Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Polo-Rican posted:

What's the most effective weapon loadout for Vultures? I put this game down for a year or so - back then, pulse lasers were king and I was unstoppable in my Vulture. But now, a year later, something has changed because I'm not very effective at combat anymore and getting blown up a lot!

One thing that definitely changed are subsystems... previously, if you targeting the "power plant" subsystem was stupidly OP because enemy ships would instantly explode when the power plant died. So even if you couldn't deal good hull damage, you could still take out pythons and stuff pretty easily. Are any of the subsystems really worth targeting in the newest version?

Im running dual gimbal large beams with "less heat when you hit" enchantment from the dweller and a reactor upgrade from... the reactor upgrade lady.
Its pretty stupid, you cannot overheat, like ever. Just un-target when he chaffs and shoot them fixed until chaff is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I'm running dual gimbal multi-cannons.

Effective as all gently caress, until you run out of ammo.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Trying again.

:siren: Regarding Diamond Frogs :siren:

Morter posted:

Well I tried to sign up for it because there was a push, but it said my registration was invalid because I didn't put anything in the inara fields.

I had never heard of inara before 10 minutes ago, but is it necessary to sign up to, to join the diamond frogs? Because the fields lacked the red asterisks...

Morter fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 8, 2016

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I'm running a High Cap. Magazine 4 Gimballed Frag (with Incendiary) on one hardpoint and an Overcharged 5 Gimballed Multicannon (with Corrosive) on my Vulture and it. is. loving. nasty. The frag does 200 DPS, and it just loving dunks on shields so hard. Corrosive multicannon shreds hull and makes it even more vulnerable to damage.

Ammo isn't a concern since the material costs for reloading in the field are negligible.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Morter posted:

Trying again.

Yes we're working on it, you can come on the discord for now and @Paramemetic message me and I'll get you sorted on Discord until our webapp guy can remove that field entirely. Inara is how we used to sort poo poo and it shouldn't be a mandatory question but for some reason it seems to be.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

Trying again.

Inara.cz is an e:d social media platform, we don't really use it for anything anymore (and everything's on discord at this point) but it works as an "official" roll call for the group. You should probably go register there.

Para fix your poo poo.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So its been about a year since I last asked this and I want to see how opinions changed in the meantime.

Is Elite: Dangerous a good videogame?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

khwarezm posted:

So its been about a year since I last asked this and I want to see how opinions changed in the meantime.

Some of the time, it is.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

This depends vastly on what you expect a video game to have.

Its less of Xwing vs Tie Fighter but more of a Han Solo simulator.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

khwarezm posted:

It really depends on what you are looking for.

I will say this - It's a MUCH better game now than what it was at release. It has come a very long way.

That may not be enough depending on what you are looking for.

There is still no meaningful multiplayer content in a game that claims to be an MMO. To many that is an absolute deal breaker.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

khwarezm posted:

It's like the best game if you want something moderately distracting while you watch Netflix

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Yup, it rules! (It ruled a year ago too.)

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

khwarezm posted:

As I've said to others: I use this game as a Freelancer substitute. Get in a ship you like, do missions (or free bounty hunting), have fun or rage-quit. Except freelancer didn't have (as much?) ragequitting for me. Nevertheless, it's just about the only feasible game to do it in, and it's very pretty, so it's immersive and attractive. It really does have its lovely moments, but otherwise, I'm quite happy I got it, and even Horizons.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'd say that Elite isn't a good "game" but it is a very, very good "owning a spaceship simulator."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Elite is good if you are a broken, good if you are a cool person and like hanging out with other cool people on discord mocking the poo poo out of the brown sea and Frontier. If you aren't either of those then well...

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I need to do something with the pulse lasers on my corvette. Are any of the special effects worth it for plain jane PVE shoot-ships?

Scramble spectrum looks like it only applies to hull hits, so why bother when I'm just going to tear the power plant apart in about 3 seconds after the shields are done (hooray overcharged multicannons). Thermal shock counts against shields, but it comes with a hefty DPS tax and I've read that NPCs are kind of ambivalent about overheating. And again, why bother trying to cook an NPC over the long-term when they're quickly dead as soon as their shields go down. Same can be said for phasing sequence more or less.

FWIW, I'm planning to go with Efficient Weapon for maximum sustained fire on one pip in WEP while using 4 pips in ENG for glorious dirty drive turn-fighting.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I just got back from my 5500 lightyear jaunt, plopped down into a Sirius station and prepared to sell my two million in exploration dathaha no, it took more like six million. I quickly went from 'oh boy, gonna max out a bunch of little factions to' 'oh god I'm running out of data fast'. It really didn't help when the game decided to crash after I'd just dumped about 400k worth of scans. Thankfully I still managed to hit allied with 250k worth of scans left over, got my pass to the Sirius system, got the introduction to Quent, took off to head to his base...

...and promptly got interdicted by a pirate. What the gently caress? I have to get a super secret pass to enter the system, but some random rear end in a top hat can just wander in and jump me no problem? He ran like a bitch after the first facefull of mines and seemed to be slower than I was in any event since I had to slow down to even get him close enough for the mines to hit, so it's not like I was all that inconvenienced, but still it was irksome that a supposedly locked-down system still has random idiots flying around with no sign of the local authorities attacking them.

Anyways, I dumped the six terminals I'd been carrying around the whole time on Quent, so now I need five more missions giving them out to finally wrap him up and head off for Palin.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you like flying around in space it's the only game in town thats not a pretty lazy purely proc gen planet explorer, a scummy, scammy trainwreck, or a 13 year old mmo.

I personally love how i really feel like im in a space ship, in a universe that feels real, and engaging in dogfights with the space police giving me back up or running illegal cargo. It feels alive and cohesive and for all it lacks it's more or less the best at what it sets out to do. The competition really is pretty bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Valatar posted:

I just got back from my 5500 lightyear jaunt, plopped down into a Sirius station and prepared to sell my two million in exploration dathaha no, it took more like six million. I quickly went from 'oh boy, gonna max out a bunch of little factions to' 'oh god I'm running out of data fast'. It really didn't help when the game decided to crash after I'd just dumped about 400k worth of scans. Thankfully I still managed to hit allied with 250k worth of scans left over, got my pass to the Sirius system, got the introduction to Quent, took off to head to his base...

...and promptly got interdicted by a pirate. What the gently caress? I have to get a super secret pass to enter the system, but some random rear end in a top hat can just wander in and jump me no problem? He ran like a bitch after the first facefull of mines and seemed to be slower than I was in any event since I had to slow down to even get him close enough for the mines to hit, so it's not like I was all that inconvenienced, but still it was irksome that a supposedly locked-down system still has random idiots flying around with no sign of the local authorities attacking them.

Anyways, I dumped the six terminals I'd been carrying around the whole time on Quent, so now I need five more missions giving them out to finally wrap him up and head off for Palin.

Were you on the Robigo train back in the day? It may take more data if your rep with them is tanked...

Also, any time you have engineer-related cargo (such as Modular Terminals), you will get interdicted constantly! Dump them as often as possible or avoid collecting them until you are ready.

Any one know if the rumors about storing engineer cargo at their bases is true?

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

Elite Dangerous is the best Being In A Spaceship Simulator available (and there's no competition in the pipeline that looks to be upsetting it, either). A lot of the game design is pointlessly nostalgic but it seems the developers are slowly figuring out that this leads to bad video game experiences and are trying to do away with the awful parts. New content is regularly added and we're due for a large content patch next month

I bought the game in late 2014 and have been playing it on and off ever since, and in the time since I have bought it, I have bought and stopped playing 22 different games on steam.

I would say elite dangerous is a Good Game, and Getting Better

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also, The mental math on engineer stuff I'm doing suggests that the high-cap power distributor is basically worthless and garbage next to the fast charge. Is that right?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Morter posted:

the org?

Sea Org. Scientology are all over E:D because they get to fly space DC8s and pretend to drop slaves into volcanoes.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bushiz posted:

Also, The mental math on engineer stuff I'm doing suggests that the high-cap power distributor is basically worthless and garbage next to the fast charge. Is that right?

Correct, high cap is never worth it. In fact, Charge Enhanced is always the best choice with the exception of certain niche builds that can use ENG Focused.

Bushiz posted:

Elite Dangerous is the best Being In A Spaceship Simulator available (and there's no competition in the pipeline that looks to be upsetting it, either). A lot of the game design is pointlessly nostalgic but it seems the developers are slowly figuring out that this leads to bad video game experiences and are trying to do away with the awful parts. New content is regularly added and we're due for a large content patch next month

I bought the game in late 2014 and have been playing it on and off ever since, and in the time since I have bought it, I have bought and stopped playing 22 different games on steam.

I would say elite dangerous is a Good Game, and Getting Better

This is entirely fair and accurate.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

Correct, high cap is never worth it. In fact, Charge Enhanced is always the best choice with the exception of certain niche builds that can use ENG Focused.

I actually default to WEP Focused because:

1. Distributors have an increasing surplus of SYS and ENG regen rate as they get larger, even at a single pip. Boosting that regen any is a waste, especially when in combat you're frequently putting 4 pips in to one or the other to tank damage or get extra turn speed.

2. Your WEP bar will last significantly longer from full to empty at lvl 3 WEP Focused compared to a lvl 5 Charge Enhanced, last time I did the math anyway. Maybe if you're repeatedly draining your WEP bar during combat then Charge Enhanced comes out ahead, but in that case you probably need more efficient weapons anyway.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
The more I think about it, the more I think I'd be OK with a delay for ship transport, so long as it's not longer than, say, 5 minutes for anywhere in the bubble.

Any longer than that, and the Anti-Fun Brigade have won.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Bargearse posted:

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd be OK with a delay for ship transport, so long as it's not longer than, say, 5 minutes for anywhere in the bubble.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved delayed transfer.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Gromit posted:

Sea Org. Scientology are all over E:D because they get to fly space DC8s and pretend to drop slaves into volcanoes.

If this is real its loving hilarious.

This game is a great fly spaceships in space simulator. The thing that really nails it for me is the sound effects. They've done some great work and I don't know why but the engine sounds just absolutely do it for me every time. That rocket burn sound when a bunch of ships are passing right up across your grill is pretty amazing too.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

3 posted:

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved delayed transfer.

Oh poo poo, they've gotten to me too

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
In light of the controversy on the elite dangerous forums concerning the speed at which ships should be able to be transferred between different places I would like to request that that mods please change the name of this thread to Elite Dangerous: Horizons - Gonna Die Autistic on the Lunar Road.

Also lowtax if you are reading this please make a new world filter that replaces "immersion" with "autism."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Elite Dangerous: Horizons - The Engineers (The Guardians) - The Possibility of Your Fun Ruins My Immersion

quote:

Well the most obvious point - as has been pointed out - what do you do at the moment?

Given with a delayed transfer you can now get your ship supplied probably quicker than you having to go and get it yourself, so can do something else (more interesting than those 25 jumps).

And indeed, you can even get your ship(s) to you while you sleep overnight? You can end your evening with a final considered ship transportation request...

As for the suggestions that instant transportation will allow people to go about gameplay quicker and more easily, that is almost certainly correct.

But the problem some people will raise, is, at what expense?

Why bother flying anywhere of any significant distant in anything other than your taxi Asp/Anaconda, and once you get to your destination instantly transport your real ship of choice over? This alone is a fairly core change to gameplay. Fly your taxi, call the ship you really want... Repeat...

And this could be the case in various other guises too? eg: If you find a profitable trade route where you only carry cargo in one direction and go back empty in the other. Why bother even flying your T9 back (empty) along that route, when you can instead use your Asp taxi to save you two jumps?

Then there's even subtle potential changes. ie: A CMDR is pirated by another CMDR. With instant ship transfer he can have his combat FDL there for revenge immediately with instant ship transfer. With delayed, at least there's most likely some form of delay (still). [Please don't raise the topic of griefers - That's a crime and punishment discussion]

Why fly the Python you want to use to that system 200LY away, when you'd get there quicker in your taxi and instantly transport your Python there? And if you found any interesting USS, or were interdicted enroute? How would the gameplay be different if you were in your combat Python rather than your taxi? You'll certainly be less likely to interact with such events in your taxi.

So in short, as appealing as instant transfer is (I was on that side of the fence until I thought things through for a while more), for me delayed still offers a real quality of life improvement, but more importantly it does so without denting the existing gameplay too much.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Oh noes, someone might abuse instant transfer to save two jumps (approximately 30 seconds)... I bet it takes longer to load the new ship than that anyway.

These people are loving dumb. I've stopped trying to argue with them*

*for now

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bargearse posted:

Boy do I have news for you!

The suggested times that Frontier put in the poll are a minimum of five minutes, and an average of 100 minutes for transport from one side of the bubble to the other.

So you're automatically in no-fun mode for a single hop move because Frontier is being arbitrary again.

:frontear:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Hey guys, just gott say, played with a few frog goons tonight, got tons of good advice and patient answers to dumb questions and these guys are really good at taking some of the pain away of learning the finer points of this game. If you don't necessarily want to just play solo you should definitely consider their outfit.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Paramemetic posted:

Boy do I have news for you!

The suggested times that Frontier put in the poll are a minimum of five minutes, and an average of 100 minutes for transport from one side of the bubble to the other.

So you're automatically in no-fun mode for a single hop move because Frontier is being arbitrary again.

:frontear:

I still don't get Frontier-math. In 100 minutes I could travel from one side of the bubble and back in an FDL with a D-class FSD. Why would I pay a service to transport my ship if for that time I can do it myself? Thanks to all those loading times inbetween jumps I don't even have to stop reading my book to concentrate on the game.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

Dangerous: Horizons - Gonna Die Autistic on the Lunar Road.

Also lowtax if you are reading this please make a new world filter that replaces "immersion" with "autism."

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

I still don't get Frontier-math. In 100 minutes I could travel from one side of the bubble and back in an FDL with a D-class FSD. Why would I pay a service to transport my ship if for that time I can do it myself? Thanks to all those loading times inbetween jumps I don't even have to stop reading my book to concentrate on the game.

You could run out of fuel though, fly into a sun, get interdickted, accidently uninstall the game or something like that.

Lots of these taxi questions would solve themselves if you could "buy" blueprints from engineers to have them available in every starport with a loving outfitter.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If they're going the no-fun route they should go all in.

Ship transfers should take a week of real time and there is no confirmation dialogue box to back out.

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

Thanks for all the helpfull posts concerning controls, looks like K&M is hard to learn but once you get used to it it should be more than doable.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

You could run out of fuel though, fly into a sun, get interdickted, accidently uninstall the game or something like that.

Lots of these taxi questions would solve themselves if you could "buy" blueprints from engineers to have them available in every starport with a loving outfitter.

The game could also crash or freeze during a ship-transfer, sending your ship into the netherworld, never to be seen again. Or during the waiting time some server-fuckery could happen, with either the same effect or your ship is transformed into a black phantom version, stylish but totally unusable. (That last thing happens to stellar objects you've scanned if the server holding exploration data is getting uppity. Now imagine something similar happen to your ship in transit.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Libluini posted:

The game could also crash or freeze during a ship-transfer, sending your ship into the netherworld, never to be seen again. Or during the waiting time some server-fuckery could happen, with either the same effect or your ship is transformed into a black phantom version, stylish but totally unusable. (That last thing happens to stellar objects you've scanned if the server holding exploration data is getting uppity. Now imagine something similar happen to your ship in transit.)

I wouldnt love to see my ship comming out of the warp infested with demons and bleeding horned skulls all over it.
Id probably not simply spam transfer just to make it happen.

• Locked thread