Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Lol if you think it takes 3-5 mins to dig a poo poo hole in the middle of winter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

EccoRaven posted:

except when votefinder is broken, so it's helpful to have say helpful tips on counting votes by hand produced by someone who still does it that way for whatever reason.

spending 3 to 5 minutes of your life compiling a votecount really is like living squalid in your own filth and dying of dysentery, you're right, this is a very appropriate comparison, shame on me.

It is because your argument boils down to the fact that because this was how something was done in the past that automatically means it has merit or is even better than how it is done now.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

JakeP posted:

It only takes 3-5 minutes of your life to dig a hole to poo poo in

I can still see your posts, so your hole must not have been very deep.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I can still see your posts, so your hole must not have been very deep.

you werent supposed to get in the hole

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Asiina posted:

It is because your argument boils down to the fact that because this was how something was done in the past that automatically means it has merit or is even better than how it is done now.

games where I have forced mods to hand count their votes: 0

games where I have complained to mods that they should hand counted their votes: 0

games where I have said "this would have been a better game, if only the mod hand counted the votes": 0

I choose to hand count my votes while still providing votefinder as a resource when people want it. Literally nobody is affected by my preferences other than me. But in a world where there is no votebot, I am around to tell people it's neither the end of mafia, nor is it totally unworkable - there are lots of things you can learn how to do in this time of privation and austerity that make it quite bearable until votebot comes back.

So please, if you have a problem with my preferences then please just lump it, ok?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I don't mind votefinder but I want to never have it easily accessible for players ever again

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
She just has a problem with the justification you are using to back up why it is your preference because it is a logical falacy

kash's argument for it has merit

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

What if instead of votefinder everybody who ever played mafia was thrown in prison?

I think this is preferable in many ways.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Kashuno posted:

I don't mind votefinder but I want to never have it easily accessible for players ever again

Why? What does it take away for players to know the votecount?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

CCKeane posted:

What if instead of votefinder everybody who ever played mafia was thrown in prison?

I think this is preferable in many ways.

Then one day in the future some dude will come up with a new way to play mafia that doesn't involve being in prison, and ecco can argue that "In my day everyone played mafia by being incarcerated and that worked so..."

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

Why? What does it take away for players to know the votecount?

Players do vote differently when they can't immediately check the current count; they vote more """naturally""" or whatever without considering how their vote is situated in the broader count, which I find slightly helps with a game's "flow." But a lot of these benefits are somewhat insubstantial stuff that others dismiss as either non-existing or outweighed by the utility.

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 8, 2016

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm fine with votefinder or hand counting, since I don't mod games.

Welp that's my two cents, thanks for checking it.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

EccoRaven posted:

Players do vote differently when they can't immediately check the current count; they vote more """naturally""" or whatever without considering how their vote is situated in the broader count, which I find slightly helps with a game's "flow." But a lot of these benefits are somewhat insubstantial stuff that others dismiss as either non-existing or outweighed by the utility.

I guess, as a player, it just seems important to know who is currently voting who and if someone is close to being lynched.

Like I'd be pissed if I voted someone and accidentally put them at -2 and allowed scum to rush the vote or whatever.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

CapitalistPig posted:

I guess, as a player, it just seems important to know who is currently voting who and if someone is close to being lynched.

Like I'd be pissed if I voted someone and accidentally put them at -2 and allowed scum to rush the vote or whatever.

well I'd say in that case be more mindful of your vote - it shouldn't matter so much if you bring someone to -2 if you genuinely thought they were scum and needed to die. I feel like mafia players in general, especially in the (still-existing) votebot era, don't give their votes enough weight. But again this is one of those insubstantial things I talked about above.

something I saw a long time ago on an IRC channel was doing votes only at the end of the day rather than throughout the day - that is, players simply spent the first half of the day posting cases and arguing about them and saying who they would vote for, then posting stopped save for votes over like 30 seconds (IRC, remember), then flip and night. I wonder how something similar would work for forums, ideally with the voting period being quickly enough that it wouldn't induce stagnation.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

well I'd say in that case be more mindful of your vote - it shouldn't matter so much if you bring someone to -2 if you genuinely thought they were scum and needed to die. I feel like mafia players in general, especially in the (still-existing) votebot era, don't give their votes enough weight. But again this is one of those insubstantial things I talked about above.

something I saw a long time ago on an IRC channel was doing votes only at the end of the day rather than throughout the day - that is, players simply spent the first half of the day posting cases and arguing about them and saying who they would vote for, then posting stopped save for votes over like 30 seconds (IRC, remember), then flip and night. I wonder how something similar would work for forums, ideally with the voting period being quickly enough that it wouldn't induce stagnation.

You know, I know I tend to be slower to throw down a vote than most, I wonder if LEARNING THE ROPES in a pre votefinder world contributed.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That argument is also stupid. Just don't put the automatically refreshing one in your OP, if players are as lazy as you claim they won't want to go to the site either

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I'm extremely lazy so I think that

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Retro Futurist posted:

That argument is also stupid. Just don't put the automatically refreshing one in your OP, if players are as lazy as you claim they won't want to go to the site either

:agreed: I may start doing this, unless it causes some major backlash

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Agree to disagree - if the information is there, I see no reason not to make it convenient for players. Introducing inconvenience is a surefire way to turn people off of an internet party game.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Kashuno posted:

:agreed: I may start doing this, unless it causes some major backlash

There will be.

What I do (mostly for aesthetic reasons) is put the image-count in my second post, and provide a little link at the top of my OP to jump to it. This makes people have to click twice, which maybe is enough of a barrier to keep the convenience low (since I hate that as we all know).

Podima posted:

Agree to disagree - if the information is there, I see no reason not to make it convenient for players. Introducing inconvenience is a surefire way to turn people off of an internet party game.

well, I mean I didn't start including votebot information until like 2013 or so, and the main barrier to people joining my games was my caustic personality, not the lack of votebots.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
"if we make information harder to find, then people will want to try harder and read more in our dead forum game that no one plays already" - excellent dead forum game moderators

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Votefinder is a good thing. Hand counting votes is doable but is inferior for multiple reasons. Ecco is a relic from a bygone era and her words are not reflective of the community's opinion, please do not feed the troll !!

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

EccoRaven posted:

people shouldnt care if theyre putting people at -2 but they should care more about their votes - oic

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I like to think of myself as an artisan.

Speaking of artisanal mafia games: I'm opening a game in a few minutes! Watch this space.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think it's time for me to quit mafia

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

when i first joined the mafia community (this sickened me to type), i had huge disdain for old players like kash b/c i thought they were clueless about the game but now im totally convinced otherwise after seeing the magnificant play of other oldtimers like eccoraven and mills and such

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

im doing a thing where i dont call people retard or shithead anymore its gr8

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

MG3 posted:

Wait AA is stuntastic??? Yhat son of a bitch tricked me

i wish i had actually tricked you but no that's not me what mfer is purporting to be the great and mighty stuntastic

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

dongsbot 9000 posted:

when i first joined the mafia community (this sickened me to type), i had huge disdain for old players like kash b/c i thought they were clueless about the game but now im totally convinced otherwise after seeing the magnificant play of other oldtimers like eccoraven and mills and such

Why do you think Kashuno is an old time poster

He's super new 2 me

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Mills was not v good :sun:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ecco gives up artisanal mafia, opens italian eateries in new jersey

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

dongsbot 9000 posted:

im doing a thing where i dont call people retard or shithead anymore its gr8

:love:

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

Spiros posted:

He's super new 2 me

i actually dont care whos factually old or new in terms of years its more so a description of your brain and also whether you type w/ capital letters or not

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Spiros posted:

He's super new 2 me

ya hes been here for like ~1 year?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Stuntastic posted:

i wish i had actually tricked you but no that's not me what mfer is purporting to be the great and mighty stuntastic

how loving much money do you spend on alt accounts/avs/namechanges, god drat

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

i figure your eyes must be twice as strong b/c you dont have ears so it probably hurts extra much to see my mean words on the screen

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

for the record, theres a 100% chance i keep it up and remember to type sarcastically instead of meanly b/c i am well-known for my well-crafted posts that are meticulously planned

i apologise in advance to podima whos eyes i care about and everyone else whos eyes i also care about (make sure you remember to place the sarcasm in the right place)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I hope you are all having a nice day.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

dongsbot 9000 posted:

today is r u ok? day in australia

so guys

¿ʞO ∩ ɹ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

dongsbot 9000 posted:

i actually dont care whos factually old or new in terms of years its more so a description of your brain and also whether you type w/ capital letters or not

:ohdear: