Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Panzeh posted:

He's actually not that good on old school Han, he's worth every point on Rey. He's a 3 point card on anyone but Rey. He's pretty good on an FCS ghost(but the cost.. gunner is also good on an fcs ghost).

Finn is basically costed for Rey. His defensive ability is tailor made for her, almost non-existent for anyone else.

This is OK to me.

Upgrades are on the spectrum of "leave it in the binder" (all but maybe 5 of the astromechs) through "an obvious auto-include on anything that can take it" (autothrusters).
Cards on both extremes don't add anything to the list building part of the game. The stuff in the middle is more fun, like Finn!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

canyoneer posted:

This is OK to me.

Upgrades are on the spectrum of "leave it in the binder" (all but maybe 5 of the astromechs) through "an obvious auto-include on anything that can take it" (autothrusters).
Cards on both extremes don't add anything to the list building part of the game. The stuff in the middle is more fun, like Finn!

See, Finn to me is closer to the 'never leave the binder' side. I think at 3 points he'd be a really interesting choice for a lot of ships and Rey would be pretty fuckin' powerful. I'm okay with Rey being powerful as gently caress. Rey is a ship that has to really be played carefully.

He's not really a mid-tier upgrade. His design kinda reminds me of the Kyle/Jan crews that were obviously meant to work on the others' hwk, though those two are more generally useful.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

For five points he should add a focus. :colbert:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Otisburg posted:

For five points he should add a focus. :colbert:

It would hurt his Rey synergy a lot though. It would make him a bit better on other ships though.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Porsuit Craft: •Ketsuo Onyo (42)
Advanced SLAM (2)
Adrenaline Rush (1)
Rigged Cargo Chute (1)
Burnout Slam (1)

Total: 43/100

You can drop a debris into their deployment zone on the first turn ahahaha

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm just gonna leave this here:

Rey (45)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Finn (5)
Luke Skywalker (7)
Millennium Falcon (TFA) (1)

Poe Dameron (PS9) (33)
Lone Wolf (2)
R5-P9 (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Black One (1)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Drop Luke for Gunner, add Snuggling Compartment and Glitterstim. I loving love the offensive and defensive abilities of that ship. I said earlier that I'd be comfortable jousting a swarm with that, and it's still true.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

ConfusedUs posted:

Drop Luke for Gunner, add Snuggling Compartment and Glitterstim. I loving love the offensive and defensive abilities of that ship. I said earlier that I'd be comfortable jousting a swarm with that, and it's still true.

Alternatively, sharpie a beard onto Luke's card.

Also, since Heroes is distinctively missing a BB-8 crew, I don't think BB-8 as crew with his astromech text, but for four points, would be terribly broken in-faction.

Finn crew needs someone to give him a thumbs up, after all.

Red Hood
Feb 22, 2007

It's too late. You had your chance. And I'm just getting started.
Is this anything? Is Duchess garbage without VI?

EDIT: Fleet Officer seems bad here. Mara Jade Instead? I don't know what to do with the last 20 points after Inquisitor, Lockdown and Archer.

Budget Aces+Budget Support posted:

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Omega Leader" (21)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)

"Duchess" (23)
Adaptability (0)
Adaptive Ailerons (0)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Fleet Officer (3)
Intelligence Agent (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Red Hood fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 7, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ConfusedUs posted:

Man, we should make a snuggling compartment mod. It adds a crew member?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, we should make a snuggling compartment mod. It adds a crew member?

No 2 of them. :v:

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
"Can only equip this upgrade if the [crew] icon is present on your upgrade bar." :v:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
I found a deal for a core set and a couple expansions, wondering if it is worth it. I have no collection at all but this game looks pretty fun.

Original Core Set, Xwing expac, ywing expac, tie advanced expac. My only hesitation is a vague memory of the xwing and tie advanced not really being all that useful.

goodness fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Sep 7, 2016

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
That's $85 retail, so closer to 65% off.

I'm going to refrain from commenting, since I still fly mostly X-wings.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

goodness posted:

My only hesitation is a vague memory of the xwing and tie advanced not really being all that useful.

Don't let Strobe hear you say that.

