Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Pinterest Mom posted:

I played one round of town of salem and then quit

Yeah, that sure was...something.

If there was a way to play with...players, it would be nice and fun, but...:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
this conversation has been great because now i think i've caught up on all the name changes.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

busb posted:

Rip diqnol, no longer a good poster...

yes

no longer

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

birdstrike I say this without any hint of irony: you've never made a good post.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hate town of salem!!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

PBS Newshour posted:

I hate town of salem!!

You were the first person who recommended it!!!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Trip report: I rolled Godfather, and my Framer actually knew how to play. That was nice.

It got down to 4 with one VT and one SK. We begged the VT to at least help us lynch the SK.

Nope.

Her death note was, "Why didn't you guys just lynch me and then kill the SK overnight?"

BECAUSE THAT IS HOW WE KNEW HE fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Propaganda Machine posted:

You were the first person who recommended it!!!

This never happened.

I may had link it and said look at this thing that has a small amount of potential but most likely will be shityy!!!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asii I bought the soundtrack and listened to it start to finish, just ended. Hate Jeffersons writing but otherwise it was really loving good, burr was the true star of the show

I might actually buy tickets to a show, it's crazy

You were right

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Spiros posted:

birdstrike I say this without any hint of irony: you've never made a good post.

good to know

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Spiros is well known for his use of irony in the mafia community, you never know if that fella is being completely straight with you.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
So uh, who is actually doing Votefinder maintenance? Twelvebaud at this point?

Or do we need to post here to get Ecco to send a telegram to JoseV telling him to send a carrier pigeon to chili to tell him to PM soru, like in the old days.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
We've evolved beyond votefinder sorry you are so far behind

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

So uh, who is actually doing Votefinder maintenance? Twelvebaud at this point?

Or do we need to post here to get Ecco to send a telegram to JoseV telling him to send a carrier pigeon to chili to tell him to PM soru, like in the old days.

MMM owns it at this point, theoretically, but he can also ask Flying Leatherman for help. I don't want to spam MMM since he's already obviously aware of the issue, so it' sjust a waiting game at this point. :smith:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the longer we go without votefinder the more I prefer it this way tbh.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kashuno posted:

i disagree u fucklord

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i am currently learning python so once i get decent at it i can take a stab at VF as well if it needs some TLC

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Propaganda Machine posted:

But I am in fact looking forward to effort++ murder mystery, since I've never gotten to do one of those before.

I was real sad when I bought a murder mystery and found out it had way too much of an audio component to be playable. :smith:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
today is r u ok? day in australia

so guys

¿ʞO ∩ ɹ

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kumbamontu posted:

i am currently learning python so once i get decent at it i can take a stab at VF as well if it needs some TLC

same

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

today is r u ok? day in australia

so guys

¿ʞO ∩ ɹ

ya cuz im not in austrailia

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Podima posted:

i disagree u fucklord

Nah I honestly like it more. Without constantly being able to easily check votes, I think players are more likely to vote without regard to the current vote count and that's a good thing imo

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

takin actual classes for your degree for it? i'm just doing the MIT education exchange thing online for free, first course i've taken with it and it seems pretty legit so far

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kumbamontu posted:

takin actual classes for your degree for it? i'm just doing the MIT education exchange thing online for free, first course i've taken with it and it seems pretty legit so far

As part of my college coursework

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Spiros posted:

Asii I bought the soundtrack and listened to it start to finish, just ended. Hate Jeffersons writing but otherwise it was really loving good, burr was the true star of the show

I might actually buy tickets to a show, it's crazy

You were right

Memes aside, I'm glad another person actually listened to it and enjoyed it. It's nice when other people like what you like.

As for Jefferson, I know of Jefferson via various sources although obviously didn't learn about him in school so didn't have a really strong picture of what he was like personally or his philosophies. I understand it's Hamilton's story though and as the main antagonist of Act II they'll play up some aspects. Watching the guy playing Jefferson (originally Daveed Diggs and now it varies although Andrew Chappelle is extremely good I hear) he struts around and is grinning most of the time acting basically super arrogant and privileged while still being charming and you can see his side of things (like realistically Jefferson makes the better argument in Cabinet Battle #2), so I liked that character.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This week is such a good week. We have removed 3 execs I don't care about this week, and it has scared everyone into doing their loving job and has finally got a project I have been waiting to complete for four months moving through other departments so I can stop having that hanging over my head. Good. loving. Week.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kashuno posted:

:getin:

Podima posted:

i disagree u fucklord

:frogout:

here is my helpful guide for hand-counting votes again:

EccoRaven posted:

Did You Know That: not only did people play mafia for years while manually counting votes, but it was also (perhaps not coincidentally) its most robust period ever?

=====

Tips for counting votes in a post-votebot world:

1) Get your players to ##unvote consistently. You'll save yourself a lot of headaches knowing you need to look for a changed vote rather than a fresh one.

2) Day 1 is going to be awful. Grin and bear it, it builds character.
--- Corollary: if Days 2 and more are as bad as Day 1, your town is going to lose quite pathetically. Prepare yourself emotionally for having run a mediocre game.

3) Get your players to manually count the votes for you! If you can, Tom Sawyer them into it. If you can't, offer them rewards like "50% chance same-night BP" (or some similar token). The rewards can be a total lie if you want, who cares, players sure don't.

4) Use SALR (it is anno domini nostri Iesu Christi 2016 you should be using SALR). When you count the votes, don't do any formatting: just puretext <name> and -<name>. Then skim through and bold active votes and italicize unvotes. Then in the SALR preview window hand count the bolds for each candidate, and there you go.

5) As a player, get into the habit of removing the second hashtag from quoted votes and unvotes; your mod will notice and will appreciate it immensely.

6) You will make mistakes occasionally. It's ok! It rarely actually matters.

7) It's really not so bad once you get the hang of it. After Day 1 it should only take 3-5 minutes at most, and I mean you SHOULD be willing to sacrifice the occasional few minutes of your life for the game you're running ANYWAY. If you're not, then you probably shouldn't be running games in the first place.

new corollaries for Fall 2016:
- Keep the format generally "Votecount" at the top, followed by a list of voted players immediately followed by a number indicating the total votes for them, then have the list of players voting for that initial player. At the bottom of the count include the extraneous details, like how many are alive and needed to execute, and when is the deadline. Too much information in the body of the count clutters the count and makes it harder to see what's happening.

- Remember that you are using text, so keep formatting to a minimum and use it wisely. Bold only the most important things, Underline what's important but not as important as things that must be bolded, Italicize things that are good to know, and leave everything else as plaintext.
--- I prefer bolding active votes, italicizing inactive votes, and underlining the word "Votecount." Some player prefer bolding the player being voted, but I find their position at the start of a line on a list gives them enough importance without needing to bring any formatting for them at all.

- Use helpful little images if you can, since again text can be kinda boring. I use four card suits: :c: for a votecount, :h: for how many alive/dead, :d: for a deadline, and :s: for flips of dead players. I like to think this makes skimming my post history easier to do since e.g. if you want news about the deadline just look for the :d:.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 8, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Hand counting votes is stupid and annoying.

Having an easy record of people's votes is great.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I too hate it when someone fixes a problem with an automation that simplifies a mundane tedious task

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
god drat millennials and their drat fangled "make everything easier" attitude

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Cellphones are the loving worst!!!! **begins tapping out morse code on my telegraph**

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
k

Asiina posted:

easy records are nice, something I do genuinely really like about votebot is how one can format it so it puts links to people's votes and unvotes in the count itself, which is not at all easy to do by hand and was essentially never done until soru coded it.

However again people played the game without it for a very long time and it wasn't the end of the world; quite the contrary.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Asiina posted:

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

However again people played the game without it for a very long time and it wasn't the end of the world; quite the contrary.

This point makes no sense. People used to travel without automobiles for a very long time and it wasn't the end of the world

people lived without internet for a very long time and it wasn't the end of the world

people lived without electricity for very long time and it wasn't the end of the world

Just because things used to be a certain way and people were fine with it doesn't mean that people would still be happy with it if those things went awy

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The wonderful thing about VF vs. Hand counting is that it's entirely optional and the mod can do whatever they want!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

k

easy records are nice, something I do genuinely really like about votebot is how one can format it so it puts links to people's votes and unvotes in the count itself, which is not at all easy to do by hand and was essentially never done until soru coded it.

People lived without indoor plumbing for a very long time too. That doesn't make it better.

Stop fetishizing the past.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Retro Futurist posted:

The wonderful thing about VF vs. Hand counting is that it's entirely optional and the mod can do whatever they want!

except when votefinder is broken, so it's helpful to have say helpful tips on counting votes by hand produced by someone who still does it that way for whatever reason.

Asiina posted:

People lived without indoor plumbing for a very long time too. That doesn't make it better.
spending 3 to 5 minutes of your life compiling a votecount really is like living squalid in your own filth and dying of dysentery, you're right, this is a very appropriate comparison, shame on me.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

spending 3 to 5 minutes of your life compiling a votecount really is like living squalid in your own filth and dying of dysentery, you're right, this is a very appropriate comparison, shame on me.
It only takes 3-5 minutes of your life to dig a hole to poo poo in

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

JakeP posted:

Ehhh depends on the season and the clay content of the soil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

JakeP posted:

Oooo look at me I'm JakeP and I can afford a shovel.