Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Yvonmukluk posted:

It's also a massive improvement over the other story where Flash gets bit because it doesn't end with Peter Parker in his classic costume with his traditional powers, only slightly later than usual.

Although I love that one, too (despite the fact that all three stories end up with Peter making his own spider serum and becoming Spider Man) because the other two parts are great. Jameson putting his son over as Captain Spider and making Peter build him gadgets was great, and Gwen Stacy having Peter design her costume (which turns out to be barely there) and then going all silver-age "but I'm just a girl" is kinda funny, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red posted:

Holy cow - do you remember the issue? I really want to see this.

I always figured the web-shooters were more about precision touch.

It depends on the writer. I remember reading that Mackie issue at the time too and I thought it was cool, and it has stuck with me. I think of it when they show other people using the webshooters like it ain't no thang.

One thing that doesn't come up anymore, especially in the adaptations, is how the webshooters need(ed?) a double-tap to fire, or else making a fist or grabbing stuff would accidentally fire them. Easy to get around if you show that the trigger is wide and detects the absence of the other two fingers, but... they never do.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.
Crap, now Marvel Unlimited is down so I can't check. I actually think the other Spider-Person story in that What-If was Betty Brant.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lobok posted:

It depends on the writer. I remember reading that Mackie issue at the time too and I thought it was cool, and it has stuck with me. I think of it when they show other people using the webshooters like it ain't no thang.

One thing that doesn't come up anymore, especially in the adaptations, is how the webshooters need(ed?) a double-tap to fire, or else making a fist or grabbing stuff would accidentally fire them. Easy to get around if you show that the trigger is wide and detects the absence of the other two fingers, but... they never do.

The issue I was thinking of where Peter explains his powers to MJ is Spider-Man #26 (vol 1; 1992), or a free 1993 Halloween comic. Can't find any scans, though.

I wish I could find it, he goes into detail about being able to stick to walls and stuff.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Red posted:

The issue I was thinking of where Peter explains his powers to MJ is Spider-Man #26 (vol 1; 1992), or a free 1993 Halloween comic. Can't find any scans, though.

I wish I could find it, he goes into detail about being able to stick to walls and stuff.

I remember that one. Used to have all the 30th anniversary issues. Isn't it the one where he explains his bond to walls is crazy strong? It shows Colossus ripping him off a brick wall but only because the bricks broke apart from the rest of the wall.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lobok posted:

I remember that one. Used to have all the 30th anniversary issues. Isn't it the one where he explains his bond to walls is crazy strong? It shows Colossus ripping him off a brick wall but only because the bricks broke apart from the rest of the wall.

Yeah! The main story from that issue was a waste of time, but the mini about his powers was great.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Section Z posted:

The fact Spiderman had something so drastically embarrasing happen to him, should have been all the proof they needed he was the real deal.

"I want a deep medical scan with DNA checks on multiple levels in multiple locations. Also we're bringing in Xavier to do a sub-conscious and conscious mind check with mechanical double checks all the way through, we also need-"

"Ah...I just pissed myself..."

"...get some sleep Peter, we'll see you tomorrow."

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Duke Igthorn posted:

"I want a deep medical scan with DNA checks on multiple levels in multiple locations. Also we're bringing in Xavier to do a sub-conscious and conscious mind check with mechanical double checks all the way through, we also need-"

"Ah...I just pissed myself..."

"...get some sleep Peter, we'll see you tomorrow."
Exactly.

We need more Spider-Man suffering in a funny manner, not a depressing manner.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Question IRL posted:

I love that story because I love when What If's branch off from a story instead of being "What If Daredevil...was a caveman!"

That's usually the key difference between What If's and Elseworlds, with exceptions.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Flintstones #3

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Red posted:

Turnabout is fair play.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Quesada was a real rear end in a top hat to take that away from Peter.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yo homeboy.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
It's a weird feeling seeing Spider-Man be happy. I think maybe, on some level, it's because unhappy Spider-Man has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It looks so beautiful, and he so deserves it, but the fact that you know something is going to gently caress it all up kind of makes you not want it to happen.

gently caress, how in the hell does Spider-Man have any self-esteem left? Now I'm depressed. :smith:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Bravo posted:

It's a weird feeling seeing Spider-Man be happy. I think maybe, on some level, it's because unhappy Spider-Man has become a self-fulfilling prophecy. It looks so beautiful, and he so deserves it, but the fact that you know something is going to gently caress it all up kind of makes you not want it to happen.

gently caress, how in the hell does Spider-Man have any self-esteem left? Now I'm depressed. :smith:

At some point Parker Luck became less about the trials and tribulations a normal person would face being a superhero if they didn't have as much plot armour as Cap or Iron Man and turned into Murphy's Law.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Captain Bravo posted:

I recently picked up Spider Man and the X-men, and I don't know, he had some things to be proud of in there

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Captain Bravo posted:

gently caress, how in the hell does Spider-Man have any self-esteem left?

That annual where he returns the phone.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Detective No. 27 posted:

Flintstones #3

I remember the last Flintstones post coming in for pretty heavy criticism, but that one made me laugh. :thumbsup:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Did Logan become part of the Dallas Buyer's Club?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

prefect posted:

I remember the last Flintstones post coming in for pretty heavy criticism, but that one made me laugh. :thumbsup:

Flintstones #3 has prehistoric Carl Sagan and aliens. It was good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

prefect posted:

If the other posts are any indication I'm sure they leave him on hold long enough that he kills himself. Because the new Flintstone comic is serious business.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

X-O posted:

If the other posts are any indication I'm sure they leave him on hold long enough that he kills himself. Because the new Flintstone comic is serious business.

He actually comes to the aid of the other veterans when they fight back against the spring breaking aliens, and is killed by an alien. The other veterans are disappointed that the new statue doesn't honor him, but instead honors a chimp they tried to catapult into space.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

X-O posted:

HB's new comics in general seem to shift towards dark and serious between the 2 (soon to be 3) post apocalypses and this Flintstones book where every issue deals with death, war crimes, or other dark topics.

Still rather tame compared to that mid 2000s Space Ghost book that tried it's damnedest to distance itself from Coast to Coast with unintentionally hilarious results.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think DC is trying just a little too hard with these Hanna Barbera books.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Isnt that dc in general?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Some people look at the premise of The Flintstones and see an rich, untapped vein of black humor. God bless.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SynthOrange posted:

Isnt that dc in general?

I dunno, most of the books I'm reading don't seem to be doing that. Granted I'm not reading a lot of their stuff. Just seems someone is set on making sure that these kids cartoons get treated as serious comic booking.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I dunno about the others because I'm not reading them, but Flintstones isn't really grimdark at all. It's just got loads of gallows humor and plays twists on conventions from the original. If that's not your bag that's fine, but I dunno why everyone is acting like it's Identity Crisis or something.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Yabba Dabba Dark

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Yabba Dabba Doom and Despair!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm mostly just curious how many kids got their hands on these comics.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dark maybe, but that doesn't seem grim to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Future Quest is good at least. Even though the regular artist has already screwed up the schedule and caused need for a fill in issue.

Bongo Bill posted:

Dark maybe, but that doesn't seem grim to me.

It's more that a "Haha, nobody cares about the plight of veterans!" joke in a Flintstone comic just seems all manners of forced.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 8, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yabba Dabba Dark

Uh...actually, the new canon for the Flintstones comic is the phrase "Yabba Dabba Doo" is a phrase used by PTSD-suffering war veterans when triggered into an episode to regain their balance. So you're more accurate than you'd think.

That being said, it's also not really grimdark serious like, say, the new Wacky Races comic is (which I'm probably gonna drop), it's really super black humor but doesn't really dwell on any of the hosed-up statements it puts forward, leaving that up to the reader to realize. It's definitely not for everyone, and the second issue is kind of a total mess (which is where all the panels that caused all the commotion came from last time), but this most recent issue is really really good while also being very funny.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Uh...actually, the new canon for the Flintstones comic is the phrase "Yabba Dabba Doo" is a phrase used by PTSD-suffering war veterans when triggered into an episode to regain their balance.

Well speaking of forced...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

It's more that a "Haha, nobody cares about the plight of veterans!" joke in a Flintstone comic just seems all manners of forced.

It's not, really, Fred being a vet is a central plot point of the comic.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

SilverSupernova posted:

Still rather tame compared to that mid 2000s Space Ghost book that tried it's damnedest to distance itself from Coast to Coast with unintentionally hilarious results.

Was this the same book that revealed Space Ghost's name to be his same name from Coast to Coast? Tadd Ghost or something like that? Not a good way of distancing itself from it.

Re; spider shooters. Spidey did try to sell his webbing as adhesive, but was turned down because it did eventually dissolved.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yabba dabba doo being a made up nonsense phrase to help veterans keep calm was dumb, I agree, but otherwise I can't really tell what you want out of the Flintstones, XO. I mean like I said, it's fine if that's not your cup of tea, but you're putting forward that it's a wrong direction, so what would be a more correct one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

X-O posted:

Eh, I'd argue part of the humor is precisely how weirdly incongruous with the original's banal 1950s sitcom humor the new jokes and plot setups are, but I can see how it'd be off-putting so I don't think I'd give it unqualified recommendations. Seems to work for me.