Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

As far as movie fights go that was loving cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

After years of combatives, pugil sticks, and bayonet drill, I just know I'd get my rear end handed to me if I had to fight anyone who wasn't taught the same way. I know this because you can see the results lying on the sidewalk at 3am in any army town.

e: I'd kind of like to see fencers or hockey players fight people outside of their style too.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Frosted Flake posted:

How are the "military" martial arts like Sambo, Krav Maga, Army Combatives, MCMAP?

When I did my Army Combatives certification, they told me it was good enough training to kill a malnourished peasant, or get your rear end kicked in a bar fight.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

After years of combatives, pugil sticks, and bayonet drill, I just know I'd get my rear end handed to me if I had to fight anyone who wasn't taught the same way. I know this because you can see the results lying on the sidewalk at 3am in any army town.

e: I'd kind of like to see fencers or hockey players fight people outside of their style too.

Fencing and kendo really aren't martial arts though, since a lot of how you succeed in fencing would get you killed in real fights or simply wouldn't work with historical swords. The footwork and conditioning are pretty applicable to other things, like historical styles, but even then it's probably better to not try leaning on your fencing training if some drunk takes a swing at you.

If videos and occasional news stories are anything to go by, combat sport practitioners, especially those at higher levels, seem to have a better time dealing with these situations than most niche styles. I imagine it's probably because of the emphasis on sparring and learning the basics. Still probably better to avoid getting into fights in the first place.

As for hockey players, I've met a few that could take some pretty big hits and still get up. Not sure how helpful that would be, but being tough can't hurt in that situation.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was a local tiny Asian girl running her parents produce store in Surrey who was on the bad end of a robbery. She beat the dude into submission with a ruler stick. She was some sort of fencing champion.

Tried to find a news article for proof but all I get are all these "god drat chickens on my land!" Forum post results.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neurolimal posted:

Does anyone have that story about the last olympic marathon before steroids became commonplace, IIRC the ending was "these guys collapsed from exhaustion a quarter-way through, one poo poo himself before almost dying, this guy won because he jogged half the way then took a cab to the finish line"

but that wasn't bc they didn't have steroids, that was because the events were so loving disorganized that no one even knew what the race route was and I'm pretty sure most of the ACTUAL athletes never even made it to the event so it was just whoever wanted to fill in could fill in with predictably bad results

one dude just took a nap in the middle of the race iirc

e: found you the wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Summer_Olympics#Highlights

quote:

A Cuban postman named Felix Carbajal joined the marathon, arriving at the last minute. He had to run in street clothes that he cut around the legs to make them look like shorts. He stopped off in an orchard en route to have a snack on some apples which turned out to be rotten. The rotten apples caused him to have to lie down and take a nap. Despite falling ill from the apples, he finished in fourth place.[5][6]

quote:

Len Tau finished ninth and Yamasani came in twelfth. This was a disappointment, as many observers were sure Len Tau could have done better if he had not been chased nearly a mile off course by aggressive dogs.[4]

quote:

The marathon was the most bizarre event of the Games. It was run in brutally hot weather, over dusty roads, with horses and automobiles clearing the way and creating dust clouds.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 8, 2016

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
ronda rousey never lost, the fight was rigged by the cia as revenge for her exposing the sandy hook false flag operation #askquestions

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Moridin920 posted:

but that wasn't bc they didn't have steroids, that was because the events were so loving disorganized that no one even knew what the race route was and I'm pretty sure most of the ACTUAL athletes never even made it to the event so it was just whoever wanted to fill in could fill in with predictably bad results

e: found you the wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1904_Summer_Olympics#Highlights

Also the winner was doping on rat poison and bourbon. There was never not an olympic summer games where "steroids/enhancement drugs" were not used.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

How are the "military" martial arts like Sambo, Krav Maga, Army Combatives, MCMAP?

sambo was the base for the greatest fighter ever in the history of the universe

so, yeah

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Frosted Flake posted:

These (like any other martial art) are really subject to the practitioner more than the actual martial art itself.

Like for example I bet you an Israeli spec ops soldier could absolutely gently caress your day up with Krav Maga. The Los Angeles yuppies taking it because it is the new hotness (or was at least)? Probably no good in a real fight.

A looot of the training comes down to "what is your twitch reaction" and overcoming the stupid animal in you because if poo poo goes down and in that half second you cringe and wince and hesitate and then have to think about every action you do then you're hosed but a trained soldier/fighter *should* be able to just go into autopilot muscle memory fight mode instead.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 8, 2016

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you
this thread just made me realize bloodsport's finale portrays a deadly showdown between a ninjutsu and a taekwondo practitioner instead of the muay thai guy just leaving them both as brain damaged piles of hamburger

somehow we were expected to believe this was based on a true story

Robot Pride
Aug 2, 2010

by exmarx

Neurolimal posted:

Does anyone have that story about the last olympic marathon before steroids became commonplace, IIRC the ending was "these guys collapsed from exhaustion a quarter-way through, one poo poo himself before almost dying, this guy won because he jogged half the way then took a cab to the finish line"

not saying roid jokes arent funny, just that these fights would last like 20 seconds if they werent ruining their bodies, humans are kinda pathetic when not using our advantage (branes)

rezatahs posted:

everyone knows if want to compete in high endurance sports you got to juice it up

just look at any modern competitive marathon runner and tell me they aren't juiced to the loving gills

these comments are so dumb that i doubt you can feed yourselves safely

i wrestled in high school and some in college and never took steroids and also did a bit of ultramarathon and my military combat (line) training, etc

you see the person in the uniform that meets marathon runners at the finish line in the olympics?? yeah, that person is not allowed to let the runner leave their sight once finishing till they watch them produce a urine sample and then it is run through a full panel....2 hour marathons can be legitimate but if you need more reasons to rationalize your sedentary lifestyles then go ahead but at least be honest about it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Steroids, like regular common steroids, mostly just boost your recovery and muscle synthethis and wouldn't really be helfpul with endurance

Now, poo poo like EPO and blood doping though, I hesitate to call steroids because it is just loving mad blood magic tbh

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Mike Tyson is my favorite fighter of all time and Fedor is my fav MMA fighter of all time. Second being Andrei Arlovski.

The Fedor vs Arlovski fight was pretty amazing although somewhat short. Arlovski was the dominant fighter, Fedor was the emotionless patient chessmaster that he's always been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LazsV89qHI

Edit: Sambo talk, Fedor was the #1 combat sambo guy in the world I believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W81APUPoZAo

jonathan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 8, 2016

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fire Barrel posted:

As for hockey players, I've met a few that could take some pretty big hits and still get up. Not sure how helpful that would be, but being tough can't hurt in that situation.

Hockey players who are good at "hockey fighting" are usually pretty good in regular bar fights since thats what a hockey fight is. Just beat on someone until they fall down and wait for someone to pull you off. Pulling someone's shirt over their head and upercutting them is a tried and true bar fight tradition as is the ol' grab shirt and throw haymakers. In a pro-tier MMA type fight they would get wrecked like all the other "bar tough" guys that try their hand at MMA.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jonathan posted:

Mike Tyson is my favorite fighter of all time and Fedor is my fav MMA fighter of all time. Second being Andrei Arlovski.

The Fedor vs Arlovski fight was pretty amazing although somewhat short. Arlovski was the dominant fighter, Fedor was the emotionless patient chessmaster that he's always been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LazsV89qHI

I loved that fight because it's as close to a Tekken air juggle that we're gonna get in fight sports.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Sambo has two variants, Combat Sambo, which is like MMA with a jacket and allows headbutts and Sport Sambo, which is like Judo with permission to attack the legs. I'm actually just back from a three day grappling camp given by a US Sambo national champion that has just won the pan-ams.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The moment Fedor started fighting not cherry picked heavyweights he started looking like poo poo. He got owned by all the good ones (and Dan Henderson, who is a middleweight) and was last seen getting almost killed by Homer Simpson before the corrupt judges gave him a BS win

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

The modern Olympic games started out as elaborate vaudeville acts, heralding in the golden age of silent film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4AIoMC3XYk&t=3694s

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

pretty soft girl posted:

instead of the muay thai guy just leaving them both as brain damaged piles of hamburger

if this is the main thing ruining Bloodsport for you then you would definitely enjoy the perennially overlooked Jean Claude Van Damme masterpiece film The Quest

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zzulu posted:

The moment Fedor started fighting not cherry picked heavyweights he started looking like poo poo. He got owned by all the good ones (and Dan Henderson, who is a middleweight) and was last seen getting almost killed by Homer Simpson before the corrupt judges gave him a BS win

He only has 4 losses and he was matched up against the best of pride and the best of the UFC. In his late 20's and early 30's the only opponents he wasnt tested with were guys under contract with the ufc. Dana talked some passive aggressive poo poo about him back then, but now that he is passed his prime, Dana always says how tough and strong willed the guy is.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at his contract negotiations in Pride after he won the belt because I don't think there will ever be another time where russian and japanese mobsters try to gently caress each other over while communicating by translator in a nice conference room with all the amenities, flashing the occasional forced polite smile

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

jonathan posted:

He only has 4 losses and he was matched up against the best of pride and the best of the UFC. In his late 20's and early 30's the only opponents he wasnt tested with were guys under contract with the ufc. Dana talked some passive aggressive poo poo about him back then, but now that he is passed his prime, Dana always says how tough and strong willed the guy is.

cough cough JOSH BARNETT cough OVEREEM a-hem

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

jonathan posted:

in the last 10 years the only notable win are his wins against Arlovski and Tim Sylvia and neither of those guys are particularly good. As for age, he was knocked out cold by Dan Henderson who is older

He was the best HW in the Pride era, that's it

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

proof of concept posted:

sambo was the base for the greatest fighter ever in the history of the universe

That family gave us some classic footage

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hockey players who are good at "hockey fighting" are usually pretty good in regular bar fights since thats what a hockey fight is. Just beat on someone until they fall down and wait for someone to pull you off. Pulling someone's shirt over their head and upercutting them is a tried and true bar fight tradition as is the ol' grab shirt and throw haymakers. In a pro-tier MMA type fight they would get wrecked like all the other "bar tough" guys that try their hand at MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeewMGsDZls

This one Kazakh guy took out every Chinese player on the ice then tried to fight the entire bench. As long as both combatants had to wear skates and they could do the jersey pull, I'd watch this guy in a MMA fight.

