Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
god of high school has made no sense for like 100 chapters now but i'm still enjoying it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Jose posted:

god of high school has made no sense for like 100 chapters now but i'm still enjoying it

More than 100 but, same.

Edit: Did The Gamer go on hiatus or something? Nothing updated since mid July.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Actually god of high school is really good and knows how to use all of its characters forever while introducing millions of characters every week

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Voted Worst Mom posted:

Actually god of high school is really good and knows how to use all of its characters forever while introducing millions of characters every week

I like it. It's totally nuts every week but in the best way.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
They do relentlessly poo poo on Han Dae-Wi in new and interesting ways fairly often. You'd think they have peaked, but I'm sure they can find one or two more ways to poo poo on him before the end.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Voted Worst Mom posted:

This is true but I still don't understand it at all

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it's time :black101:

that translation though...

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah webtoon has some surprisingly inconsistent translations. You can still tell what's going on but you just think "...yeah no one talks like that"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I thought he already unsealed the seal once or twice in the past (and I want to say that one time might have been against some sub-family leader level dude though I could be wrong about that).

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

I thought he already unsealed the seal once or twice in the past (and I want to say that one time might have been against some sub-family leader level dude though I could be wrong about that).

Frankenstein's seal has definitely been released in the past, however, Frankenstein is basically a (slightly) less sadistic Alucard which means I will never get tired of the shtick. Honestly, same thing for Rai's ridiculous blood transformations and bleeding eyes. Rai will most likely eventually die but he will always be as strong as the plot requires and get to generate blood vortexes that shake the world/can be seen from space.

I think I'm most excited for Muzaka this time though, it will be nice to have a change of pace.

Edit: Also yeah that translation is terrible and seems like the artwork in the last few panels was unfinished. It might have been trying to show Frankenstein's crazy better but the last couple of pages just looked off to me.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 30, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

he unseals a lot, it's just that he puts his power back in the box when he's done. It's just a "now it's time to get serious" kind of thing.

I also never get tired of it and I'm also very excited to see Muzaka cut loose. Rai is boring though, I kinda like when he just stays home drinking tea or whatever.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So, I picked up and marathoned through Shin Angyo Onshi when I stumbled across it, and I have to say, if you haven't read Shin Angyo Onshi, you need to read Shin Angyo Onshi. And I mean all of it, including the author notes at the end of the volumes and the gag panels with the author, editor, and artists. It is seriously, legitimately, a fantastic, astounding manhwa.

On the subject of webcomics produced by webtoons, there is also The Strange Tales of Oscar Zahn. If you like Hellboy, you're going to like this one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gologle posted:

So, I picked up and marathoned through Shin Angyo Onshi when I stumbled across it, and I have to say, if you haven't read Shin Angyo Onshi, you need to read Shin Angyo Onshi. And I mean all of it, including the author notes at the end of the volumes and the gag panels with the author, editor, and artists. It is seriously, legitimately, a fantastic, astounding manhwa.

On the subject of webcomics produced by webtoons, there is also The Strange Tales of Oscar Zahn. If you like Hellboy, you're going to like this one.

But Shin Angyo Onshi is the Japanese title!!!!!

Please call it by its proper Korean name, which is Blade of the Phantom Master.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Gologle posted:

Yep. It's a lot of fun and one of the rarer manga/manwhas that has a well done ending.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What is even happening in God of High School anymore? I have no idea where this is all headed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Elysiume posted:

What is even happening in God of High School anymore? I have no idea where this is all headed.

I made this post last year.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I honestly just want to see how the main characters win right now. It was always about being able to punch above your weight class, but it was always "these guys are a bit stronger than me so I have to yell harder while fighting this time" or "these dudes are above average, but there's a lot of them" and we jumped straight to literal gods casually punching you through three time zones. That's a little beyond what the usual training arc can overcome in this universe.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

I honestly just want to see how the main characters win right now. It was always about being able to punch above your weight class, but it was always "these guys are a bit stronger than me so I have to yell harder while fighting this time" or "these dudes are above average, but there's a lot of them" and we jumped straight to literal gods casually punching you through three time zones. That's a little beyond what the usual training arc can overcome in this universe.