The TIE Advanced needs the special title from the Imperial Raider (unless you're in a tournament nobody cares if you just print the card off) and then it becomes amazing

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Strobe posted:

"Can only equip this upgrade if the [crew] icon is present on your upgrade bar." :v:

"Cannot equip Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia upgrades at same time"

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Well hopefully I'll be a new player soon then.

Do any of you play on vassal?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

goodness posted:

I found a deal for a core set and a couple expansions, wondering if it is worth it. I have no collection at all but this game looks pretty fun.

Original Core Set, Xwing expac, ywing expac, tie advanced expac. For $30 which is 50% off? My only hesitation is a vague memory of the xwing and tie advanced not really being all that useful.

The advice is "buy whatever looks fun" unless you want to jump right into chasing meta and tournaments. All of those are fun.
If you're just playing with your buds, you definitely need the ship but you can proxy all the other upgrades. You can also proxy pilots too, but it's a little bit of a pain due to the cardboard token.

Original Core Set has R2-D2, which is one of the few upgrades that allows you to recover shields. It shows up in a number of lists.
Also has Biggs, the most frequently used X Wing pilot, even in top tier lists. If there's an X Wing in a list, it's probably Biggs.
And the 2 Tie Fighters are the cheapest points wise ships in the game, and can be flown to great effect in swarms. If you were building a TIE swarm, you'd want 6 or more of these little guys so the core set is a cheap way to get two at once.
X-Wing Expansion has Wedge Antilles, the #1 X Wing pilot not named Biggs Darklighter.
Tie Advanced has Darth Vader, which still sees a lot of play (though he's always loaded up with upgrades from a $100 "Epic" ship, the Imperial Raider)
Rebel Y Wing is the core to the "stressbot" ship, which uses upgrades found in 3 different ships as well.

If you were buying stuff from scratch, I'd say save the X Wing expansion pack for later, but buy the whole lot for $30 because

Strobe posted:

That's $85 retail, so closer to 65% off.

I'm going to refrain from commenting, since I still fly mostly X-wings.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Gonna SLAM my beelzebus garbage trucks :2fast:

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Do we want to get the TTS league going again? Is there anything the thread can do to help out? Sounded like Strobe was inundated with IRL responsibilities. Should we tabulate results and get a season 2 going?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

If Season 2 starts up I'd like to throw my name into the hat of potential goons who would like to play but ultimately probably end up causing big delays but will apologies profusely in order to not get booted out and will remind everyone to fly casual during his make up games.

Seriously though, maybe a shorter season will help somehow?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I'm willing to try running it if it's too much for Strobe. I'd suggest we just group up based on time zone initially and maybe do Swiss? After we figure out the best players they can cross time zones for the playoffs?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
We got through 8 weeks of games, with some people (like... four of them) at 9 games played. overdesigned won, hands down, with a perfect record of 8-0 (technically 9-0).

On win percentage, Talas, Herux, General Battuta, and I were next at 5-3 (yeah, the gulf was pretty big after overdesigned; Battuta was technically 6-3). Battuta blew the poo poo out of all of us with 1135 (1308 counting his sixth) MOV. I technically got third with 1019 MOV. Talas had 1018. No, I'm not making GBS threads you. Herux had an MOV of 970.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Finster Dexter posted:

Do we want to get the TTS league going again? Is there anything the thread can do to help out? Sounded like Strobe was inundated with IRL responsibilities. Should we tabulate results and get a season 2 going?

I'm up if you use vassal.

So I ended up getting the NEW core box, tie fighter ex, and rebel aces ex. For $30. Kind of bummed it's not the original core set. How does this deal look compared to what it was before (old core, tie advanced, ywing, Xwing)

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Better.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Significantly.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
T-70s may not be the best ship to fly, though they're solid tier-2 at the moment, but damned if they aren't the most fun. I love T-70s. Really hope the pilots (and tech) that are coming are worthwhile.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So long as you're up against normal kinds of opposing lists Poe Dameron and to a lesser extent Red Ace/Ello Asty are great pilots.

Helion
Apr 28, 2008
Looking at tourney vids, it appears that larger ships have an extremely strong presence in the game. Is this true? Do you ever see the smaller ships in anything outside of palpatine ace lists and the like?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I went from long term unemployed to employed recently, and after getting ahead of my bills. I just congratulated myself by ordering a Ghost and Inquisitor's TIE to add to the TFA starter I got in the TG secret santa because Star Wars Rebels is rad, that's my X-Wang story

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Strobe posted:

Significantly.

Sweet. Just played the tutorial with my gf and it went really well. She doesn't care about star wars or nerdy poo poo at all so it was great, had a nice moment. 10/10

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Helion posted:

Looking at tourney vids, it appears that larger ships have an extremely strong presence in the game. Is this true? Do you ever see the smaller ships in anything outside of palpatine ace lists and the like?

Right now the meta is pretty dominated by large ships. This swings back and forth. Before wave 8, in wave 7, you pretty rarely saw large ships on the table (other than Palpatine-shuttles).

You definitely see smaller ships that aren't imperial aces on the table, though, even in tournament settings.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 8, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Geisladisk posted:

Right now the meta is pretty dominated by large ships. This swings back and forth. Before wave 8, in wave 7, you pretty rarely saw large ships on the table (other than Palpatine-shuttles).

You definitely see smaller ships that aren't imperial aces on the table, though, even in tournament settings.

Yup. Crack swarms in particular, but also /x7s.

Wave 9 meta is shaping up to have a bunch more small ships in though.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Man, I played my first game in the local championship and lost :(

Guy flew symmetrical standard brobots, and walloped my Ghost/Kanan list. Biggs didn't even make it 3 turns, thanks to crack shot.
I feel like my chances going into that against a similarly skilled player were like 30/70 win vs. loss, but this guy was really good and so I struggled. Highlights include a range 1 unmodified roll from the Ghost against a brobot with an evade token.
I rolled naturally 3 hits and 2 crits.
He rolled 3 natural evades, so the one uncanceled crit went against a shield :suicide:

I've got another game to play against him, and I think if i choose my own brobot list I'm gonna lose anyway.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I was talking about this at my local shop last weekend. I think Brobots have one of the best matchups against Kanan/Biggs lists. Autothrusters, 3 evade dice, glitterstim, big accurate attacks, crack shot, enough health to survive some bad rolls.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

canyoneer posted:

Man, I played my first game in the local championship and lost :(

Guy flew symmetrical standard brobots, and walloped my Ghost/Kanan list. Biggs didn't even make it 3 turns, thanks to crack shot.
I feel like my chances going into that against a similarly skilled player were like 30/70 win vs. loss, but this guy was really good and so I struggled. Highlights include a range 1 unmodified roll from the Ghost against a brobot with an evade token.
I rolled naturally 3 hits and 2 crits.
He rolled 3 natural evades, so the one uncanceled crit went against a shield :suicide:

I've got another game to play against him, and I think if i choose my own brobot list I'm gonna lose anyway.

Brobots murder Biggles. you can expect HLC brobots to get 4 hits against him twice a round. He dies quick. You have to kill them quick to make up for it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Agree on all counts.
The brobot player is incentivized to dump all the crack shot on Biggs right up front, because once Biggs is gone that list is probably never rolling a green die again.
The real heartbreaker was that I double stressed a bot with Tactician out the rear arc, but we were heading opposite directions so I couldn't get wheeled around to capitalize on it and kill him. He just scooted safely away and came back 3 turns later.

I got one to 1 hull, and the other lost all his shields.

I always like to use brobots as a benchmark for any list, because they are so ubiquitous and are really effective against almost everything. My next game against this dude I may use my brobots list instead, though I doubt I'll be able to beat him if he's also using brobots

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Brobots with HLC are the best reason to run R4-D6. gently caress your Crack Shot, it's getting cancelled down to two anyway.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Strobe posted:

Brobots with HLC are the best reason to run R4-D6. gently caress your Crack Shot, it's getting cancelled down to two anyway.

Had that. Instead of needing to shoot twice, they needed to shoot thrice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I casually played a Wedge/Biggs/Etahn list against a Deci Palp/Mara with PTL Soontir and an Academy TIE.

Soontir actually died first, with Etahns ability dumping crits on him, but some bad dice rolls I lost Wedge and Biggs, leaving Etahn to handle the Deci and Academy TIE. Got the Deci within 1 HP and also the TIE down to 2 HP before Etahn got some blank dice rolls.

Had fun with the list and it was the second time I flew it - I don't think I'd ever use it competitively against others.

• Locked thread