In hockey fight news, Buffalo had a goon in the 80s/90s named Rob Ray, he wore a jersey three sizes bigger than he needed specifically to worm out of the ol' 'pull the jersey over their head' maneuver.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Moridin920 posted:

you mean I can gorge on apples, take a nap, and still be an Olympic athlete?

sign me the gently caress up

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeewMGsDZls

This one Kazakh guy took out every Chinese player on the ice then tried to fight the entire bench. As long as both combatants had to wear skates and they could do the jersey pull, I'd watch this guy in a MMA fight.

In hockey fight news, Buffalo had a goon in the 80s/90s named Rob Ray, he wore a jersey three sizes bigger than he needed specifically to worm out of the ol' 'pull the jersey over their head' maneuver.

watch this fight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZS2SVOWRm6g
if you've never seen it then you don't know it yet but it's actually your favorite mma fight of all time

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

proof of concept posted:

watch this fight
if you've never seen it then you don't know it yet but it's actually your favorite mma fight of all time

Wow, that's certainly... wow.

Did both those guys have a 'gently caress it, I'm not blocking ever' style or something?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Don Frye is easily my favorite old school MMA fighter. He looks like Mike Haggar from Final Fight.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

proof of concept posted:

watch this fight

I like the aussie man break down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb-ZR9DMEcY&t=5s

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

proof of concept posted:

watch this fight

That's amazing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

LadyPictureShow posted:

Did both those guys have a 'gently caress it, I'm not blocking ever' style or something?

Not really, it was just a magical moment of two trashy fighters deciding to make a stand

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wikkheiser posted:

you mean I can gorge on apples, take a nap, and still be an Olympic athlete?

sign me the gently caress up

4th place man

in the world

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Did you call Don Frye trashy. Fight me.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Robot Pride posted:

these comments are so dumb that i doubt you can feed yourselves safely

i wrestled in high school and some in college and never took steroids and also did a bit of ultramarathon and my military combat (line) training, etc

you see the person in the uniform that meets marathon runners at the finish line in the olympics?? yeah, that person is not allowed to let the runner leave their sight once finishing till they watch them produce a urine sample and then it is run through a full panel....2 hour marathons can be legitimate but if you need more reasons to rationalize your sedentary lifestyles then go ahead but at least be honest about it

I was going to ask if you seriously are saying that there isn't steroid use in the Olympics then I remembered you are the "Crossfit is the most superior form of training" guy and answered my own question

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He was the good kind of trashy though

Last I saw of him he was getting drunk as gently caress getting knocked out by random dudes outside of bars. :911:

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

LadyPictureShow posted:

It's a red blooded all-American true blue toughman vs a Japanese professional wrestler with no real fight training

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

He was the good kind of trashy though

Last I saw of him he was getting drunk as gently caress getting knocked out by random dudes outside of bars. :911:

I think it's important for people to know that he DID NOT shave his mustache, and that the picture of him without one was a hoax
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/the-truth-about-don-frye-shaving-his-mustache

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

jonathan posted:

There was a local tiny Asian girl running her parents produce store in Surrey who was on the bad end of a robbery. She beat the dude into submission with a ruler stick. She was some sort of fencing champion.

Tried to find a news article for proof but all I get are all these "god drat chickens on my land!" Forum post results.

I don't doubt it. Competitive sport fencers are in really good shape and have good grasps on things like timing and even aiming one's strikes while being pressed. Probably overwhelmed the robber. That said, the specific skills related to fencing probably weren't super helpful, since it's more like a big game of tag than a martial art/combat sport. One with deeper principles thrown in the mix, alongside learning how to game the rules of your particular "weapon," but tag nonetheless. The conditioning and fundamentals, like those regarding distance and tempo, would probably help though. And being use to aiming strikes might be a side effect of fencing. It's still worth learning, though, since it's a funway to get into shape and provides a solid base if you're a dweeb interested in getting into HEMA.

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's a good point and probably applicable to the hockey guys I know. Most participants in bar fights probably aren't going to be high level practitioners of any combat sport/martial art. Likely just going to be drunks taking swings at each other.

Also, Frye vs. Takayama is some top tier poo poo from Pride. Such a fun fight to watch.

• Locked thread