I've long learnt not to try and think when it comes to GoH ... i just enjoy the ride.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think whoever makes GoHS reads toriko and thinks about how they can make it even more ridiculous

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'm pretty sure that with all the beings from even lower heavenly realms stopping by and with Jin Mori and Fox Mulder climbing through realms they're probably going to show up and kill everyone. Love seeing armless, legless man trying to beat up Zeus.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
http://www.webtoons.com/en/action/the-god-of-high-school/ep-276/viewer?title_no=66&episode_no=278

"How dare you send me to china?! I ran all the way here, rear end in a top hat!" - Korean man, after tackling Zeus, god of gods.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Binged through Girls of the Wilds. If nothing else them calling out the whole Betty & Veronica routine and it ending in a horrific emotional car crash for all concerned is so refreshing coming from the likes of Nisekoi et all.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Sep 23, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Voted Worst Mom posted:

http://www.webtoons.com/en/action/the-god-of-high-school/ep-276/viewer?title_no=66&episode_no=278

"How dare you send me to china?! I ran all the way here, rear end in a top hat!" - Korean man, after tackling Zeus, god of gods.

i enjoyed the homeless man sticking a grenade in zeus' mouth

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

Binged through Girls of the Wilds. If nothing else them calling out the whole Betty & Veronica routine and it ending in a horrific emotional car crash for all concerned is so refreshing coming from the likes of Nisekoi et all.

It's also remarkably realistic for the guy with horrific abandonment issues manifesting in distrust of all women to not just immediately get over it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I marathoned The Breaker Part 2: New Waves and...yeah, it's not as good as the original. Here's the things that are excellent about it: Elder Kwon, and that one page of Shioon saying that he's still got some time left before he turns to dust. Honorary mention of the Ghost Doctor calling out Chunwoo's bluff about blowing up the arena because he's so loving pissed his rival got killed he doesn't give a poo poo anymore. Just judging from New Waves, I won't bother keeping up with The Breaker part 3 until its finished and I can read it in its entirety, because seriously trying to follow this series as it came out must have been one of the most awful things I can imagine doing with your time. Someone earlier in the thread said that it was the way it was because it was setting up Part 3, and I agree with that wholeheartedly. But I think that's kind of lame too, a story should stand on its own without setting up the next part, and New Waves doesn't do a very good job at that.

So here's my predictions for Part 3. Chunwoo's life basically sucks right now and it's probably not at all how he wanted things to go when he first set out to be a martial artist, so he's rigging the game so Shioon can kill him. I'm saying there's about a 50/50 chance that Chunwoo dies at the end, and if he does, there's a 50/50 chance that it'll be him either killing himself directly or indirectly, or Shioon doing it. I can't really say what might happen with any other character, but for those characters, I'm calling it as the endgame.

Also why does the author keep bringing up Saehee when she serves next to no point, they completely ignore her existence until it's time for "uh oh, gotta give Shioon motivation."

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

ConanThe3rd posted:

I did the same a while back and never bothered to keep up with it once I finished binging. It's good, but at times it feels like it's good despite the author's best efforts. When he's doing romance or character building the author really shines, but any time fighting is involved the whole thing feels like it's balancing on a thread trying to justify why the badass women are feeling literally any tension at all.

For example the last time I read it was when the one chick got kidnapped and the main character teamed up with his ~rival~ to rescue her. In isolation that's a fine setup to deal with and you could really work with it if you play your cards right, which the author mostly does. But this girl is of of the famed badasses, capable of punching and kicking through baseball bats and knocking people across rooms. The author basically left her there tied to a chair pining for someone to rescue her. Getting kidnapped by crazy stalkers is a completely hosed up situation to be sure, but don't try to tell me the equivalent of anime Bruce Lee is completely stymied by a handful of untrained dudes and some rope.

Also it really bugs me that the author thinks the reason boxing gloves exist is as a handicap so punches don't feel as hard. I thought it was making fun of a character's inexperience but it kept popping up and was still completely wrong each time.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Wrist Watch posted:

I did the same a while back and never bothered to keep up with it once I finished binging. It's good, but at times it feels like it's good despite the author's best efforts. When he's doing romance or character building the author really shines, but any time fighting is involved the whole thing feels like it's balancing on a thread trying to justify why the badass women are feeling literally any tension at all.

For example the last time I read it was when the one chick got kidnapped and the main character teamed up with his ~rival~ to rescue her. In isolation that's a fine setup to deal with and you could really work with it if you play your cards right, which the author mostly does. But this girl is of of the famed badasses, capable of punching and kicking through baseball bats and knocking people across rooms. The author basically left her there tied to a chair pining for someone to rescue her. Getting kidnapped by crazy stalkers is a completely hosed up situation to be sure, but don't try to tell me the equivalent of anime Bruce Lee is completely stymied by a handful of untrained dudes and some rope.

Also it really bugs me that the author thinks the reason boxing gloves exist is as a handicap so punches don't feel as hard. I thought it was making fun of a character's inexperience but it kept popping up and was still completely wrong each time.

Yeah, that kidnapping arc was making me roll my eyes the entire way through. I ended up ignoring the series for a while to just plow through it once the arc was over.

The absolute worst part for me was how after the kidnapping was over, the comic makes a big deal about how she's all traumatized then just drops it over the course of a chapter or two.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dropped Girls of the Wild after that dude tried to literally poison MC's younger siblings and got away with it cause his club members stopped the MC from wailing on him.

I dunno maybe he got beaten later but it was still pretty stupid.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I dropped Girls of the Wild after that dude tried to literally poison MC's younger siblings and got away with it cause his club members stopped the MC from wailing on him.

I dunno maybe he got beaten later but it was still pretty stupid.

You missed a long (but good) fight arc to retrieve bathroom pictures of Queen which turned out to actually just be pictures of her washing her face, in a bathroom

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have a hard time sticking with Korean webtoons.

Only thing I keep up with at the moment is Hive and Black Maria.

And Sound of Your Heart and Friday and Tales of the Strange, but they're all short stories. Sound of Your Heart is pretty much all single stories with rare callbacks, Friday generally ranges between 2 ~ 3 chapters per story, and Tales of the Strange is a bit longer but still not too long (except that one about the dog).

I finished Bastard but skipped like, 20 or so chapters near the end. I only read the last chapters once I found out it had ended.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tales of the Strange/Unusual is super fun

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shugojin posted:

Tales of the Strange/Unusual is super fun

I like that it's not just horror but stuff that's like, strange. Like the most recent arc with the wigs.

Too bad the west doesn't get the extra joke chapters.

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Shugojin posted:

You missed a long (but good) fight arc to retrieve bathroom pictures of Queen which turned out to actually just be pictures of her washing her face, in a bathroom

This sounds amazing.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FrantzX posted:

This sounds amazing.

It kinda is but no one really calls her out on it which is weird given "You're on another planet" was basically Daldal's entire argument during the Archie nonsense.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I have a hard time sticking with Korean webtoons.

you should read god of highschool for the absolute insanity of it all imo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Jose posted:

you should read god of highschool for the absolute insanity of it all imo

Seconding this. Also The Gamer ain't too bad.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah I take what I said about Girls of the Wilds back, this latest chapter is an utter mess.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Yeah I take what I said about Girls of the Wilds back, this latest chapter is an utter mess.

I'm so angry after this latest chapter. Mainly with myself because everytime I drop this shitshow I just can't help myself and sooner or later come back and aaaarrrrggghhhhh.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bernardo Orel posted:

I'm so angry after this latest chapter. Mainly with myself because everytime I drop this shitshow I just can't help myself and sooner or later come back and aaaarrrrggghhhhh.

It's the worst if only because you know what the author was going for and with due care they could have pulled it off.

You're seriously telling me it would have been a bother to show Jaegu forgetting to pick up his phone in the blind panic? Really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
http://www.webtoons.com/en/action/the-god-of-high-school/ep-277

Daewi, the absolute madman.