake of copping for this god-man. The fundamental question we need to ask is, why would Perry agree to have the Superman on his journalistic staff? Because you saved my life? What does that mean with regards to your obviously false credentials which I now need to become complicit in fabricating so that we can conveniently ignore that you're just some dirt farmer's kid who's only ever been trusted to clean tables and turn valves your whole life?

It's an almost conspiratorial way of interpreting the film, that Perry gets off on his performance of just persistently down-talking to or ignoring Clark's opinion, he's totally unafraid of the man of steel and completely cynical about his "real world skills." Like, when he says, "clicks his heels three times and goes back to Kansas, I suppose," it's his more-Marvel-than-Marvel moment where he just roots his life in the history of popular "dreams," one that he can't escape from.

The problem is Perry never acts like a guy who's as in love with the image of Superman as the Cowardly Lion is with the image of Dorothy, possessing them to strive to be more than they think they can be because of their fear (one of the "market," the other of "violence"). But "the Superman" is completely peripheral to Perry's perspective - He sees a picture of his defaced monument and, within ear-shot of the guy, vocally announces that he's going to perpetuate dialog speculating over his motives as an invasive "man from the sky" rather than criticism of the flagrantly immoral Gotham police force. Perry only brings up the Superman explicitly in private conversation once, and it's based on his relationship to him through Lois, who he cynically assumes is only out to make "her boyfriend" out to be a victim. But Perry clearly doesn't even take the idea of "a threat to Superman" seriously. He considers Superman's existence just an opportunity to sell papers, not a more complex political narrative that refers back to systemic problems.

The point is that Perry is alienated from the moral universe that people who know Superman personally are forced to occupy. He sees everything as one big "honey-pot," basically.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

those are all words written about the black guy who was in the movie for maybe thirty seconds

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that post turned me gay even though i was already gay so i guess now i'm double gay

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Bro Dad posted:

those are all words written about the black guy who was in the movie for maybe thirty seconds

Interior, Daily Planet

Perry White nods at an intern

Cut to exterior shot of Metropolis

The important thing here is what he didn't say. *rambling 37,000 word treatise on western civilization*

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Germstore posted:

please tell me someone in CD gave you that av. please.

I don't know if it was CD or GBS, I spend a LOT of time arguing about comic book movies on the Internet. But for your sake, (a "Beautiful Lie" if you will) yeah I'm pretty sure somebody in CD gave it to me. Fair disclosure, I deserve it for being the living incarnation of the slobbering Snyder fanboy strawman so masterfully beaten up in those topics.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bro Dad posted:

Basically, the reading that White knows about Clark's alter-ego hinges upon interpreting all of his dialog as thinly-veiled, but acerbically witty and self-conscious "put on" for the sake of copping for this god-man. The fundamental question we need to ask is, why would Perry agree to have the Superman on his journalistic staff? Because you saved my life? What does that mean with regards to your obviously false credentials which I now need to become complicit in fabricating so that we can conveniently ignore that you're just some dirt farmer's kid who's only ever been trusted to clean tables and turn valves your whole life?

It's an almost conspiratorial way of interpreting the film, that Perry gets off on his performance of just persistently down-talking to or ignoring Clark's opinion, he's totally unafraid of the man of steel and completely cynical about his "real world skills." Like, when he says, "clicks his heels three times and goes back to Kansas, I suppose," it's his more-Marvel-than-Marvel moment where he just roots his life in the history of popular "dreams," one that he can't escape from.

The problem is Perry never acts like a guy who's as in love with the image of Superman as the Cowardly Lion is with the image of Dorothy, possessing them to strive to be more than they think they can be because of their fear (one of the "market," the other of "violence"). But "the Superman" is completely peripheral to Perry's perspective - He sees a picture of his defaced monument and, within ear-shot of the guy, vocally announces that he's going to perpetuate dialog speculating over his motives as an invasive "man from the sky" rather than criticism of the flagrantly immoral Gotham police force. Perry only brings up the Superman explicitly in private conversation once, and it's based on his relationship to him through Lois, who he cynically assumes is only out to make "her boyfriend" out to be a victim. But Perry clearly doesn't even take the idea of "a threat to Superman" seriously. He considers Superman's existence just an opportunity to sell papers, not a more complex political narrative that refers back to systemic problems.

The point is that Perry is alienated from the moral universe that people who know Superman personally are forced to occupy. He sees everything as one big "honey-pot," basically.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Bro Dad posted:

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think there's a normalizing aspect of homosociality that automatically engenders any queer-ness. Like, I agree to the extent that I think LaBeef's character is legitimately a closeted homosexual who's in love with his father/Jesus/God, but I think especially at this point historically there's a difference between homosexuality and queer-ness. Fury is about as queer as Stand By Me, is what I mean (though I don't know how you feel about Stand By Me).

