Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Just bought DWTI after the surge today. Looks like the bulk of the huge draw was from imports and gulf shut-ins, both affected by the Hurricane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Is it because Twitter is a poo poo service?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I haven't read a single thing about Twitter's financials besides recurrent "Twitter fails to make money again" headlines, but as a regular user of the site I'm 100% convinced the management has no idea what they're doing. Every feature they've introduced for years has been total poo poo and, to me, indicative that they have no idea why people use the site.

If they can't make money during presidential election season, when 100% of people in the expendable-income-having demographics spend hours on the site arguing I dunno if they ever will.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah honestly I'm baffled that Twitter is as highly valued as it is.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Almost time to wade into SCTY

Shampy
Apr 27, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm never in here but Wells Fargo just announced (10 mins ago) 5300 laid off and 130+ million in fees. Stocks haven't taken a hit. Would this be a situation where people would short? 49.90 at 3:52pm est.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Shear Modulus posted:

I haven't read a single thing about Twitter's financials besides recurrent "Twitter fails to make money again" headlines, but as a regular user of the site I'm 100% convinced the management has no idea what they're doing. Every feature they've introduced for years has been total poo poo and, to me, indicative that they have no idea why people use the site.

If they can't make money during presidential election season, when 100% of people in the expendable-income-having demographics spend hours on the site arguing I dunno if they ever will.

You should look at the dotcom bubble, companies bragged about not making money so they could grow market share.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Just bought a bunch of tin.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Anyone want some tin? Got a lot over here

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Buy some copper and start a bronze hedge fund

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Just don't store it in Mexico to sidestep US tariffs like they are apparently doing with aluminum.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
What do you guys think about GEVO long term? I know their financials are a bit disastrous but their "partnership" with Butamax combined with a really solid IP portfolio, combined with the high-profile attention they're getting in the industry seems like they might have a solid shot with a worst case ending up in a buyout. Seems like the key concerns short term will be a reverse split and further dilution. Thoughts?

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

LLCoolJD posted:

The CNBC talking heads, who I assume know more than I do

I wouldn't bet too heavily on that.

greasyhands posted:

Almost time to wade into SCTY

I think theres a huge downside risk there, if the deal falls through it could very easily hit single digits. At that point you seriously have to question its chances for survival

R.A. Dickey fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 9, 2016

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Two months until the election. Anyone have plans in the event of a Trump win? He's been complaining about the low rates. Plus, he is who he is.

R.A. Dickey posted:

I wouldn't bet too heavily on that.

:shrug: Despite their superior knowledge of the nuts and bolts, they had another guy on today calling for TWTR to sink as far as $9/share. With him on, the other "regulars" were all more bearish than they were just the other day.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

Two months until the election. Anyone have plans in the event of a Trump win? He's been complaining about the low rates. Plus, he is who he is.

Like any other extremely unlikely disaster, I think you should spend about fifteen minutes making sure you have some bottled water, a first aid kit, and some canned food set aside wherever you keep your durable goods, and then don't think about it any more.

e. I'd like to add that news articles about his surge in national polling are red herrings, we do not elect presidents by national votes. He is still hopelessly behind in electoral college votes and is not showing any sudden remarkable change in strategy that will change that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 9, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For what it's worth, my "trump wins" plan is to max out my credit cards buying conflict-free diamonds, swallow them, and then smuggle myself to a non-extradition country beyond the reach of Visa and Mastercard. If it seems like there's time, I'll try to bring my wife, too.

e. actually gently caress diamonds, their high price is based on a monopoly and who knows if it'll hold up in the apocalypse. I'll buy and swallow... I dunno, emeralds or something. What's an expensive gemstone that they can't produce artificially yet? Sapphires?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Leperflesh posted:

For what it's worth, my "trump wins" plan is to max out my credit cards buying conflict-free diamonds, swallow them, and then smuggle myself to a non-extradition country beyond the reach of Visa and Mastercard. If it seems like there's time, I'll try to bring my wife, too.

e. actually gently caress diamonds, their high price is based on a monopoly and who knows if it'll hold up in the apocalypse. I'll buy and swallow... I dunno, emeralds or something. What's an expensive gemstone that they can't produce artificially yet? Sapphires?

I thought the response would involve short selling a bunch of stocks. This is good, though.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

LLCoolJD posted:

Unlike with Brexit, we have much better polls when it comes to the presidential elections and should see what's coming pretty clearly by early November.

But if you believe there's a chance that Trump wins, you want to have OTM puts on the USD, SPY, and, hell, even Treasurys. Basically, short everything because foreign holders (if not nervous domestic ones) will flee for the fuckin' exits.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Leperflesh posted:

We can make all of those, but it doesn't do much to the price of good expensive natural stones. But I guess Pariba or Tanzanite. Maybe some precious non reactive metals like platinum.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Hah, the ceo of a company I worked for did this. Big sack full of diamonds and jetted to Namibia. Interpol caught up to him at some point I guess, but he still hasn't been sent back. Probably they won't come after you unless you manage to ring up 8 figures in credit card debt.

Kobi Alexander, comverse.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

You should look at the dotcom bubble, companies bragged about not making money so they could grow market share.

That applies to current startup bubble even more than it did to dotcoms. Having revenues or god forbid profits is completely undesirable, the only goals are explosive growth into platform monopoly or ridiculous valuation into quick exit and payout.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
DIS.... Why?!???

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Nice Meltdown.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Oh yeah come on SDS.

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

Out of the TSLA trade for a nice hundred bux. :toot:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

VendaGoat posted:

Nice Meltdown.

Finally things are moving again. Been a boring rear end summer for markets.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wish the Fed would either just raise rates or shut up about it except at the meetings. Every time some regional bank chucklefuck opens their mouth to give their opinion the entire market takes a hit because everyone is so drat worried about it and it's annoying :argh:

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Hopefully the market has a short term correction. However I don't think it will last for long, there is too much money on the sidelines and rates are still ridiculously low.

I think we will see a medium term correction roughly around the time the 5-year rises above the S&P 500 dividend yield. However I doubt even the Fed will be able to push that given the aforementioned cash on the sidelines and foreign instability. Maybe President Trump will boot out all the foreign money from the 10-year market, who knows.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Moridin920 posted:

I wish the Fed would either just raise rates or shut up about except at the meetings. Every time some regional bank chucklefuck opens their mouth to give their opinion the entire market takes a hit because everyone is so drat worried about it and it's annoying :argh:

If they did that, reactions to rate action would be much more precipitous, which could have potential snowball effects.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

I wish the Fed would either just raise rates or shut up about it except at the meetings. Every time some regional bank chucklefuck opens their mouth to give their opinion the entire market takes a hit because everyone is so drat worried about it and it's annoying :argh:

"Just stick it in already!" :v:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cheesemaster200 posted:

If they did that, reactions to rate action would be much more precipitous, which could have potential snowball effects.

Oh yeah this constant teasing from various regional bank authorities going 'well maybe lol' and 'but maybe not haha' is much better.

I'm not saying crank the rates in a day but it would be nice if they were a little more clear in their messaging instead of just throwing out vague guesswork every couple weeks and letting the market decide odds based on that.

I mean the guy's statement was so vague as to be almost meaningless why even say anything. "The longer we wait, the more risks there are. A case can be made for gradual increases based on data." Well no poo poo sherlock. What does that mean in terms of your vote this month??? Nothing.

Oh well good day to buy I guess.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Why is everything down today? Did Hillary cough 3x in quick succession?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why is everything down today? Did Hillary cough 3x in quick succession?

She did?!?!?!

*sells off 401k

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I keep flip flopping on this but I kind of think a rate hike is much more likely this year than people think, at this point banks around the world kind of have to. They need to dig their heels in and say "look shitheads, do your loving job and legislate some fiscal stimulus if that's what the economy needs, this monetary environment it too stupid and fragile". ECB seems to have set this tone with their last talk if anyone listened to it, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see other reserve banks shift in this direction.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

oxsnard posted:

Last TSLA post for now:

Buy your puts y'all, fireworks coming next week. I'm gonna leave it at that.

9/2/2016 TSLA Open: 202.33
9/9/2016 TSLA Close: 194.47

Your "insider information" is not valuable. You cannot predict the motion of this stock accurately. You cannot advise people how to trade this stock effectively.

Not only all of the above, but you present your information as if you did actually have valuable information and are providing valuable advice.

Your limitations in the face of an irrational stock are not moral failings, it's just consistent with the recurring theme of this thread re:TSLA; it's too irrational to trade.

Your representation of yourself as anything other than another rube who cannot effectively trade TSLA is, however.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

9/2/2016 TSLA Open: 202.33
9/9/2016 TSLA Close: 194.47

Your "insider information" is not valuable. You cannot predict the motion of this stock accurately. You cannot advise people how to trade this stock effectively.

Not only all of the above, but you present your information as if you did actually have valuable information and are providing valuable advice.

Your limitations in the face of an irrational stock are not moral failings, it's just consistent with the recurring theme of this thread re:TSLA; it's too irrational to trade.

Your representation of yourself as anything other than another rube who cannot effectively trade TSLA is, however.

Is this how CPAs dis one another?

loving brutal.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Double Bill posted:

That applies to current startup bubble even more than it did to dotcoms. Having revenues or god forbid profits is completely undesirable, the only goals are explosive growth into platform monopoly or ridiculous valuation into quick exit and payout.
I've worked many years in the tech startup world and the joke I go back to is, "Your company isn't raising VC? How do you pay your employees?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

VendaGoat posted:

Is this how CPAs dis one another?

loving brutal.

Brokers, but close!

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Hopefully the market has a short term correction. However I don't think it will last for long, there is too much money on the sidelines and rates are still ridiculously low.

I think we will see a medium term correction roughly around the time the 5-year rises above the S&P 500 dividend yield. However I doubt even the Fed will be able to push that given the aforementioned cash on the sidelines and foreign instability. Maybe President Trump will boot out all the foreign money from the 10-year market, who knows.

Isn't a lot of the justification for current market pe that low rates accelerate growth so stocks are justified in high valuations? If rates raise or say current gdp projections keep coming in around 2% then the whole story is a farce. The amount of purchasing the ecb and Japanese central bank has done is staggering but short of bringing yields down in debt and juicing markets they still can't spark inflation. What exit strategies even exist? You stop doing it and today's actions become normal. Liquidation of any degree could create larger sell off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Oh hey, I was only down 2.3% today :v: