Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

MadJackMcJack posted:

I really wish more cruisers would wise up and shoot destroyers whenever they get spotted instead of spamming HE at battleships. I get it, it's fun setting things on fire, but it's not gonna help you much when your battleship backup gets sunk by torpedoes and now there's nobody to help save you from a vengeful and crispy battleship.

I target the fat boys until I see a DD then I prioritize them else its asking for doom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm really bad at hitting DDs until 5-7km. I probably just need more practice.

Iveliosiudicium
Aug 21, 2003
Why are you looking at me like that?
I default lead everything by about 8 to 10 seconds, and adjust as needed from there. Try that until you get a feel for how you like to shoot. Bb's I'll slow it down to 6-8 if they're angled. Russian dd's I'll lead by 15 seconds unless they're in a turn since their speed is a step above all other dds.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ok, this settles it. I am never selling my Nassau.

We're losing. We're down to three BBs - 2 Nassaus and a Konig Albert, and 4 DDs and 3 BBs have capped all three points. We're down about 800 to 300 points. And then the tide turns. We lose the other Nassau, but he takes a BB with him. I go cap A and B, the KA goes for C. We split a kill on one BB and get all 4 DDs while I get A and B; the KA can't get C because their last BB is killing him. When the KA goes down, we're at 900-about 500 and I'm almost into C. I outflank the last enemy, another Nassau, around an island and manage to take him down even though he had more HP than I did.

The Konig Albert and I both got Kraken. And High Calibre, Confederate, and a handful more badges each.

This is what is best in life:

http://imgur.com/gallery/8VRQC

I wish I had replays enabled.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Okay, I have two questions, do people actually use the coop mode? I won't ever use it, but I'm curious. Do you actually earn XP in these?

About a a quarter to 1/3 of the game's population plays exclusively co-op mode.

You do earn XP, but it's a fraction of what it would be like in the 'real' game.

Note that unless other people also use the Yokosuka port, all anime content is turned off. Most people cannot see the kawaii pink myoko you are running around in, unless they are fellow dumb anime lovers that also believe that wargames are just not fun enough unless you include grating japanese high pitched voices and creepy prepubescent cartoon females in various suggestive poses.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Pacra posted:

About a a quarter to 1/3 of the game's population plays exclusively co-op mode.

You do earn XP, but it's a fraction of what it would be like in the 'real' game.

Back when I played actively, I used to read the forums a little for a laugh. There's an entire community of the little bastards who post their 'amazing' Co-Op mode replays of their heroic anime bote killing tons of bots and pat each other on the back for it.

There was also an idiotic (and hilarious) thread where the posters very seriously discussed how it was a tragedy the US never built a nuclear powered BB and suggested we both should, and should arm it with only 12 inch guns for 'faster fire rate'.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm really bad at hitting DDs until 5-7km. I probably just need more practice.

If you're further out then that and he's broadside on, lead him about 10-15 seconds (depending on the speed of both the DD and your shells). If he's not broadside on, he's not launching torpedoes at you, so just spam shots at him until you get the sweet spot. Even if you don't hit him, you're forcing him to flee and when he's fleeing he's not torpedoing you and your team.

EDIT: I can see co-op being a decent place to learn how to lead your shots on a new ship, but beyond that it'll lead to bad habits.

MadJackMcJack fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Sep 8, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pacra posted:

Note that unless other people also use the Yokosuka port, all anime content is turned off. Most people cannot see the kawaii pink myoko you are running around in, unless they are fellow dumb anime lovers that also believe that wargames are just not fun enough unless you include grating japanese high pitched voices and creepy prepubescent cartoon females in various suggestive poses.

It's great because it lets you turn a blind eye to platoonmates' shame so they can use their free ship.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The last time I played co-op was learning how to CV, so I wouldn't be a huge burden on the team. TBH, not a fan of CVs.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

22 Eargesplitten posted:

TBH, not a fan of CVs.