You're right, that queer doesn't always mean sexually outré - but I feel like it should mark a much more deliberate disturbance of hetero-patriarchal sexuality that goes a bit beyond, "Hey, you know you're very intimate with your male friends in high stress situations, ever think about what that implies?" I think a good example of subtle queer-ness actually does come off in Harley and Puddin's relationship, say, in their "taking turns" sitting on men's laps, Harley becoming more objectified by copping his style, etc. It's just sort of there and wonderful.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Apparently as well as Magic and Kryptonite, Superman is vulnerable to the Pontypool virus.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Bro Dad posted:

if CD is one big gimmick troll

then its an extremely lovely unfunny gimmick troll

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's no way that at least one of the CD posts crossed here or elsewhere wasn't a deliberate satire and no one could tell the difference, which illustrates how poorly regarded CD-style posting is moreso than "hah they're so stupid they can't tell when we're being pompous and unfunny or pompous and unfunny on purpose".

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ok I'm going to finish this poo poo up.

The World Ship can increase the Earth's mass? Ok. Now why do they need to terraform Earth again? One of the soldiers doesn't know what terraforming is.

Superman doesn't pick out his own name.

Lois and Superman somehow find out that by colliding the ships they can make it explode.

Why is Superman scowling all the time?

Superman lifting off is now destructive.

Metropolis is being destroyed but nobody cares because we've spent 5 minutes there before. We're also supposed to care about the Daily Planet civilians for some reason.

Jenny stares while a building collapses.

Zod and Jor-el have a spirited debate. Jor-el really likes his son even though he's only met him for 10 minutes.

Zod somehow expects Superman to care when he says Superman will destroy Krypton. Not only does Superman not care he angrily decides to blast the ship in a very mean spirited way.

Why is Lois on the airplane?

Why are huge chunks of concrete being pulled up by Lois falling?

Lois and Clark kiss in the wreckage. Superman has to note he doesn't consider himself a human.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

subtle queer-ness

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

There's no way that at least one of the CD posts crossed here or elsewhere wasn't a deliberate satire and no one could tell the difference, which illustrates how poorly regarded CD-style posting is moreso than "hah they're so stupid they can't tell when we're being pompous and unfunny or pompous and unfunny on purpose".

Of course it was satire, although not that many people appreciate it. I actually do, at times, and I think SMG brings a lot of joy to the forums at the expense of everybody who flips out at his posts. If he and his posts weren't here the movie forum would be pretty much "OMG RAD THAT MOVIE WAS BALLER"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

Of course it was satire, although not that many people appreciate it. I actually do, at times, and I think SMG brings a lot of joy to the forums at the expense of everybody who flips out at his posts. If he and his posts weren't here the movie forum would be pretty much "OMG RAD THAT MOVIE WAS BALLER"

Oh I wasn't referring to what you posted.

I don't really care about SMG or CD tbh, it's more of a general annoyance at the pretension film analysis can breed.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flesh Forge posted:

a lot of the poo poo he says isn't supported by the film he's talking about and people get pissed when you point that out.

it's kind of annoying pointing out the emperor has no clothes and then peeps like you are all WELL HE GETS PEOPLE MAD HAHA

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Well if everyone including the emperor knew he was naked and everyone was having a grand time peeping his dick then I guess people would get annoyed at the kid yelling about how he's naked.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"He's pretending to be retarded but we all know so let's laugh at the kid who just got here and mistook us as actually retarded because we're so good at consistently pretending to be retarded."

Can't imagine how that would be exasperating.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

if CD is one big gimmick troll

then its an extremely lovely unfunny gimmick troll

I don't know why CD is still alive, and that gimmick Aspie "Who Talked Like This And Always Asked Questions About How to Be Human" was banned.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

a lot of the poo poo he says isn't supported by the film he's talking about and people get pissed when you point that out.

it's kind of annoying pointing out the emperor has no clothes and then peeps like you are all WELL HE GETS PEOPLE MAD HAHA

I didn't say his analyses make any sense at all, and what makes that scenario lovely is not so much SMG himself (at least that I've seen), it's the weird groupies that get really nasty when you disagree with him. I've had long conversations with him about Prometheus and Interstellar and he never struck me as a really unpleasant person, but the 8-10 hard core SMG fans that hang on his every word, gently caress them all :shrug:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
i'm just saying it would be neat to have a film sub forum where you could discuss films like a normal person without annoying overly verbose flowery text aspies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

But they're only pretending to be overly verbose flowery text aspies, so it's ok?

• Locked thread