I played three games in my Lexington and then sold it because lofuckingl that was so boring

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Soo, are these collection of posts suggesting no one has experience with the fighter ammo change on american cvs? Anyone noticing a difference in game with them able to loiter longer against an enemy cv?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Remind me, this is what turtleback armor is supposed to look like...

...the Dunkerque has (less effective) turtleback armor??

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh darn, I missed out on adding the Diana to my ~flotilla~. :smith:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Blindeye posted:

Yes. However there's a much before less that you're missing. The thing with the German turtleback armor that isn't the case on the Dunkerque and other ships with a turtleback is that the turtleback is both very thick (over 100 mm) and at a very steep angle to the belt. The second bit's the key and also why it's impractical in real life. When the turtleback is at 60 degrees to the horizontal, anything that's coming in hard enough to penetrate the belt is going to be close and therefore at a very steep angle to the turtleback. When it's at 45 or 30, it's pretty easy for the shell to come in at an angle that can deal with both the belt and turtleback. It's the same effect that makes having the shell caliber to overmatch the bow plating important, since firing from dead on frontally means you're coming in at an angle where you need to overmatch or the combination of the flat capping plate at the end of the citadel and the very strongly angled bow will stop your shells.

Thing with the steeply angled turtleback is that that really limits the height of the citadel, and IRL that meant the Bismarck had key gunnery stuff outside the citadel and in her last battle she lost gunnery within an hour.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pacra posted:

That's a shame. I just got the Ashigara and the voice is the best. I don't know what weird suggestive poses you're talking about - is everything alright?

I wish WOT had these. I would've loved the GUP tanks in there.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

What are GUP tanks? let me google image search tha

:catstare:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Chill la Chill posted:

That's a shame. I just got the Ashigara and the voice is the best. I don't know what weird suggestive poses you're talking about - is everything alright?

Well tanks is doing a crossover promotion with Valkryie Chronicles, though it looks to be Blitz only.

U dirty nerd
i bet your waifu is trash

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Ahaha just had a hilarious game in the Konig. Two Brothers and as usual pubbies cant count or think so 9 of the team goes west and only 3 east. So its me and an Minekaze and a Gnevny against a Dunkerque, New York, Pensacola, Mutsuki, and Farragut.

Gnevny kills the Mutsuki, our Minekaze dies to the battleships. So now its 2 on 4. I pound away half the Farragut's hp with a lucky salvo and the Gnevny finishes him off but dies to his torps. So now its me against 3. The Pensacola is bad and tries cutting his engines to dodge my salvos and I blap him pretty quick. But the Dunkaroo and NY have been whittling me down plus some fires from the cruiser and DD. The New York gives up and leaves to go cap and the Dunkerque starts chasing me into the corner. Im at about 8000hp and hes at 30000. I'm angling like mad and now he is within about 6 and pointed right at me. I just keep aiming for his turrets, stunning them and finally knocking them both out. He has to resort to ramming and we both die. And best of all my dumbass team actually won.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So the trailer for the USS Indianapolis movie is out, and it has Nic Cage doing what he does best, which is standing around wide-eyed and shouting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDPE-NronKk

They went suuuuuuper cheap on the CGI, too.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Had to throw in the overwrought drama and a love story too, no doubt.

Why can't we get movies like Battle of the River Plate anymore?

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I look forward to all the sperging about the ship as presented in the movie not matching the real Indianapolis.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

kaesarsosei posted:

I look forward to all the sperging about the ship as presented in the movie not matching the real Indianapolis.

It will be this thread's Fury

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Junkozeyne posted:

For some reason* the Gneisenau has weaker armor than the Scharnhorst.
* The reason is money

So trying to take the hits on an angled broadside hurts the Geneisenau a lot more than the Scharnhorst. Scharnhorst has also 2% more Torpedo Protection. Peak Wargaming.

This is from a bit back, so maybe this patch fixed it without getting a note on it. Or the info is incorrect. Either way, armor viewer shows the same 350mm belt plate on the gneisenau as is on the scharnhorst. So yes, the ships have the exact same layout (they are sister ships after all). And the armor is listed at 25-350mm for both in the survivability tab.

Edit: Since I have a nikolai, I had to see the layout on this stalinium plated thing. This is ridiculous.

400mm conning tower (which btw, is that little nub right in front of the front smoke stack). Fore end armor belt is 100mm thick at the nose going to 200mm further back. Plating is 19mm. Side armor belt is 270mm. Also, when I hide plating, I see a kind of W shape with the citadel bit. If that is the signs of a turtleback or at least some sort of spacing, that would explain why the ship does well in a multitude of situations.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 8, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

That's a steep angle in the bad way and I'm not even sure there's a second plate on it. Plus the citadel extends above the cover of that angled deck anyway.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

xthetenth posted:

That's a steep angle in the bad way and I'm not even sure there's a second plate on it. Plus the citadel extends above the cover of that angled deck anyway.

Huh, you can hover over that, I didn't think you could so I didn't try. It lists it as deck 75mm. I just find it facinating. My scharn, gneis, hipper, tirpitz and dunker all have that internal decking. It isn't as steep on the scharn and gneis, while it looks like the dunker is about as steep (though, it is only listed at 40mm). Hipper is similarly steep, but the citadel is tucked into the entire gap. there is a thin 30mm plate there, but most of it is just a gap right into the citadel. So hit low enough on a hipper and maybe get deflected on that internal 30mm belt. While a smidge higher will be a straight shot at the citadel.

Meanwhile, the colorado is just flat box. However, it does rock a 343mm athwartship armor (itself and athwartship citadel)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
So.

So far I'm wandering down the US tree. I get Destroyers, sure, my Wickers usually gets a kill or two with the old "set random people on fire, broadside torpedo" tactic that usually resolves to "vomit torpedoes towards enemy, suddenly happen across ship around an island and broadside like some age of sail poo poo" but whatev

But the St. Louis

I'm not doing well there!! It's supposed to be a good ship, all the guns, I get that I snooped around some. But I'm not doing much damage, despite hitting. I'm apparently not supposed to use AP as it'd only wreck Japanese cruisers, but even switching to it every now and then it's about as effective as my HE shots are. Which is not very. Is there a secret to gunnery that I'm not getting? I occasionally take a bunch of chip damage, too, but then sometimes I lose half my health and etc.

how do i gun

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Before you respond to Chill la Chill, just know they're an uber weeb who has a Poe Dameron anime body pillow, so basically the target audience for all this anime stuff.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

This is from a bit back, so maybe this patch fixed it without getting a note on it. Or the info is incorrect. Either way, armor viewer shows the same 350mm belt plate on the gneisenau as is on the scharnhorst. So yes, the ships have the exact same layout (they are sister ships after all). And the armor is listed at 25-350mm for both in the survivability tab.

Huh I took the info straight from the expanded survivability armor tab of both ships so it seems they changed it. Maybe just a difference on paper then any real armor change in the update.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

So.

So far I'm wandering down the US tree. I get Destroyers, sure, my Wickers usually gets a kill or two with the old "set random people on fire, broadside torpedo" tactic that usually resolves to "vomit torpedoes towards enemy, suddenly happen across ship around an island and broadside like some age of sail poo poo" but whatev

But the St. Louis

I'm not doing well there!! It's supposed to be a good ship, all the guns, I get that I snooped around some. But I'm not doing much damage, despite hitting. I'm apparently not supposed to use AP as it'd only wreck Japanese cruisers, but even switching to it every now and then it's about as effective as my HE shots are. Which is not very. Is there a secret to gunnery that I'm not getting? I occasionally take a bunch of chip damage, too, but then sometimes I lose half my health and etc.

how do i gun

Hitting the superstructure (the poo poo above the hull) does a bunch of damage with HE. I think in a lot of cases the front and back sections of a ship have less armor too. I'm also a bad, but I do pretty well with the St. Louis.

You also completely gently caress up destroyers because you have an 8 shell broadside that's really hard to dodge completely.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

So.

But the St. Louis

how do i gun

Go into settings, controls tab, and at the bottom middle is a box called "Detailed ribbons and damage indicator". Turn it on, and instead of getting hit ribbons you get either penetration, no penetration, overpenetration or deflected ribbons. Now, whenever you shoot someone, see what ribbons you get. If you get penetrations (the one with the red stripe), awesome. If you get the others, adjust your aim.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

In case anyone was wondering, I just tested and killing friendly bots does not give credit for the bot-killing achievement.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

MadJackMcJack posted:

Go into settings, controls tab, and at the bottom middle is a box called "Detailed ribbons and damage indicator". Turn it on, and instead of getting hit ribbons you get either penetration, no penetration, overpenetration or deflected ribbons. Now, whenever you shoot someone, see what ribbons you get. If you get penetrations (the one with the red stripe), awesome. If you get the others, adjust your aim.

Though that is buggy as well or was at least before the update. Sometimes you get like 4k hits with one overpen ribbon that can only possible do 1k and other times you get a pen registered but do no damage.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Four days in a row of +80% win rate has finally come back to bite me, as the RNG has taken a massive dump over everything attempted today, up to and including hitting a broadside Nurnberg with 4 Colorado shells and getting 4 overpens.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

NTRabbit posted:

Four days in a row of +80% win rate has finally come back to bite me, as the RNG has taken a massive dump over everything attempted today, up to and including hitting a broadside Nurnberg with 4 Colorado shells and getting 4 overpens.

I feel you. My Colorado games lately have been miserable. Just the worst teams and the worst luck all rolled up into one big poo poo sandwich. Took me 6 games yesterday to finish the daily.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ranbo das posted:

Before you respond to Chill la Chill, just know they're an uber weeb who has a Poe Dameron anime body pillow, so basically the target audience for all this anime stuff.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Night10194 posted:

Back when I played actively, I used to read the forums a little for a laugh. There's an entire community of the little bastards who post their 'amazing' Co-Op mode replays of their heroic anime bote killing tons of bots and pat each other on the back for it.

There was also an idiotic (and hilarious) thread where the posters very seriously discussed how it was a tragedy the US never built a nuclear powered BB and suggested we both should, and should arm it with only 12 inch guns for 'faster fire rate'.

When railguns and ship born laser weapons become something that is easier to use, I expect that we will be seeing bigger "gun" platform ships again, even nuclear powered ones.

The thing is, this will only be because railguns and lasers draw an incredible amount of power. The days of armored ships are over. Instead stealth and superior engagement range will be your fleet protection doctrine.

I mean, frankly speaking, there is no armor system in the world, real or imagined, that can "protect" a ship when a 50 pound solid tungsten slug, traveling at mach 6, slams into it.

Mods

Best mod packs? I've been using Aslain's WoW modpack, but it does not seem to contain anything anywhere close to as useful as what's in the WoT modpack.

Blindeye posted:

I think this term is misused in warships. It doesn't just mean horizontal deck armoring. It means internal armor layered underneath horizontal armoring and belt armoring over vital systems.

Such armor was designed to prevent plunging fire from passing horizontally or vertically into the extra protected space.

In other words, it gives super important spaces extra protection against direct hits and against hits in less vital areas passing through the ship into vital areas.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 8, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Some royally hot naval information for you

Here's a supertester in a brand new tier 6 Leander

Here's a view from the other side, looking good

And here's a view of it hiding inside it's own smoke :eyepop:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a place where people are compiling what the birthday achievements mean and how to get them? I checked the forums this morning and didn't see anything.

I've gotten a few, and "You did it!" isn't a particularly helpful description.

EDIT: Never mind, I'm blind and checked the wrong forum.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Queue jumping is, I think, literally for queuing for battle

A shot in the dark is for hitting something that is not visible at the tie of impact.

That's all I've figured out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ranbo das posted:

:swoon:

I'm just glad this game has a neat optional anime set of ships and I think they are very cute. The stug 3 would've been nice to have in WOT:

my sig is proof of my uberweeb status but that only shows up in byob.